SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-22-2009, 20:54   #21
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom2 View Post
Yup, it was pretty much like every other thread around here. 1 or 2 pages of useful info and then 6 pages of bickering.
That Fusion thread a few weeks back went to hell.

I think that's why everyone is being cautious here.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 21:24   #22
custom2

Send a message via AIM to custom2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
That Fusion thread a few weeks back went to hell.

I think that's why everyone is being cautious here.
From what I can tell and for what that's worth, I think buying one of their kits is a good buy for a tinkerer like me. Their frames are either forged SS or forged CS now. I don't care who makes them for Fusion, I'm going to buy one unless a used Valor or CBOB pops up out of nowhere locally. I don't know if I would buy one of their pre built guns or have them make one for me though. The only thing I want them to install for me is the plunger tube, pre fit the sights and extractor. The rest is up to me.
custom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:17   #23
bac1023

Quote:
From what I can tell and for what that's worth, I think buying one of their kits is a good buy for a tinkerer like me. Their frames are either forged SS or forged CS now. I don't care who makes them for Fusion, I'm going to buy one unless a used Valor or CBOB pops up out of nowhere locally. I don't know if I would buy one of their pre built guns or have them make one for me though. The only thing I want them to install for me is the plunger tube, pre fit the sights and extractor. The rest is up to me.
Its going to be sheer luck if a CBOB or Valor pop up used anytime soon. I don't think I've ever seen a used model of either on display anywhere. I never saw a new Valor either. I haven't seen a new CBOB in a long time. They just aren't around.

The staked on plunger tube and extractor are certainly wise to let someone do, in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:42   #24
custom2

I don't feel confident in my abilities to fit a barrel, plunger tube or ejector yet. I would hate to spend that money just to ruin it, I agree.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:17   #25
bac1023

Quote:
I don't feel confident in my abilities to fit a barrel, plunger tube or ejector yet. I would hate to spend that money just to ruin it, I agree.
I believe many of their kits have the plunger and ejector already installed. I'll have to check.

What specs are you looking to go with?

Commander, full size, longslide?

I don't think he does any bull barrel setups, but you probably don't want that anyway.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:33   #26
tous
GET A ROPE!

Quote:
Fusion will sell you a short block as complete as you want. A plunger tube staking tool is around $40.00. If you don't plan on installing a bunch of them, probably best to have them do it. Same with the ejector. Most folk need a few tries to learn how to do either operation well.

I like Fusion, both as a parts supplier and as a complete pistol. Yes, a Fusion pistol is not a $5,000 custom build. But, you aren't paying $5,000. I suggest that they are slightly functionally superior to a comparable Springfield or Kimber, the fit and finish is a notch above a consumer model, you get a Series 70 ignition system and the folks there are a pleasure to work with.

A great value for the money.

2.9979E10 cm/sec -- it's not just a good idea; it's the law
tous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:20   #27
custom2

Quote:
I believe many of their kits have the plunger and ejector already installed. I'll have to check.

What specs are you looking to go with?

Commander, full size, longslide?

I don't think he does any bull barrel setups, but you probably don't want that anyway.
They most certainly do offer those items pre installed on their kits. But, if you opt to buy all the pieces for the frame separately, they will install them for a nominal fee along the lines of 20 dollars each.

To answer your question about what I want to buy in terms of size, I really haven't decided yet. I better hurry up though. I started my Kimber build up as a blue print as to what I wanted to achieve with my Fusion build. Now that I think of it more, I kind of miss having a Commander sized gun. I don't know if I will go with a bobbed frame because having a magwell extension is an important feature to me but I also love the look of a bobbed frame. Having a bull barrel isn't that important to me. I did like the way it tooked on my old CDP but I prefer function over form anyway.

So, all I can say is
Old 07-23-2009, 12:25   #28
bac1023

Quote:
They most certainly do offer those items pre installed on their kits. But, if you opt to buy all the pieces for the frame separately, they will install them for a nominal fee along the lines of 20 dollars each.

To answer your question about what I want to buy in terms of size, I really haven't decided yet. I better hurry up though. I started my Kimber build up as a blue print as to what I wanted to achieve with my Fusion build. Now that I think of it more, I kind of miss having a Commander sized gun. I don't know if I will go with a bobbed frame because having a magwell extension is an important feature to me but I also love the look of a bobbed frame. Having a bull barrel isn't that important to me. I did like the way it tooked on my old CDP but I prefer function over form anyway.

So, all I can say is
True. I like both bull barrels and bushing setups. Bull barrels have a tighter lockup, generally speaking, because there is only the one tolerance point, whereas a bushing setup has two.

Last edited by bac1023; 07-23-2009 at 14:23..
Old 07-23-2009, 12:27   #29
HAIL CAESAR

My new one is still a month and a half out.
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:49   #30
custom2

Quote:
True. I like both bull barrels and bushing setups. Bull barrels have a tighter lockup, generally speaking, because there is only the one tolerance point, whereas a bush setup has two.
Thanks for that tid bit of info on bull barrels. I was unaware. I'm so very torn about getting a Commander VS a 5 incher. Maybe I will let fate decide (flip a coin).
Old 07-23-2009, 14:27   #31
bac1023

Quote:
Thanks for that tid bit of info on bull barrels. I was unaware. I'm so very torn about getting a Commander VS a 5 incher. Maybe I will let fate decide (flip a coin).
I always felt a magwell went better with a full size model, but my Fusion is obviously a commander that has one.
Old 07-23-2009, 19:36   #32
Substance-P

I just talked with Bob Serva again via email. They have had one of my guns for refinishing for a couple of months (it was supposed to be done in a few weeks but things must have picked up there). It hasn't been a big deal b/c I have been in the middle of a move and haven't been able to follow up on it but I am looking forward to getting it back and being able to contribute some to these Fusion threads.
Substance-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 19:44   #33
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substance-P View Post
I just talked with Bob Serva again via email. They have had one of my guns for refinishing for a couple of months (it was supposed to be done in a few weeks but things must have picked up there). It hasn't been a big deal b/c I have been in the middle of a move and haven't been able to follow up on it but I am looking forward to getting it back and being able to contribute some to these Fusion threads.
Cool.

My Pistol Dynamics has been in finishing phase for nearly three months now.
Old 01-17-2010, 23:45   #34
army.matt

any advice for a guy getting ready to start his first build up. Dont tell me to just buy one cause Im doing it to gain experience and cause I live a somewhat boring life. Tools needed to complete installation of frame parts and slide parts? Thanks for any advice.
army.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 00:43   #35
BOGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by army.matt View Post
...Dont tell me to just buy one...

Just buy one.

Seriously, there are some neophytes that can watch a video and then build a 1911. That would be about three people in the USA total.
The tools are expensive, the work is precise and requires much patience. I would recommend getting the Kunhausen 1911 book first & then watching a video or two. Better yet if you have a local 'smith that knows 1911īs and will let you watch.

I say this as I have known many people who started out to do this and either gave up or f&%$%# up the work so bad that it was pathetic.

It ainīt as easy as it looks.
BOGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 16:58   #36
army.matt

Thanks for the advice. I stoped by the gun store and talked to the gunsmith for a couple of hours and he was pretty informative. He even let me know of a gunsmith school near by. Its about an hour or so away.
army.matt is offline   Reply With Quote