SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2009, 22:40   #1
Glockerfella
Whoops

Should I Or Not?

I bought a first gen 17 a few months ago with the intentions of hard chroming the slide and/or polishing the barrel, slide stop, and pins. Buuuut this gun has not been shot very much due to the lack of wear on the top of the barrel like I have on my 19 and 26. It has a few small wear places on the slide but nothing serious. The serial number doesn't have three letters and three numbers, it has two letters and three numbers, AW xxx . I dated it on the sticky provided on one of the forums here and it was made in September 1986. My question is: should I or shouldn't I make any modifications to it? I can't imagine it is anything special, but just my luck if I were to alter it in some way I would discover shortly after that I depreciated some super rare firearm and that it is now worthless.
Glockerfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 23:44   #2
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockerfella View Post
I bought a first gen 17 a few months ago with the intentions of hard chroming the slide and/or polishing the barrel, slide stop, and pins. Buuuut this gun has not been shot very much due to the lack of wear on the top of the barrel like I have on my 19 and 26. It has a few small wear places on the slide but nothing serious. The serial number doesn't have three letters and three numbers, it has two letters and three numbers, AW xxx . I dated it on the sticky provided on one of the forums here and it was made in September 1986. My question is: should I or shouldn't I make any modifications to it? I can't imagine it is anything special, but just my luck if I were to alter it in some way I would discover shortly after that I depreciated some super rare firearm and that it is now worthless.
Well, it really depends on how much wear there is, and whether you have the original box and accessories. If you got everything and it's hard to see the wear, I think you'd be making a mistake.

If the box is missing and/or the wear is pretty bad, I think you're just helping it into the "shooter" category a little farther than it already is. I shoot both of my first-generation G-17s (even though one of them is an early "L"), because they're worn and don't have the original boxes or papers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is offline   Reply With Quote