GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:44   #21
Bones507

Mine is 45 inches high with 3 shelves and i have the floor space also. Im tall so i wanted something that would be easier on the back, i used 2x4,s and 1/2 inch boards and not really much else. Its bolted to the wall and is sturdy, only took me like 2 hours to put together and im no carpenter by any means. If i get a chance i will take a few photos and post.
Bones507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:24   #22
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin303 View Post
Your in luck my friend. I'm a cabinet maker and I can design something for you off my CAD program. It can be simple or something that someone would die for. Heck you helped me out.
I use Autocad 2000. What are you using? Here is the thing. I look at all the 2X4 stuff and I just don't want it to look that "Garage Like". But at the same time I don't want to put a ton of money into it either.

Reloading

That is what I have now. I can get 30 inch wide by 36 tall cabinets and raise them off the ground to get my 42 inch height. Thats easy. Each Cabinet would cost $150. Toe kick a little more becasue it's going to need to be about 6 inch's high. So for $300 I get two cabinets that match. Spread them out 30" and connect them with some adjustable shelving. It would be 90" wide with a cabinet on each end open in the middle. Then it would match. Add a little to the 300 to make the top. $400 at the most. So thats my upper end. But, if i can come up with something appealing that will be more "wife friendly" then bare wood that is less then $300 it would make sence. I just can't wrap my head around a plan that looks decent but wouldn't cost a lot more then what I can do with some basic Aristocraft cabinets and a cheap top. I was thinking of building a 2X2 frame (much like peoples 2X4/4X4 stuff) and then finish the outside with some 1X3 pine. So it would end up plenty strong once it's glued and nailed to eachother. I need to price some material. This would go right next to the other setup so I want it to look decent.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:23   #23
PCJim

Steve, where is your additional bench going to be located? There doesn't look like there's any room next to your current setup, or is that to be replaced? I completely understand your desire to have the finished product meet the necessary "approvals" - life could be a real b**** if it doesn't "pass". My setup is in the garage (she always says it's my garage) and admittedly would NOT work in your circumstance.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 15:51   #24
robin303
Helicopter Nut

Howdy Steve, I see two ways to do it. You can raise the top or the bottom. I would raise the top where you can incorporate drawer space using the KV slides. Do you have a table saw. You can get a Formica top with a 6” backsplash at 8’ and then cut. If you get unpainted cabinets in which likely will be paint and stain grade birch you can use Maple for your drawer fronts if you stain or you can get 4x8 sheet of birch plywood for about $35 at Homer. The only thing that I see is I would double the counter top with in the knee space area because it would be a little springy. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Old 01-07-2010, 15:59   #25
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
Steve, where is your additional bench going to be located? There doesn't look like there's any room next to your current setup, or is that to be replaced? I completely understand your desire to have the finished product meet the necessary "approvals" - life could be a real b**** if it doesn't "pass". My setup is in the garage (she always says it's my garage) and admittedly would NOT work in your circumstance.

That current setup sits in a popout in my foundation wall. Just to the left of it is another wall about 20' long.

Robin303.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 01-07-2010, 17:29   #26
WiskyT
Malcontent

Mine looks like some amature made it with a handsaw, some 2x6, and sheetrock screws. It looks very "industrial" if it were in a converted loft. That it came out level, is one of my greatest achievements.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 17:36   #27
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Mine looks like some amature made it with a handsaw, some 2x6, and sheetrock screws. It looks very "industrial" if it were in a converted loft. That it came out level, is one of my greatest achievements.

Level? Damn... and I spent all that money on custom 'square' bullet moulds. Wish I'd joined this forum earlier.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 18:14   #28
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Level? Damn... and I spent all that money on custom 'square' bullet moulds. Wish I'd joined this forum earlier.

Jack
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-07-2010, 19:12   #29
unclebob

Just got off the phone with my friend and he well come over between now and Sunday and take some pictures of my reloading table. Unless something should happen between now and then.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-07-2010, 19:13   #30
RustyFN

Steve just a thought, what about setting the cabinets on a base and raising up the whole set up.
Old 01-07-2010, 19:41   #31
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:

My current benches are 40 inches high which make them perfect for me to load either standing or sitting on a high padded breakfast bar type chair.

I don't use a strong mount on any of my presses since the bench height and construction design negate the need for it. They are pretty cool but I just don't need them.

Wait a minute... aren't you a contractor? What the hell are you doing asking about buying benches... go buy some materials and custom build your own. Good grief... people hire you to do stuff like that!

It ain't a dialysis machine... no one is gonna live or die if it isn't perfect... we'll just make fun of you.
Jack
Exactly... I built a custom home 7 years ago and told the architect to leave the 5'' x 21' space below front porch open. These are 10" thick, steel reinforced, concrete foundation walls.

This is in the early phase of my portion of the project.

Reloading

This is the (standing height) gunsmithing bench at 44", though it could be used as a reloading center.

Reloading

Reloading

Opposing wall at the other end. Bench height is 30-1/2".
Reloading

Reloading

Last edited by Cobra64; 01-07-2010 at 19:43..
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 19:49   #32
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I detect 'Free Bullets' from Hornady... and where the hell did you get all those primers. HOARDER, HOARDER!!!

Jack

Old 01-07-2010, 19:59   #33
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
I detect 'Free Bullets' from Hornady... and where the hell did you get all those primers. HOARDER, HOARDER!!!

Jack
About a year ago, I only needed 5,000 each of SP & LP. At the time, the prices were still at arond $22.50, but supply was spotty, so I ordered 5,000 SP and 5,000 LP from three different suppliers who had them on backorder along with a variety of powder. About a month after I ordered, all three suppliers started shipping at around the same time, so I have a "hoarded" three year supply.

I forgot... yea, those are Hornady .451" 185 gr XTP that were bonused with the press. That stuff's really 'spensive in loaded form.

Last edited by Cobra64; 01-07-2010 at 20:01..
Old 01-07-2010, 20:16   #34
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Actually, I am looking for ideas of stuff I can make. I don't really want to make anything too fancy as I may very well change my mind later. I will probably laminate a top of some sort. I am curious about ideas for legs and shelving perhaps under the legs. I am feeling a little cheap right now as well.
On the loading bench, I used 3 sections of double laminated 2" x 6" lumber, with 1" plywood on top, and finished with 1/8" ABS.

Reloading

Reloading

Reloading

You'll love this... my LnL with temporary restraint preventing the powder thrower from "unscrewing."

Reloading

Old 01-07-2010, 20:22   #35
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I assume you've ordered a shim by now... I'm sure you need that rubber band to help hold your socks up.

Jack

Old 01-07-2010, 20:31   #36
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
I assume you've ordered a shim by now... I'm sure you need that rubber band to help hold your socks up.

Jack
Haven't order the shim yet, Jack. That wil be included on the spare small-parts list that I'm working on.

As for the socks, no issue...

Reloading

Here's to you Jack... Cheers!

Reloading

Old 01-07-2010, 20:51   #37
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post

Here's to you Jack... Cheers!

Reloading

Thank you for the gracious toast kind sir... sipping a little 12 old Dewars whilt watching the BCS game.

Jack

Old 01-08-2010, 09:02   #38
Colorado4Wheel

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 01-08-2010, 12:09   #39
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Reloading

Steve, I knew you'd like that shot.