Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-25-2010, 14:44   #1
ManNamedJed

How to prevent primer 'pull back' ?

I recently started loading .40. I have a bunch of range pickup brass as the local cops use our IPSC range. A good portion of it is nickel SPEER.

I'm having a high number of instances where during sizing/depriming, the primer is pulled back into the case. I can usually feel it on the primer seating stage, and pull it out, but a few sneak through. I always get a little freaked out when I find a round with a spent primer when I run them through the case gage - hafta wonder if it means I created a squib.

Lately I've been getting 4-5 per hundred rounds. Does anyone have any ways to prevent this? It seems to happen most with the nickeled Speer (which seem to have kinda loose pockets, as the new primers go in really easy). I think I've had maybe 3 in the last 10,000 rounds of 9mm.

I load with a dillon 650 BTW.

Thanks!
call a shotgun a shottie, call a revolver a wheelgun, call wal-mart wally world, post simply "+1", accuse anyone of kool-aid drinking, use "m4gery", tell you that your gun/ammo is unsafe/junk and instruct you to send it to me immediately, change your words and say I 'fixed it for ya', tell you to move to a gun friendly state, or bust on you for using clip instead of mag.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 15:07   #2
bfoosh006

Make sure your de-priming stem doesn't have a burr on it, if it does polish (lightly) it smooth with some emery cloth. And there is a fair chance that you need to adjust the die to fully push out the primer, if it is only pushing it out "1/2" the way, it may be causing this Problem. You should be able to see the de-priming stem "poking"out of the bottom of the case (by an 1/8" ) on a correctly de-primed one.
bfoosh006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 15:39   #3
shotgunred
reloading nut

your depriming pin needs adjustment.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 15:53   #4
ManNamedJed

The pin extends at least 1/2" past the base of the die. It is 'bottomed out' - so it can't get any longer. I felt the tip and it seems smooth. Perhaps I'll put in a new decapping pin just to check.
call a shotgun a shottie, call a revolver a wheelgun, call wal-mart wally world, post simply "+1", accuse anyone of kool-aid drinking, use "m4gery", tell you that your gun/ammo is unsafe/junk and instruct you to send it to me immediately, change your words and say I 'fixed it for ya', tell you to move to a gun friendly state, or bust on you for using clip instead of mag.

Last edited by ManNamedJed; 01-25-2010 at 16:10..
Old 01-25-2010, 16:37   #5
WiskyT
Malcontent

I know the press is blue and therefore not prone to problems, but apparently Dillion has QC issues as well. My father had the same problem with his 650 ten years ago. They still haven't gotten it right. My Pro 1000 never did this.

Now that the gratuitis cheap shotting is out of the way, I'll tell you what Dillon told my father. Chuck the decapping pin in a drill and dress down the edge of the tip so the edges aren't so square. Just a little bit will do it.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 16:47   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManNamedJed View Post
Lately I've been getting 4-5 per hundred rounds. Does anyone have any ways to prevent this? It seems to happen most with the nickeled Speer (which seem to have kinda loose pockets, as the new primers go in really easy). I think I've had maybe 3 in the last 10,000 rounds of 9mm.

I load with a dillon 650 BTW.

Thanks!
What kind of Die are you using? Like was stated before it's likely a burr on your die. Clean the Die, polish the tip. If it's one of those fancy dies with the floating pin check to make sure that is still working right.

Lee has just about the best decapper around. Simple, cheap, strong, Moves out of the way when you get a Berdan case in there, not prone to problems. If it's a Lee consider buying another pin and just being done with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I know the press is blue and therefore not prone to problems, but apparently Dillion has QC issues as well.
\

It has nothing at all to do with the press.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 01-25-2010 at 16:50..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 17:39   #7
ManNamedJed

Its a Dillon die BTW.

I doubt its any kind of press problem. I reloaded tens of thousands of rounds of 9mm and .223 and this only became a problem recently when I started loading .40. Again it is almost always a nickle speer case.

