GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 12:49   #1
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic
 
3rdgen40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 8,208
Mil-Spec Upgrades

I am planning some upgrades for my first and only (so far) 1911.Heres my list:
Ext.Thumb Safety
Ext. Beavertail
Ext.Slide Release
Ext.Mag Release
Commander (skeleton) Hammer
Three Hole Match Trigger
Flat RMH (checkered)
Carry Bevel
This will be my primary HD/CCW gun.Any other suggestions ? Anything on my list not a good idea for a defensive 1911 ? Any other internal parts I should upgrade ?

ETA: Are any of these parts "drop in" that I could change myself ?
__________________
BIG BORE FAN

Last edited by 3rdgen40; 01-01-2010 at 13:38..
3rdgen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 13:19   #2
chuckman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,199
The internals are fine as is. I would forego the 3-hole match trigger and get a simple trigger but get a good trigger job (unless you plan on competing). I am not a big fan of 'extended' this-and-that as this stuff can get caught on clothes, etc., but if you have small hands or like it, then go for it. I would ship the slide off for new sights. Otherwise I think you are good to go.
__________________
Regarding the 1911: "The gun was designed to function. If it's built to the proper specs...it'll run. It's a machine. It doesn't have a choice." 1911Tuner
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 13:29   #3
MBG20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 521
extended mag release, if too long, could release the mag while you are CC'n....
MBG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 13:37   #4
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic
 
3rdgen40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 8,208
Think I might scratch the ext. controls.I definately want the beavertail though, to mate with the hammer.I also need a longer trigger.The factory one is a bit short for my reach.I just like the look of the three hole.Is there a better choice for a combat gun ?
__________________
BIG BORE FAN

Last edited by 3rdgen40; 01-01-2010 at 13:40..
3rdgen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 13:49   #5
alwaysshootin
Senior Member
 
alwaysshootin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen40 View Post
I am planning some upgrades for my first and only (so far) 1911.Heres my list:
Ext.Thumb Safety
Ext. Beavertail
Ext.Slide Release
Ext.Mag Release
Commander (skeleton) Hammer
Three Hole Match Trigger
Flat RMH (checkered)
Carry Bevel
This will be my primary HD/CCW gun.Any other suggestions ? Anything on my list not a good idea for a defensive 1911 ? Any other internal parts I should upgrade ?

ETA: Are any of these parts "drop in" that I could change myself ?
Just curious, with the initial cost of the 1911, and, after getting all the customized parts put on, what will you be looking at having invested into this 1911? I know it's what you want, and, like you, would do the very same upgrades!
__________________
If guns kill people, then, I can blame my pencil on my spelling!
alwaysshootin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 14:27   #6
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 90,513
Are you sending it to Springfield Custom?
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 15:16   #7
zdragon23c
s&w&me
 
zdragon23c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 978
recently upgraded my GI with a Wilson commander beavertail(drop-in/minor fitting required).
1911 Forums
Colt stubby thumb safety/ colt slide stop/ Colt extractor/ Fusion extended ejector/Fusion full profile FP stop/ commander hammer/ serrated arched aluminum MSH/solid long aluminum trigger/Les Baer bushing/Kimber match barrel
__________________
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"
A.Lincoln

Last edited by zdragon23c; 01-01-2010 at 15:18..
zdragon23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 15:47   #8
drc767
Navy CSAR
 
drc767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon23c View Post
recently upgraded my GI with a Wilson commander beavertail(drop-in/minor fitting required).
1911 Forums
Colt stubby thumb safety/ colt slide stop/ Colt extractor/ Fusion extended ejector/Fusion full profile FP stop/ commander hammer/ serrated arched aluminum MSH/solid long aluminum trigger/Les Baer bushing/Kimber match barrel
Very nicely done!!! Did you do the work yourself or send it to a gunsmith?
__________________
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."--Thomas Jefferson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
drc767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 15:50   #9
zdragon23c
s&w&me
 
zdragon23c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc767 View Post
Very nicely done!!! Did you do the work yourself or send it to a gunsmith?
thanks for the kind words...
mostly DIY...the only exception was the ejection port lowering(out-sourced to a gunsmith buddy).... less than $300 invested in parts excluding tax of course.
1911 Forums
__________________
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"
A.Lincoln

Last edited by zdragon23c; 01-02-2010 at 00:44..
zdragon23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 20:25   #10
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic
 
3rdgen40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 8,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
Just curious, with the initial cost of the 1911, and, after getting all the customized parts put on, what will you be looking at having invested into this 1911? I know it's what you want, and, like you, would do the very same upgrades!
Don't have an exact cost on the upgrades yet.I would estimate around $1000 when all said and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Are you sending it to Springfield Custom?
Maybe...I am also looking into having it done by a "friend of a friend" who happens to work at Wilson Combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon23c View Post
recently upgraded my GI with a Wilson commander beavertail(drop-in/minor fitting required).
1911 Forums
Colt stubby thumb safety/ colt slide stop/ Colt extractor/ Fusion extended ejector/Fusion full profile FP stop/ commander hammer/ serrated arched aluminum MSH/solid long aluminum trigger/Les Baer bushing/Kimber match barrel
That looks sharp....
__________________
BIG BORE FAN
3rdgen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 21:10   #11
zdragon23c
s&w&me
 
zdragon23c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 978
^thank you very much^
__________________
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"
A.Lincoln
zdragon23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 21:59   #12
BOGE
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 5,555
FWIW, it´s a waste of time & money to do this as you´d be dollars & ¨sense¨ ahead to just buy a 1911 with the options you want. Sell the gun and buy what you want.
BOGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 00:11   #13
alwaysshootin
Senior Member
 
alwaysshootin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOGE View Post
FWIW, it´s a waste of time & money to do this as you´d be dollars & ¨sense¨ ahead to just buy a 1911 with the options you want. Sell the gun and buy what you want.

