Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:33   #1
TheLastDaze

What Everyone Should KNOW about DryFiring Their Pistol >>

OK, First of all I'm either man enough or stupid enough to share my ignorance with glocktalk public.

650 rounds later I'm still not at 100% with DA (glock)triggers, so I've posted in the past. EVERYONE recommends DRYFIRE, DRYFIRE etc.... So I buy a couple snap caps, but man what a pain to do, so I've never done it, UNTIL NOW..

Some of you noobies and old-timers may already know you DO NOT have to eject your snap cap AT ALL...

That's right I'm an idiot and never thought to even try to (reset) the striker without ejecting round (as I've never had to practice dryfire in my life), simply have a snap cap in and fire, then move slide back approximately 1/4" and you're ready again..

I'm sure EVERYONE KNOWS this, just thought I'd share for the possibility SOMEONE may not...

Ninja Glock, future infrared scope/accessoriesSPF
2 Turtle Doves SOLD!

TheLastDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:35   #2
glockfanbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDaze View Post

Some of you noobies and old-timers may already know you DO NOT have to eject your snap cap AT ALL...
Yep, I can't imagine dry firing with ejecting a snap cap all the time.
glockfanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:52   #3
Kentucky_Guy

for me, personally, i dont see the need to repeatedly dry-fire a glock...since its the exact same trigger pull ever time....

but now on my Sig 229 when i had it, i dry fired the heck out of it with a snap cap to smooth out the trigger and get accustomed to the double action pull....

again, nothing wrong with dry firing a glock, just dont see the need for it
Kentucky_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:05   #4
Butcher777

Thanks for the tip ,I've been around guns and shooting for over 35 years . Owning a Glock is new to me and I want any and all the information I can get . Thanks Mike
Butcher777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:09   #5
Slotback
Glock 35

Passing on lessons learned never hurts. No matter when it is learned.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:15   #6
MrVvrroomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDaze View Post

That's right I'm an idiot and never thought to even try to (reset) the striker without ejecting round (as I've never had to practice dryfire in my life), simply have a snap cap in and fire, then move slide back approximately 1/4" and you're ready again..

I'm sure EVERYONE KNOWS this, just thought I'd share for the possibility SOMEONE may not...
Even my wife is sitting here giggling after I read your post to her. LOL

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:23   #7
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Guy View Post
for me, personally, i dont see the need to repeatedly dry-fire a glock...since its the exact same trigger pull ever time....
Muscle memory,..... you are trining your ming, grip, stance and trigger finger.
It's a lot cheaper than bullets.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:28   #8
Palmguy
Boom.

Quote:

but now on my Sig 229 when i had it, i dry fired the heck out of it with a snap cap to smooth out the trigger and get accustomed to the double action pull....

I agree with faawrenchbndr...dryfire is important for practice. It's been the single most important practice technique in improving my shooting.
Palmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:09   #9
glockman513
CCW Instructor

A lot of repetitive dry firing will have the same affect as a .25 cent trigger job. But I mean A LOT of dry firing.
glockman513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:09   #10
jmsfmtex

Also

Using snap caps is beneficial in areas other than resetting the trigger. They are useful when doing drills on malfunctions. As one member mentioned "muscle memory". When you have a FTF you slap the magazine and rack the slide. This way you will most likely slap and rack rather than just reset the trigger. What you do during drills you will most likely do doing a real life situation.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:34   #11
TheLastDaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVvrroomm View Post
thanks, I feel so much better now.....

Ninja Glock, future infrared scope/accessoriesSPF
2 Turtle Doves SOLD!

TheLastDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:54   #12
toshbar
Timber Baron

Just going to put this out for the OP:

You also can hold the trigger back after dry firing, rack the slide, and then practice on your trigger reset and getting off another dry fire.
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:08   #13
hatrix

I'm gonna go ahead and admit that I didn't know this lol.

I've only dry fired the snap caps a couple times with my glock but damn, I feel stupid for not thinking of this
I just assumed most people used em for revolvers and dry fired without anything in autos
hatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:18   #14
Pappy John

Quote:
Muscle memory,..... you are trining your ming
I am????

Holy Cow! I'm not sure that's even legal in my state.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:21   #15
Brucev

It has been a long time since I've owned a Glock. Recently I bought a G-22RTF. I very much like the pistol. But it's far different that a 1911 trigger. I've been dry firing the pistol at night to develop control, etc. I understood that one did not need to use snap caps to dry fire a Glock. Is this information incorrect? Sincerely. Brucev.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:30   #16
Mr5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy John View Post
I am????

