Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:21   #1
Colorado4Wheel

42 inch high work area?

Anyone have any good ideas they care to share. I have been thinking of moving my press to a standing setup and would like something about that high for that purpose. I know I can get 36 inch high cabinets and use a strong mount. I am just looking for other ideas.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:29   #2
AlanG

Check w/ restaurant supply houses (there's one off of 6th Ave & I-225 in Aurora) as some of the work tables they have could be that height or at least have adjustable feet that you could always replace with a piece of all-thread and adjust to 42". The other option would be to either make/have made a custom bench/table.

...Thomas Jefferson
AlanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:42   #3
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

My current benches are 40 inches high which make them perfect for me to load either standing or sitting on a high padded breakfast bar type chair.

I don't use a strong mount on any of my presses since the bench height and construction design negate the need for it. They are pretty cool but I just don't need them.

Wait a minute... aren't you a contractor? What the hell are you doing asking about buying benches... go buy some materials and custom build your own. Good grief... people hire you to do stuff like that!

It ain't a dialysis machine... no one is gonna live or die if it isn't perfect... we'll just make fun of you.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:25   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I'd have to agree, this shouldn't be a difficult project for you. I'm pretty much a wood working/building idiot, and I built a bench off some easy plans I found on the internet(little pricey, but it was so simple for a retread like me). I'm sure someone w/ some sense for this sort of thing, could adapt them.

http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/DIY-PROJECT08.pdf
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:28   #5
Colorado4Wheel

Actually, I am looking for ideas of stuff I can make. I don't really want to make anything too fancy as I may very well change my mind later. I will probably laminate a top of some sort. I am curious about ideas for legs and shelving perhaps under the legs. I am feeling a little cheap right now as well.
Old 01-06-2010, 13:29   #6
Bob2223
Jack's buddy!

I found thick laminated table top that came from a school, sometimes the used furniture stores has similar stuff.
I used 2x4s for the frame then bolted it to the wall and anchored it to the concrete floor, it doesn't move. I made it 43 high for standing but have a adjustable bar stool that works for sitting.
Feeling cheap? I've seen your set up, just frame under it raise it up and get oak 1x6 or 8 or 10,,trim boards.

Bob
Back Yard Shooting Competition
Bob2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 13:32   #7
unclebob

Make a 2x6 base that the cabinets would sit on and attached too. Or any other 2x that well get you too the height you want Im sure I do not not need too tell you how too trim it. You can also do what I did for the top. I used 2x12 and 2x6 glued together and bolted together, than I screwed two sheets of MDF. The MDF that takes two men and a boy too pickup. On top of that I glued Formica on top and sides. I used butcher-block style. At one time I used white but the light shining on it would almost blind me. That well get you about 3 more.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-06-2010, 13:32   #8
PCJim

C4W, I built my main bench from 2x4s and (I think) 5/8" BC plywood, 2x4 legs, all assembled with 1/4" lagbolts. It's a full 8' long and I believe 18" deep, appx 38" off the floor. Exact measurements tonight. Top, and a single full length shelf, are plywood and are affixed with coarse thread sheetrock screws. Very simple construction for anyone half-proficient with a table saw. Plans were from scratch.

I tapped into an adjacent GFIC electric outlet using flex conduit and wired duplex outlets on the front of the bench as well as the light switch for the overhead flourescent light.

