GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-07-2008, 22:05   #321
PetersenRD

I decided to apply for my CCW permit because you never know when you are going to need it. I practice family law in a smaller community. It is such a high emotion job, and no matter what the opposing party thinks that I'm trying to take them to the cleaners. I've had clients tell me their spouse has held loaded guns to their heads, and I'm always worried about running into these "pillars of society" around town.

I recently moved back to Utah and the Trolley Square Mall shooting really made me realize that you never know when or where you will need it. I'd rather carry for 50 years and never need it than to need it and wish I had it.
Old 05-08-2008, 16:57   #322
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
I am a survivor of a violent rape. The sub-human who attacked me was coming up eligible to see the parole board and he had promised me when he got out of prison, I was dead.

I have 2 kids to protect, so I took the class, got my CCW, bought my first gun and went into some extreme training courses to make sure I was prepared no matter what the situation.

I now own a .44 special (charter arms/bulldog), 2 .45s (a glock 30, and a ruger P345), a 9mm and a .25 (both astras).

I am waiting for my CCW to be issued in the new state...I was previously permitted in Colorado.
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 20:21   #323
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

You're a hero LG!

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 22:16   #324
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
You're a hero LG!
Sometimes I feel like a scared little girl, cowering in the corner...but I find strength in my faith and in my training. My training was intense enough to make me bawl at times...but at least I know I am as ready as I can be.

Thank you for your kind words
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:29   #325
G-19

I decided to carry when Ohio passed the CHL law.

I am a Correction Officer, and run into ex inmates all over the place. Most are friendly encounters, but a few have been unfriendly.

My most important reason for carrying is to protect myself and loved ones.
G-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 21:54   #326
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Hey everyone.
This is my first post!
Just got done with 325 posts. took me 2 1/2 days : )

You all have so many awesome stories.

My defining moment has yet to come.
I recently found that at age 18 I can legally own a handgun here in western PA!
I have been searching the net for a couple months, and then found GT, and have been devouring an many posts as I can.

I look forward to talking with you all, and would love to talk to some people packing in PA.
I'm really curious about open carry, but i'll keep that for the appropriate forum.

Anyway, to get back OT, thanks for the inspiring stories! there are a lot of real heroes above me!

~Andy
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:51   #327
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
Hey everyone.
This is my first post!
Just got done with 325 posts. took me 2 1/2 days : )

I'm really curious about open carry, but i'll keep that for the appropriate forum.

Anyway, to get back OT, thanks for the inspiring stories! there are a lot of real heroes above me!

~Andy
Welcome to GT and CI geofri!!

This is the forum for discussing Open Carry. There is a thread for posting about open carry experiences. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843733

Here is a thread with many topics, but there is a section on Open Carry with threads both pro and con Open Carry.

If you have a specific question, just ask in the open forum.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 21:46   #328
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
A friend wrote:
After VA Tech, I decided to get a CPL but didn't actually DO IT until a couple months ago. Two guys at a gun show told me to get it before they get rid of the CPL laws in WA state I know I'm "probably" never going to need it where I live. 99% white small town area, BUT there are tweekers around these parts who rob homes, etc. I haven't heard of home invasions, but that doesn't mean they haven't happened here. Since I'm on a VERY rural country road on 5 acres, I take home protection very seriously.

WASHINGTON STATE - in RURAL AREAS - and you think you'll never need a weapon!?I know of a home invasion in WA in which three burly men in military fatigues came in strong and shot the homeowner in the back on his front lawn, killing him as he tried to flee. WASHINGTON STATE is thinking of "getting rid" of concealed carry? Good grief!
Washington state is a shall issue state. its also legal to open carry any ware you can with a CPP. we are in no danger of losing our CPPs. At least not as long as you can afford the renewal fee. for a democrat state we are very gun friendly.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 22:53   #329
shotgunred
reloading nut

I grew up in small town rural America in the 70-80. I have been armed since I have been around 10 years old. I had a large piece of woods one block from my house. I had a single shot 22 that I practically wore out shooting things in those woods. In those days I could go into the hardware store give the lady my 23 cents and get my box of 22’s and no one thought anything about it.

In high school my hunting rifle stayed in the gun rack in the back window of my truck from the fist day of deer season until the last day of elk season. Yes there were scores of pickups with guns in the back window parked in the high school parking lot every day. Swat was never called and we never had an incidence.
A lot of days I went straight to hunting from school. Some days even before school was officially over for the day. Maybe there were guns laws on the books back then. its even probably a sure bet. But no one ever followed them if they were there.

Well there are laws now and you can’t display guns in your truck and they have to be hidden from view if you are not in you vehicle. Washington is an open carry state with dead zones. But it just makes life easier if you just keep your guns tucked away. It just seems silly not to have a CPP. With one you can conceal carry with no problem. Without one just sticking a pistol in your pocket to take it from the house to you car is a crime.
I have never needed my concealed pistol but just having it with me has made me feel better now and then.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:45   #330
Radio Dude

Defining Moments - What made YOU decide to CCW?

I’m glad to see so many posting their “defining moment” to get the CCW.

My “defining moment” came just after I got my new Colt .45 back from Gunsite to have it “fixed” with the ATP package installation. At 3am came a loud pounding on my door, bounding out of bed, grabbed the .45 not sure what was happening; I could see an outline of a man standing on my side porch. He continued to bang on my door and yelling “I want to talk to Becky?” “There is no one hear by that name”. I replied. His request went on for two more time and each of my retorts was more explicit.

Frustrated with my responses, he wondered around on the porch for a bit, he then returned to the door and tried to doorknob.

At this juncture, I thought he might try and break in and this situation could have turned disastrous for both of us.

Finding the door locked I called the police and informed them of what was happing. With in two minutes they were there just as he was about to drive off. He was arrested on possessing methamphetamine, drug paraphernalia, stolen chain saw, and four felony warrants. Two issued by the county, the other two by the city. So, one more bad guy off the streets.

I realized I could protect myself at home, however what if I’m out in public. A CCW was the answer, however I live in wacko liberal California where CCW’s are very rare, some say impossible to get; but went through all the steps and have had a permit for over 10 years.
Radio Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 21:44   #331
ExtraTitanian

As a pizza delivery driver, I'm lucky enough to hear about delivery drivers getting robbed/assaulted on an almost weekly basis. I was taking an order across town, and was lucky enough to have some ******* decide to try to merge right into the side of my car. I'm used to this. I drive a small car, happens every day. I accelerate and he misses me. He gets pissed, calls the pizza joint I work at, and tells my manager that he's going to follow me to my destination and put me into the ground... My manager tries to call me, my phone doesn't get reception. He never did follow me, I'm paranoid and notice when that happens. I deliver the order and get back and am lucky enough to see my manager freaking out. That was a fun night.
Then there's the occasional trip to the local marinas. Rich kids getting drunk and getting high on their parents boat with their friends. Turns out, they think you're "dissing" them when you won't GIVE them someone elses order. Large number of angry drunk stoned kids who've never been held accountable for anything in their lives, check. A bag full of delicious pizzas. Check. Lone pizza driver. Check. I don't like where this is going. I just turned 21 on the 12th, bought a 1911 and the classes are next week. I can't wait. Sure, I'll get fired the moment someone important finds out, but I'd rather be unemployed and alive than decomposing in a lake because of a bunch of damn democrats and they're useless laws.
ExtraTitanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:15   #332
ath817

I have one initial moment that got me interested- and one which confirmed my need.

I am a PHD student in [The People's Republic of] Massachusetts.

A- When I came home from vacation to find a window shattered and the rear door to my Boston apartment hanging wide open- and the house pretty much ransacked.

The detective who didn't show up that night, and showed up 4 hours late the next morning informed me that 2 groups of people had guns in Boston- Police and Criminals. And I should call them if I see anything funny.

