Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:48   #1
DLL9mm

Any Ammo I shouldn't shoot through my G29

I have a stock Glock 29. Stock barrel and springs. Is there any ammo I shouldn't shoot through it besides reloads. I don't plan on using reloads since I don't reload.
??
DLL9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:21   #2
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Whatever your wrist can take.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:56   #3
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Depleted Uranium rounds.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:36   #4
Merlin390
I'm around here

Reloads are fine just stay away from lead
Old 05-23-2009, 11:04   #5
DLL9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzer View Post
Depleted Uranium rounds.
Damn I just ordered 2 boxes of those. I guess I will just have to sell them on Gunbroker.
Old 05-23-2009, 13:01   #6
Snapper2

Correct me if I'm wrong. Hot factory or handloaded ammo should be fine in an all stock G20 or G29.But I'd tend to worry if I used hot loads in a Glock barrel where I tried to tame the recoil by installing a stronger recoil spring. A tighter bore plus a looser chamber plus a hot charge being held in lockup longer by the stronger recoil spring equals out to more pressure than the gun was designed for. IMO. The factory spring will act as a relief valve for pressure build up. You set that spring tension higher to reduce the slide velocity and to keep the slide from wearing out the frame. Now your putting more pressure on the chamber, and one thats built looser for feed reliability. What happens to the brass?
Snapper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 14:02   #7
DLL9mm

There really isn't much recoil when shooting my G29. I have used Silvertips, PMC 200gr.fmjs, Hornady xtp, and DoubleTap 165 and 180gr.Gold dots. I just ordered a box of the DT. 135gr. Nosler HP. So far with all the ammo tested, I would say my G36 that I sold had more recoil Than the Glock 29. The recoil from my G29 is just right, and I can shoot it one handed without an problems.
Old 05-23-2009, 15:33   #8
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Yep! Don't shoot 41 or 44 magnums they don't fit!

Seriously these G-29 things just work, I shoot my G-29 with the Wolff Guide rod and 21lb spring using Factory loads, Handloads with both jacketed and cast bullets without any problems as of this time. I do use common sense handloading practices!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 21:17   #9
Twoball

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
Yep! Don't shoot 41 or 44 magnums they don't fit!

Seriously these G-29 things just work, I shoot my G-29 with the Wolff Guide rod and 21lb spring using Factory loads, Handloads with both jacketed and cast bullets without any problems as of this time. I do use common sense handloading practices!
Where do you buy your reloading supplies in southeast Louisiana ?
Twoball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 21:33   #10
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Many of the people I useto buy from are gone or quit handling reloading supplies.

I buy powder & Primers fro Mark Waggenspack at the local gunshows he has a web site http://www.e-reloading.com/

I have been getting things from MidwayUSA and some other websites as needed also.

Bass Pro in Baton Rouge and Cabela's in Gonzales have some things but I don't get over there often.

How about you?
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:49   #11
why

No lead unless they are hardened and no Cu plated bullets. They can/do shrapnel to some degree.
why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 22:28   #12
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
No lead unless they are hardened and no Cu plated bullets. They can/do shrapnel to some degree.

The original poster indicated that he wasn't interested in reloads, but I thought I'd give a quick reply to this post. I've loaded and shot about 1000 rounds of copper plated bullets with good results. A 180 grain Berry's FP at < 1200 fps works well with no signs of "shrapnel" etc. Also, make sure to crimp just enough to remove the bell. There certainly haven't been leading or copper fouling at all through my stock Glock barrel. Thought I'd throw that out there because, by using plated bullets, I have found load that works cleanly in my stock barrel and costs about 16 cents per round to reload. It has been great for "volume" work. Push them too hard or add too much crimp and the plated bullets do become unraveled.

