SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2010, 16:46   #1
Jon_R
Silver Membership

IDPA Legal Holster for Female Shooter

My wife would like to get into shooting IDPA and I am certainly going to support that decision. She has the typical female body structure with the waist smaller then hips. She wears her belt and pants at the waist and does not want to wear them at the hips. Does anyone have holster recommendations. We tried a Bladetech Drop and Offset but it is to much drop to meet the holster rules for IDPA even the rules for female and it still cants the pistol into her ribs and not vertical.

Any suggestions on a legal holster that can be worn at the waist line?

We also need to find her a pistol. The G17/19 the LOP is a little to long. She can barely reach the trigger. My 14 year Daughter the G17 fits her but she has longer fingers then the wife.

We might try a Gen 4 Glock when they are out to get the Slim Frame or a M&P with the small grip. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 17:10   #2
atbarr

What about the same holster, with the Stingray attachment?

A.T.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Old 01-02-2010, 17:24   #3
Jim Watson

I see no numbers in the "female" IDPA rules. All it says is

"Holsters for females are exempt from F criteria but may not cant the holster away from the body past 90 deg to the ground." Rule F is the part about belt tunnel gaps and thickness of back pieces over the belt. It seems to me that she can have whatever spacer is required to make the holster hang vertical.

"Female shooters are exempt from this test." (3/4" gap between body and gun.)

"Female shooters are exempt from this criterion." (Several items, including no drop loops, no drop in the holster itself, offset back, and no daylight gap.)

Not more generous requirements, EXEMPT. She can have whatever holster she needs to get normal positioning of the gun.

Unfortunately, I do not know a brand name to recommend.
Old 01-02-2010, 17:36   #4
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

John, as far as the gun goes, are you trying to stay within SSP guidelines? If not, your options are greater (1911, HiPower, XD, grip-reduced Glock, etc..).

For the record...for me, the M&P, even with the small grip, had a greater LOP than a comparable Glock. It was just uncomfortable enough for me that I sold it and bought another Glock.

If the DOH didn't work for her as far as vertical drop, not sure what to suggest. We have a Gunsite Ladies holster for a G19 that you're welcome to try, if you like. Comp-Tac used to make a rig similar to the DOH, and they will do custom work if you ask.

Glad she's interested in IDPA...I can't even get my wife to come out and watch!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
-Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes Brown v. United States, 1921
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 17:42   #5
Jon_R
Silver Membership

It is this one I think is the problem. Since I would be her SO and she only plans to shoot club level matches I don't think it will keep her from coming out but there has to be others solving the problem.

H. May not position the firearm where the breech face (autos)
or rear of the cylinder (revolvers) is below the center of the
belt. NO drop loops are permitted. Holsters for females may
position the breech face of a pistol or rear of the cylinder of a
revolver up to 1 below the center of the belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I see no numbers in the "female" IDPA rules. All it says is

"Holsters for females are exempt from F criteria but may not cant the holster away from the body past 90 deg to the ground." Rule F is the part about belt tunnel gaps and thickness of back pieces over the belt. It seems to me that she can have whatever spacer is required to make the holster hang vertical.

"Female shooters are exempt from this test." (3/4" gap between body and gun.)

"Female shooters are exempt from this criterion." (Several items, including no drop loops, no drop in the holster itself, offset back, and no daylight gap.)

Not more generous requirements, EXEMPT. She can have whatever holster she needs to get normal positioning of the gun.

Unfortunately, I do not know a brand name to recommend.
Old 01-02-2010, 17:50   #6
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Any division is fine at this point. Maybe not revolver yet but ESP would be fine. Not sure she is up for the PF required for CDP.

Thanks for the offer let me research some more. She and my daughter attended an Intro to IDPA Class this morning put on by our Match Director. They had a good time but he said the holster is not legal and the pistol is to big for her and she should make a trip to the gun store. The G17 did not fit her hand and is hurting accuracy since she can just get it with the very tip of her finger.

I have a M&P Full Size in .40 and .45 so I might have her try it with the small grip in .40 and if it works for her get one in 9mm or load her some special .40 that makes IDPA PF vs. my current load which is major for USPSA.

I will check out Comp-Tac. I use their belt holsters and M-Tac. I would see how they work for her but I am a lefty and she is one of the righties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
John, as far as the gun goes, are you trying to stay within SSP guidelines? If not, your options are greater (1911, HiPower, XD, grip-reduced Glock, etc..).

