SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:01   #1
Chad Landry
Cajunator®

Have considered it for some time...

...and I ran across the Masons with Glocks thread in GNG this morning.

I've been interested in Freemasonry (is this the correct term?) for years. I've known several people, in my travels, who have displayed the compass and square. Without exception, they've been exceptional people.

I've located a few local organizations online, and I'm considering emailing the secretary.

Questions:

I've claimed atheism in the past, yet this applies only to religion. I believe in a higher being, but I don't believe that this supreme being has ever been properly defined by any man. You could say that my "God" is the power of the good of humanity, but I believe that something, somewhere, at some time created the universe and all of the spirits within.

I also believe that I can only be a part of this good if I associate with others who are working toward betterment of the human condition.

I've always been a bit of a rebel, I'm not "clean cut", I'm not a criminal, I travel the country frequently and visit other countries a few times each year.

I never know when I'll be called out on my job, which could interfere with making Lodge meetings (or whatever they're called).

I don't want my lack of a schedule to interfere with anyone else.

I'm 42 years old, and I feel the need for some guidance and brotherhood. I need some direction in my life, and from what I've read, I believe that the Masons may be the path for me.

What do you gentlemen think?
Outpost Mod #69
Chad Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 14:19   #2
G19Wino
Junior Warden

You obviously believe in a supreme being and therefore you qualify for petitioning. You do not need to be a religious person. I'm not. As a matter of fact religious discussions will not take place in Lodge, along with politics, as masons focus on values and principles that unite mankind.
Religion and politics can be great dividers in this world...

Your concern about not being fully available to attend all the meetings is a noble one. However one of your duty as a Mason is to support your family and you will be asked not to sacrifice your work for Masonry.
In my Lodge we have two firefighters, one doctor, an Army reservist, several business owners and farmers. We can't always make it to the meetings and everybody understand that.

I suggest that you meet face to face with some masons in your area so they can answer all your questions. In the process, they will also make sure Masonry is the right path for you based on your expectations.

It appears there are five Lodges in your location:
http://www.grandlodgeoftexas.org/l_locate.php

Adresses and dates of meetings are posted for each Lodge and you can contact any member listed on their webpages. They will contact you and meet with you.

Who knows, you might know some of them altready!

Keep us posted

Wino
G19Wino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 16:08   #3
machinisttx

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Wino View Post
You obviously believe in a supreme being and therefore you qualify for petitioning. You do not need to be a religious person. I'm not. As a matter of fact religious discussions will not take place in Lodge, along with politics, as masons focus on values and principles that unite mankind.
Religion and politics can be great dividers in this world...

Your concern about not being fully available to attend all the meetings is a noble one. However one of your duty as a Mason is to support your family and you will be asked not to sacrifice your work for Masonry.
In my Lodge we have two firefighters, one doctor, an Army reservist, several business owners and farmers. We can't always make it to the meetings and everybody understand that.

I suggest that you meet face to face with some masons in your area so they can answer all your questions. In the process, they will also make sure Masonry is the right path for you based on your expectations.

It appears there are five Lodges in your location:
http://www.grandlodgeoftexas.org/l_locate.php

Adresses and dates of meetings are posted for each Lodge and you can contact any member listed on their webpages. They will contact you and meet with you.

Who knows, you might know some of them altready!

Keep us posted

Wino
What he said. So long as you believe in a singular Supreme Being, you're good to go, at least for Blue Lodge along with Chapter and Council. I'm not sure about the Scottish Rite or Shriners, but everything after Blue Lodge is optional anyway. The extent of religious discussion in my Lodge is someone saying "We're having a BBQ/sale/etc. at my church this weekend, everyone is welcome.".

With regard to TX ritual, there are several ways that He is referred to. Supreme Architect of the Universe, God, and a couple others are there in various places.

Several members of my Lodge are currently serving overseas and various other places. We have some members that I've never met, and I was extremely active until recently. I myself haven't made a stated meeting in several months, and it's not a big deal. You will be told that everything else comes before the Fraternity, and it is true.

If you have any more specific questions with regard to TX, there are several of us here from TX, so feel free to ask. Nationwide just did his Entered Apprentice(first) degree, jetboatdriver is a Master Mason(and a member of everything I think ), while I am a Master Mason and a member of the York Rite. There are several others I can't remember offhand.

