Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2009, 19:53   #1
Big Al 24

Handy Free Software List For Everyone

Last edited by Big Al 24; 12-27-2011 at 19:51..
Big Al 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 21:47   #2
Furant

I agree with many of those. Here are a few of mine as well:

Security/Encryption
TrueCrypt
hxxp://www.truecrypt.org/

Axcrypt
hxxp://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/

Duplicate File Remover
DoubleKiller
hxxp://www.bigbangenterprises.de/en/doublekiller/

File Recovery
Undelete Plus
hxxp://www.undelete-plus.com/help/

TestDisk
hxxp://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Partition cloner/imaging
Clonezilla
hxxp://clonezilla.org/

Password Database
KeePass
hxxp://keepass.info/

KeePass for Blackberry
hxxp://f5bbutil.sourceforge.net/keepassbb/

Sound Editor
Audacity
hxxp://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Text Editor
Notepad++
hxxp://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
Furant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 22:06   #3
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Here's a couple suggestions, you all can add them where you see fit...

Partition Editor
Parted Magic Live CD - http://partedmagic.com/

Seamonkey Web Browser - http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 23:29   #4
Big Al 24

Thanks guys, you've brought up a couple that I'd forgotten. Notepad++ was one of them.
Old 01-16-2009, 13:42   #5
Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al 24 View Post
...So this thread doesn't hog any bandwidth, I'll replace the T's in "http" with X's so you just have to paste them into your browser and change them...
Care to explain how that hogs bandwidth?
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 18:33   #6
Big Al 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
I've seen other places request that people do that for the purpose of saving bandwidth. I was just trying to be courteous more than anything. But since this seems to be some kind of trick question to elicit an "aha" moment, why don't you go ahead and explain why I'm wrong about that? Here I just thought I was making a helpful list for people with the side benefit of gaining new programs for myself, but apparently I'm being quizzed or something.

Last edited by Big Al 24; 01-17-2009 at 18:54..
Old 01-17-2009, 21:39   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
I've seen other places request that people do that for the purpose of saving bandwidth. I was just trying to be courteous more than anything. But since this seems to be some kind of trick question to elicit an "aha" moment, why don't you go ahead and explain why I'm wrong about that? Here I just thought I was making a helpful list for people with the side benefit of gaining new programs for myself, but apparently I'm being quizzed or something.
Some people just like to be an ass, I wouldn't worry about it. The list will be a useful resource for those who don't know any better, which is the point of the thread.

IGF
Old 01-18-2009, 02:26   #8
Unix'N'Guns
NRA Life Member

No good deed will go unpunished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
He (OP) is introducing people to FOSS* & freeware alternatives. Can't see giving him a hard time for that.

I notice that there is no section for alternatives to Windows :-).

* It appears most items on the list are FOSS [Free & Open Source Software]. I am not claiming to have read or inspected any/all of the software licensing governing any/all of the software or software projects on the list. There. Hopfully that will deter a lot of stupid ******* replies.

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.
-Mike Ditka.

Last edited by Unix'N'Guns; 01-18-2009 at 03:00.. Reason: Spelling
Unix'N'Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:43   #9
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

You know the one I found the most interesting, was that password database. I'm gonna try to install it in Wine and see how it goes. However, I've done pretty much the same thing for a while, with Open Office. I made a OO Spreadsheet, with all my accounts, passwords, network log in info, etc. I then password protected the Spreadsheet file. I ever lose that password, and I'm mega hosed, although its a pretty personal one, that nobody else currently on earth would know.

Also, because I see this come up on occasion in other forums, is how to document your guns, in case of theft, loss, etc. I made another sheet on that file, took a pic of a gun, and beside it, recorded identifying info of the gun (make, model#, caliber, SN#). The pics aren't that great, because I took them w/ a piece of crap camera I had a couple years ago, I was thinking the other day I should go through and update the pics w/ my new camera. Anyways, I've saw posts come up on some sort of "firearms database" software in the past, and thought some might like the idea.... I've currently got it set up where I can get about 4 guns per page. That was the hardest part, getting the pics to set properly in the spreadsheet, so they would stay on one page, in the event it ever needed printed out. (I'm guessing a pic of a gun that spread across 2 pages would be reasonably useless.. )

Here's kinda what it looks like (SN's removed).. and yes, there's a lot more guns in the file, Its just I could only fit 4 into the screenshot..