For the record...for me, the M&P, even with the small grip, had a greater LOP than a comparable Glock. It was just uncomfortable enough for me that I sold it and bought another Glock.

If the DOH didn't work for her as far as vertical drop, not sure what to suggest. We have a Gunsite Ladies holster for a G19 that you're welcome to try, if you like. Comp-Tac used to make a rig similar to the DOH, and they will do custom work if you ask.

Glad she's interested in IDPA...I can't even get my wife to come out and watch!
Old 01-02-2010, 18:40   #7
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
Any division is fine at this point. Maybe not revolver yet but ESP would be fine. Not sure she is up for the PF required for CDP.

Thanks for the offer let me research some more. She and my daughter attended an Intro to IDPA Class this morning put on by our Match Director. They had a good time but he said the holster is not legal and the pistol is to big for her and she should make a trip to the gun store. The G17 did not fit her hand and is hurting accuracy since she can just get it with the very tip of her finger.

I have a M&P Full Size in .40 and .45 so I might have her try it with the small grip in .40 and if it works for her get one in 9mm or load her some special .40 that makes IDPA PF vs. my current load which is major for USPSA.

I will check out Comp-Tac. I use their belt holsters and M-Tac. I would see how they work for her but I am a lefty and she is one of the righties.
Hope the M&P does the trick...LOP was too long for me, though.

9mm 1911 or BHP may be just what you're looking for for ESP...maybe a CZ in SA mode...

Comp-Tac doesn't list a Ladies rig any longer, but give them a call and tell them what you're looking for. I've had them 'tweak' a couple of rigs for me with out any issue at all.

Best of luck in the 'Quest'!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 01-02-2010, 19:08   #8
Jim Watson

An inch and a half is a lot of drop. I bet it would get her by.

Of course the shortest trigger reach in the game is a 1911 with short A1 trigger.
Old 01-02-2010, 19:36   #9
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
Hope the M&P does the trick...LOP was too long for me, though.

9mm 1911 or BHP may be just what you're looking for for ESP...maybe a CZ in SA mode...

Comp-Tac doesn't list a Ladies rig any longer, but give them a call and tell them what you're looking for. I've had them 'tweak' a couple of rigs for me with out any issue at all.

Best of luck in the 'Quest'!
I have been wanting a 1911 in 9 so I have a true ESP gun... Is there any difference in the LOP on a 1911 in .45 and one in 9? I have a couple in .45 she could see how it feels it they are the same. If not she would have to check at the gun shop.
Old 01-02-2010, 19:48   #10
Jim Watson

All calibers based on the 1911 have the same grip frame (Barring the dwarf Springfield EMP.) You can do a lot with grip thickness, mainspring housing, and trigger length, but the gun is really very friendly to small statured persons.

By the way, if you are a handloader, some 200 grain bullets at 650 - 700 fps will make a .45 a pretty good ESP. An occasional gratuitous reload, but the gun is soft to shoot and makes big holes in the target. I have some custom made 9 round magazines that fit The Box and save most of those extra reloads if I don't miss too much.
Old 01-02-2010, 19:54   #11
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
An inch and a half is a lot of drop. I bet it would get her by.

Of course the shortest trigger reach in the game is a 1911 with short A1 trigger.
http://www.blade-tech.com/DOH-Droppe...p-pr-1163.html

It is this holster and it is measuring 2" center of belt to beginning of chamber maybe a little more. She is using a 1.25" Wilderness belt. I think I will see about getting her a 1.5" 5 stitch maybe with the insert. The one she has now is a little big so she is having to pull it really tight. A wider belt would make her closer to the 1.5" requirement and give it a more rigid platform to draw from without having to make the belt so tight.
Old 01-02-2010, 20:00   #12
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
All calibers based on the 1911 have the same grip frame (Barring the dwarf Springfield EMP.) You can do a lot with grip thickness, mainspring housing, and trigger length, but the gun is really very friendly to small statured persons.

By the way, if you are a handloader, some 200 grain bullets at 650 - 700 fps will make a .45 a pretty good ESP. An occasional gratuitous reload, but the gun is soft to shoot and makes big holes in the target. I have some custom made 9 round magazines that fit The Box and save most of those extra reloads if I don't miss too much.
Thanks and I do hand load so I can make custom rounds for her. My 1911 .45 is probably her least favorite because of the front and back strap. I have the SA TRP and to her it is like grabbing a thorn bush. I don't know if you have felt one but they are very very rough but we can use that to determine the LOP issue on a 1911 platform and see if that would be an option.
Old 01-02-2010, 20:10   #13
Jim Watson

I have not worked with a Blade Tech. Is the drop not adjustable? Could she not put the belt width spacer shim they use on top of the belt in the loop to raise the holster a bit? Do you think the local club MD will notice or care?

