Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2010, 20:36   #1
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Mossberg Pumps (500's)- Do ALL their pumps rattle?

LSS, came close to buying a Mossberg 500 today at Dick's because this forum seems to RAVE about Mossberg..

The young man in the gun cage had a very good point and showed and proved it.... ALL the Mossberg pump shotguns they had rattled/shaked ...the "handle" part you would hold onto to "pump" ... *ALL* would shake, rattle, and roll when handled... he said that's why he bought a Remington 870. I mean, I was ready to buy one, the price was right and the selection was plentiful, but he dutifully ( and correctly, it did seem) that ALL the Mossberg's rattled/shaked whereas all the Remington's were solid as a rock/stable.

Now the reason I post this is because I don't know ***** about ***** so I'm hoping for an explanation , hopefully it has nothing to do with anything.

(What I'm REALLY hoping for is someone to show me the autoloading Mossberg with the stock, pistol grip, etc. and how much/where to buy, cause THAT Thing seems to be the bomb...)...

Otherwise I'm thinking next weekend I'm going with the Remington 11-87... please make me smart here. I wanted a Remington, knowing little, this board made me want a Mossberg, but today I was swayed back. What do I want to do?

And what is the deal with the rattle/shaking of the Mossberg?

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 21:49   #2
k594

i have a mossberg 500 it rattles as well, id go with the rem 870 ... just my 2 cents
k594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 22:04   #3
Puppy

It is really a non-issue.

I own Mossberg 500 & 590A1 & Remington 870, if I had to choose one for an emergency, life or death sort of situation I wouldn't hesitate to reach for either brand, however I do tend to prefer my Mossbergs a little more due to their better ergonomics.
Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 22:07   #4
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k594 View Post
i have a mossberg 500 it rattles as well, id go with the rem 870 ... just my 2 cents
Can I interpret that as you'd rather have a Rem yourself?

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 22:11   #5
k594

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyDoo View Post
Can I interpret that as you'd rather have a Rem yourself?
i own a moss 500 as well as a remington 870.

the 870 is my fav of the two
k594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 22:47   #6
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

I own a Mossberg 500a "rattle trap". Yeah it's sort of a sloppy pig but it is a great gun for the money. If you want a better fit and finish you may want to go with the 870.

I will pick up an 870 one day. I could care less about the rattle it's just the controls on the Mossberg don't jive well with the Spec Ops stock I put on it. The most important thing is the placement of the controls.

Maybe check out a Benelli Super Nova Tactical? They look hella sweet.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:37   #7
GTSteve03

I have a 590A1 and it doesn't rattle. Maybe the 500s have a little looser tolerances?
GTSteve03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 13:18   #8
mixflip

Lots of guns build for reliability vs accuracy will rattle due to slightly looser tolerances. The looser tolerances provide easier action especially in dirty environments. That being said...shotguns are not known for finesse. They are devastating and brutal meat tenderizers so a little rattle is fine with me.

Whats the big deal about a rattle if you are gonna hear a loud and intimidating "shuck - shuck" anyways?
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 13:26   #9
Jake514

Send a message via Yahoo to Jake514
27 years ago I paid $100 for a new Mossberg 500. It has thousands of rounds through it and has always rattled, but never quit or jammed. Not a big deal IMHO.
Jake514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 13:54   #10
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Lots of guns build for reliability vs accuracy will rattle due to slightly looser tolerances. The looser tolerances provide easier action especially in dirty environments. That being said...shotguns are not known for finesse. They are devastating and brutal meat tenderizers so a little rattle is fine with me.

Whats the big deal about a rattle if you are gonna hear a loud and intimidating "shuck - shuck" anyways?
The parts that rattle have little to do with the Mossberg 500's accuracy?
Old 01-24-2010, 14:39   #11
ranger56528

I bought Both my 20 and 12 500's in late 70's and there still going strong,never let me down,bought them both at the Holiday Gas Station in town and they have been a rattlin ever since..
Old 01-24-2010, 15:04   #12
das9mm26

Having owned both the Moss 500A and the Rem 870P, I can safely say
I would trust my life - and the lives of my loved ones - as readily with the 500 as the 870.....and for an MSRP of a couple hundred $$ LESS.....
My opinion....Buy a Moss 500A....use the savings to stock up on #4 or 00 buckshot.....!
das9mm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 16:49   #13
nnmnu1

I like how everyone says its a great gun but cant explain why it rattles.
nnmnu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 18:48   #14
mixflip

They rattle because the 2 action bars have slightly more space that they sit in. Well, at least mine do anyway?
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 22:20   #15
Ebb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnmnu1 View Post
I like how everyone says its a great gun but cant explain why it rattles.

Uh yes they did.

The Mossberg is built to looser tolerances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip

Old 01-24-2010, 22:29   #16
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

It's a moving part. Most pump guns rattle, or eventually do.

I've owned 870s, a 500 and a Nova SP. All rattled a bit in various places.

I've shot and carried other 870s, 590s, etc.

I prefer the 870 over all of them, but i'll use any of them cheerfully whether they rattle or not.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:02   #17
CAcop

I had a 500 once and I do have a 590A1. The 500 rattled a bit, nothing to worry about, the 590A1 does not rettle much at all. In fact the 590A1 is a little tight if you ask me.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:56   #18
KaosV

Like many others, I have a Mossberg 500 (also rattles) and a Remington 870 (doesn't rattle). Both are very good shotguns, but I prefer the 870. However, if I had to grab one in a split second, I'd be happy with either. It's all really personal preference.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:33   #19
sambeaux2249

*shrugs* I think all my shotguns rattle to some degree if you shake them hard enough...

My Benelli Nova and Maverick 88 sure do. The Chinese knockoffs of the 870's seem to rattle the least. My Mossberg 590 is about the same, little or no rattle. My 870 with wood stocks rattles more than the ones with synthetic stocks...

If I remember right, the Remingtons have some spring tension on the action bars, where the Mossbergs do not?

Regardless, the noise from the forend rattling is less noticeable than my sling swivels rattling and FAR less noisy than actually operating the shotgun.

Sam
Old 01-25-2010, 07:08   #20
vafish

I have 3 Mossberg 500's and 1 Remington 870.

The 2 newer Mossberg's have very little rattle to the fore end. The older one the fore end rattles around the mag tube quite a bit. I bought it used and have no idea how many rounds have been fired through it. It was fairly abused looking when I got it. After some sand blasting and Duracoat it looks great.

The 870 rattles a little bit as well. I've had it since the mid 1980's and it has been shot quite a bit.

If the fore end rattle bothers you then get the 870, but it really has no effect whatsoever on the function of the 500. The 870 will eventually start to rattle a bit too on the fore end.

The rattle on the 500 is mostly due to the design of the action bars and the amount of space between the fore end tube and the magazine tube. The action bars on the 500 are separate pieces pinned to the fore end tube and can move independently. This helps eliminate binding in the action of the fore end is twisted. The Remington 870 action bars are welded to the fore end tube and do not move.
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 01-25-2010 at 07:13..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote