Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-16-2010, 15:40   #1
Petrie

Sell or upgrade this rifle?

I have a DPMS panther classic. It's an A2 style rifle. I bought it to shoot at military style rifle shooting contests. So, it had to look like a standard M-16 rifle. Gun did pretty well shooting 300 yd silhouettes, so I have no complaints. But after having it for a while I'd rather have a flat-top reciever, a telescoping stock and maybe a 16" barrel. So, I'm thinking I should just sell this gun and get a different one. Curious what you guys think. I paid $950 out the door for this gun during the recent AR buying craze. (way too much, I know). I was thinking I could get $800 for it at a Gun show. Wondered what you guys thought of that price. Gun is like new. I thought about buying a new upper and a collapseable stock, but not sure if that makes sense.

Black Rifle Forum
Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 15:50   #2
thisaway

Buying the collapsible stock/tube/buffer/spring set and a 16-inch upper would be much cheaper than buying a new rifle.

DSArms offers their "ZM4" 16-inch A3 upper for $275 without B/C/CH www.dsarms.com/

Brownell's offers a complete collapsible stock kit for $80 part# 080-000-545EE

This way you would still have your original parts and could swap back-and-forth if needed.
Wheelhouse #452, 10 Ring#5744, Mil Surp & MBR# 3006, ad nauseam

"By and large, the most successful riflemen were the over-mountain men of Tennessee." Richard B. LaCrosse, Jr., The Frontier Rifleman

"....the man with the rifle knows." USA AMU

Last edited by thisaway; 01-16-2010 at 16:08.. Reason: added info
thisaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 15:55   #3
mitchshrader
Deceased

yeah, what happens is you eventually buy another lower..so, what's wrong with that? Do it..
Old 01-16-2010, 16:27   #4
Flinter
Hornady Fan

What is you intended use for this? Range toy, self protection or both? Your answer will determine my advise.
Old 01-16-2010, 16:37   #5
ghostman1960
Static Nomad

Black Rifle Forum
ghostman1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 17:04   #6
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

I would upgrade it. This is a hard time to sell guns. Lots out there and the prices are low. It would be cheaper to bring your current rifle up to snuff and sell off the unwanted parts verse selling it at a loss and buying a new gun.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 17:11   #7
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Just keep it and buy another new AR15.

If that is not a solution, I think I would try to sell it and see how that goes first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 00:41   #8
Petrie

Another problem I have with the gun is I got it with the heavy barrel. My gun is pretty heavy. From what I've read I can get an upper and just put it on my lower, but what's the best way to do that? How do I go about getting a new upper? Can I just order an upper from Bushmaster, have it sent to my FFL, put it on my lower and be done with it? What I'd like to get is an upper with a lighter 16 inch, chrome-lined barrel with a flat top reciever.
Old 01-17-2010, 00:53   #9
thisaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
From what I've read I can get an upper and just put it on my lower, but what's the best way to do that? How do I go about getting a new upper? Can I just order an upper from Bushmaster, have it sent to my FFL, put it on my lower and be done with it?
Yes, you can simply put a new upper on your lower. You can simply order an upper and it will be delivered to your door. You do not have to have an upper sent to an FFL.
Wheelhouse #452, 10 Ring#5744, Mil Surp & MBR# 3006, ad nauseam

"By and large, the most successful riflemen were the over-mountain men of Tennessee." Richard B. LaCrosse, Jr., The Frontier Rifleman

"....the man with the rifle knows." USA AMU
thisaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:01   #10
Petrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaway View Post
Yes, you can simply put a new upper on your lower. You can simply order an upper and it will be delivered to your door. You do not have to have an upper sent to an FFL.
Really? I can get an upper with a bolt assembly too without going through an FFL? That would be awesome. Do I have to do any amature gunsmithing or will it just snap on to my lower with no worries?
Old 01-17-2010, 01:20   #11
JTLIII

Quote:
Really? I can get an upper with a bolt assembly too without going through an FFL? That would be awesome. Do I have to do any amature gunsmithing or will it just snap on to my lower with no worries?
all you have to do is pull the pins out the hold the upper to the lower, and replace. Takes like 5 seconds.
JTLIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:34   #12
Flinter
Hornady Fan

You can get a stripped flat top upper reciever and just swap that out. That runs in the 80-100 range usually. Yes there will be some light smithing required, but it is almost as easy as putting together Legos.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:59   #13
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Another problem I have with the gun is I got it with the heavy barrel. My gun is pretty heavy.
Keavy barrels are more accurate and last longer. the dissipate heat better. If it really bothers you lift weights once in a while or just practice holding you gun on target for periods of time.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:33   #14
internal

Since you paid a bit more then the current going rate I would hold onto it and at least buy an upper that suits you.

If anything just sell the upper, if it was a flat top 20" I would say hold onto it for sure but since its an A2 and its stuck with irons, I would be a bit on the fence about keeping it.

One thing is for sure, the 20" Hbar's are some of the best shooting uppers when iron sights are being used.
internal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:22   #15
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
Keavy barrels are more accurate and last longer. the dissipate heat better. If it really bothers you lift weights once in a while or just practice holding you gun on target for periods of time.
Heavy barrelsare more accurate due to their larger diameter, thus stiffer.
Barrel life will not be effected by the weight of the barrel, with NORMAL shooting.
The DO NOT dissipate heat better, they do take longer to heat up because
of the additional material. Also keep in mind, when a heavy barrel does get hot
it take a great deal longer to cool down.

Over the years, I've seen very little reason to go with a heavy barrel,
unless it's a varmint weapon.
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:52   #16
hottnucks

never sell guns

Keep that one and get another one.

That one will be your KISS rifle and the other one will be your tactiCOOL rifle.

KISS=KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

Last edited by hottnucks; 01-17-2010 at 11:57..
hottnucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 14:44   #17
EKUJustice

Buds gun shop had Double Stars 16 inch flat top collapsible stock for like 650. I found them on their police supply shop
EKUJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 17:13   #18
Petrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
The DPMS Panther classic weights 9lbs empty. With a lighter shorter barrel I could knock that down to around 7lbs or so. I use to power lift so I don't think I need to lift weights "once in a while".
Old 01-17-2010, 20:23   #19
coq
Raging Member

I'd keep it and get the carbine one when you can. After you play around with your carbine for a few months you're going to miss the A2 HBar. You should definitely have both.
coq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 21:33   #20
Flinter
Hornady Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coq View Post
I'd keep it and get the carbine one when you can. After you play around with your carbine for a few months you're going to miss the A2 HBar. You should definitely have both.
I sure don't miss the M16A2.