Soft lead through a stock Glock barrel should be avoided. I've had good results (although not extensive experience) shooting hard-cast gas checked bullets in my stock barrel. Only slight leading that cleans up easily.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 17:46   #13
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL9mm View Post
I have a stock Glock 29. Stock barrel and springs. Is there any ammo I shouldn't shoot through it besides reloads. I don't plan on using reloads since I don't reload.
??
You definitely should avoid shooting Brokeback Mountain 10mm loads through it - i.e., a 40-level "10mm" load masquarading as a real 10mm. If that's really all the power you want, sell the G29 and get a Glock "Fortie." Otherwise, you're wasting good $$$ on downloaded performance from a larger pistol using a more expensive case.

That said, if you want to shoot something besides 10mm ammo out of the G29, you can do that by picking up a dedicated, aftermarket barrel in .40S&W, .357Sig or, IIRC, someone made a barrel chambered in 9x25Dillon for it too. You can still use the stock factory G29 mags for these cartridges as well as the stock G29 recoil assembly.

The 10 Ring

Enjoy.

Last edited by agtman; 05-29-2009 at 06:07..
agtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 18:12   #14
DLL9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
You definitely should avoid shooting Brokeback Mountain 10mm loads through it - i.e., a 40-level "10mm" load masquarading as a real 10mm. If that's really all the power you want, sell the G29 and get a Glock "Fortie." Otherwise, you're wasting good $$$ on downloaded performance from a larger pistol using more expensive case.

That said, if you want to shoot something besides 10mm ammo out of the G29, you can do that by picking up a dedicated, aftermarket barrel in .40S&W, .357Sig or, IIRC, someone made a barrel chambered in 9x25Dillon for it too. You can still use the stock factory G29 mags for these cartridges as well as the stock G29 recoil assembly.

The 10 Ring

Enjoy.
Nice pic. Did you do the finish/polishing yourself? It looks great.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:12   #15
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL9mm View Post
Nice pic. Did you do the finish/polishing yourself? It looks great.
Thanks.

Not my work. About 6-years ago I sent the slide & barrel off to Robar for refinishing with their NP3 treatment. They NP3-ed the slide, slide internals and the barrel. The work was great and the finish held up. Interestingly, the NP3 shows up in pics as either a bit lighter or darker depending on the lighting.

agtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:40   #16
Myself

I would avoid .17Hr2 and .700 nitro mag. There may be a few other rounds in between that also do not fit. Generally 10mm ammo will work the best.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:44   #17
marshallblaine02

buckshot!
marshallblaine02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 19:07   #18
Retired Squid

I have put a lot of lead through polygonal barrels in my life, mostly 22 rifles. Some of the best 22's in the world have had polygonal rifling for decades, and have never had a problem. With 22LR or 10MM the polygonal barrel is not a problem with lead and seems to actually do better with lead then standard rifling. I do use a rather hard cast lead bullet in 10 mm, but just because it has been the best for what I want it to do, penetrating.

The owners manual does not say anything about using lead bullets, all it says is no reloads. That is lawyer speak to reduce law suits from idiots who over load their guns.

My new G29 SL feeds and shoots the LSWC/HP bullet with amazing accuracy and never a FF from the gun, same with my old fat G29 when using LSWC/HP bullets.

Sorry about the previous posting, I was trying to write and hold a 15 month old grandson who likes to push the buttons.

Last edited by Retired Squid; 06-06-2009 at 05:44..
Retired Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 17:47   #19
4570Lever

If you dont reload, I 'm not sure what you shouldnt be shooting except lead, but what you should be shooting, the most accurate factory load I've experienced in my 29 is Winchester 180 Silvertips.
4570Lever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 18:04   #20
Retired Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4570Lever View Post
If you dont reload, I 'm not sure what you shouldnt be shooting except lead, but what you should be shooting, the most accurate factory load I've experienced in my 29 is Winchester 180 Silvertips.
Say what??? That needs to be translated for me.

But lead is no big deal in polygonal barrel of Glock, and actually work better in polygonal barrel over a standard rifling. One has to remember however that when shooting lead you have to keep under 1100 FPS and that is fine for target, but not anything else much.