Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-03-2008, 22:23   #1
wyattearp

G 23 Defense Set 1 of 2

What do you know of a "Defense Set" issue G21 & G23, both 2nd generation?
wyattearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 21:43   #2
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

http://www.glockfaq.com/rare.htm#defense

My set that is pictured there is a 9mm set. If you have both guns together and they're matching they're definitely worth more than a single G23 and G27 separately. I paid about $150-$200 premium over what a pair of these guns were worth at the time. They are NIB too, though. I'd say as time goes buy, they are harder to find in NIB and together, so the premium for having an unbroken and/or unfired set should go up exponentially compared to a broken or fired set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Last edited by MakeMineA10mm; 12-04-2008 at 21:46..
MakeMineA10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 15:59   #3
wyattearp

That's a great link, but here's the twist: the 23 is in the AAC series but is a much lower serial number than 1499, and the companion piece is a 21. Not sure what serial number, but has the same slide stamping. Any thoughts?
wyattearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 21:16   #4
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Not without seeing them... Can you send me a picture?

My e-mail: MakeMineA10mm@hotmail.com

I guess at first blush, what I'd say is that it is probably a "put-together" set, and therefore a hoax. Someone could have had the G-21 engraved with "2 of 2" and had the slide refinished, possibly even by Glock to make it look good...

The idea behind the Defense Sets was that the owner would have matching compact and subcompact in the same caliber. Not only did this make ammo interchangeable, but it allows one to use the compact's larger-capacity mags in the sub-compact. (If you carry both guns, you'd just carry the compact's spare mags and be able to reload either/both pistols.)

One should never say "never" but I doubt Glock made a Defense Set in the same serial number range with a full-size 45 and a mid-size 40... Just doesn't make sense.

The G23 should be marked "1 of 2" and the G27 should be marked "2 of 2". The G23 should have a serial number between AAC0000 and AAC1499, so if it's lower, but has the same prefix that means it's a standard 40-caliber defense set item. Nothing unusual about that (other than it's a defense set gun...).

What is the G21 marked, as far as "1 of 2" or "2 of 2"? Also, does the serial number on the G21 match the serial number on the G23??

Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:32   #5
camojeeper

im gonna bring this back up to the top.
I have an AAC1087 g23 1 of 2 defense set glocks how would I go about finding it lil brother? would the G27 Have the same AAC1087 serial?
TIA
camojeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 13:05   #6
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

The G27 for your set would be AAD1087.

Finding it would be a challenge. Not impossible, but very close to it. When you do find it, you'll have to hope the interim owner kept the boxes and paperwork; kept it in good condition; etc....

The only sure way to get a set in collectible shape is to buy one that's been kept together, and apparently, that's rarer than one would think.

There were 500 sets in 9mm and 1500 sets in 40.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Old 01-01-2013, 19:01   #7
camojeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post
The G27 for your set would be AAD1087.

Finding it would be a challenge. Not impossible, but very close to it. When you do find it, you'll have to hope the interim owner kept the boxes and paperwork; kept it in good condition; etc....

The only sure way to get a set in collectible shape is to buy one that's been kept together, and apparently, that's rarer than one would think.

There were 500 sets in 9mm and 1500 sets in 40.

Posted using [URL="http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/"]Outdoor Hub Campfire[/URL]
Thank you
camojeeper is offline   Reply With Quote