Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2009, 22:32   #1
mikegun

9mm ammo used by Los Angeles Sheriffs?

Does anyone know what duty ammo the LA Sheriffs office carries in their 9mm duty pistols?
Old 10-08-2009, 23:07   #2
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

My guess is the 124gr version of a Gold Dot, HS, or Ranger. Either of them will do the job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:38   #3
xcop

Lasd

Current ammo is Winchester 147gr RA9T
xcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 13:04   #4
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcop View Post
Current ammo is Winchester 147gr RA9T
They used to carry the RA9SXT until the RA9T replaced it.
Old 10-09-2009, 13:35   #5
JBP55

A good choice.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 13:37   #6
mikegun

They seem to have had very good success with these rounds on street shootings in the last month or so, who says 9mm does not work?
Old 10-09-2009, 18:07   #7
RIPPED
G One NINER

RA9T Tampa Police Dept Duty Ammo as well.
Old 10-09-2009, 18:40   #8
JBP55

Denham Springs, La. PD as well in G34's.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 18:38   #9
mikegun

I am azed LASO has the ammount of fatal OIS with this round, it would be one of the last 9mm bullets i would shoot in this cal, just to heavy compared to....
Old 10-11-2009, 18:50   #10
Dandapani

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegun View Post
They seem to have had very good success with these rounds on street shootings in the last month or so, who says 9mm does not work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPED View Post
RA9T Tampa Police Dept Duty Ammo as well.
That's UNPOSSIBLE! Every knows that 147 grain in 9mm is crap. Only 115 grain +++P+++ will remotely do the job, and it will take more than 17 rounds to do it......

j/k
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 19:23   #11
Philly K-9
Run! I Dare ya!

In January Philadelphia (PA) Police, my department, will switch to 147 grain Federal HST 9mm ammo. We used to issue 115 grain Federal Classic (9BP). The 147 grain HST did very well in testing. One factor that makes 147 grain a good choice, IMHO, is the fact that it gets cold here in Philly so the bad guys are dressed in several layers of bulky clothes. The heavier bullet will penertrate better than a lighter round. And HST's tend to expand very well.

We also have the option of buying and using a Glock .40 or .45! I choose the Glock 21SF in good old .45 ACP!!!!!! We are issued 230 grain HST .45 and 165 grain HST in the .40's. All very good rounds!
Plenty of room for more....
Philly K-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 19:52   #12
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegun View Post
I am azed LASO has the ammount of fatal OIS with this round, it would be one of the last 9mm bullets i would shoot in this cal, just to heavy compared to....
Welcome to modern bullet technology. A lot has changed in the last ten years since you have been gone.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:14   #13
mikegun

busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpig View Post
Welcome to modern bullet technology. A lot has changed in the last ten years since you have been gone.
What can i say you busted me good.....
Old 10-12-2009, 04:51   #14
Regular Joe

WHO CARES what LA does? I study, and test, and hand load to superior performance. 12 years ago, I was at a police range with those steel targets that fall when you hit them. I watched as several different guys took their place, and used up to a full magazine to take them all down, with a dull ring on each hit. It came my turn. Using my P-85, loaded with the 124 gr. Hornady XTP over 8 gr. of Blue Dot with a Rem Bench Rest rifle primer, I BLASTED all 12 in just over 3 sec. The other "competitors" eyed me with suspicion. The range officer told me that he didn't want me abusing the targets that way. That was the very last time I gave a hint of a hoot about what the cops think of my loads and my shooting. I am on their side. That is all they need to know about me, and the end of my interest in what they do.
Regular Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:26   #15
Bullet Man

Lapd

Ref: Tampa PD, you are correct about the 9mm. They will be changing guns and ammunition in March... They have purchased the M&P 40 and 60,000 rounds of 40 Gold Dot.. The Gold Dot is already there...
Bullet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:13   #16
ricklee4570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly K-9 View Post
In January Philadelphia (PA) Police, my department, will switch to 147 grain Federal HST 9mm ammo. We used to issue 115 grain Federal Classic (9BP). The 147 grain HST did very well in testing. One factor that makes 147 grain a good choice, IMHO, is the fact that it gets cold here in Philly so the bad guys are dressed in several layers of bulky clothes. The heavier bullet will penertrate better than a lighter round. And HST's tend to expand very well.

We also have the option of buying and using a Glock .40 or .45! I choose the Glock 21SF in good old .45 ACP!!!!!! We are issued 230 grain HST .45 and 165 grain HST in the .40's. All very good rounds!
I heard that they had really good results with the Federal 9BP's, I wonder why they are switching. When something is working, why change?
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:48   #17
Philly K-9
Run! I Dare ya!

Well, from what I understand, the Fed HST line is really good ammo. We are allowed to buy and carry .40's and .45's and both are loaded with HST. Maybe it's just a matter of making the ordering prosess simpler. But what I think really happened is that our Comm. listened to people who know what the're talking about and ordered the switch based upon that recomendition. If so, that's something past Comm. never did.
Plenty of room for more....
Philly K-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:29   #18
SIGShooter
Hucklebucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular Joe View Post
WHO CARES what LA does? I study, and test, and hand load to superior performance. 12 years ago, I was at a police range with those steel targets that fall when you hit them. I watched as several different guys took their place, and used up to a full magazine to take them all down, with a dull ring on each hit. It came my turn. Using my P-85, loaded with the 124 gr. Hornady XTP over 8 gr. of Blue Dot with a Rem Bench Rest rifle primer, I BLASTED all 12 in just over 3 sec. The other "competitors" eyed me with suspicion. The range officer told me that he didn't want me abusing the targets that way. That was the very last time I gave a hint of a hoot about what the cops think of my loads and my shooting. I am on their side. That is all they need to know about me, and the end of my interest in what they do.

WTF are you smoking!?!

What does this have to do with anything in regards to what the OP asked?

OP:

I believe it is the 147 Gr. Ranger as well. I just read a thread here a few days ago with a list of departments and what their issued ammo is. I can't remember where I saw it though.
SIGShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 17:36   #19
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular Joe View Post
Methinks there is a Mall somewhere missing its Ninja.

As to the OP I don't know for sure but a lot of PD's seem to lean towards the heavier grain hollow points.
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 18:19   #20
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGShooter View Post
WTF are you smoking!?!

What does this have to do with anything in regards to what the OP asked?

OP:

I believe it is the 147 Gr. Ranger as well. I just read a thread here a few days ago with a list of departments and what their issued ammo is. I can't remember where I saw it though.

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote