GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 16:46   #1
Quack
Rent this space
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,684
a "which 1911 should i buy" thread

seeing that this is a common type of thread, why not make a condensed thread with different (NIB) price points.

here's a few off the top of my head...


Less than $750:
Rock Island Armory (RIA)
STI Spartan
Springfield Armory (SA) Mil-spec, G.I.
Remington 1911-R1
Citadel
America Classic
Desert Eagle



$750 - $1000:
SA Loaded
SA Champion Operator
STI Trojan
STI Ranger II
STI Guardian
Kimber Custom II
S&W





$1000 - $1500:
SA TRP
SA Trophy Match
SA EMP
SA MC Operator
Dan Wesson Valor
Dan Wesson Guardian
STI Duty One
STI Sentry
STI Rangemaster

$1500 - $2000
STI Edge
STI Premier
Springfield Custom Shop Custom Carry
Les Baer



over $2000
Ed Brown
Wilson Combat
Springfield Custom Shop
Rock River Arms

Last edited by Quack; 09-19-2010 at 19:50..
Quack is offline  
Old 01-20-2009, 18:36   #2
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,508
I was going to post a bunch of stuff and do a thread like this complete with pics and descriptions.

I've been saying that for a month or two. I started some drafts, but having continued.

I'll do it once I have my next two 1911s that I have on order. It should be this spring.

I the meantime, I can add a few to your list.
bac1023 is online now  
Old 01-20-2009, 18:44   #3
GlocksterPaulie
Perfectionist
 
GlocksterPaulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Damned if I know
Posts: 4,514
After bac gets the Two 1911's he is waiting for there will be more, don't let him fool you.

Paulie
GlocksterPaulie is offline  
Old 01-20-2009, 18:45   #4
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
seeing that this is a common type of thread, why not make a condensed thread with different (NIB) price points.

here's a few off the top of my head...


Less than $750:
Rock Island Armory (RIA)
STI Spartan
Springfield Armory (SA) Mil-spec, G.I.
Firestorm DLX
Charles Daly EFS
Thompson Custom 1911


$750 - $1000:
(SA) Loaded
STI Trojan
Dan Wesson (DW) CBOB, PM7
Kimber Custom II
S&W SW1911
Colt Gold Cup Trophy




$1000 - $1500:
SA TRP
SA EMP
Dan Wesson Valor
Colt Special Combat Government



$1500 - $2000
Baer Concept series
Baer TRS
Kimber Super Match
STI Legacy
S&W PC1911



over $2000

A bunch of stuff, but you need more catagories. There's a big difference between a $2K semi custom and a $4K+ Custom
Here's a few added.
bac1023 is online now  
Old 01-20-2009, 18:47   #5
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocksterPaulie View Post
After bac gets the Two 1911's he is waiting for there will be more, don't let him fool you.

Paulie


Of course, but not this year. I want a custom from Gemini, but I won't be ordering it for a while and even then, its a year wait to get it.

Actually, I will be buying a Norinco later this year, I suppose.

The two on order are an SV Infinity and a Liebenberg Signature from Pistol Dynamics.
bac1023 is online now  
Old 01-20-2009, 18:58   #6
G21FAN
Useless loser
 
G21FAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Pell City, Alabama
Posts: 2,348
Send a message via ICQ to G21FAN
Colt Series '70 reissue

Colt 1991A1 NRM. Both are excellent for as is or a base for customization.
__________________
NREMT-P, AL state EMT-P, ACLS, BTLS, PALS, PHTLS 1991-2006

In the South, we didn't turn our swords into plowshares. We turned our church bells into guns.
(The Elderly Kid)
G21FAN is offline  
Old 01-20-2009, 19:23   #7
GlocksterPaulie
Perfectionist
 
GlocksterPaulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Damned if I know
Posts: 4,514
I hear the Gemini is really really sweet.

Paulie
GlocksterPaulie is offline  
Old 01-20-2009, 19:27   #8
leroyjq
Senior Member
 
leroyjq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Posts: 209
STI
Trojan
__________________
Lee
leroyjq is offline  
Old 01-20-2009, 20:02   #9
srothman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocksterPaulie View Post
I hear the Gemini is really really sweet.

Paulie
So do I.

Since Bac keeps posting all of his pics, and causing people to spend their money, I thought it was only fair.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Bac, you really need one of these.........

I also think that the list would be in-complete without Wilson Combat on it? I would also consider putting Rock River on it, but not sure since they don't currently make 1911's?
srothman is offline  
Old 01-20-2009, 20:41   #10
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by srothman View Post
1911 Forums

Bac, you really need one of these.........

I also think that the list would be in-complete without Wilson Combat on it? I would also consider putting Rock River on it, but not sure since they don't currently make 1911's?
srothman, I'm definitely ordering a Gemini as soon as possible. Mine won't be quite as flashy as yours, but will be artistic either way.

Yeah, RRA 1911s are awesome, but they did stop building them, at least for the time being. What a damn shame.

1911 Forums
bac1023 is online now  
Old 01-20-2009, 20:56   #11
srothman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
srothman, I'm definitely ordering a Gemini as soon as possible. Mine won't be quite as flashy as yours, but will be artistic either way.

Yeah, RRA 1911s are awesome, but they did stop building them, at least for the time being. What a damn shame.

1911 Forums
I will have to take some new pics, with the new grips.

It tones it down quite a bit, it removes some of the "bling" it has with them.

Hopefully when the current status of building AR's dies down, or levels off, Rock River will start making 1911's again.
srothman is offline  
Old 01-20-2009, 21:03   #12
GlocksterPaulie
Perfectionist
 
GlocksterPaulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Damned if I know
Posts: 4,514
Srothman,

Love the eye for detail and artistic approach on that 1911. Thanks for sharing.

Paulie
GlocksterPaulie is offline  
Old 01-20-2009, 21:15   #13
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by srothman View Post
I will have to take some new pics, with the new grips.

It tones it down quite a bit, it removes some of the "bling" it has with them.

Hopefully when the current status of building AR's dies down, or levels off, Rock River will start making 1911's again.
I'd like to see the Gemini with the new grips.

As far as RRA is concerned, I sure hope so. They build some of the best in the business.
bac1023 is online now  
Old 01-23-2009, 15:10   #14
5 screw smith
NRA Life Member
 
5 screw smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: S. Texas
Posts: 110
Quote:
Quack;12114367]seeing that this is a common type of thread, why not make a condensed thread with different (NIB) price points. here's a few off the top of my head...
Less than $750:

$750 - $1000:
Dan Wesson (DW) CBOB
Kimber Royal

$1000 - $1500:
Dan Wesson Valor
Kimber Gold Combat II (Previous, not current production)
Kimber Aegis (New model with Commander hammer)
Kimber Tactical HD (New model)
Wilson Combat KZ45

$1500 - $2000 (Much closer to 2 grand)
Wilson Combat CQB (Base model)
Ed Brown Special Forces

over $2000
Ed Brown Special Forces Bobtail
Ed Brown Kobra Bobtail
Springfield Professional
The rest of the Wilson Combat models

Note: NIB prices are usually lower than MSRP
__________________
NRA Life Member

Μολὼν λαβέ
5 screw smith is offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 10:16   #15
RUSH2112
Big Member
 
RUSH2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 867
As you can see in smith's post there are a ton of kimbers in each price range because they make so many darned variations on basically the same base. This is a good thing, I'm just saying the buyer needs to be aware that in such a list he may not see all the kimbers he may want to to consider.

And kimbers are so similar in performance and quality, if you're going to list one, there no reason to exclude any other, because there aren't good kimbers vs bad ones, as far as "which one is the best deal", there are simply different options and configurations.

Last edited by RUSH2112; 01-25-2009 at 10:20..
RUSH2112 is offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 10:32   #16
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSH2112 View Post
And kimbers are so similar in performance and quality, if you're going to list one, there no reason to exclude any other, because there aren't good kimbers vs bad ones, as far as "which one is the best deal", there are simply different options and configurations.
Umm, I don't agree.

There is a huge difference in the top of the line Kimber and the entry level Kimber. I've got both.

One is three times the price of the other, and its more than just cosmetics.
bac1023 is online now  
Old 01-25-2009, 11:11   #17
liliysdad
NRA Life Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,576
I disagree, Bac. They are all Custom IIs, with varying levels of pretty. When you open one of them up, they all share the same guts. Perhaps, at tone time, this was not the case, but can assure you it is now.

Their "Custom Shop" guns are a farce.
liliysdad is offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 11:35   #18
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliysdad View Post
I disagree, Bac. They are all Custom IIs, with varying levels of pretty. When you open one of them up, they all share the same guts. Perhaps, at tone time, this was not the case, but can assure you it is now.

Their "Custom Shop" guns are a farce.
I realize Kimber doesn't have a Custom shop, so to speak.

However, I see a very noticable difference in the fitting, finish, smoothness, trigger, and just overall quality, between the Super Match and the Custom II.

In fact, the SM comes with an accuracy guarentee and its a very accurate 1911, will the Custom II is average.

I realize I'm using the two extremes here, but the Super Match is a fine 1911. I thinks its the best full production 1911 on the market.
bac1023 is online now  
Old 01-25-2009, 12:06   #19
RUSH2112
Big Member
 
RUSH2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 867
Bac please read my post more carefully. I didn't say they are all exactly equal, I said similar in performance and quality, and I'm refering to all the models that fall within each of the above established price ranges, not the base model compared to the top of the line. I probably should have specified that.

I don't see the same upgrades in guts and performance-related options like you see, for example, between the SA GI and just one step higher in the Mil-Spec. With the SA you are actually deciding on performance related factors between the two guns in the same range +/- $50, where as with Kimber you just need to decide which cosmetic options you want, and things like ambi safety, more checkering, night sights, type finish. The one with more options is not a "better" gun, nor is either one a better "bargain" than the other.

Basically what I'm saying is regarding Kimber you can't just look at the above list and see "custom II" in the $750-1000 range, there are many variations a buyer needs to consider, and this choice is not about performance or quality.

Last edited by RUSH2112; 01-25-2009 at 12:18..
RUSH2112 is offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 12:09   #20
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSH2112 View Post
Bac please read my post more carefully. I didn't say they are all exactly equal, I said similar in performance and quality, and I'm refering to all the models that fall within each of the above established price ranges, not the base model compared to the top of the line. I probably should have specified that.
That's cool. Like I said, I was giving the extremes. I do agree that the vast majority of Kimber models are essentially the same level of quality.
bac1023 is online now  

 
  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:42.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,210
359 Members
851 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31