GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 22:32   #1
mikegun
Senior Member
 
mikegun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: colorado
Posts: 4,079
9mm ammo used by Los Angeles Sheriffs?

Does anyone know what duty ammo the LA Sheriffs office carries in their 9mm duty pistols?
__________________
RIP K9 Fant, K9 Flambo. Loyal ,trusted partners.
mikegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 23:07   #2
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate
 
freakshow10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Posts: 11,297
My guess is the 124gr version of a Gold Dot, HS, or Ranger. Either of them will do the job.
__________________
Commercial ammunition handloader since 2006.
You can kill it. We can help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:38   #3
xcop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 364


Lasd

Current ammo is Winchester 147gr RA9T
xcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 13:04   #4
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766
 
hotpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: SW / West Central Illinois
Posts: 4,464


Quote:
Originally Posted by xcop View Post
Current ammo is Winchester 147gr RA9T
They used to carry the RA9SXT until the RA9T replaced it.
__________________
Keep your guns stashed and your powder dry.
hotpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 13:35   #5
JBP55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 8,295
A good choice.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 13:37   #6
mikegun
Senior Member
 
mikegun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: colorado
Posts: 4,079
They seem to have had very good success with these rounds on street shootings in the last month or so, who says 9mm does not work?
__________________
RIP K9 Fant, K9 Flambo. Loyal ,trusted partners.
mikegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 18:07   #7
RIPPED
G One NINER
 
RIPPED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orlando,Florida
Posts: 627
RA9T Tampa Police Dept Duty Ammo as well.
__________________
TIME IS THE SPHERE IN WHICH DREAMS COME TRUE...
RIPPED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 18:40   #8
JBP55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 8,295
Denham Springs, La. PD as well in G34's.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 18:38   #9
mikegun
Senior Member
 
mikegun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: colorado
Posts: 4,079
I am azed LASO has the ammount of fatal OIS with this round, it would be one of the last 9mm bullets i would shoot in this cal, just to heavy compared to....
__________________
RIP K9 Fant, K9 Flambo. Loyal ,trusted partners.
mikegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 18:50   #10
Dandapani
Senior Member
 
Dandapani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gulf side Florida
Posts: 22,804


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegun View Post
They seem to have had very good success with these rounds on street shootings in the last month or so, who says 9mm does not work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPED View Post
RA9T Tampa Police Dept Duty Ammo as well.
That's UNPOSSIBLE! Every knows that 147 grain in 9mm is crap. Only 115 grain +++P+++ will remotely do the job, and it will take more than 17 rounds to do it......



j/k
__________________
Dan
Karma -What goes around, comes around!
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 19:23   #11
Philly K-9
Run! I Dare ya!
 
Philly K-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA.
Posts: 959
In January Philadelphia (PA) Police, my department, will switch to 147 grain Federal HST 9mm ammo. We used to issue 115 grain Federal Classic (9BP). The 147 grain HST did very well in testing. One factor that makes 147 grain a good choice, IMHO, is the fact that it gets cold here in Philly so the bad guys are dressed in several layers of bulky clothes. The heavier bullet will penertrate better than a lighter round. And HST's tend to expand very well.

We also have the option of buying and using a Glock .40 or .45! I choose the Glock 21SF in good old .45 ACP!!!!!! We are issued 230 grain HST .45 and 165 grain HST in the .40's. All very good rounds!
__________________
one nation, UNDER GOD, with liberty and justice for all.
Glock 21SF (Duty), Glock 30SF, Glock 19
Glock 27, Ruger LCR, J-frame
Plenty of room for more....
Philly K-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 19:52   #12
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766
 
hotpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: SW / West Central Illinois
Posts: 4,464


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegun View Post
I am azed LASO has the ammount of fatal OIS with this round, it would be one of the last 9mm bullets i would shoot in this cal, just to heavy compared to....
Welcome to modern bullet technology. A lot has changed in the last ten years since you have been gone.
__________________
Keep your guns stashed and your powder dry.
hotpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:14   #13
mikegun
Senior Member
 
mikegun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: colorado
Posts: 4,079
busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpig View Post
Welcome to modern bullet technology. A lot has changed in the last ten years since you have been gone.
What can i say you busted me good.....
__________________
RIP K9 Fant, K9 Flambo. Loyal ,trusted partners.
mikegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:51   #14
Regular Joe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 422
WHO CARES what LA does? I study, and test, and hand load to superior performance. 12 years ago, I was at a police range with those steel targets that fall when you hit them. I watched as several different guys took their place, and used up to a full magazine to take them all down, with a dull ring on each hit. It came my turn. Using my P-85, loaded with the 124 gr. Hornady XTP over 8 gr. of Blue Dot with a Rem Bench Rest rifle primer, I BLASTED all 12 in just over 3 sec. The other "competitors" eyed me with suspicion. The range officer told me that he didn't want me abusing the targets that way. That was the very last time I gave a hint of a hoot about what the cops think of my loads and my shooting. I am on their side. That is all they need to know about me, and the end of my interest in what they do.
Regular Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:26   #15
Bullet Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 248
Lapd