I took pics during frame construction and will see if I still have them tonight. If so, I'll post tonight.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 13:45   #9
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Actually, I am looking for ideas of stuff I can make. I don't really want to make anything too fancy as I may very well change my mind later. I will probably laminate a top of some sort. I am curious about ideas for legs and shelving perhaps under the legs. I am feeling a little cheap right now as well.
Okay, I used 4x4 for the legs, dado the legs I ran 2x6 for the front top than 2x4 on the sides and back for the top and bottom on the sides and back plywood. Also ran 2x4 from the top two bottoms also dado in. I also on use lag bolts too hold it all together. That way I could change things around and also where if need be I could take it all apart too move.
For the Shelves I used a sheet of plywood. On all of the uprights I used the metal strips for shelving and metal clips. That way I could change the height if need be. I made doors for the front. I used 1X12 Than stained inside and out, and put a durable coat on top of that. I do not remember what I used.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-06-2010, 13:56   #10
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Okay, I used 4x4 for the legs, dado the legs I ran 2x6 for the front top than 2x4 on the sides and back for the top and bottom on the sides and back plywood. Also ran 2x4 from the top two bottoms also dado in. I also on use lag bolts too hold it all together. That way I could change things around and also where if need be I could take it all apart too move.
For the Shelves I used a sheet of plywood. On all of the uprights I used the metal strips for shelving and metal clips. That way I could change the height if need be. I made doors for the front. I used 1X12 Than stained inside and out, and put a durable coat on top of that. I do not remember what I used.
Do you mind snapping a picture?
Old 01-06-2010, 14:59   #11
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Do you mind snapping a picture?
Only if you would like too buy me a camera. I well see if I can get my friend to take a picture. It might be a couple of days if he well do it.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-06-2010, 15:16   #12
Toml

This plan has been around for a while: http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com...ench_plans.pdf
Old 01-06-2010, 16:11   #13
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Only if you would like too buy me a camera. I well see if I can get my friend to take a picture. It might be a couple of days if he well do it.

WHAT! You mean a Dillon 650 doesn't come with a built in camera... I'm stunned, I thought Dillon machines made you dinner and cut the grass.

Huh, too bad. The LNL not only comes with a camera but they also send you a very nice looking young lady to actually take the pictures for you. That's what I no BS customer service.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 17:05   #14
Hoser
Mall Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
I thought Dillon machines made you dinner and cut the grass.
Mine do... Breakfast also.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 17:08   #15
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
WHAT! You mean a Dillon 650 doesn't come with a built in camera... I'm stunned, I thought Dillon machines made you dinner and cut the grass.

Huh, too bad. The LNL not only comes with a camera but they also send you a very nice looking young lady to actually take the pictures for you. That's what I no BS customer service.

Jack
Okay Jack you can wake up from your dream now. Take a couple more of those red pills and maybe you well fill better in the morning. Or should we send the little men in white coats too see you? If you ask them real nice maybe they well let you play with the siren.
GSSF Life Member

Last edited by unclebob; 01-06-2010 at 18:12..
unclebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 18:09   #16
dudel

I built my bench, so it's whatever height I wanted. I tend to reload from a bar stool. I'd have to go measure the bench height. When I was doing most of the loading on a Rock Chucker, I didn't want to be standing for hours. Haven't done an extended loading session on the 550b, so I'm not sure if sitting or standing will be the routine.

I'll check on the bench height though.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 20:00   #17
norton

I built my bench 37" tall. I generally load standing. Of course it depends on what type of press you use, and how tall you are. I use both a single stage, a Turret and a Progressive-one is green one is blue and one is grey.
Old 01-06-2010, 20:32   #18
PCJim

Here are some photos of my primary bench. Constructed of 2x4s and 5/8" plywood, assembled with 1/4" lag bolts & screws, and sheetrock screws. The bench is 96"L x 24"D x 36"H. The single shelf is the same size as the top, notched at the legs and is 15 1/2" off the ground.

Attachment 188299Attachment 188300Attachment 188301Attachment 188302Attachment 188303

Made from "scratch", one sheet of plywood and 5 or 6 2x4x8's, and lag bolts and screws of various lengths.

Last edited by PCJim; 04-07-2013 at 16:28..
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 22:29   #19
MoNsTeR

4x4s for legs, 2x4s everywhere else, 3/4" plywood top, very simple construction. I believe I built it 37" or so high, which works fine for me to load standing. Of course you can easily cut the legs, and all the other dimensions, to whatever length you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Reloading - Click for larger version  
MoNsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 22:40   #20
robin303
Helicopter Nut

Your in luck my friend. I'm a cabinet maker and I can design something for you off my CAD program. It can be simple or something that someone would die for. Heck you helped me out.