Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-30-2009, 18:47   #1
Jim S.

Questions about the Springfield Mil-spec

I have been wanting to get a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec but have been wondering about the titanium firing pin that they use to meet the California requirements. I believe they use a firing pin from a 38 super in the 45acp made from titanium to help meet the drop test for the state of California.
Can this firing pin be replaced with a "normal" firing pin?
Can you replace it with a firing pin from a 45acp?
I am imagining that the firing pin hole in the breech face is fit for the 38 super firing pin and one from a 45 probably wouldn't fit through the hole.
I just do not like this change from the norm just to satisfy the state of California.
Anyone know about this?
Old 12-30-2009, 18:49   #2
Glocks&Ducs

I don't know the detailed answers to your questions. I do know this. Buy the gun and shoot it. You will never know the difference. They are great, basic, no frills guns.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 19:42   #3
Jim S.

One more thing I forgot about.
Can the ILS be eliminated simply by replacing the mainspring housing and related components?
Old 12-30-2009, 20:24   #4
coal

SA uses a 9mm/38 super Ti firing pin. It can be replaced with a 9mm/38 super steel fp.

The ILS MSH can be replaced with another MSH. Fitting (i.e. filing MSH) may be needed, but likely not if it's a reputable part. You'll need the MSH guts as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|
|
(
/
) |
|
|
coal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 20:33   #5
Brian Brazier

I wouldnt worry about the firing pin, I have never heard of one breaking. I replaced my Mil Spec with this Mainspring Housing http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=127124 which includes everything you need, and should drop in with no fitting.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:30   #6
hikerpaddler

Send a message via AIM to hikerpaddler
Mine has one, and it has nothing to do with California, it's in every Loaded. Flawless. No need to replace. Enjoy.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:34   #7
Jim S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerpaddler View Post
Mine has one, and it has nothing to do with California, it's in every Loaded. Flawless. No need to replace. Enjoy.
Are you talking about the locking system or the firing pin?
The titanium firing pin is definately about California. The locking system is definately about some unnecessary added crap that a 1911 doesn't need.
I didn't care for the series 80 system that Colt came out with, even though I have a couple of them.
I don't like the idea of adding another unnecessary safety or a mutant firing pin that is unique to this one gun.
Other than that it is a fine weapon with a lot of potential.
Old 01-01-2010, 13:28   #8
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

They may use it in west cost bound MilSpecs to satisfy some gay Cali requirement, but they're included in all Loaded models, nothing to do with state requirements. It's an upgrade, not something to rush to undo.
Old 01-01-2010, 13:30   #9
MBG20

i thought the titanium firing pin was to eliminate they gun from firing if dropped?
MBG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 23:14   #10
silversport

it is...
Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:11   #11
hikerpaddler

Send a message via AIM to hikerpaddler
The titanium pin has nothing to do with safety, in inclusion or function. Does the land of fruits and nuts believe otherwise?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:39   #12
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerpaddler View Post
The titanium pin has nothing to do with safety, in inclusion or function. Does the land of fruits and nuts believe otherwise?
During testing, it was discovered that the titanium firing pin allowed the gun to pass the drop test. If a gun doesn't fire when it is dropped, that sounds like safety to me.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:56   #13
silversport

that's right...
Bill
Old 01-05-2010, 14:08   #14
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

I had no idea that 1911's would fire when dropped (unless their pin was titanium). Had I known that, I'd never have purchased one.
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 14:23   #15
The Pusherman
officer mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
I have been wanting to get a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec but have been wondering about the titanium firing pin that they use to meet the California requirements. I believe they use a firing pin from a 38 super in the 45acp made from titanium to help meet the drop test for the state of California.
Can this firing pin be replaced with a "normal" firing pin?
Can you replace it with a firing pin from a 45acp?
I am imagining that the firing pin hole in the breech face is fit for the 38 super firing pin and one from a 45 probably wouldn't fit through the hole.
I just do not like this change from the norm just to satisfy the state of California.
Anyone know about this?

don't replace it. all springer 1911's have a titanium FP, not just the Cali market ones. it's part of their drop safety (coupled with a heavy FP spring). works fine, and it's a safety. leave it alone, my friend
The Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 15:05   #16
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
would my incoming TRP have the same setup? im curious just for spare parts reasons. its easy if they are the same.

my milspec has been flawless and im not changing anything just for the sake being anti-california.
Old 01-05-2010, 15:13   #17
The Pusherman
officer mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
would my incoming TRP have the same setup? im curious just for spare parts reasons. its easy if they are the same.

my milspec has been flawless and im not changing anything just for the sake being anti-california.
yes, all springers have this system, including the trp
The Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 15:43   #18
Magus
Deo Vindice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
One more thing I forgot about.
Can the ILS be eliminated simply by replacing the mainspring housing and related components?
Yup, it sure can. It's a very easy swap out too, total cost will be around $50 to $60 for the MSH and assorted parts. I've done it several times now.

Some say replace the hammer strut while you're at it because supposedly the stock hammer strut is shorter to work in conjunction with the ILS. In my experience though that's been bogus info about the hammer struts, the stock ones work fine with the replacement MSH and parts. I went ahead and replaced my hammer strut on one of my Mil Specs anyway for something more durable just because I wanted to.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:28   #19
silversport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryobi View Post
I had no idea that 1911's would fire when dropped (unless their pin was titanium). Had I known that, I'd never have purchased one.
The titanium pin is Springfield's way to meet this...others use other systems...I imagine all current manufacturers have this covered in some way...Swarts, Series 80...I wouldn't let this be a concern...
Bill
Old 01-08-2010, 19:46   #20
Jim S.

It's not that I mind the titanium firing pin. That's not a big deal.
What I don't like is that they redesigned the gun to take a firing pin from a 38 super/9mm gun and put it on the 45acp. It was done to satisfy the drop test in California without adding a series 80 type of trigger block.
The lighter (titanium) and smaller firing pin does not have the mass to actually hit the primer hard enough to fire a round from a hammer down position when the hammer is hit such as in a dropped gun.
Unneeded as far as I'm concerned because the gun should be carried in the hammer back, thumb safety on (condition one) condition and it wouldn't be an issue.
The gun is now a 1911 only with a smaller hole in the breech face for the smaller firing pin. Making it a 1911, only different.
All to satisfy a state that prohibits most people from carrying the gun in the first place.
I know it makes no difference to how the gun shoots, and most people would not care or even be aware of this.
I am a 1911 purist. I think the 1911's are fine the way they were and I didn't care for the changes made to the series 80 guns either.
If you don't want to carry a 1911 in condition one then get another gun. Leave "our" gun alone because me and a bunch of other people like them the way they are, or should be.
I'm holding off and looking at other guns.