Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-11-2009, 17:38   #1
MaximaDrvr

GT Braintrust: Help me build a rifle. I'm a noob.

I am just getting into rifles, and figured the best way to learn about an AR is to build one myself. I know that I can buy an upper in any configuration that I can dream of, most likely for cheaper, but I want to do it this way. I do already have an AR pistol that I bought fully assembled and ready to rock. All I did was pull off the BUIS and put on a red dot optic.
I want to make a 16'', relatively light weight (I think) rifle that is fun to move and shoot. I'm not a target shooter by any means, so I'm sure any rifle will be better than I am. The 16'' is really what I'm most set on. I may end up with a not so light rifle in the end compared to others, but I'm ok with that.
What I need help with, is what parts I need, what I'm missing, and where to get said parts I don't have.

I just bought a lower (with lpk installed) and an assembled YHM A3 upper reciever.
Now I need to actually figure out what I'm going to do with it, and turn it into a rifle.
This
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=989015 This link doesn't work anymore. I think it may have sold out.
Here is the stripped version: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=717820
and the lower from
http://timberwolfwarrior.com/index.htm

I don't have a buffer tube or anything of that sort yet. I don't have a stock picket out. I believe I can get a kit for all of this. I'm thinking of the VLTOR (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Vltor...2s%20black.htm) or BCM (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-St...ec%20black.htm) though I am open to options as well.

I don't have a barrel picked out, but I do know I want a 5.56 chambering.
What do I need to look at in regards to midlength vs. carbine length vs. rifle length gas ports?
I think I need something like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=461614

I need a BCG and charging handle of some sort.

I want to have a rail system, but know what yet. I have seen the YHM and DD rails systems, and they both look good. I do not want the standard front sight gas block as I already have iron sights that go on a rail. What type of gas block and gas tube do I need. Do I need the rail to be 12'' or so, or can the sight be more toward the rear? Does this matter for anything other than sight radius? Would I be looking at either of these? http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/VLTOR...ck%20gb-2s.htm or http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/PRI-G...as%20block.htm or http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwe...ctar%20lpg.htm
This is where I have the most confusion on the build. Do these come with the pins or screws needed for instal?

Do I need a muzzle break or comp? I was looking at:
Noveske KX3 http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Noves.../kx3%20pig.htm
PRI MSTN QC brake http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/PRI-M...2005-0089b.htm
Phantom 4 port http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/flash...M-p/yhm-28.htm

Am I missing any other parts?

I have already read the tutorials for building your own AR on arfcom, but I want to check with people on a site that I am a member of.

Thanks, and sorry for all the links.

Heres the pistol I already have. It does 2'' groups at 100 yards with a 7.5'' barrel.
Black Rifle Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Students for Concealed Carry State Director

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MaximaDrvr; 12-11-2009 at 22:46.. Reason: .
MaximaDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 20:16   #2
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I want to make a 16'', relatively light weight (I think) rifle that is fun to move and shoot.
16inches and light weight means a light weight barrel (or at least a light weight profile under the handguards.

What I need help with, is what parts I need, what I'm missing, and where to get said parts I don't have.
I would look at del-ton.com if you want a reasonable cost reasonable functional parts build.

I just bought a lower (with lpk installed) and an assembled YHM A3 upper reciever.
This doesn't make sense. I see your picture below. It doesn't match the above statement. I am confused.

What do I need to look at in regards to midlength vs. carbine length vs. rifle length gas ports?
Rifle length are for 18-20 inch barrels.
For a 16 inch barrel semi-auto you can do carbine or midlength.

I need a BCG and charging handle of some sort.
A standard charge handle will do. Since you have one, try it out in the new rifle. The gas buster is very nice. I bought it because I was running a suppressor.

Do I need the rail to be 12'' or so, or can the sight be more toward the rear? Does this matter for anything other than sight radius? Would I be looking at either of these?
No you do not need rifle length rails, but if you use a low-pro gas port is looks really cool. Yes, I have a build like that. It is heavier. It does allow for more stuff on the rail and push the front sight out there.

Do these come with the pins or screws needed for install?

Yes, they come with everything necessary for installation, but some barrels are setup for cross pins, some are setup for screws.
The low pro will fit under your rails.

Do I need a muzzle break or comp?

NO, you do not NEED a break or comp to make the gun function. Breaks suck in general. I like vortex flash suppressors, but I really have not done a test at night.

Am I missing any other parts?

Yes, you need tool and how do you plan on attaching a sling/single point.

To be perfectly honest, it is cheaper to buy a complete upper now days unless you want something specific.
Old 12-11-2009, 20:56   #3
MaximaDrvr

Thanks for the response. The picture is what I already have, which is an AR pistol.
I want to build a rifle. This would be for personal pleasure over buying something complete.

I haven't thought about a sling system at all at this point.

