SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-04-2010, 16:41   #1
cali92rs

Reloading for Accuracy - .308

Gentlemen,

I have a LCT which i have been using for a couple of years to reload for my pistols (45 acp, 454 Casull, 10mm).
I want to get into reloading for my .308 in which I am interested at long range paper punching and accuracy.
Question - which presses do you guys use? I am looking at the Forster Co-axial, but its a bit more pricey than the Hornady LnL, Lee, Lyman and RCBS single stage presses.
cali92rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 16:43   #2
hambone33

RCBS Rockchucker here .
Old 01-04-2010, 17:02   #3
tjpet

Pay for the Co-Ax and never look back. You'll be glad you did.

A segment on History about ammo for Marine sniper/target rifles had Co-Axs being used in the backround. Should tell you something.
tjpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 17:06   #4
Bultx1215

I just use my Lee Turret for .308. We are shooting 100yd three shot groups you can cover up with a .45 case with those loads. I figure that is good enough.
Bultx1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 17:12   #5
PBKing

Of the three....the Forster Co Ax but in that $$ range Check out the Redding T-7. Although you cant go wrong with the RC
I run a T-7.

Last edited by PBKing; 01-04-2010 at 17:21..
PBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 17:41   #6
0-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultx1215 View Post
I just use my Lee Turret for .308. We are shooting 100yd three shot groups you can cover up with a .45 case with those loads. I figure that is good enough.
When I use the LCT for 223, I get variations on the bullet depth. Have you ever experienced this. With my pistol loads I don't have a problem.
0-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 17:50   #7
Bultx1215

Once in a while I will get some variation. I always check the OAL of every round anyway, so if one is off, I fix it then and there. Most of the time its spot on. The last time I did .308's, I only had about four or five in 100 that were out a tad. Some of that was the bullet I believe. The SP's did it way more often than the FMJ's.
Old 01-04-2010, 17:56   #8
0-16

Thanks for the quick reply
0-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 18:02   #9
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali92rs View Post
Gentlemen,

I have a LCT which i have been using for a couple of years to reload for my pistols (45 acp, 454 Casull, 10mm).
I want to get into reloading for my .308 in which I am interested at long range paper punching and accuracy.
Question - which presses do you guys use? I am looking at the Forster Co-axial, but its a bit more pricey than the Hornady LnL, Lee, Lyman and RCBS single stage presses.
I use the rockchucker from RCBS. Not totally sure of your purpose for asking, and I may be misreading your intent, but I will offer this advice that you may already be aware of (if you are, then please disregard.) I think its safe to say that the press you use is one of the least important variables in the search for accuracy. I would look at dies, bullets, brass, combinations of bullets and powders, seating depth, scope or other sight, base and ring setups, brass preparation, as all being more important than the selection of a press. And I may have left out a few things-----but I think if you look at all this then fine accuracy can be achieved with a cheap Lee single stage press. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 01-04-2010, 18:34   #10
Rick from Kali

Forster Co-Ax

Quote:
Gentlemen,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZEas38vkKg
Rick from Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 18:39   #11
cali92rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Shooter View Post
I use the rockchucker from RCBS. Not totally sure of your purpose for asking, and I may be misreading your intent, but I will offer this advice that you may already be aware of (if you are, then please disregard.) I think its safe to say that the press you use is one of the least important variables in the search for accuracy. I would look at dies, bullets, brass, combinations of bullets and powders, seating depth, scope or other sight, base and ring setups, brass preparation, as all being more important than the selection of a press. And I may have left out a few things-----but I think if you look at all this then fine accuracy can be achieved with a cheap Lee single stage press. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Yes I do understand all that...I just wanted to eliminate one variable while I happen to be in the market for a press.

