Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 18:51   #21
DLL9mm
Senior Member
 
DLL9mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 2,672
So Far I have fired the following ammo through my G29...
Winchester Silvertips
Hornady 180gr. XTP
Winchester Black Talon
PMC 200gr. FMJ
Double Tap 135 gr. Nosler
Double Tap 200gr. FMJ
Double Tap 165gr. Gold dots
Double Tap 180 gr. Gold dots

I am awaiting ammo orders from Georgia Arms and Reeds. I think I may actually might go with the SilverTips for carry, since I can shoot them pretty accurately. The most accurate were probably the Black Talons, that is probably because they are "Weak" compared to the rest. The DT 135gr. Noslers, are probably the most Fun to shoot, because of the loud crack. I haven't had the G29 for a month, and I have 300+ rounds through it. It is my carry gun, so I had to really "Test-it".
__________________
*G32 Gen 4*
*HK P2000sk*
*etc*etc*etc*
DLL9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 21:35   #22
Retired Squid
Senior Member
 
Retired Squid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SwampeastMO
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL9mm View Post
So Far I have fired the following ammo through my G29...
Winchester Silvertips
Hornady 180gr. XTP
Winchester Black Talon
PMC 200gr. FMJ
Double Tap 135 gr. Nosler
Double Tap 200gr. FMJ
Double Tap 165gr. Gold dots
Double Tap 180 gr. Gold dots

I am awaiting ammo orders from Georgia Arms and Reeds. I think I may actually might go with the SilverTips for carry, since I can shoot them pretty accurately. The most accurate were probably the Black Talons, that is probably because they are "Weak" compared to the rest. The DT 135gr. Noslers, are probably the most Fun to shoot, because of the loud crack. I haven't had the G29 for a month, and I have 300+ rounds through it. It is my carry gun, so I had to really "Test-it".
My most accurate loads I loaded for my 29 were;
A. PD was the 135 gr Nosler tripping about 1650 fps.
B. for paper punching was LSWC/HP Hornady 170 gr 1050 fps range.

You should see my 200gr Hornady JHP loads from my 610-3 6.5", makes for a real stopper and are carried in the 610 5" when packing it now.
__________________
Rimfire for plinking, 357 Magum for paper, 10mm for when 45ACP isn't enough and 44 Magnum for everything else.

Last edited by Retired Squid; 06-08-2009 at 21:43..
Retired Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:59   #23
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman
 
_The_Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast, LoUiSiAna
Posts: 4,274
DLL9mm wrote,
Quote:
because of the loud crack.
Hearing Protection!
__________________
Southeast, LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Member
BASS Life Member
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:56   #24
DLL9mm
Senior Member
 
DLL9mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
DLL9mm wrote,

Hearing Protection!
I had ear protection and my ears were still ringing
__________________
*G32 Gen 4*
*HK P2000sk*
*etc*etc*etc*
DLL9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 20:02   #25
Randal45
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 20
Has anyone shot 9x25 Dillion ( with the LW conversion barrel ) through their G29? That is the only one that makes me nervous.
Randal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 20:17   #26
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman
 
_The_Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast, LoUiSiAna
Posts: 4,274
I shoot the 9x25Dillon from a S&W1006 with a 5" barrel, I find it almost too short for full potential of the cartridge.

I contacted JR of LWD about getting the longer barrel(4.78") made without the ports, he said NO! that the ports are cut early in the machining process. I thing that's a load of crap!

The 4.78" barrel would be much better to get the most from the 9x25Dillon but I don't want any port expelling gas and unburned powder up in front of my line of sight, light breeze blowing back toward the shooter and you get powder in your face, bright flash in your vision, not to mention the excess noise near the shooter.
__________________
Southeast, LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Member
BASS Life Member
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 19:57   #27
nitesite10mm
Dog Lover
 
nitesite10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL9mm View Post
So Far I have fired the following ammo through my G29...
Winchester Silvertips
Hornady 180gr. XTP
Winchester Black Talon
PMC 200gr. FMJ
Double Tap 135 gr. Nosler
Double Tap 200gr. FMJ
Double Tap 165gr. Gold dots
Double Tap 180 gr. Gold dots

I am awaiting ammo orders from Georgia Arms
My Georgia Arms G10B 180-gr Gold Dot ammo chrono's an honest 1185-fps with less than a 7-fps SD from my G29.