I'll try another pin and see what happens. Someone on brianenos recommended filing the tip at a slight angle so the primer gets pushed out at an angle. I'll try that too.
Old 01-25-2010, 17:54   #8
unclebob

Quote:
Its a Dillon die BTW.

I doubt its any kind of press problem. I reloaded tens of thousands of rounds of 9mm and .223 and this only became a problem recently when I started loading .40. Again it is almost always a nickle speer case.

I'll try another pin and see what happens. Someone on brianenos recommended filing the tip at a slight angle so the primer gets pushed out at an angle. I'll try that too.
The trouble in doing that is you make a point and that pierces the primer. Just take a couple of stokes with a file or replace the decaping pin. This is not a Dillon, Lee, Redding, Hornady or any other die manufacture QC problem. They all could do it do it. More than likely you well not be able too feel it.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-25-2010, 18:04   #9
dudel

Extend the pin out further, or get a Dillon die which has a spring loaded pin which gives a more positive ejection.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...Three_Die_Sets_
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 18:05   #10
BigDog[RE]
NRA Member

I have exactly the same problem with SPEER nickel plated cases in 9MM. Rather than file the decapping pin or replace it, I just culled the Speer nickel cases and the problem went away. It only happened with the Speer nickel cases.
BigDog[RE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 20:12   #11
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
It has nothing at all to do with the press.
But it does have to do with Dillon. I said it was cheap shotting, and it was. But this is a known Dillon problem. It is easily fixed, and I wouldn't say Dillon gear is no good because this stuff happens. I will say that Dillon isn't as perfect as some Lee bashers would have us believe.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 20:25   #12
JerryO

I have seen this occur many times over the years, but didn't know what caused it.

I even had been haveing it occur in my single stage press. There, an occational case would refuse to slide out of the shell holder after deprimeing. I would stroke the ram again and every thing would be fine. And I thought for years that I wasn't getting the old primer out far enough.

Since then I found that some of my cases had primer pockets that were shaped oddly and would result in this.

A possible fix is to resize & deprime on the single stage press. The resizeing lessens the work that needs to be done by the progressive, also.

Or discard the cases that cause the problem.

JerryO
JerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 20:29   #13
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Its a Dillon die BTW.

If the new decapping pin fails you get a Lee Sizing die. I have never had this happen with my Lee Sizing die.
Old 01-25-2010, 20:32   #14
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
Extend the pin out further, or get a Dillon die which has a spring loaded pin which gives a more positive ejection.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...Three_Die_Sets_
He already has the Dillon Die. It seems the more die makers do to solve the issue the more problems they have with the issue.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:32   #15
unclebob

Quote:
If the new decapping pin fails you get a Lee Sizing die. I have never had this happen with my Lee Sizing die.
I have.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-26-2010, 08:00   #16
ChaneyD

I have both 650 & 550 and never had this problem and I load 11 different calibers. With this said, I would go after the depriming pin and change it out and see if that makes the difference.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:09   #17
unclebob

From the Dillon 650 instruction manual.
Decap pin not decaping.
1. Sizing die not screwed down far enough.
2. Decapping assembly not screwed down all the way.
3. Decapping pin bent, broken or missing.
4. Point of decap pin is squared off not rounded (pin gets stuck in anvil and pulls primer back into primer pocket).
5. Berdan primed brass.
a. Berdan primed brass has two flash holes and should not be reloaded.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-26-2010, 09:19   #18
Glock2008
Gun User

Quote:
hafta wonder if it means I created a squib.
Nope, just a dummy round. a squib would be a primed cartridge with to little or no powder.
Glock2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:15   #19
BigDog[RE]
NRA Member

Quote:
ummm no. Like I said above, I had an almost identical problem, and I am using Lee dies on my 550.
BigDog[RE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:22   #20
Colorado4Wheel

I guess I am just lucky (sound of me knocking on wood). None of my Lee dies have ever done it. .38/357/10mm/9mm. It doesn't seem for all the complication (dillon and others with floating pins) that anyone has really solved the issue either.