I must have missed the thread you referred to, any chance you have a link?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. – Thomas Jefferson (1781)
machinisttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 17:02   #4
Chad Landry
Cajunator®

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
I must have missed the thread you referred to, any chance you have a link?
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867102
Outpost Mod #69
Old 05-21-2008, 18:59   #5
RED64CJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlandry
I've claimed atheism in the past, yet this applies only to religion. I believe in a higher being, but I don't believe that this supreme being has ever been properly defined by any man. You could say that my "God" is the power of the good of humanity, but I believe that something, somewhere, at some time created the universe and all of the spirits within.
The beauty of the craft is we don't care what your religious or non-religious background may be. You just probably won't want to join the York Rite...

Basically recognizing the supreme being is the most important, but you might consider your beliefs as to "afterlife" as well. Such as...Do you believe in immortality of the soul? I have Masonic brothers who are Muslim, Jews, etc.

Quote:
I've always been a bit of a rebel, I'm not "clean cut", I'm not a criminal, I travel the country frequently and visit other countries a few times each year.
Yay. You won't be a alone. What's so bad about visiting other countries? Heck, I go to the Middle East and everyone's favorite...France!

Quote:
I never know when I'll be called out on my job, which could interfere with making Lodge meetings (or whatever they're called).

I don't want my lack of a schedule to interfere with anyone else.
I travel extensively for work but yet find value in participation (when I can). No one frowns on my lack of attendance.

Quote:
What do you gentlemen think?
Go for it. I am in Corpus Christi occasionally for work. Let me know what Lodge you end up joining and I'll pay it a visit.
RED64CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 19:45   #6
deputy tom

Cj,don't worry too much about your outward appearance.This will be explained to you once you have gone thru the initial steps.I once sat next to a scruffy looking(to some) individual at a local gunbash and noticed his ring and introduced myself.He was stunned that I was being so nice to him being as he was a "rough looking biker type" in his words.I reminded him about a few pasages that we both heard long ago and he was at ease.I invited him and his group to our Shrine gunbash which was scheduled for a few months later and they did attend.Good people travel in the same circles.Trust me on this.tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceňl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 21:05   #7
bassman-dan
NRA Lifer

Go for it...

I waited until I was over age 50 to join and I truly regret having waited so long. It has been a wonderful journey and has far exceeded my expectations.
I have met an awful lot of great guys and you will find brothers whereever you travel. Almost anywhere in the world you will find lodges that will welcome you as a brother.
I know you travel through Lake Charles from time to time.
You're always welcome to stop in for a visit to the lodge or just to go shooting.

Moss Bluff Lodge #462
AASR Valley of Lake Charles
Chapter No. 47, RAM
bassman-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 21:19   #8
Chad Landry
Cajunator®

See? That's the whole reason I want to apply. I've never met a Freemason I didn't like.

I'm sure that I've met a lot of Freemasons without knowing their affiliation, but the ones who wear the rings, pendants, vehicle emblems, etc. have always been exemplary gentlemen.

I would like to be as fine and upstanding as those I've met.

I want to learn to be selfless, to be a better husband and father, and a generally better member of my community and society in general.

I focus too much on my own desires, and I want to get away from all that. I've tried religions and "fellowships", and none have worked for me, because they never made sense to me.

From what little I know, I believe that your organization can teach me things that I wouldn't be able to learn elsewhere.
Outpost Mod #69
Old 05-21-2008, 21:25   #9
jetboatdriver
CLM Number 47
Charter Lifetime Member

CJ -
Come on up to Cowtown and we will show you around.
You are welcome here anytime. Machinistx is right, I am in Blue, York, Scottish and Shrine. I can and will help you anyway I can.

All of the things you listed as concerns are not really concerns.
Lone Star Glockers #3036 - Big Dawgs # 1903 - SW Solstice Club - Nat'l Assoc Solstice/Sky Owners
Panther City #1183, AF&AM Cooke-Peavy 1162 AF&AM Worth Commandery #19 -Texas Chapter 362-Council 321-Trinity York Rite College-Fort Worth SR - Moslah Shrine;Tranquility Lodge #2000
jetboatdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:28   #10
MarcoPolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlandry View Post
See? That's the whole reason I want to apply. I've never met a Freemason I didn't like.

I'm sure that I've met a lot of Freemasons without knowing their affiliation, but the ones who wear the rings, pendants, vehicle emblems, etc. have always been exemplary gentlemen.

I want to learn to be selfless, to be a better husband and father, and a generally better member of my community and society in general.

I focus too much on my own desires, and I want to get away from all that. I've tried religions and "fellowships", and none have worked for me, because they never made sense to me.

From what little I know, I believe that your organization can teach me things that I wouldn't be able to learn elsewhere.
As a Master Mason who has done many interviews with potential candidates, I can tell you that these are EXACTLY the types of answers that I like to hear.

I am in San Antonio. If there is anything I can do to help you along the way, please do not hesitate to ask.