The 911 call took 35 minutes to get a response.

B- Just this Tuesday, someone robbed a nearby CVS at around 5:30 AM, I woke up to hear- Put your hands on your ****ing head or I will shoot.... This was aimed at the suspect by about 1 police member who could jump our 6' fence.

The rest of them showed up and scattered cars across the street.

I first got my CCW in my home state of Montana before applying for my Mass LTC-A-ALP.

{For non-Mass folks, class A allows semiautomatics or over 10 round, and ALP allows concealed carry- All Lawful Purposes}
ath817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:23   #333
GMAN40
OIF Vet. 04-05

Defining moments: Drug addicts looking for a quick score, home invasions, terrorism,and so on!
GMAN40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:31   #334
Unt

Haven't gotten mine yet. Just bought my first glock a month ago and have been shooting it quite a bit. I think my wife and I are going to take the class next weekend and send off our permits together. She wants a smaller glock (27 or 30SF).
Unt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:21   #335
11BInfantry

My "Defining" moment ... when I was 21 years old and in a small town in southern Minnesota. My buddy, his brother, and I were getting ice cream at the local Dairy Queen. A car load of guys drive by and start yelling they are going to kick our ass and are whipping the car around. We were about 20 miles from our home town and had no idea where the PD was. No cell phone of course.

We drive the 20 miles home during which this car load of guys come flying up and start throwing liquor bottles of the side of our car and windshield. We haul butt for our home town and they chase us 20 miles. We pull up to the front door of the Police Department and they all bail out and jump my buddy punching him in the face twice.

One of them yells to get back in the car and they take off. We run into the PD and tell them what happened and that they are just pulling away. Sergeant says, "It started in the County and isn't in our jurisdiction". Then we are told it will be quite a while for a Deputy to respond because they are busy.

Next thing we know the Sergeant gets a call from his daughter. Turns out these guys just jumped his daughter and her friends. It was amazing that a Deputy was there inside of five minutes after that.

I had an AR-15 in the trunk ... of course it wasn't accessible. I told the Sergeant not to worry about it next time because it would be done a lot faster myself than they cared to do a damn thing!!

Funny thing is ... I get into law enforcement several years later. I see and deal with all the things that go on in our town, especially on night shift. The felons we deal with making threats against our lives and our families. The public may be blind to the things going on around them but we deal with them daily.

I carry CCW every day since I have been a police officer and, unfortunately, I get ridiculed by Commanders on my Department (Captains no less) and told that I am a "trouble maker" and am just looking for trouble carrying off duty.

My response was, "That's ok, if your family is threatened by someone I won't pull my concealed weapon if you don't want me to".

While being a police officer carrying off-duty I have had two incidents where I encountered a disgruntled criminal. One in a Wal-Mart while I was with my four year old daughter who promised to be waiting for me in the parking lot when I got done shopping. Funny thing was when I presented and pulled out my badge he didn't stick around. Second one was one evening while out for a walk. Came walking up to me aggressively saying, "Remember me?". When I presented he decided he had better places to be and in a hurry.

I will never be caught without my concealed carry and when I leave law enforcement I can only hope that I live in a County that actually issues them since we don't have Right to Carry.

Anyone who can carry and doesn't is, in my opinion, not making sound decisions. Also, just a plug, if you haven't read On Combat by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman I highly recommend it.
11BInfantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:14   #336
aconaway1

The wife and I aren't quite there yet, but we'll be CWP holders very soon.

We do a lot of geocaching, and I was out doing a local geocache by myself. I was in the woods less than a half of a mile from the city proper when I came across a day-old carcass of a boar. I then noticed several boar and dog tracks in the mud around it, but the final blow was the tracks of three or four baby boars. Great, a mother. After telling the story to the wife, we decided to get a handgun to carry with us just in case we run across something unfortunate on our adventures. We do go out caching with groups of people, though, and some would probably be uncomfortable if I carried a S&W 500 on my hip, so we decided just to get our CWPs so we can wear our handguns on us, in the pack, or in our hiking vests.