Thanks though for the tip, i do understand where you are coming from.
Old 01-04-2010, 18:59   #12
Rick from Kali

Quote:
Yes I do understand all that...I just wanted to eliminate one variable while I happen to be in the market for a press.

my suggestion to you is for now is to use your classic turret press and by a set of either Forster or Redding Bench rest die set and see what you can accomplish with your press and the die sets. if you are satisfied with the groups that you are getting with that combo you need go no farther. if not then the next step up in presses will be the Forster Co-Ax press with number1 being a arbor press and Wilson hand dies. HTH one important process i forgot to mention that is most important when loading for accuracy in rifle cartridges is Case-Prep, Neck Turning,Uniform Primer Pockets,De-Burring Flash Holes etc.
Rick

Last edited by Rick from Kali; 01-04-2010 at 19:06..
Rick from Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 19:24   #13
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member

Quote:

Absolutely, no problem----I am thinking myself of moving toward loading for "volume" in handgun loading. It sure takes a while to do all the steps on the rockchucker. I hope to get a Dillon 650 someday. And I think the Dillon boys are getting some good accuracy out of their setups to boot.
Old 01-04-2010, 21:04   #14
PatinAz

For those of you guys using the Lee CT, what are you using to throw powder? I have a LCT with just the standard set of 4 discs to throw set (pistol) volumes of powder.

Right now I'm using the press as a single/multi stage with a seperate RCBS Uniflow to throw powder for .223 & .308.

I love the LCT. I've thought about going blue, but just can't justify the extra $$$ to go progressive on rifle calibers, when I still have to trim and clean each primer pocket. If there's a good case activated powder measure for the LCT that's completely adjustable, I'll be content.

WORK HARDER-MILLIONS ON WELFARE DEPEND ON IT.
PatinAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 21:51   #15
Bultx1215

I use a RCBS Uniflow for all rifle powder drops. I mount it in the second position on the turret where the powder should be. But with the extra weight and the large shells on the rifle rounds, I manually rotate the turret. Can't remember if the .308 clears the turret, but the .30-06 definitely does NOT. I ended up running a lot of .30-06, .30-30 and .308 this year, so I just got into the habit of doing it manually. I even do it on my .223 now. So far, it has worked well for me.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:30   #16
Hoser
Mall Ninja

The Co-Ax is a good press but I found it to be as uncomfortable as the Redding Ultramag to use.

I finally settled on the Redding Big Boss. Being angles the rounds slide right in instead of having to go straight in from the front. Not a huge deal, but a minor irritant that wore on me.

As already stated, press manufacturer/design/model is the least important factor in accurate ammo.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:46   #17
unclebob

I have the RCBS Rock Chucker, but if I had too do it all over again I with out question would get the Forster Co-Ax.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-05-2010, 23:15   #18
sig357fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatinAz View Post
For those of you guys using the Lee CT, what are you using to throw powder? I have a LCT with just the standard set of 4 discs to throw set (pistol) volumes of powder.
PatinAz,

I load cast bullets in 308 Win and 303 Brit on my LCT using the rifle powder charge die with the disk measure.

I charge the case with what ever disk cavity is just under the weight I want then dump the charge into my scale pan and trickle up to the charge I want.

powder funnel the charge back into the case and seat the bullet, may be slow but it is consistant.

if you can't get enough powder with one cavity, there is a double disk kit avalible from Lee.

sig357fan
sig357fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:43   #19
Colorado4Wheel

If I owned a LCT I just couldn't resist the opportunity to work up some really good loads on that press. Just so you could outshoot people with expensive presses. That would be too much fun. If the press is truely holding you back you can always buy a more expensive setup later. Only suggestion I would have is to try the Lee Lock rings with the O-rings in place, finger tighten the die. Die basically floats over the toolhead. Work up your powder loads and see if that helps or hurts thing. Lee has some good ideas about this stuff and I would be very curious to see if it makes a difference one way or the other. Those are the kind of things I find interesting. If I was in your shoes I would have to try those things first before moving on to something new.
Old 01-06-2010, 14:02   #20
cali92rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
If I owned a LCT I just couldn't resist the opportunity to work up some really good loads on that press. Just so you could outshoot people with expensive presses. That would be too much fun. If the press is truely holding you back you can always buy a more expensive setup later. Only suggestion I would have is to try the Lee Lock rings with the O-rings in place, finger tighten the die. Die basically floats over the toolhead. Work up your powder loads and see if that helps or hurts thing. Lee has some good ideas about this stuff and I would be very curious to see if it makes a difference one way or the other. Those are the kind of things I find interesting. If I was in your shoes I would have to try those things first before moving on to something new.
Thanks for the advice...
Unfortunately, an avenue that i thought i had for $$$ has dried up (got engaged, planning a wedding, so it looks like I will be going with the LCT route for the forseeable future.

Will just get some good dies and case prep stuff (if i can even afford that) and see what she could do