Ref: Tampa PD, you are correct about the 9mm. They will be changing guns and ammunition in March... They have purchased the M&P 40 and 60,000 rounds of 40 Gold Dot.. The Gold Dot is already there...
Bullet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:13   #16
ricklee4570
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly K-9 View Post
In January Philadelphia (PA) Police, my department, will switch to 147 grain Federal HST 9mm ammo. We used to issue 115 grain Federal Classic (9BP). The 147 grain HST did very well in testing. One factor that makes 147 grain a good choice, IMHO, is the fact that it gets cold here in Philly so the bad guys are dressed in several layers of bulky clothes. The heavier bullet will penertrate better than a lighter round. And HST's tend to expand very well.

We also have the option of buying and using a Glock .40 or .45! I choose the Glock 21SF in good old .45 ACP!!!!!! We are issued 230 grain HST .45 and 165 grain HST in the .40's. All very good rounds!
I heard that they had really good results with the Federal 9BP's, I wonder why they are switching. When something is working, why change?
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:48   #17
Philly K-9
Run! I Dare ya!
 
Philly K-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA.
Posts: 959
Well, from what I understand, the Fed HST line is really good ammo. We are allowed to buy and carry .40's and .45's and both are loaded with HST. Maybe it's just a matter of making the ordering prosess simpler. But what I think really happened is that our Comm. listened to people who know what the're talking about and ordered the switch based upon that recomendition. If so, that's something past Comm. never did.
__________________
one nation, UNDER GOD, with liberty and justice for all.
Glock 21SF (Duty), Glock 30SF, Glock 19
Glock 27, Ruger LCR, J-frame
Plenty of room for more....
Philly K-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:29   #18
SIGShooter
Hucklebucks
 
SIGShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular Joe View Post
WHO CARES what LA does? I study, and test, and hand load to superior performance. 12 years ago, I was at a police range with those steel targets that fall when you hit them. I watched as several different guys took their place, and used up to a full magazine to take them all down, with a dull ring on each hit. It came my turn. Using my P-85, loaded with the 124 gr. Hornady XTP over 8 gr. of Blue Dot with a Rem Bench Rest rifle primer, I BLASTED all 12 in just over 3 sec. The other "competitors" eyed me with suspicion. The range officer told me that he didn't want me abusing the targets that way. That was the very last time I gave a hint of a hoot about what the cops think of my loads and my shooting. I am on their side. That is all they need to know about me, and the end of my interest in what they do.

WTF are you smoking!?!

What does this have to do with anything in regards to what the OP asked?

OP:

I believe it is the 147 Gr. Ranger as well. I just read a thread here a few days ago with a list of departments and what their issued ammo is. I can't remember where I saw it though.
SIGShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 17:36   #19
Roering
Sorting nuts
 
Roering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular Joe View Post
WHO CARES what LA does? I study, and test, and hand load to superior performance. 12 years ago, I was at a police range with those steel targets that fall when you hit them. I watched as several different guys took their place, and used up to a full magazine to take them all down, with a dull ring on each hit. It came my turn. Using my P-85, loaded with the 124 gr. Hornady XTP over 8 gr. of Blue Dot with a Rem Bench Rest rifle primer, I BLASTED all 12 in just over 3 sec. The other "competitors" eyed me with suspicion. The range officer told me that he didn't want me abusing the targets that way. That was the very last time I gave a hint of a hoot about what the cops think of my loads and my shooting. I am on their side. That is all they need to know about me, and the end of my interest in what they do.
Methinks there is a Mall somewhere missing its Ninja.

As to the OP I don't know for sure but a lot of PD's seem to lean towards the heavier grain hollow points.
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 18:19   #20
CanyonMan
In The Saddle
 
CanyonMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGShooter View Post
WTF are you smoking!?!

What does this have to do with anything in regards to what the OP asked?

OP:

I believe it is the 147 Gr. Ranger as well. I just read a thread here a few days ago with a list of departments and what their issued ammo is. I can't remember where I saw it though.





CM
__________________
You boy's saddled this bronc, now let's see if you can ride it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:32.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 761
193 Members
568 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31