Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:50   #61
pulaskipusher
Topodaworldma!

I thought I had mentioned Foxfire, hrm must have been in another forum. Sure wish I could find the set for cheap. My dad got me a couple books for my birthday, One being "Naked into the Wilderness Primitive WIlderness Living and Survival Skills" By John & Geri McPherson. Sofar it's a good book. The other book is "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzales, I think it's an account of survival stories and goes into the phycis of survival.

Not sure if anybody has mention Tom Brown Jr yet, his books are awesome and should be owned by everybody.

Drive it like you rented it, not like you stole it. Cus if you stole it, you'd be driving 5 mph below the speed limit and using your turn signals.
pulaskipusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 23:44   #62
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulaskipusher View Post
I thought I had mentioned Foxfire, hrm must have been in another forum. Sure wish I could find the set for cheap. My dad got me a couple books for my birthday, One being "Naked into the Wilderness Primitive WIlderness Living and Survival Skills" By John & Geri McPherson. Sofar it's a good book. The other book is "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzales, I think it's an account of survival stories and goes into the phycis of survival.

Not sure if anybody has mention Tom Brown Jr yet, his books are awesome and should be owned by everybody.
Not cheap by any stretch, but here's a link to where you can purchase the whole "Foxfire" series.

http://www.foxfire.org/thefoxfirebookseries.aspx

May you have food and raiment, a soft pillow for your head, and may you be forty years in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead! - Old Irish Toast
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 20:26   #63
fourdeuce2

I haven't read all the Foxfire books, but I did like the first 6. After that, I found they were getting more into entertainment-type subjects instead of the more practical subjects the early books covered.
Old 04-25-2008, 00:43   #64
G21patriot

http://ed-day.blogspot.com/

bird flu fiction
G21patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 21:47   #65
fourdeuce2

I recently read another one that I've added to my collection. It's The Black Death by Gwyneth Cravens and John S. Marr. It's about the Black Plague popping up in NYC.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:26   #66
RED64CJ5

Has anyone noticed the number of survival/preparedness books that are out of stock on Amazon? I was trying to order some as gifts the other day and most everything I wanted was gone...
RED64CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 13:11   #67
gotplastic

Does anyone have Deep Winter and Shattered in PDF ?? Would appreciate an email of them if you please.... elglockATgmailDOTcom

thank you
gotplastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 17:08   #68
fourdeuce2

I just added these two books to my collection after reading them:
The Big One - Kevin E. Ready
The Black Death - Gwyneth Cravens and John S. Marr
The Big One is about a series of big earthquakes hitting Los Angeles and the aftermath.
The Black Death is about a plague epidemic hitting the US.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:03   #69
NavyFan

I'm about halfway through Lucifer's Hammer and I'm very impressed. It's a great read--very exciting and the writing is excellent. Not just a survival book with a novel thrown in, but just an excellent book. Writing about that many characters is NOT easy, and the authors are doing a super job so far.

Two thumbs way up for this book.
NavyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 19:47   #70
Fisher 21

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Influenz...5935657&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Survivi...5935741&sr=1-1

Boston T. Party's is for Y2K but still a quality read as is all his stuff. (If you don't have his gun bible, you are truly missing out). The Great Influenza is a good look at history and personnally, IMHO, something that we may face (again) in our lifetime.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:13   #71
quake

While not wilderness-living oriented, Ayn Rand’s “We the Living” is worth including in the list imo. Although fiction, her depiction of 1920's Russia takes you thru a lot of the characters’ physical, social and emotional privations and their various responses to those things.

I’d started re-reading it last week, but quit when the election results came in. The book is pretty dreary & even depressing, and I just didn’t feel like subjecting myself to that any more than necessary after seeing how the election came out.