Not bad from a short barrelled pistol when the ammo is advertised at 1150-fps. And the consistency is better than most of my handloads, so G10B is what I carry in real life. Oh, it's also accurate!
__________________
Dogs
Guns
BBQ
in no particular order.........
nitesite10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:36   #28
agtman
10mm Spartiate
 
agtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitesite10mm View Post
My Georgia Arms G10B 180-gr Gold Dot ammo chrono's an honest 1185-fps with less than a 7-fps SD from my G29.

Not bad from a short barrelled pistol when the ammo is advertised at 1150-fps. And the consistency is better than most of my handloads, so G10B is what I carry in real life. Oh, it's also accurate!

I agree.

GA's 180gn GD ammo is good stuff and demonstrates great shot-to-shot consistency. It virtually duplicates the old ProLoad 180 10mm GDHP load, which was spec-ed @ 1200fps/575fpe. The PL 180gn GD was an excellent, and very accurate, mid-range carry or duty load, and was a bit hotter than most in the days before Texas Ammo, DT or Buffalo Bore.

__________________
The 10mm AUTO: when you're finally serious about stopping power.
More great 10mm sites:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
agtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:19   #29
Retired Squid
Senior Member
 
Retired Squid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SwampeastMO
Posts: 880
I use a Super-X Silvertip and a quote from one of their adds;

Super-X Silvertip (175gr JHP) offers a unique combination of power, precision, reliable functioning and on-target performance via a specially engineered jacketed bullet. This bullet delivers penetration and rapid energy release with virtually no weight loss or bullet fragmentation. Super-X jacketed hollow points have notched jackets to ensure positive expansion. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Muzzle Velocity: 1290 fps
Muzzle Energy: 649 ft. lbs.


This round is absoutely deady accurate, and has never failed to feed in my 10mm handguns and I also use the same brand and type ammo in my Para PXT 14-45 Gun Rights (14+1)) that I use as home defence weapon. This Para is the only gun other then my S&W 10xx pistols to ever load an empty case.
__________________
Rimfire for plinking, 357 Magum for paper, 10mm for when 45ACP isn't enough and 44 Magnum for everything else.

Last edited by Retired Squid; 07-21-2009 at 06:30..
Retired Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:16   #30
agtman
10mm Spartiate
 
agtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Squid View Post
*** a quote from one of their adds;

Super-X Silvertip (175gr JHP) offers a unique combination of power, precision, reliable functioning and on-target performance via a specially engineered jacketed bullet. This bullet delivers penetration and rapid energy release with virtually no weight loss or bullet fragmentation. Super-X jacketed hollow points have notched jackets to ensure positive expansion. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Muzzle Velocity: 1290 fps
Muzzle Energy: 649 ft. lbs.


Don't believe everything you read. The ST factory load is accurate, but it isn't doing anywhere near that alleged "1290fps" m.v., even from a 5" tube. Winchester's box-flap propaganda is supposedly derived from a 5.5" super-secret test barrel that nobody gets to see.

Out of real-world 10mm pistols, however, the posted chrono results - from 10mm shooters here and on 10mmTalk - have recorded ST velocities falling between 1200fps-1220fps from 5" guns, and between 1180fps-1150fps from G20s (4.6"). Sometimes less, as low as 1140fps from one poster. Plus, you'll see lot-to-lot inconsistency. From the G29's 3.8" tube, the ST's velocity is about the same as a warmish .40 load.

Unfortunately, when compared to DT, Buffalo Bore, CorBon, or even GA, Winchester's 175gn STHPs are little more than a Brokeback Mountain load masquarading as a "10mm." Yeah, it's off-the-shelf availability is attractive, but at the end of the day you've paid more for less: a more expensive case producing downloaded performance, with an outdated 1st Generation 10mm slug.

Don't know if he still loads them, but if you want "full power" 10mm STHPs, Ron Reed @ Reed's Ammo used to load them in new brass to an honest 1300fps.

__________________
The 10mm AUTO: when you're finally serious about stopping power.
More great 10mm sites:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
agtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:50   #31
Retired Squid
Senior Member
 
Retired Squid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SwampeastMO
Posts: 880
I just bought two boxes couple weeks ago and the two I checked 1283 and 1287 FPS out of my S&W 610-3, I only use those in CCW to help be lawyer proof. Got no idea what they would do out of my G29 as I didn't have it with me. The Crono was a friends and we were checking some hand loads.