I use Ready Tactical. You might contact Chris Patty at CPWSA and see how long it would take to have Chris Stewart make up a maximum drop IDPA Lady's rig.
http://www.cpwsa.com/ready_tactical.htm

The TRP has metal checkering doesn't it? I have a couple of guns with the checkering flattened for a less agressive grip.

But if she gets on with the shape and size, the simple thing to do would be to get her an uncheckered gun and apply tape if needed. There is a 3M rubberized traction tape that is not rough on the hands and is a lot cheaper than the stuff sold by gun dealers.
Old 01-02-2010, 21:04   #14
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
I have been wanting a 1911 in 9 so I have a true ESP gun... Is there any difference in the LOP on a 1911 in .45 and one in 9? I have a couple in .45 she could see how it feels it they are the same. If not she would have to check at the gun shop.
Jim's answered your questions quite well.

As he said, there's lots of things you can do with the 1911 platform to get the LOP you want....thin grips, different MSHs, short triggers, etc...

I'm not a huge fan of aggressive checkering, either. My two favorite 1911s are my Springfield Loaded (no checkering, I use skate tape on the front strap), and my Smith PD (LW Commander-sized), which has a serrated front strap. Both are in 45ACP.

I find myself shooting them in IDPA more these days because they fit my hands better, and I just flat shoot them better than the Glocks I've carried for 18 years! Love my HiPowers, too, but only shoot them at local matches....something happened to the mag-disconnects in all of them.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:37   #15
Jon_R
Silver Membership

You can adjust cant with the holster but not drop. I did not hear my wife correct (common problem) I thought she said the drop was off by 2 inches but since I measured it the drop is 2 inches and that is close enough. I could also use the adjustments for belt width to raise it some but since that holster is for a pistol that does not fit her well I will probably have to get something else anyways.

I was hoping I would hear from experienced female IDPA shooters that like the holster at the waist on what they use but I do appreciate your help. My daughter prefers the holster at the hip so that is much easier problem to solve.

I think the 1911 in 9 would be good for her for the matches but I think she still wants to carry a polymer double stack for CC so I will see if I can find one that will do both so she gets more trigger time with her carry pistol.

A gen 4 17 or 19 might be slim enough. I held a G22 Gen 4 last week and it does feel a little smaller without any grips added.

Quote:
I have not worked with a Blade Tech. Is the drop not adjustable? Could she not put the belt width spacer shim they use on top of the belt in the loop to raise the holster a bit? Do you think the local club MD will notice or care?

I use Ready Tactical. You might contact Chris Patty at CPWSA and see how long it would take to have Chris Stewart make up a maximum drop IDPA Lady's rig.
http://www.cpwsa.com/ready_tactical.htm

The TRP has metal checkering doesn't it? I have a couple of guns with the checkering flattened for a less agressive grip.

But if she gets on with the shape and size, the simple thing to do would be to get her an uncheckered gun and apply tape if needed. There is a 3M rubberized traction tape that is not rough on the hands and is a lot cheaper than the stuff sold by gun dealers.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:55   #16
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

While you're out shopping, take a look at the FNPs, as well. I fondled one recently when I was looking for a new SSP gun. Felt very nice in the hand. Only reason I didn't buy it was that I wanted a steel gun so I got the CZ instead.

Old 01-05-2010, 23:29   #17
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

For the holster and magazine carriers try giving Comp-Tac a call and ask for the "Diva" offset for IDPA.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:48   #18
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
For the holster and magazine carriers try giving Comp-Tac a call and ask for the "Diva" offset for IDPA.
That would be interesting. I am acumulating a lot of Comp-Tac holsters on my own. All of the left-handed M-Tac or Belt Holsters. Maybe my wife should get one with some offset for the right side.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:13   #19
HK Dan

Bladetech DOH would get my nod for a female in IDPA as well. She is also exempt from that rule, if I recall.

Dan
HK Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 17:10   #20
GRR

My wife uses the Ready Tactical drop and offset holster. Chris can tailor one to fit your wife. As the the pistol, check out the Springfield XD 9mm. I found the grip to be much smaller than the Glock (too small for me).
GRR is online now   Reply With Quote