Tech Talk

IGF
Old 01-18-2009, 10:07   #10
Furant

IGF,

I use the KeePass password database because they have a version that runs on my BlackBerry and it allows me to keep them in synch. I used to use PasswordSafe by Bruce Schneier, a security expert, it also has a Java version, but I had trouble trying to run it on my BB. It probably would work fine in Linux.

I like your idea on you firearm inventory. Too bad my inventory is so small it really doesn't take too much to keep track of it.

Joey
Furant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:42   #11
Big Al 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unix'N'Guns View Post
He (OP) is introducing people to FOSS* & freeware alternatives. Can't see giving him a hard time for that.

I notice that there is no section for alternatives to Windows :-).

* It appears most items on the list are FOSS [Free & Open Source Software]. I am not claiming to have read or inspected any/all of the software licensing governing any/all of the software or software projects on the list. There. Hopfully that will deter a lot of stupid ******* replies.
I kinda figured that if you were the type to hunt down your own 'nix and install it yourself, you probably would end up contributing to the list rather than using it. You do have a point though, I could add Ubuntu, and PCLinuxOS to the list.
Old 01-18-2009, 14:50   #12
Unix'N'Guns
NRA Life Member

Quote:
I kinda figured that if you were the type to hunt down your own 'nix and install it yourself, you probably would end up contributing to the list rather than using it. You do have a point though, I could add Ubuntu, and PCLinuxOS to the list.
I was tongue-in-cheek joking. That list would go on forever. You would be better served just putting a link to distrowatch under that section.

The list is a nice concept. Thanks for posting it.

-Mike Ditka.
Old 01-18-2009, 18:40   #13
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unix'N'Guns View Post
<RMS PARAPHRASE>
We are talking about "free" as in Freedom, not "free" as in beer.
</RMS PARAPHRASE>
Actualy, Al stated his intent w/ the list in the first paragraph of his first post. I'm personally not really hung up on the the whole *free* (as in speech), thing.....

Second, nothing on Al's list, to my knowledge, do you have to pursue illegal means to continue using it.. I know some don't really consider stealing software, theft.. but it is, especially when you're downloading key generators so that you can use it.

IGF
Old 01-18-2009, 18:41   #14
DoubleWide

Anti-Virus
ClamWin http://www.clamwin.com/
ClamWin Portable http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable

I don't use the main program but the portable is nice if you need to scan someone's computer from a CD.

Portableapps.com is nice for USB key/CD stuff.
DoubleWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 18:59   #15
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWide View Post
Anti-Virus
ClamWin http://www.clamwin.com/
ClamWin Portable http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable

I don't use the main program but the portable is nice if you need to scan someone's computer from a CD.

Portableapps.com is nice for USB key/CD stuff.
Completely forgot Clam had a Windows version. I'm not familiar w/ the Windows version, but the Linux version is solid.. Most Linux users use it to scan files that will be shared w/ WIndows users, so they don't accidentally spread a virus, that had no effect on their PC.

Good catch.

IGF
Old 01-18-2009, 19:09   #16
Unix'N'Guns
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Actualy, Al stated his intent w/ the list in the first paragraph of his first post. I'm personally not really hung up on the the whole *free* (as in speech), thing.....
IGF
I am aware. I was reiterating (for cali) that the list is of FOSS (free as in Freedom) & Freeware (free as is "no charge") software. I guess I didn't elaborate enough.

I am not hung up on the "free as in speech" thing, either. But I do think it is important and support it when ever it is a viable alternative to closed source and/or freeware.

-Mike Ditka.
Old 01-18-2009, 19:21   #17
Big Al 24

Thanks everyone! I'll keep updating as new stuff is dredged up from our memories. I also added a link to distrowatch.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:34   #18
Toyman

Quote:
Links to a site don't consume any more bandwidth than text, other than a little overhead to make them linkable.

Images linked from another website however would consume bandwidth for the other site though.

I just thought maybe *I* was missing something.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:33   #19
Bronson7

Thanks, Al! I'll be looking at some of those myself. Appreciate it.
Bronson7
Bronson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 13:10   #20
glocknia

I've used Malwarebytes on a number of friend's machines to clean off spyware/malware. Great program! www.malwarebytes.org
glocknia is offline   Reply With Quote