Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 21:31   #1
Turtle13
Ni!
 
Turtle13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Flint, MI
Posts: 3,027
AK leaves a dimple in the round

My brother in law has a Romanian AK. His firing pin will leave a small dimple in the primer of the round when you chamber it. His firing pin just wobbles around. You can actually hear it if you shake the gun.

I'm looking to purchase an AK, I'm strongly considering a Saiga from Kvar. If I decided on a Romanian is this dimpling something that's common? It sure is not something I'm comfortable with.
__________________
If God did not intend for us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat? -John Cleese
Turtle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 21:40   #2
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,786
It is very common.
It shouldn't be an issue, but that is why you keep the gun pointed in a safe direction when you load it, for the just in case factor.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 21:40   #3
Dragunov54
7.62 x 54R
 
Dragunov54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Freeport, Florida
Posts: 80
Turtle13,

Yes, it is common for the firing pins on AK and AK Variant rifles to leave a dimple mark on the primers. This is due to the firing pin being free floating, without a spring containing the firing pin. So when shaking the bolt, you should hear the pin move freely. However, when the round is chambered, the inertia from the free floating firing pin within the bolt, will travel slightly forward just enough to dimple the primer. This is also common on AR15's/M4 rifles. So, go ahead and purchase that Saiga.
__________________
Have gun, will travel :50cal:

By the way, I am still clinging to my guns and religion
Dragunov54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 21:40   #4
andyffer
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 91
im not sure if my lancaster does this
andyffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 21:46   #5
Turtle13
Ni!
 
Turtle13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Flint, MI
Posts: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov54 View Post
Turtle13,

Yes, it is common for the firing pins on AK and AK Variant rifles to leave a dimple mark on the primers. This is due to the firing pin being free floating, without a spring containing the firing pin. So when shaking the bolt, you should hear the pin move freely. However, when the round is chambered, the inertia from the free floating firing pin within the bolt, will travel slightly forward just enough to dimple the primer. This is also common on AR15's/M4 rifles. So, go ahead and purchase that Saiga.
My concern was really with the Romanians. Classic Arms has one with a 6 position stock which I like and is almost half the cost of the Siaga SGL I have my eye on.

Also I read something about Siagas not accepting double stack mil spec magazines? This isn't true is it? I even saw a guy on youtube had filed his mag release a bit. What is that all about?

And just for the record, I always keep my firearms pointed in a safe direction when chambering.
__________________
If God did not intend for us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat? -John Cleese
Turtle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 23:38   #6
Dragunov54
7.62 x 54R
 
Dragunov54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Freeport, Florida
Posts: 80
Quote:
My concern was really with the Romanians. Classic Arms has one with a 6 position stock which I like and is almost half the cost of the Siaga SGL I have my eye on.
Buy the Classic Arms.

Quote:
Also I read something about Siagas not accepting double stack mil spec magazines? This isn't true is it?
Depends on what the receiver can accept, but I have not seen any Saiga not accepting anything besides double stack mags.

Quote:
I even saw a guy on youtube had filed his mag release a bit. What is that all about?
Couldn't tell you. What is the benefit in filing your mag release?
__________________
Have gun, will travel :50cal:

By the way, I am still clinging to my guns and religion
Dragunov54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:06   #7
GerryV
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 65
[quote=Turtle13;14667466]
Also I read something about Siagas not accepting double stack mil spec magazines? This isn't true is it? I even saw a guy on youtube had filed his mag release a bit. What is that all about?
/quote]


They accept double stacks fine, however, in order to use surplus steel or other non-Saiga AK mags you have to add a bullet guide in order to chamber a round. The Saiga specific mags are different than regular AK mags and do this by design. It's a pretty simple process to install a bullet guide....costs about $20 (if you don't make one yourself) and takes about 20-30 minutes to drill and tap the hole. The below link shows you the steps.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/bg_install.pdf
GerryV is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 612
123 Members
489 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31