SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-01-2010, 21:31   #1
Turtle13
Ni!

AK leaves a dimple in the round

My brother in law has a Romanian AK. His firing pin will leave a small dimple in the primer of the round when you chamber it. His firing pin just wobbles around. You can actually hear it if you shake the gun.

I'm looking to purchase an AK, I'm strongly considering a Saiga from Kvar. If I decided on a Romanian is this dimpling something that's common? It sure is not something I'm comfortable with.
Old 02-01-2010, 21:40   #2
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

It is very common.
It shouldn't be an issue, but that is why you keep the gun pointed in a safe direction when you load it, for the just in case factor.
Old 02-01-2010, 21:40   #3
Dragunov54
7.62 x 54R

Turtle13,

Yes, it is common for the firing pins on AK and AK Variant rifles to leave a dimple mark on the primers. This is due to the firing pin being free floating, without a spring containing the firing pin. So when shaking the bolt, you should hear the pin move freely. However, when the round is chambered, the inertia from the free floating firing pin within the bolt, will travel slightly forward just enough to dimple the primer. This is also common on AR15's/M4 rifles. So, go ahead and purchase that Saiga.

By the way, I am still clinging to my guns and religion
Dragunov54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 21:40   #4
andyffer

im not sure if my lancaster does this
andyffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 21:46   #5
Turtle13
Ni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov54 View Post
Turtle13,

Yes, it is common for the firing pins on AK and AK Variant rifles to leave a dimple mark on the primers. This is due to the firing pin being free floating, without a spring containing the firing pin. So when shaking the bolt, you should hear the pin move freely. However, when the round is chambered, the inertia from the free floating firing pin within the bolt, will travel slightly forward just enough to dimple the primer. This is also common on AR15's/M4 rifles. So, go ahead and purchase that Saiga.
My concern was really with the Romanians. Classic Arms has one with a 6 position stock which I like and is almost half the cost of the Siaga SGL I have my eye on.

Also I read something about Siagas not accepting double stack mil spec magazines? This isn't true is it? I even saw a guy on youtube had filed his mag release a bit. What is that all about?

And just for the record, I always keep my firearms pointed in a safe direction when chambering.
Old 02-01-2010, 23:38   #6
Dragunov54
7.62 x 54R

Quote:
My concern was really with the Romanians. Classic Arms has one with a 6 position stock which I like and is almost half the cost of the Siaga SGL I have my eye on.
Buy the Classic Arms.

Quote:
Also I read something about Siagas not accepting double stack mil spec magazines? This isn't true is it?
Depends on what the receiver can accept, but I have not seen any Saiga not accepting anything besides double stack mags.

Quote:
I even saw a guy on youtube had filed his mag release a bit. What is that all about?
Couldn't tell you. What is the benefit in filing your mag release?

By the way, I am still clinging to my guns and religion
Dragunov54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:06   #7
GerryV

[quote=Turtle13;14667466]
Also I read something about Siagas not accepting double stack mil spec magazines? This isn't true is it? I even saw a guy on youtube had filed his mag release a bit. What is that all about?
/quote]

They accept double stacks fine, however, in order to use surplus steel or other non-Saiga AK mags you have to add a bullet guide in order to chamber a round. The Saiga specific mags are different than regular AK mags and do this by design. It's a pretty simple process to install a bullet guide....costs about $20 (if you don't make one yourself) and takes about 20-30 minutes to drill and tap the hole. The below link shows you the steps.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/bg_install.pdf
GerryV is offline   Reply With Quote