Holy Cow! I'm not sure that's even legal in my state.
That KILLED me!
Mr5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 15:53   #17
JBaird22

As far as needing to use snap caps to prevent damage in a Glock, they are not needed. The design of the gun and parts doesn't make the weapon susceptible to damage from dry firing. I think the OP was talking about using them in place of live ammo or an empty chamber.

I treat dry fire practice like malfunction drill practice in that I pulled the trigger, gun went click, I tap, rack reassess.

Dry firing is necessary in all firearms to building trigger finger strength, muscle memory and develop proper trigger control.

Former Certified Super Glock fixer
JBaird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 18:23   #18
.45Super-Man

Quote:

The point of dry firing isnt so much to smooth out the trigger, as it is to focus on sight alignment as you pull the trigger. Once you've released the striker or hammer without disturbing the sight picture, you're good.
Old 11-14-2009, 20:32   #19
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Muscle memory,..... you are training your mind, grip, stance and trigger finger.
It's a lot cheaper than bullets.
"Muscles" don't have "memory". What I assume you mean is, you are allowing those neural pathways in your brain to become familiar with the task so that it can become a subconscious action (like walking, breathing, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaird22 View Post
As far as needing to use snap caps to prevent damage in a Glock, they are not needed. The design of the gun and parts doesn't make the weapon susceptible to damage from dry firing. I think the OP was talking about using them in place of live ammo or an empty chamber.

I treat dry fire practice like malfunction drill practice in that I pulled the trigger, gun went click, I tap, rack reassess.

Dry firing is necessary in all firearms to building trigger finger strength, muscle memory and develop proper trigger control.

There is a GTer here (JAMROCK), who if memory serves me proper, damaged his Glock from dry firing. Not saying this is the case, just saying that's what HE said.

'Drew
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 21:40   #20
THEPOPE
Nibb

As I am sure you all know, dry-firing a Glock is the way to field strip it, and as such, it is designed for "dry-fire"....

Now, if you hold that trigger back, and move the slide a bit ( 1/4 inch, or less...)

you can now let loose the trigger slowly to experience the "re-set" feature of that trigger...and dry-fire again.

Maybe some other pistols can do this, too, I only know it's a fact about Glocks.

"........woe...black Betty...bam-a-lam.........."........I am nowwout

fullest extent of the LAW...
THEPOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:28   #21
JBaird22

Drew, as this being the internet, people say all sorts of things. Whether they are correct or not remains to be seen. I just know what the master armorer told me when I was certified. Dry firing should not damage a Glock. That being said, every gun that leaves the factory is now in a different state of repair and maintenance so someone that uses aftermarket parts, does a .25 cent trigger job or whatever might experience damage when dry firing. Doesn't make it dry firing's fault.

Former Certified Super Glock fixer
JBaird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 00:40   #22
zoyter2
Yeah, so what?

Quote:

If you dry fire for "just the trigger pull", you are not properly dry firing. Dry firing is the very best way to improve your accuracy and proficiency with a weapon. The benefits exceed live fire by a long shot.
Old 11-17-2009, 00:43   #23
Foxfire5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVvrroomm View Post
No offence but that is funny.
Foxfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 00:54   #24
Black Cloud

my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsfmtex View Post
Using snap caps is beneficial in areas other than resetting the trigger. They are useful when doing drills on malfunctions. As one member mentioned "muscle memory". When you have a FTF you slap the magazine and rack the slide. This way you will most likely slap and rack rather than just reset the trigger. What you do during drills you will most likely do doing a real life situation.
Exactly when you are dry firing, use that time also for properly manipulating the slide. You want it to become second nature. If you are going to do it, do it right.

Also practice reloading and getting the pistol ready from different conditions.
Black Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:19   #25
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaird22 View Post
Drew, as this being the internet, people say all sorts of things. Whether they are correct or not remains to be seen. I just know what the master armorer told me when I was certified. Dry firing should not damage a Glock. That being said, every gun that leaves the factory is now in a different state of repair and maintenance so someone that uses aftermarket parts, does a .25 cent trigger job or whatever might experience damage when dry firing. Doesn't make it dry firing's fault.

Understood. In this instance, I know of Jamrock, who he is, and what he does. I don't have the search-fu to find his thread.

OK. Maybe I WILL go search for it...
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote