Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:11   #21
gnepig
Remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
I have 3 Mossberg 500's and 1 Remington 870.

The 2 newer Mossberg's have very little rattle to the fore end. The older one the fore end rattles around the mag tube quite a bit. I bought it used and have no idea how many rounds have been fired through it. It was fairly abused looking when I got it. After some sand blasting and Duracoat it looks great.

The 870 rattles a little bit as well. I've had it since the mid 1980's and it has been shot quite a bit.

If the fore end rattle bothers you then get the 870, but it really has no effect whatsoever on the function of the 500. The 870 will eventually start to rattle a bit too on the fore end.

The rattle on the 500 is mostly due to the design of the action bars and the amount of space between the fore end tube and the magazine tube. The action bars on the 500 are separate pieces pinned to the fore end tube and can move independently. This helps eliminate binding in the action of the fore end is twisted. The Remington 870 action bars are welded to the fore end tube and do not move.

I own 2 Mossberg 500s and the rattle has never bothered me either, it kinda amplifies the "shuck - shuck" sound we like.
Sounds like your sales person is some kinda whiney mall ninja.
gnepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:44   #22
Thrillhouse700

I have noticed a good rattle in my mossy as well, I don't care much it still goes boom every single time.

From handling a few diff mossberg 500's I can tell you that some rattle more than others and here is why...........

The cheaper mossberg 500, sold at big 5 and other various sporting goods stores are build cheaper. The action tube on these is that of a maverick 88, the action bars are built into the slide, if you look at the fore end of the slide there is no retaining nut. This causes it to have a little more slop, but it still works well.

The higher end mossbergs have actual stand alone action slide tubes, and then a slide that mounts to it via retaining nut. These are slightly tighter and the action bars are part of the tube (one piece) so have less movement.

The Dicks sporting goods kid prob assumes all Mossbergs rattle because the company he works for only buys and re sells the cheaper versions of the mossberg. Not saying these are bad guns i own one and I love it.

The good part is if you get a cheaper version of the gun you can replace the slide action tube if you really want to.
Thrillhouse700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:47   #23
USMC03Grunt

Some Mossbergs rattle, some don't and others fall somewhere in between with a slight rattle. Like most everybody said, it's designed with looser tolerances and IMHO, that's not always a bad thing as it is space for dirt and debris to go rather than stop everything from working completely. Next, loose tolerances in a rifle can be a bad thing since a sloppy rifle produces sloppy groups (although they tend to work longer with more crud in the action) such as an AK-47 for example and if accuracy is your game, you are going to want much tighter tolerances. However, what are we discussing? It's a freakin' shotgun and "accuracy" isn't a term generally applied to a weapon designed to fire buck and shot so I really see it as a non-issue.
USMC03Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 13:32   #24
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

I found out today that apparently I can't get the Mossberg autoloader "that everybody wants, the one with the pistol grip and the 8 round mag capacity..." apparently illegal in NJ. The gunshop man said I could get a DIFFERENT Mossberg autoloader, "but not the one with the pistol grip and stock that everyone keeps asking for"....

So the plot thickens. I know I can get an 11-87 cause i've seen them for sale, and I've seen, as I said, Mossberg and Remington pumps. Freaking NJ.

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 14:08   #25
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyDoo View Post
I found out today that apparently I can't get the Mossberg autoloader "that everybody wants, the one with the pistol grip and the 8 round mag capacity..." apparently illegal in NJ. The gunshop man said I could get a DIFFERENT Mossberg autoloader, "but not the one with the pistol grip and stock that everyone keeps asking for"....

So the plot thickens. I know I can get an 11-87 cause i've seen them for sale, and I've seen, as I said, Mossberg and Remington pumps. Freaking NJ.
Yeah that sucks. Honestly, you don't want a Mossberg with pistol grip. You can't reach the controls right. Check out the 930spx with standard stock. Looks bad ass. Don't know much about the 11-87. I'm sure it's sweet too.
Old 01-25-2010, 15:35   #26
Jmzzl
AK User

Mine wasn't all that bad from the factory, but I added a Mako tactical pump this past October, and it wobbles pretty bad. It may be a pet peeve to some, but I don't really mind it all that much.
Jmzzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 17:56   #27
fragout

Pumps rattle, but Mossbergs rattle the most. I used many 590's in the Army, great shotgun. But it's heavy and rattles more than a 870 for sure.
No big deal really, didn't rattle enough on patrol to matter. A 590 will last untill the end of the earth, but the just don't feel as tight as an 870.
Operation Restore Hope/ Gothic Serpent
fragout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 14:04   #28
1smoothredneck

LOTS of rounds through 500s in my time, and I can't recall a single problem.
Rem 870 is fine, but I prefer the 500 for ergonomics, and value to boot.
Be safe
1smoothredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 20:04   #29
tebklr

Rattlin' Mossbergs

My Mossberg 500s rattle like two skeletons gettin' it on in a metal trash can. They also run flawlessly. Never a hiccup.

My 870 does not rattle.

I like them all.
tebklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:04   #30
Southpaw69

My 500 rattles a bit, i just went and shook it...i never noticed before.

So, for shaking use the 870 is the clear winner.

For shooting, they are both fine. I got the 500 because i'm a lefty and the safety is in a better place for me.
Southpaw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:22   #31
TxGun

Non-issue. I have 20 or so pump guns of all kinds. Most rattle somewhat. The Mossberg might rattle a bit more than most, but it's as reliable as any of them. Worry about something else because this isn't worth the time.
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote