Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2010, 16:23   #1
d62_4life

problem with 40 s&w reloads

ok i have read that their seems to be alot of problems reloading 40 S&W and shooting it out of a G23? I want to get started in reloading but am a little frightened that it might ruin my gun. Is their a certain reason that reloading .40 for a G23 is worse? Can you still reload it? Are most issues caused by stupidity? Thank you in advance any info will be greatly apreciated

D.Lo
d62_4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 16:34   #2
LEAD

You shouldnt shoor lead, unjacketed rounds in your factory glock barrel, this is because the polygonol rifling is more suseptible to leading than barrels with standard rifling (storm lake, bar-sto, lone wolf).

The reason that reloading for a g23 may be more risky is because of the previously stated fact and also that the chamber support for older glocks in 40 cal wasn't quite what it is today, which is still a little less supported than other competitors. Although , say if you have a 3rd gen 23, I wouldn't sweat it. This loose chmaber also sometimes results in spent casings being a little swollen at the end near the primer, this makes reusing brass a bit more complicated.

Most issues that relate to safety of you and the gun are caused by stupidity. If you want to shoot lead out of your 23, get an aftermarket barrel with standard rifling, if you pay attention when adding powder.

In short reloading for a g23 requires only a bit more caution than anyother gun, in that the rifling is differnt, this wont effect you if you load FMJS or JHPs. Also if your brass gets a potbelly, or out of shape, you have a little more work to do.
LEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 16:36   #3
Jon_R
Silver Membership

I don't really know the stories but I have 2-3K of my reloads through my G23 without any issues.

I load 165Gr FMJ Montana Gold over 5.2 Gr Win 231. Makes 165 PF for USPSA and more then enough for IDPA. Stick with plated and not exposed lead or you will need to get a non glock barrel.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 16:40   #4
fyrecrotch

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=reloading+.40+glock+bulge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD View Post
get an aftermarket barrel with standard rifling
good insurance
Old 01-23-2010, 17:23   #5
d62_4life

thank you everyone so far . . . i dont plan to use lead since the overall advice is dont use it
d62_4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 18:23   #6
shotgunred
reloading nut

Mostly the only people who have prolbems with the 40 are people who load to hot or to fast.
Stay in the normal velocity of the 40 and have fun. If you want super fast bullets shoot the 357 sig.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 20:30   #7
WiskyT
Malcontent

I must be Einstien smart. I have been loading 40SW with lead bullets for over a decade and never had a problem. I guess if you are just of average intelligence, you should stay away from loading 40SW.

My favorite urban legend is that polygonal barrels can't shoot lead. All of those 500SW guys shooting lead bullets through their polygonal barrels must be wrong to do it. Get yourslef an aftermarket barrel and then you can find out what a joy they are to deal with. All of these garage companies convinced everyone that Glock doesn't know how to make a 40SW barrel, but they do. So they sell everyone a 39SW barrel and then the buyers have to start countless threads about how they can't get 40SW ammo to fit in them. So they buy a 39SW FCD, a 39SW EGW U die, and a Redding 39SW push through die until they can load 39SW ammo to fit it...

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 22:11   #8
Geezer1

The reason that reloading for a g23 may be more risky is because of the previously stated fact and also that the chamber support for older glocks in 40 cal wasn't quite what it is today, which is still a little less supported than other competitors.

Mine is a Gen 3 RTF2. I am interested on the comment on "older Glocks". How old is that please. Gen 1 or 2.

I just purchased a G22 40 and at the conclusion of the sale I was advised not to shoot reloads or lead. Kinda took the wind out of my sales. However, I am the dumb one. I should have educated myself on the caliber/weapon prior to purchase. I just heard so much good about Glocks and the deal was attractive so I moved.

Having said all that, I have fired my gun a few times and the more I handle it the better I like it. I'll stick with my 40 and having reloaded centerfire rifles and wheel guns I'll follow the specs if I choose to reload. Great gun!!! Lools like a G19 appears to be on the radar.
Geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 23:36   #9
umrek
NRA Member

I agree with WiskyT, urban legend caused by fear and the need to sell after market parts. I've put thousands and thousands of lead reloads through many polygonal barrels, including a glock 23 and 27, with ZERO problems. My advice would be: 1.) Don't load near the max, 2) Inspect your brass carefully before reusing it and throw out anything questionable (it's cheap insurance), and 3) Clean your barrel after every shooting session. Do that and you won't have any problems because of lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I must be Einstien smart. I have been loading 40SW with lead bullets for over a decade and never had a problem. I guess if you are just of average intelligence, you should stay away from loading 40SW.

My favorite urban legend is that polygonal barrels can't shoot lead. All of those 500SW guys shooting lead bullets through their polygonal barrels must be wrong to do it. Get yourslef an aftermarket barrel and then you can find out what a joy they are to deal with. All of these garage companies convinced everyone that Glock doesn't know how to make a 40SW barrel, but they do. So they sell everyone a 39SW barrel and then the buyers have to start countless threads about how they can't get 40SW ammo to fit in them. So they buy a 39SW FCD, a 39SW EGW U die, and a Redding 39SW push through die until they can load 39SW ammo to fit it...
Old 01-24-2010, 05:14   #10
sourdough44

I also don't have a problem with lead & stock barrels. I keep things clean. I have a Gen III Glock 22 & 23. I carefully compared chamber support with my H&K and it was just as good. I agree on the modest level loading for the 40 S&W. I load in the lower/mid range & have never had a problem. I also want reliable cycling, which I get. Most of my 40 reloads have been with H Universal, but I may try some others next time.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:27   #11
98LS-WON

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrecrotch View Post

Funniest post I've seen in a while.
98LS-WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:57   #12
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98LS-WON View Post

Funniest post I've seen in a while.
Wow, no kidding. I thought it was just going to be another thread somewhere about how Dean Spier and Marco say my gun is going to blow up. I clicked on it after you brought attention to it and it is pretty funny. I never knew about the google thing either.

FWIW, my Glock 27 was made in '96 and I have run full power loads through it for years with 180lfp and Bullseye at 925fps. What I have found is that a 10% less than max load of Unique gets me the same velocity. A 10% reduction in powder yields a 20% reduction in pressure, which can only be a good thing. So by using unique I get duplication of factory 180 ball with a significant reduction in pressure. I'm sure other powders in the same burn rate range as Unique would yield similar results and that would be my recomendation.

Get Lyman data for lead bullets. Find a good lead bullet that matches up with their data. Pick a powder that apporximates Unique and is easy for you to get. Use the start load and don't worry about it anymore than you would any other caliber. That means be careful, don't fail to index your 550, and you'll be just fine.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:25   #13
KB2MBC
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrecrotch View Post
That's pretty good!
KB2MBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:28   #14
KB2MBC
NRA Life Member

For peace of mind, I got myself the Redding push-thru die for the .40S&W. It added an extra step in the reloading process but that didn't bother me. I only wished it was carbide so I didn't have to lube the case.
KB2MBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:48   #15
Faulkner
Patriot

I loaded over 5,000 rounds on my Dillon 550 that have been fired through my G23 and G27 no problems at all. I only load jacketed bullets and I don't load them hot. If I wanted a 10mm I'd buy a 10mm.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:44   #16
shotgunred
reloading nut

When the 23's first came out there was a issue. it was a perfect storm type of thing. the barrels had less support. Some of the brass was to thin and people were loading to hot and fast. People were tring to get 124 grain velocity out of 180 grain bullets. Heck at one time AA changed the max load out of AA#5 twice in a month.

Chose a good powder for the 40 and keep you pressures in the normal range and you wont have any issues. Start with Hodgdon HP-38 for mouse farts and end with longshot for high speed rounds.

try one of these. Listed by burn rate.

Hodgdon HP-38
Winchester 231
Alliant 20/28
Alliant Unique
Hodgdon UNIVERSAL
Alliant Power Pistol
Vihtavouri N330
Alliant Herco
Winchester WSF
Vihtavouri N340
IMR, Co Hi-Skor 800-X
IMR, Co SR4756
Accurate Arms No. 5
Hodgdon HS-6
Vihtavouri 3N37
Vihtavouri N350
Hodgdon HS-7
Vihtavouri 3N38
Alliant Blue Dot
Accurate Arms No. 7
Hodgdon LONGSHOT
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 13:04   #17
Jon_R
Silver Membership

I am not sure who advised you on not shooting reloads but every gun manual I have ever seen says not to shoot reloads. It is standard to say not to do it but obviously a lot of people do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer1 View Post
I just purchased a G22 40 and at the conclusion of the sale I was advised not to shoot reloads or lead. Kinda took the wind out of my sales. However, I am the dumb one. I should have educated myself on the caliber/weapon prior to purchase. I just heard so much good about Glocks and the deal was attractive so I moved.

Having said all that, I have fired my gun a few times and the more I handle it the better I like it. I'll stick with my 40 and having reloaded centerfire rifles and wheel guns I'll follow the specs if I choose to reload. Great gun!!! Lools like a G19 appears to be on the radar.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 17:10   #18
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
When the 23's first came out there was a issue. it was a perfect storm type of thing. the barrels had less support. Some of the brass was to thin and people were loading to hot and fast. People were tring to get 124 grain velocity out of 180 grain bullets. Heck at one time AA changed the max load out of AA#5 twice in a month.

Chose a good powder for the 40 and keep you pressures in the normal range and you wont have any issues. Start with Hodgdon HP-38 for mouse farts and end with longshot for high speed rounds.

try one of these. Listed by burn rate.

Hodgdon HP-38
Winchester 231
Alliant 20/28
Alliant Unique
Hodgdon UNIVERSAL
Alliant Power Pistol
Vihtavouri N330
Alliant Herco
Winchester WSF
Vihtavouri N340
IMR, Co Hi-Skor 800-X
IMR, Co SR4756
Accurate Arms No. 5
Hodgdon HS-6
Vihtavouri 3N37
Vihtavouri N350
Hodgdon HS-7
Vihtavouri 3N38
Alliant Blue Dot
Accurate Arms No. 7
Hodgdon LONGSHOT
No love for TiteGroup?
Old 01-24-2010, 18:02   #19
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
Heck at one time AA changed the max load out of AA#5 twice in a month.
They did more than that:

Reloading
Old 01-24-2010, 19:39   #20
Geezer1

When I got my G22 home I started to wonder if I should obtain a match grade aftermarket barrel. My thoughts were full round support and increased accuracy. I wrote a well known barrel manufacture and their response is below. I found it very interesting/satisfying they were candid and did not simply promote a purchase.

QUOTE: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
As long as you use good quality ammunition you should have no problem with this firearm. Like them or not they are reliable and shoot no less accurately than any other factory made firearm. Glock has manufactured tens of thousands of these models and have suffered no more failures than any other company out there. I would only replace the barrel if you find it's current accuracy insufficient but spend some time on the range shooting it before you decide on anything. UNQUOTE:

Geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote