GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2006, 18:24   #51
PaulMichael
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 99
----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by younggenious
Don't eat Suger, Hydrogenated Oils and Trans Fats. Don't eat ANYTHING PROCESSED! Natural fat from healthy range fed animals that have had access to naturally growing grass and sunshine is very healthy. Raw milk is a miracle super food. Meat is good for you. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Don't eat ANYTHING PROCESSED or Enriched. Don't eat Soy products.

I second that. My dogs eat 95% raw. Raw beef, raw chicken, raw turkey, raw organs, raw eggs, etc. They love cheese and won't eat the pasteurized stuff. They'll lick clean a bowl of raw milk.
PaulMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 19:28   #52
b97m
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 63
Crap. Yesterday I shot two pears out of my potatoe gun and fed the outer part to my dobe. Do you think its going to hurt him?
b97m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 17:26   #53
Ranger.357
NRA Member
 
Ranger.357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WA State
Posts: 1,309
We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?

The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.

Toxic Levels

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

Clinical Signs

Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

Hyper excitability
Hyper irritability
Increased heart rate
Restlessness
Increased urination
Muscle tremors
Vomiting
Diarrhea

Treatment

There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES...olatetoxic.HTM
__________________
G-17, G-26, G-21
------------------------------------------
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.
Ranger.357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:13   #54
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,683


My 10 lb doxie once at the following (on different occasions):

1. A whole bowl of hershey's kisses, including foil (estimated 20-30)
2. A 3 piece chicken dinner from Popeyes, bones, fries, all
3. A whole used filter of coffee grounds
4. Mountain of fudge (estimated at about 2 pounds)
5. Nicorette gum (2-3 pieces)
6. Raisins my kid threw down
7. Grapes my kid threw down

I'm sure there's more............
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:47.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,082
358 Members
724 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42