I had planned to check the 45 ACP and completely forgot the gun and ammo. I only brought the two factory 10mm rounds with me as they are too expensive to shoot for this old fart. All the other ammo checked was lead hand loads for 10mm, 44 mag and 357 and his 40 cal and 45 Colt.
__________________
Rimfire for plinking, 357 Magum for paper, 10mm for when 45ACP isn't enough and 44 Magnum for everything else.
Retired Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:11   #32
agtman
10mm Spartiate
 
agtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Squid View Post
I just bought two boxes couple weeks ago and the two I checked 1283 and 1287 FPS out of my S&W 610-3, I only use those in CCW to help be lawyer proof. Got no idea what they would do out of my G29 as I didn't have it with me. The Crono was a friends and we were checking some hand loads.
So that was 1283fps and 1287fps from the 6.5" barrel of your 610-3 wheelgun? (assuming it was the one referenced in your Sig-line?)

That pretty much confirms my references to other's chrono results w/ the STHPs. Just to get to 1287fps, the 175gn STHP needed a 6.5" bore. And that's a real 6.5" of barrel within which the gas is working the bullet.

Don't forget the difference between measuring auto versus revolver barrels. With the latter, you're measuring the pure bore length which the bullet traverses on its way to the muzzle (6.5"). While with an auto, the given "barrel" length (4.6") includes the chamber. Since the bullet never traverses the chamber, that means there's less actual rifled bore involved to generate the velocity than the stated barrel length.

So, as I noted earlier, Winchester's velocity specs appear to be suspect, since no one knows what kind of factory "test barrel" they're using, and whether the 5.5" is all pure rifled bore or is a regular auto barrel that includes a chamber or breech.

__________________
The 10mm AUTO: when you're finally serious about stopping power.
More great 10mm sites:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
agtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:37   #33
Retired Squid
Senior Member
 
Retired Squid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SwampeastMO
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
So that was 1283fps and 1287fps from the 6.5" barrel of your 610-3 wheelgun? (assuming it was the one referenced in your Sig-line?)

That pretty much confirms my references to other's chrono results w/ the STHPs. Just to get to 1287fps, the 175gn STHP needed a 6.5" bore. And that's a real 6.5" of barrel within which the gas is working the bullet.

Don't forget the difference between measuring auto versus revolver barrels. With the latter, you're measuring the pure bore length which the bullet traverses on its way to the muzzle (6.5"). While with an auto, the given "barrel" length (4.6") includes the chamber. Since the bullet never traverses the chamber, that means there's less actual rifled bore involved to generate the velocity than the stated barrel length.

So, as I noted earlier, Winchester's velocity specs appear to be suspect, since no one knows what kind of factory "test barrel" they're using, and whether the 5.5" is all pure rifled bore or is a regular auto barrel that includes a chamber or breech.

Well most handguns ammo is tested in 5" to 6" barrels and I doubt that the G29 would drop more then 5% with its 3.5" barrel. Rememer in a revolver you have a big drop cause by the cylinder and barrel gap which is .008" in the 610-3 and S&W said that is in spec as far as they are concerned. My 610 no dash 5" has a .0035" gap, and test barrels are basically rifles or if an actual will be the more common model for that caliber. I was figuring the G29 would be clocking about 1200 FPS or maybe a tad more even, but the difference in being shot by 10mm going 1200 FPS or 1300 FPS ain't squat I would imagine.

I really think you guys may be picking nits here, but everyone is intitled to their own opinion. If I ever have to pull my G29 on a guy he will get all ten anyway, as I will be crazy with fear most likely.
__________________
Rimfire for plinking, 357 Magum for paper, 10mm for when 45ACP isn't enough and 44 Magnum for everything else.

Last edited by Retired Squid; 07-21-2009 at 16:30..
Retired Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 16:00   #34
Taterhead
Counting Beans
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 2,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post


Don't believe everything you read. The ST factory load is accurate, but it isn't doing anywhere near that alleged "1290fps" m.v., even from a 5" tube. Winchester's box-flap propaganda is supposedly derived from a 5.5" super-secret test barrel that nobody gets to see.