-- Aaron
aconaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:20   #337
RiverVan
FREEDOM

hupp

I believe you are referring to the Lubby's restaurant shooting in Texas. Susanna Gratta-Hupp was the daughter, she ran for office on a pro gun platform and still advocates for RKBA. She is a true hero of those who support the 2nd amendment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desco20 View Post
I WILL carry because when I was 15 a friend and I decided to go hang out at a Little League ballpark at night. What we didn't know was that late at night this ballpark is the hangout for local gang members. As we walked across one of the fields on our way out of the park, we heard some yelling, followed by loud popping noises. When I realized they weren't fireworks (dumb I know) and that they were actually gun shots, my friend and I ran faster than we ever ran before. Luckily for us, my grandmother's house was located near by, and we went in and called the police. Neither of us were hurt, but unfortunately, the perpetrators were never caught. Fast forward to 2008, I watched a program titled "15 Most Violent Acts" where one man went into a cafeteria style restaurant and began shooting for no apparent reason. It detailed a woman who's parents were shot and killed right in front of her. I thought to myself that I will never be caught in that situation unarmed. That's why when I get my Glock I will get my CCW license ASAP.
Old 05-20-2008, 21:10   #338
Grayson

I didn't have a "defining moment" yet...and hope I never DO, actually...

It just made sense to me. Helped that I live in the sticks, and LEOs very, very rarely venture down here much. I figure that at any given time, the nearest one is half an hours drive away, give or take...

It made me kind of "warm and fuzzy" one time when I was defending CCW/the RKBA in a thread here once, and had a poster ask me if I had ever had to use a gun to defend myself. That I was so passionate about it, he said he just assumed that I had before...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
make it SUPER EASY!

Call the Senate on Bloomberg's dime: 855-440-4800
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 19:18   #339
akuser47

I carry my g26 because of all these dang ganster wanna be's with all there fighting dogs all around me and my daughter can't even get out of the car because of rots and pits getting loose all the time so beens they are a deadly weapon I figured I should have one to defend me and my child. Freakin wanna be gansters.
akuser47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 21:08   #340
kunlao21

defining moments...(Great thread)

I've always had protection in my home, car or my restaurant in a most responsible manner. Rather than just our "castles," I decided to upgrade in coverage for all occasions, ever since local PD sent a specific watch to business owners such as myself:

My defining and important but not-so-exciting moment came when a BOLO came from local PD advising something to the effect of "BOLO: so and so subjects staking out, following home then robbing Asian business owners of the daily income. There have been 4 instances in the past couple of months" This initially heightened our awareness, but really struck when there was a subject matching their description parked right behind my restaurant a day after the advisory was left. For nearly 5 hours, he sat in his parked car and didn't budge. His dark sweat pants and long shirt made him especially standout'ish in the 90+ degree Florida heat with windows up and engine off.

After a call to PD reference the BOLO, only my description was copied with no apparent intent of sending a unit to make contact. So I did it myself so he would be well aware that someone knows he's there. I approached the vehicle at 3pm and asked who and at what time he was meeting in my private parking area. He said, "A friend." To which I replied, Since 10am?" He saw that I was thoroughly looking over his person and vehicle as he sat behind the wheel. After what seemed to be a long awkward moment, he studdered a bit, cursed at me then screeched away.

I updated PD with the tag and personal characteristics..ie accent, scars, marks, tattoos, piercings and direction of travel. PD never replied with any update...this worried me and but scared the dumplings out of my wife. You can be your eggrolls that my application was in next business day.

My CCW arrived in the mail TODAY, 7 hours ago.

As a first generation of my family in this country, I'm proud to read some of the responses to this thread boldly stating basically, "Because I can." There are not too many places in the world where liberty could be flexed in this manner!
kunlao21 is offline   Reply With Quote