Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-03-2010, 23:10   #1
Kfall

Jacketed Hollow Point vs Jacketed Soft Point ammo

Can anyone explain to me the difference? I have always used Jacket Hollow Point for my Glock 22 and my old .38 S&W revolver. I am about to buy some additional ammo and I see "Jacketed Soft Point". It is less expensive, but I do not know the difference so I am looking to the experts here. (BTW I was looking at Ammunition to Go's website.

Typically I have been buying Federal Premium Law Enforcement Ammo 40 S&W 180 Grain HST HP

Thanks!
Kfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:06   #2
Kfall

I've done a little research since posting the above question and have a basic understanding of the difference now. Ultimately what I was trying to get in a round about way I guess is if there is a performance issue when using with a firearm like my Glock 22? Will it affect the reliability of my Glock's ability to feed ammo?

THANKS!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:29   #3
PersonOfInterest

Well JSP's in handgun rounds are usually reserved for revolver rounds particularly for hunting such as for the 357magnum or .44, you might find some in .38 special but i doubt youll find any JSP's in auto pistol rounds - only exception that comes to mind is the Federal 9mm 90gr JSP.
Never heard of a JSP in .40 caliber, there primary design is for deep penetration in hunting they get very little expansion at handgun velocities ive found, i think the reason you occasionally see them in the .38 special is simply due to the fact the .38 special is an old cateridge therefore catering to an older way of thinking (that some expansion would happen from an exposed core) fact is even those projectiles in the .357 magnum get little to none at 1450fps.
So dont worry about reliability in your glock 22 fact is you wont find JSP's in .40, now Soft points in rifles are a different story - they tend to explode consistently at high speeds - something handguns lack.
PersonOfInterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:20   #4
Kfall

Your absolutely correct, I went back and looked and it was only available for the 38.

Thanks!!
Old 02-04-2010, 17:58   #5
390ish

you need speed to mash down that soft point.
390ish is offline   Reply With Quote