Kind of what I was getting at. From your response, you will have 1K into it, and not have a fitted match grade barrel and bushing. With those upgrades, you'd be looking around $1300. $1300 will buy quite a few really nice 1911's. How about it BAC, show him what 1300 will get him in a Kimber, or Springfield. If you have pics?

Now if you are doing the installation, yourself, the learning experience is well worth the investment! If you are paying someone else, just pay for the upgrades right away.
__________________
If guns kill people, then, I can blame my pencil on my spelling!
alwaysshootin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:31   #14
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: east of East St. Louis
Posts: 32,977
Something a few of those that are offering advice are missing,.....budget!

A new 1911 shooter may be on a budget. He may want certain options,
he may not care for any of the pre-packaged models or want to spend $3k
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:57   #15
chuckman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
Kind of what I was getting at. From your response, you will have 1K into it, and not have a fitted match grade barrel and bushing. With those upgrades, you'd be looking around $1300. $1300 will buy quite a few really nice 1911's. How about it BAC, show him what 1300 will get him in a Kimber, or Springfield. If you have pics?

Now if you are doing the installation, yourself, the learning experience is well worth the investment! If you are paying someone else, just pay for the upgrades right away.
Sure, this makes financial sense. But maybe the OP wants his gun his way, maybe he has a limited budget and can only do so many things at a time. My upgraded and customized Mil-Spec is unique, and I have been offered more money (to sell) than the sum of its parts are worth. As for a 'match-grade' barrel and bushing, that's one of those things that if you like it, hey, that's good, but for carry and 'combat' reliability and accuracy doesn't amount to a hill of beans.
__________________
Regarding the 1911: "The gun was designed to function. If it's built to the proper specs...it'll run. It's a machine. It doesn't have a choice." 1911Tuner
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:38   #16
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic
 
3rdgen40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 8,208
I would love to buy a Wilson or Ed Brown already set up the way I want it.Unfortunately, that is not an option for me at the present time.I am on a very,very limited gun budget.I will probably end up doing what I can myself, as far as upgrades.I thought about buying a S/A Loaded, which has most of the features I want in a 1911.However there are other things I don't like about the Loaded,like the front slide serrations as well as the size of the serrations.The Mil-Spec is what I feel a true 1911 should be.It just needs a few things to get it to where I want it to be.Then I will have *my 1911*,the way I want it.
Thanks for all the input and advice.
__________________
BIG BORE FAN
3rdgen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 14:13   #17
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic
 
3rdgen40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 8,208
Well, I detail stripped my frame today.Watched a good "how to" video as I did it.Pretty simple,just more parts than my Glocks.Just got it back together.Seems to function fine.Will have to take it to the range to find out for sure.
I found a drop in beavertail,so I think I can do most of what I want done myself and save about $400 in labor.Plus I get to enjoy doing it myself...
__________________
BIG BORE FAN
3rdgen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 15:37   #18
JustShoot-IT
GrudgingGlocker
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wandering to and fro w/in the USA
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen40 View Post
Well, I detail stripped my frame today.Watched a good "how to" video as I did it.Pretty simple,just more parts than my Glocks.Just got it back together.Seems to function fine.Will have to take it to the range to find out for sure.
I found a drop in beavertail,so I think I can do most of what I want done myself and save about $400 in labor.Plus I get to enjoy doing it myself...
Good job. My Wilson "drop in" was anything but, had to have a gunsmith fit it.

"Seems to function fine", the same gunsmith told me about shop test firing: make sure it is unloaded, cock it, drop a pencil (eraser first) down the barrel, with the gun pointing up (and head back!) pull the trigger - if everything is as it should be the pencil flies/fires out a ways.

Enjoy it, love my 1927 Sistema - chambers an empty cardridge!
JustShoot-IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 15:43   #19
JustShoot-IT
GrudgingGlocker
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wandering to and fro w/in the USA
Posts: 59
zdragon23c, agreed great work. Side question, who made your clip holder? I've been looking for something like that, small and easily concealed.
JustShoot-IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 15:58   #20
zdragon23c
s&w&me
 
zdragon23c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustShoot-IT View Post
zdragon23c, agreed great work. Side question, who made your clip holder? I've been looking for something like that, small and easily concealed.
Carl Collins
http://www.ccholsters.com/products.php
__________________
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"
A.Lincoln
zdragon23c is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 593
142 Members
451 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42