Out of real-world 10mm pistols, however, the posted chrono results - from 10mm shooters here and on 10mmTalk - have recorded ST velocities falling between 1200fps-1220fps from 5" guns, and between 1180fps-1150fps from G20s (4.6"). Sometimes less, as low as 1140fps from one poster. Plus, you'll see lot-to-lot inconsistency. From the G29's 3.8" tube, the ST's velocity is about the same as a warmish .40 load.

Unfortunately, when compared to DT, Buffalo Bore, CorBon, or even GA, Winchester's 175gn STHPs are little more than a Brokeback Mountain load masquarading as a "10mm." Yeah, it's off-the-shelf availability is attractive, but at the end of the day you've paid more for less: a more expensive case producing downloaded performance, with an outdated 1st Generation 10mm slug.

Don't know if he still loads them, but if you want "full power" 10mm STHPs, Ron Reed @ Reed's Ammo used to load them in new brass to an honest 1300fps.

+1 on the STip eval. I can confirm that the velocities from a stock G20 barrel (22 lb spring) are 1148 as measured from 15 feet. This was a wee-bit less than the factory claim.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 16:44   #35
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman
 
_The_Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast, LoUiSiAna
Posts: 4,274
One thing is for sure, each gun is different, and each barrel, its length, rifling style and its condition (oil or lube, rust, fouling or leading) will all have affects on what ever ammo you put thru it. Velocities can be affected by temps; humidity’s and air pressure for a given elevation as well.

Having a Chronograph is a useful tool in comparison of to substaniate manufacture's claims and what the actual performance is thru your own pistols. Why is this important? The ability of a particular bullet to do work and how much energy is determined by the velocities to which they obtain.

How this energy is delivered is determined by the bullet's design and construction within a given window of velocity, being too low or too high, the actual performance can change the dynamics of the design.

None of this means squat if you can't place the round where it will be most effective for it to work!
__________________
Southeast, LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Member
BASS Life Member
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 16:59   #36
Retired Squid
Senior Member
 
Retired Squid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SwampeastMO
Posts: 880
I have 200gr 44 Mag running about 1550 FPS out of my 8" Dan Wesson and trying to work it to its limit. My guess is 1700 FPS range. But you want to see some 180 gr or 200 gr loads zip, try my 16.25" Marlin.

All traditional 1911's have a two piece feed ramp and like Glock they do not have fully supported chamber, my Para has a full supported match grade chamber and one piece feed ramp. Looking forward to working up some hot loads for that baby, maybe some 1100 FPS 230 or some 1250/1300 FPS 200 gr loads.
__________________
Rimfire for plinking, 357 Magum for paper, 10mm for when 45ACP isn't enough and 44 Magnum for everything else.
Retired Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 19:03   #37
DLL9mm
Senior Member
 
DLL9mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MICHIGAN
Posts: 2,672
I like the Winchester SilverTips. I can shoot them very well outta my Glock 29. I previously carried Double Tap 180gr. Gold Dots, but switched back to SilverTips.
__________________
*G32 Gen 4*
*HK P2000sk*
*etc*etc*etc*
DLL9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:47   #38
Deep Nylon
Me flinch?
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL9mm View Post
I like the Winchester SilverTips. I can shoot them very well outta my Glock 29. I previously carried Double Tap 180gr. Gold Dots, but switched back to SilverTips.
Why did you switch back, if I may ask?
Deep Nylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:03   #39
Retired Squid
Senior Member
 
Retired Squid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SwampeastMO
Posts: 880
I like the Win Silver Tip because of being able at a glance to see I have my carry ammo, and not a handload, it has good performance, and for me easy to find.

That said I would rather carry my own loads, Nosler 180gr would probably first choice. They are only about 15 cents each on average.
__________________
Rimfire for plinking, 357 Magum for paper, 10mm for when 45ACP isn't enough and 44 Magnum for everything else.
Retired Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:27   #40
hill billy
Head Case
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Squid View Post
I like the Win Silver Tip because of being able at a glance to see I have my carry ammo, and not a handload, it has good performance, and for me easy to find.

That said I would rather carry my own loads, Nosler 180gr would probably first choice. They are only about 15 cents each on average.
Out of curiosity, why don't you carry your own loads?
hill billy is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,009
255 Members
754 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31