Whether or not a person agrees with all of Rand’s philosophies (she had just a visceral animosity for any form of religion), she was imo a brilliant intellect and that book in particular shows some of the privations people face in times of harsh, long-term economic & social hardship. Black- and gray-market dealings (as FerFAL has mentioned popping up in Argentina), facing wintertime with failing (or failed) utility services, even little thought-of things like smoky rooms & allergy-esque issues from using unseasoned firewood; it offers what I consider a pretty good ‘thru-the-window’ peek into what the people in those times would have had to deal with and slog thru on a daily basis. Mostly they’re the problems faced by city-dwellers in this particular book; not a lot of rural characters or settings in the book.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:16   #72
Aquanewt

I've had a set of books called "The Foxfire Books" for years. They tell you how to do just about anything from making soap to butchering animals. Started out as one book and interviews with 'mountain folk' and ended up as 5 or 6.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:29   #73
WSC36

I recently read:

Earth Abides--George Stewart

Alas Babylon--Pat Frank

and

A Wrinkle in the Skin--John Christopher

They are all very good books IMO. Earth Abides has a couple of hiccups, like gas still being good for a bit too long than realistic...but is was still great. I could see that Stephen King borrowed heavily from this when writing "The Stand".

Alas Babylon is a bit better, but short. I would have loved to see it a couple hundred pages longer.

A Wrinkle in the Skin is an earthquake EOTWAWKI novel and well written. Slightly dated, but very good if a bit short also. Still in print, I bought my copy online.

Non-fiction I added "Survive" by Les Stroud and "Wildwood Wisdom" by Ellsworth Jaeger and would recommend both as practical and easy to understand 'how to' books in the field of woodcraft and survival.

Benjamin Franklin
WSC36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 14:04   #74
KILLERtj
F.I.B.

I recently added:

98.6 Degrees
When All Hell Breaks Loose

both by Cody Lundin

Anybody read these books? What are your thoughts on them?

Thanks,
KILLERtj
KILLERtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 15:56   #75
Jacked Up

I just ordered Matthew Brackens 3rd book in the Enemies series

" Foreign Enemies and Traitors" Hopefully as good as the others
Jacked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 16:12   #76
minnshooter

I just got done reading "North of the Sun" by Fred Hatfield. He lived in Alaska and trapped all winter. Very good book.
"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..."

James Madison
minnshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 16:19   #77
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

The Encyclopedia of Country Living
by Carla Emery

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-C...3225932&sr=1-1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:11   #78
tc556guy

Send a message via ICQ to tc556guy Send a message via Yahoo to tc556guy
One of my complaints over here has been the lack of survival type literature. I've managed to find some of the genre over here from time to time, but most of the books sent over seem to be old mysteries and westerns from 30 years ago that I suspect people sent in an effort to clean off their shelves. Thats fine for people who like those genres of literature. Last year when I was in Helmand there was almost a complete lack of ANY reading material; I asked my hometown book sale organization to send books, and they responded by sending REALLY bad novels and even some anti-war books, Go figure.

I suspect that most of the sci fi genre gets picked over pretty quickly and thus worn out quickly . I've compensated for that by packing multiple books from the FOBs I've been on that ahd libraries, brought multiple books back with me from leaves, and my wife sends me titles that I have requested.

Suddenly in the last month or so I've been seeing much more of TEOTWAWKI books, for some reason. I've been reading Down to a Sunless Sea by David Graham, Deep Sea Rising by Jack DuBrul, Black Monday by Bob Reiss, and Plague Year by Jeff Carlson.Today I was picking through some books and actually found some of the Dies the Fire series from Stirling, which I already have back home, but its worth noting because its the newest survival fiction I've seen in quite some time.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:53   #79
tc556guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourdeuce2 View Post
I've been collecting this type of book for about 30 years, and have collected quite a few of them. Here's my list of the ones I have in my library:
We share possession of many of the same titles; unfortunately my list of my collection didn't survive the death of my old laptop.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:08   #80
tc556guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotplastic View Post
Does anyone have Deep Winter and Shattered in PDF ?? Would appreciate an email of them if you please.... elglockATgmailDOTcom

thank you
I stumbled across this site

http://www.shtfinfo.com/shtffiles/books_and_reading/

That has a LOT of PDF survival stories.
If you go to the main menu, it seems to have the most complete collection of PDF info in one spot that I've found just about anywhere on-line.