Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:18   #21
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
When you stick a bullet in the barrel because it was jacketed and underloaded and then run one right behind it, what would YOU call it?
An AL Gore purple heart.
And yes a squib!

Quote:

You really ought to have some idea of why Speer doesn't list jacketed 158 loads for 38spl anymore and why the US military uses a 130 grain bullet for it's jacketed loadings. I know why already so I'm not worried about it.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot
I guess you are just smarter than the rest of us.
3.8 gr of 231 under a 180. Soft as a babies but and makes power factor.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:50   #22
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Going too low with s jacketed or plated bullet can lead to a KB. The higher friction means a bullet can get stuck in the bore. I don't know where that point is and I don't want to find out.
I've been running the 3.0 Clays for countless thousands of rounds (it's my main competition load). It has enough umph to launch a 180 at 725+ fps each and every time.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 16:44   #23
MSgt Dotson

3.7 gr of TG with 155 gr RNFP good for 840 fps....feels about like standard .38 special loads...
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 16:55   #24
WiskyT
Malcontent

Okay, you're all missing the point and the only reason I'm going to outline it is for others who are reading this post. It is a known fact that the US military loads a 130 jacketed round because when tolerances stack up and the barrel cylinder gap gets too tight, bullets get stuck in the bore with heavier bullets. It is not possible to guarantee that every gun in service will successfully launch a heavy jacketed bullet with a standard pressure load. Speer 13 and later specifically warns about this and no longer lists data for this combo. But what do they know?

You are flirting with the same thing by using a very low load with a jacketed bullet in ANY caliber. That's what this thread is about. Powderpuff loads, which means "very low".

Running 3.0 Clays with a 180 is the minimum load listed by Hodgdon. That is not what I'm talking about. It's running 26kpsi and is not "too slow" or powderpuff. The max is only 3.5 so you are basicall just using a starting load.

That members on this board have no problems loading well below starting levels with jacketed bullets is their business to report. For them to list it as an acceptable way to load ammo is just plain wrong.

It's just plain ignorant to say that getting a bullet stuck in the bore is a NOTprecursor to blowing it up. Shotgun Red, are you saying that an obstructed bore is not a hazard?

Quote:
I guess you are just smarter than the rest of us.
3.8 gr of 231 under a 180. Soft as a babies but and makes power factor.
I guess so. So why don't you do us all a favor and load up a batch of 180 jacketed rounds with 3.0 of your 231. Don't bring a squib rod to the range. All squibs must be cleared by executing a tap,rack,bang.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 17:43   #25
WiskyT
Malcontent

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunit...pecial_200911/

Quote:
Handloads
Reloaders should use caution in loading the .38 Spl. to low recoil levels. Lubricated lead bullets have far less resistance in the bore than jacketed ones. I recommend that the novice .38 Spl. reloader always begin with lead projectiles of 145 grains and up. In recent Speer manuals, we did not show "start" loads for some jacketed bullets at standard . 38 Spl. pressures. Variations in critical chamber and barrel dimensions in some revolvers caused some velocities to fall to the point where lodging a bullet in the bore--a condition abbreviated BIB--was possible.

Old 01-30-2010, 17:52   #26
esgmabel

I use 2.9gr of American Select with a 170 gr lead SWC Missouri Bullet missouribullet.com That is about 750fps in my 35. It runs real nice.

Good luck.
esgmabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:56   #27
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
That members on this board have no problems loading well below starting levels with jacketed bullets is their business to report. For them to list it as an acceptable way to load ammo is just plain wrong.

It's just plain ignorant to say that getting a bullet stuck in the bore is a NOTprecursor to blowing it up. Shotgun Red, are you saying that an obstructed bore is not a hazard?

I guess so. So why don't you do us all a favor and load up a batch of 180 jacketed rounds with 3.0 of your 231. Don't bring a squib rod to the range. All squibs must be cleared by executing a tap,rack,bang.
I have never had a squib. Squibs are normally caused by not putting powder in that cartage. Thousands of competition shooters load millions of powder puff loads and shoot them with no problem every year. Go over to brian enous site and you can find hundreds of guys listing their favorite powder puff loads. Heck powders like solo 1000 , one of the favorite competition powders doesn't have hardly any pistol data. Everyone is working off the books with it.

