Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:49   #1
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Bear Down AZ - Texas T is coming home!

Yep, it's true. After 18+ years in Texas I'm moving back home to AZ. I'll be flying out on the 30th to go house hunting (Queen Creek) and then back to TX to pack and move.

I absolutely love Texas and hate to leave the state, but I loath Houston and will be more than happy to see it in my rear view mirror.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:29   #2
Zonny

Why Queen Creek? Hope you have employment in the East Valley cuz that drive is a bear!

Many houses in foreclosure in that area. Should be able to get a good deal. Take your time. Let me know if you need a Realtor. (Not me)

Congrats on your relocation.

~Charles M. Shulz~
Zonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 20:26   #3
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
Why Queen Creek? Hope you have employment in the East Valley cuz that drive is a bear!
My office is in Chandler but I will have 8 other locations in the East Valley so everything will be a drive.

Quote:
Many houses in foreclosure in that area. Should be able to get a good deal.
That's why it's going to be Queen Creek. I'll sell my place in Houston, buy a cheap home in Queen Creek, hopefully pay it off within 10 years and be completely debt free at that point.

Quote:
Take your time. Let me know if you need a Realtor. (Not me)
Thanks but the company provides that.

Quote:
Congrats on your relocation.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to sweltering in the heat this summer until I get acclimated. At least I won't have to worry about 85% humidity with the heat.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Old 03-12-2009, 21:51   #4
MR. Fantastic

Don't mess with arizona!
MR. Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:19   #5
CU4X4N
5th of November

Get your CCW pronto!
Old 03-13-2009, 18:16   #6
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

That will have to wait until I move. I won't have time to do it when I'm house hunting (what caliber do I use for that?) at the end of the month. It's too bad states don't handle it like driver licenses... walk in, show them the license from another state and walk out with a new one.

Old 03-14-2009, 16:30   #7
lordjim_2001

Send a message via Yahoo to lordjim_2001
Have you looked at Maricopa. Lots of good deals around here right now for some nice plaves.
Wheelhouse #1868
Milsurp #1868
Rimfire Club #1868
lordjim_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 18:30   #8
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

I have, but it's just a little bit too far out for me. My stores run from Queen Creek NW to above Sky Harbor and then SW to Laveen. I'll be in the Chandler office probably 2-3 days per week so being close to that works better for me.

I-10 and Elliot Rd is pretty much smack dab in the middle of my market but prices jump up quite a bit compared to Queen Creek / Maricopa.

No matter how you slice it, I'll be fighting traffic somewhere at some time. It's still going to be better than fighting the traffic in Houston. My 51 mile (of which 42 is freeway/toll road) commute going home is typically 1.25 - 1.75 hours.

Old 03-16-2009, 23:52   #9
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Gas or electric heat? I noticed a good percentage of the homes have electric heat. I've always been a fan of gas heat. For any of you with electric heat, what's your bill run you in the winter months? How does that compare to the summer months?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:05   #10
CU4X4N
5th of November

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
For any of you with electric heat, what's your bill run you in the winter months? How does that compare to the summer months?
Haha, you're concerned about the heating bill in the winter?

That's funny.

You should be way more concerned about your air-conditioning bill in the summer months!
Old 03-17-2009, 14:22   #11
Zonny

My house is small. Approx. 1600 sq ft. Total electric. My summer bills are approx. 2.5 times that of winter.

~Charles M. Shulz~
Old 03-17-2009, 14:32   #12
Matthew26

Yes, Houston traffic does suck.
AZ is a great place. As soon as they get legislation passed to allow for restaurant carry, it'll be better.
Matthew26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 15:54   #13
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
My house is small. Approx. 1600 sq ft. Total electric. My summer bills are approx. 2.5 times that of winter.
Which are how much?

Old 03-17-2009, 15:55   #14
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew26 View Post
Yes, Houston traffic does suck.
AZ is a great place. As soon as they get legislation passed to allow for restaurant carry, it'll be better.
Has that been introduced? I have to agree that's a pretty silly rule. Does that apply to concealed only or concealed and open?

Old 03-17-2009, 16:26   #15
Zonny

Quote:
Which are how much?
Winter $80.00-$100.0

Summer $180.00 - $240.00

~Charles M. Shulz~
Old 03-17-2009, 16:51   #16
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Thanks

Old 03-18-2009, 02:35   #17
CU4X4N
5th of November

Quote:
Has that been introduced? I have to agree that's a pretty silly rule. Does that apply to concealed only or concealed and open?
Both. Cannot carry in establishments that serve alcohol for consumption on premises.
Old 03-19-2009, 13:43   #18
PHXGlock

Hey Texas T, congats on moving to AZ. I always considered it Super Texas. You might want to check out an Area just west of the I10 called Ahwatukee Foothills. I lived there for awhile. It is next to Chandler to the West. Certainly more expensive than Queen Creek but better Quality of life. You have South Mountain North of you and the Pima River Indian Reservation to the South. It's nice and a little hilly with well maintained homes bike paths and plenty of recreation. I might move back down there again if I get the chance.
The Nearest Gun Club there is called Caswells in Mesa AZ. www.caswells.com to provide you the best prices on Glock pistols in town (I bought a new one last week there). They are an indoor shooting range which you will need here in the 115f 4 month summers.

If your hung up on having a Super Big house on flat ground Queen Creek wont diapoint however you should give Ahwatukke a look have a cup of coffee and check a few places out. I've been to Houston once (before Katrina) and liked it. Houses are super cheap there but kinda high property taxes. The east valley of Phoenix Ahwatukee, Chandler, Tempe Mesa, and Gilbert are all good parts of town. The west side Buckeye, Suprise, Peoria, Avondale, and Centeral Phoenix west of the I17 are all ****. High Crime and run Down.
PHXGlock.
PHXGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 18:54   #19
Zonny

Something that might be of interest to you.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/Brahm1700/48449

~Charles M. Shulz~
Old 03-21-2009, 06:21   #20
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXGlock View Post
Hey Texas T, congats on moving BACK to AZ.
Thanks. (fixed it for ya)

Quote:
You might want to check out an Area just west of the I10 called Ahwatukee Foothills.
I'll take a look. I think we've decided to rent an apt for six months in order to really give us time to see where we want to wind up. I'm not convinced that the housing market has bottomed out yet in the Phx area. I think it might have another 5-10% drop ahead. If I miss the bottom and catch it on the way back up it won't be the end of the world.

Quote:
If your hung up on having a Super Big house on flat ground Queen Creek wont diapoint
We're looking at nothing more than 2500 sq ft. I'll consider going larger if it's a really good deal but I'll have to balance that against the increase in energy costs.

Quote:
I've been to Houston once (before Katrina) and liked it.
I hate it. I live north of Houston and really like my area but my area of responsibility is all down in Houston do I have to deal with that and those that reside there every day.

Quote:
Houses are super cheap there but kinda high property taxes.
No state income tax.

Quote:
The east valley of Phoenix Ahwatukee, Chandler, Tempe Mesa, and Gilbert are all good parts of town. The west side Buckeye, Suprise, Peoria, Avondale, and Centeral Phoenix west of the I17 are all ****. High Crime and run Down.
Yeah, I looked at the CAP index for my Phx locations compared to my Houston locations and most of them were lower with Gilbert being much lower. I had a couple in the Phx area that were as high as one of my worst stores in Houston so overall it won't be too bad. I'm pretty sure that I won't be dealing with too many Katrina "refugees" when I get to Phx.