I think the "religion" angle has been covered very well here. You fit the requirements.

As for the clean cut appearances? Masonry doesn't judge a "book by the cover" so to speak. I sit in lodge with everyone from merchant marines, bikers, retired military officers, doctors, etc. From pinstripe suits to biker gear to overalls.

I can't tell you how proud I am to hear that your experiences with Brothers have been so positive. That's the very reason I became a Mason. There is something very unique and special in an organization that takes men from all walks of life that are dedicated to the very same things. Becoming better men, fathers, husbands.

Keep us posted on your journey!

Help a Shriner Help a Child

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MarcoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:26   #11
machinisttx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo View Post
As a Master Mason who has done many interviews with potential candidates, I can tell you that these are EXACTLY the types of answers that I like to hear.

I am in San Antonio. If there is anything I can do to help you along the way, please do not hesitate to ask.

I think the "religion" angle has been covered very well here. You fit the requirements.

As for the clean cut appearances? Masonry doesn't judge a "book by the cover" so to speak. I sit in lodge with everyone from merchant marines, bikers, retired military officers, doctors, etc. From pinstripe suits to biker gear to overalls.

I can't tell you how proud I am to hear that your experiences with Brothers have been so positive. That's the very reason I became a Mason. There is something very unique and special in an organization that takes men from all walks of life that are dedicated to the very same things. Becoming better men, fathers, husbands.

Keep us posted on your journey!

Yep, it's the internal and not the external that counts...
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. – Thomas Jefferson (1781)
Old 05-22-2008, 12:33   #12
jetboatdriver
CLM Number 47
Charter Lifetime Member

I think I have CJL a Corpus connection. Waiting on a call back. Hang on CJL. :-)
Lone Star Glockers #3036 - Big Dawgs # 1903 - SW Solstice Club - Nat'l Assoc Solstice/Sky Owners
Panther City #1183, AF&AM Cooke-Peavy 1162 AF&AM Worth Commandery #19 -Texas Chapter 362-Council 321-Trinity York Rite College-Fort Worth SR - Moslah Shrine;Tranquility Lodge #2000
Old 05-22-2008, 19:34   #13
machinisttx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboatdriver View Post
I think I have CJL a Corpus connection. Waiting on a call back. Hang on CJL. :-)

Git 'er done
Old 05-22-2008, 19:54   #14
Chad Landry
Cajunator®

I'm just glad y'all ain't sayin', "We don't want yer kind 'round here!"
Outpost Mod #69
Old 05-22-2008, 22:17   #15
jetboatdriver
CLM Number 47
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
OK, "we don't want your kind 'round here"

We want a bunch of your kind round here
Old 05-23-2008, 08:20   #16
jrr6602

We want your kind around here!

What he said!
Old 05-25-2008, 23:02   #17
machinisttx

Quote:
That happens, but it is quite rare and is generally well deserved.

Case in point--- A man petitioned my lodge and lied about a past felony conviction on his petition and in his interviews. IF he had come clean during the interviews, he probably would have been voted upon favorably. Since he lied, he received an unfavorable vote.
Old 05-25-2008, 23:08   #18
Chad Landry
Cajunator®

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
That happens, but it is quite rare and is generally well deserved.

Case in point--- A man petitioned my lodge and lied about a past felony conviction on his petition and in his interviews. IF he had come clean during the interviews, he probably would have been voted upon favorably. Since he lied, he received an unfavorable vote.
I have confidence that I can disclose my past mistakes without fear.
Outpost Mod #69
Old 01-25-2009, 22:45   #19
Harley Rider 1955

Quote:

cjlandry
From what you've posted, you would make a fine candidate. Freemasonry doesn't claim to make a "bad" person "good". Instead, the Craft seeks to make good men even better.

Masonry is not for use of personal gain. It is a way of life that teaches you to help others, live a moral life, and be a respected citizen in your community.

Masonry will aid you in being a better father, husband and citizen. As there is a time commitment, you will need the understanding and cooperation of your wife. Her sacrifice of having you absent, will pay off by having a better husband

Do not be concerned about appearance such tattoos, long hair, etc. It's what's in your heart that matters. Money is not an issue either. There are wealthy Masons and there are regular working men who are Masons.

You have met far more Masons than you know. The only true "secrets" in Masonry is the means by which one Mason might know another.

If you don't have the informaton on Lodges in your area, send me a PM. I'll see what I can do about hooking you up with a lodge near you.
Harley Rider 1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 17:41   #20
grecco

CJ,
+1 to what everyone has posted.
You will meet outstanding people,and have an incredible journey.