Last edited by MaximaDrvr; 12-11-2009 at 20:58.. Reason: .
Old 12-11-2009, 22:42   #4
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr View Post
Thanks for the response. The picture is what I already have, which is an AR pistol.
That makes more sense.
Old 12-11-2009, 22:47   #5
MaximaDrvr

What is the different between mid-length and carbine length gas tubes and port placement? Is one better or more reliable?

Old 12-12-2009, 18:40   #6
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr View Post
What is the different between mid-length and carbine length gas tubes and port placement? Is one better or more reliable?
It has been suggested that the mid length is more reliable in fully auto guns.
I have not seen this. The carbine length did just fine until someone came up with the mid length.

You could go piston. It is the new thing.
Old 01-26-2010, 21:34   #7
MaximaDrvr

Well, I started the journey. I spent a lot of time looking at pictures of rifles and deciding what I like and what I wanted.

So far I have purchased:
Yankee Hill A3 upper
Spikes Tactical stripped lower
Daniel Defense LPK (w/ Magpul Enhanced trigger guard)
LMT Full-Auto BCG
LMT Charging Handle

I have decided to do a FDE build.
I'm looking at the Magpul CTR stock, Magpul MOE grip, and Magpul AFG all in FDE.
Then some sort of free float rail in 9-12'' length, also in FDE.
I'm still working on what barrel I would like to go with, but I do know it will be 16''.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the magpul MOE stock and the CTR stock? In the images, they look the same to me.

Black Rifle Forum

Old 01-26-2010, 21:45   #8
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

The CTR has a friction lock and a quick release sling mount that
is not incorperated on the MOE.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 21:56   #9
MaximaDrvr

^thanks, guess I want the CTR then.

Last edited by MaximaDrvr; 01-26-2010 at 21:56.. Reason: .
Old 02-03-2010, 17:02   #10
MaximaDrvr

Where I am now:
Yankee Hill A3 upper
Spikes Tactical stripped lower
Daniel Defense LPK
LMT Full-Auto BCG
LMT Charging Handle
Magpul MIAD Full grip kit in FDE
Magpul CTR milspec in FDE
Black Rifle Forum

Old 02-03-2010, 20:57   #11
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

for a 16 inch gun you want a mid length gas system , the carbine system is too violent in a 16 inch gun.. It will shoot softer and prolong the life, also giving more dwell time to allow easier extraction.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:26   #12
USMC03

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
for a 16 inch gun you want a mid length gas system , the carbine system is too violent in a 16 inch gun.. It will shoot softer and prolong the life, also giving more dwell time to allow easier extraction.
I agree.

More info can be found here:

Black Rifle Forum
03designgroup | Carbine vs. Mid-Length Gas System on a 16" Barrel Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum
03designgroup | Advantages of Mid-Length Carbines for Law Enforcement Officers Black Rifle Forum

Semper Fi,
Jeff
USMC03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:33   #13
TimP
1 Proud Infidel

Send a message via AIM to TimP
dang you USMC03, why you got to bring logic to the table

Hope all is well buddy

Field Editor

Intermedia Outdoors
TimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 17:06   #14
MaximaDrvr

Ordered a Midwest Industries MI-T10 10'' rail in FDE.

Now I need to pick a barrel.

Old 02-11-2010, 21:54   #15
MaximaDrvr

Parts came in today. Optics, rail covers, and AFG will be here next week.
The action block should be here next week as well, and then I can tighten everything down. Once I get the action block I'm putting the Noveske KX3 on the AR pistol, and the YHM Phantom on the rifle.
This is just a mock up:
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum

Old 02-11-2010, 22:04   #16
djegators

Lookin' real nice Max!

SHOT 2013:
djegators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 18:40   #17
MaximaDrvr

Well, here it is:
Black Rifle Forum
AR 15 rifle build
Spikes Tactical Stripped Lower
Yankee Hill Assembled A3 Upper
Daniel Defense LPK
LMT Full Auto BCG
LMT Charging Handle
Pmag: FDE x3
Magpul MIAD Full Kit
Magpul CTR Stock
Mil Spec buffer tube/spring/buffer
QD sling swivel stud
MI-T10 FF rails
BCM Mid-length standar barrel
YHM lo-pro gas block
Yankee Hill A2 FH
Magpul AFG
Gas tube
MBUIS: Magpul FDE
Daniel Defense offset mount
Primary Arms G2 Blem Micro
3x9-40 scope and mount
Daniel Defense QD sling stud
$1521

AR 15 pistol build
DPMS lower
Model 1 Sales A3 upper
Model 1 Sales 7.5'' barrel
Model 1 pistol buffer tube
Yankee Hill FF 7'' rail
Yankee Hill lo-pro gas block
Magpul trigger guard
Hogue grip
2 metal mags
Noveske KX3
Primary Arms M4 clone w/ 3x magnifier
$1150

The A2 flash hider on the rifle makes it WAAY more balanced than with the KX3. Hopefully some time in the next couple weeks I'll be able to go test this thing out.