So what is it? Is it that you are just smarter than everyone else and thousands of the beast shooters in the country are just lucky? Or maybe just maybe you don't know what you are talking about? I know what my money is on!
Oh yea
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:06   #28
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
So what is it? Is it that you are just smarter than everyone else and thousands of the beast shooters in the country are just lucky? Or maybe just maybe you don't know what you are talking about? I know what my money is on!
Oh yea
Hey Red, please try to be coherent will you? I never said don't load light loads. I said doing it with jacketed bullets is a potentially dangerous practice. I provide proof to that effect and you change the subject. You argue like a Democrat. When you are challenged you change the subject and put words in my mouth.

You haven't had a squib with your load because your load isn't light enough. Load down a bit and see what happens. When you do get a squib with a jacketed bullet, use the same load substituting a lead bullet. The lead bullet won't stick.

So getting back to the OP original question about powderpuff loads, the lightest loads possible will be with a cast or swaged unjacketed lead bullet.

Old 02-13-2010, 23:18   #29
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post
My wife liked this load out of my G22:

OAL= 1.130
Rainier 165gr FP
4.7gr Solo 1,000
CCI SP Primers
Mixed Once Fired Brass
I has taken me a very long time to finally get a chance to put a Solo 1000 load together for 40 minor but I finally did. I settled on 2.7gr of Solo behind a 180gr lead TC bullet with an OAL of 1.120" and a crimp of 0.422". I shot it through an M&P40 which produced a power factor of 126.7

The accuracy at 20 yards was approximately a 2.5" group which is certainly not a bulls-eye load but still very usable for USPSA. This load is for my wife's pistol and she is more interested in shooting a light load than obtaining a tighter group.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:17   #30
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Anyone ever do a light .40 with Solo 1250?? While I'm not looking to go away from my Clays load, I do have a bunch of 1250 that I'd like to use up for practice.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:45   #31
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
Anyone ever do a light .40 with Solo 1250?? While I'm not looking to go away from my Clays load, I do have a bunch of 1250 that I'd like to use up for practice.
Whats that 1250 like?
Old 02-14-2010, 14:06   #32
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cysoto View Post
I has taken me a very long time to finally get a chance to put a Solo 1000 load together for 40 minor but I finally did. I settled on 2.7gr of Solo behind a 180gr lead TC bullet with an OAL of 1.120" and a crimp of 0.422". I shot it through an M&P40 which produced a power factor of 126.7

The accuracy at 20 yards was approximately a 2.5" group which is certainly not a bulls-eye load but still very usable for USPSA. This load is for my wife's pistol and she is more interested in shooting a light load than obtaining a tighter group.
Did you mistype or this load really was with 2.7gr of Solo? I couldn't imagine that light of a charge being accurate or even working the slide properly.
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 15:42   #33
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Whats that 1250 like?
Not sure in the .40. I was using it for .38 super major. I just don't shoot much Open Division any more.
Old 02-14-2010, 19:01   #34
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post
Did you mistype or this load really was with 2.7gr of Solo? I couldn't imagine that light of a charge being accurate or even working the slide properly.
It sounds really low don't it!?!? I had the same reaction when I first heard this too but I tried it and it works just fine!

Like I mentioned before, the groups are only 2.5" (and I am sure some of that is me) but I am not complaining. This load groups a bit better than the previous Clays load I was using (2.6gr Clays behind a 180gr lead TC bullet) and it produces less smoke (or maybe it is that the smoke is lighter in color).

I chrono'ed this load through a 4" M&P and, even though I didn't try it with the OEM spring, I have the feeling that it would work it just fine. The wife prefers the recoil impulse of a 15lb spring better so that is what she runs in this gun.

I have been thinking that I may have to bump it up to 2.8gr of Solo 1000 to make sure that the boss won't end up sub-minor during a major match. If that ever happened I would never hear the end of it...
Old 02-14-2010, 19:54   #35
tmd11111

I have two different lite loads that I use in my G35. Both are with 180gn LFP bullets from Redline Ballistics and neither one causes leading in the barrel.
The light one is with 3.2gn of Titegroup. This one will drop the cases right at your feet and group about 2" at 15yds off hand.
My second load with the same bullet is with 4.4gn of Bullseye. This groups about the same but burns a little dirty in comparison. Both are loaded to a C.O.L. of 1.135".
My most accurate load with these bullets is with 5.0gn of Unique. These will group at around an inch off the bench at 15yrds but really kick the brass out. Seem's like an easter egg hunt to retrieve them.
tmd11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 20:41   #36
LoadedTech

I liked 4.0 W231, very soft shooting with 180g plated. Using BE now and havent come up with a mouse fart, but 4.7g under a 180 rainier snaps nicely, like a factory round. All at 1.125 OAL.