Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2010, 19:52   #1
FlyfishermanMike

Ameriglo Pro Operator Rear + ProGlo Front

I finally took a leap and bought the night sight combo I've been considering for the last little bit for my G30. I went with a rear Pro Operator in Yellow (GL-235-OP Rear) and a front ProGlo with Green tritium and Orange Luminova (GL-212-OR). When looking for info about this combo I didn't find too much specific info but a lot about the Pro Operators and very little about the ProGlo. Ameriglo is currently out of the ProGlo but are making some more and hopefully will have some at the beginning of March. I didn't want to wait so found two other places that had the front ProGlo.

They were Ghost Inc. : Ghost Inc. Proglo Orange/Green

and Southern Police Equipment: www.southernpoliceequipment.com ProGlo Orange/Green

I ordered it from Ghost Inc. as shipping was $2 cheaper and I know people who have ordered from them. I ordered it Tuesday night and received it Monday night. Florida to Utah, not too bad. It was the same price as Ameriglo but without the now, 20% off coupon (GSSF (now works again) or Grady, both are now 20% off)

A few other people are interested in this combo and have requested a review and more pics so that's what this thread is here for. I only have the front sight and just installed it before I had to run to class. For the moment I only has pics of the loose sight but there's more to come.

Initial Impressions:
Sights, Optics and Lasers
The sight looks well built. The close-up pics almost make it look rough around the edges but it's dust and other particles brought out by the light and macro lens. The green tritium vial is set back in with a lens that covers and protects it. Because of this I see little chance of the vial breaking or getting damaged when getting hit or rubbed against something. The lens is clear and vial is bright and sharp. Other sights are bigger but are more fuzzy around the edges. It's visible in low light and glows nicely in complete darkness. I wish I had a normal, white outlined Operator front sight to compare it too. The ProGlo is sightly wider at .140" compared to the Operator's width at .125" This was part of my hesitation because one of the things people have raved about was the more narrow front sight and wider rear sight. When I have the rear sight installed I'll see if that .015" makes a big difference. The length of the ProGlo sight is perfectly acceptable. Some other night sights, to accommodate the vial are really quite long. Especially sights like TFO with fiber optic tubes and tritium. A longer front sight cuts into sight radius which with the Pro Operator in the rear helps.
The Orange Luminova square is pretty cool. It really stands out in normal lighting. I like the concept of a square in a square notch. Even with the normal Glock rear sight I can pick up the front easier and faster. There is just enough black around the edges to provide some contrast between the front sight and the open space. I'll see if and how much this changes with a wider rear sight. The orange is centered, level and even around the edges.

In the dark:
Again, you can see the sight is clear, crisp and bright.

Another worry I has was that when activating the luminova it would glow orange, combined with the green tritium and yellow in the rear would create too much contrast and could create ocular confusion. I need to play around with it more but the orange, when activated, isn't nearly as intense as I thought it was be. The transition from green to orange is smooth. I don't see myself using the orange in the dark though. In the pic, I hit it with a little LED light for only a few seconds. I wish I had the money to get a green/green ProGlo to compare.

So far, I'm pretty happy. I'm almost done with classes for the week so I'll update then and when I get the rear installed. I'd be happy to answer any questions the best I can or take more pics.

^^ike

Last edited by FlyfishermanMike; 02-09-2010 at 22:38..
FlyfishermanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 20:32   #2
bucken

Am anxious to hear your comments after you get it installed. I've been waiting for this sight to get back in stock for a long time. Didn't realize you could get it elsewhere, until your post. Can you comment, later, on how difficult it was to remove your original front sight. Was it glued or loc-tited? BTW, your photos don't seem to work.
bucken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 20:44   #3
FlyfishermanMike

The pics should work now. Removal of the old and installation of the new took about 2 minutes. With the new sight came blue loctite and a removal tool. It looks like this:
My G30 had a screw on front sight so I just unscrewed it, put the new one on with some loctite on the threads and screwed it on with the tool. I know some Glock's have a non-screw in sight that has to be pulled off with a pair of pliers and can't be re-used. I don't think mine was glued or had loctite on it, it came off really easy with the tool. I've heard that Ameriglo rear sights can be a pretty tight fit so I'm considering taking it to someone with a sight pusher.

^^ike
Old 02-09-2010, 22:49   #4
FlyfishermanMike

The only down side I've seen so far is that in some low light situations the orange can wash out. This only happens in low light when the main light source is directly in front of you. I'll take a situation from my house. I'm standing in the doorway of my room with it's lights off and aiming down the hall with a light on at the end of the hall. No light behind me and a single light in front. The orange starts to wash out but the green tritium starts to light up. I've been roaming my house, playing with different lighting situations and this one seems the most pronounced. With a light source to the side or rear the orange picks up nicely.

I attempted to show what I described above. Pics are from the same place but with different lighting.

Back-lit
Front-lit

Some more photos:

^^ike
Old 02-09-2010, 22:57   #5
FlyfishermanMike

A couple more:

^^ike
Old 02-10-2010, 10:41   #6
bucken

I gotta get one of these. Would you say that the height of the sight was the same as the Glock sight (thinking about how point of aim might be affected)?
Old 02-10-2010, 16:25   #7
FlyfishermanMike

Same as the stock sight height at .165"
Old 02-11-2010, 23:56   #8
FlyfishermanMike

I just received the Ameriglo Pro Operator Yellow rear today. I ordered it last Wednesday and received it today, not too bad UPS from Georgia to Utah. I'm not complaining but I'd love an option for First Class or Priority mail. It would be faster and cheaper. $8 UPS for a tiny little package could be trimmed down a little. Anyway, I removed my old stock sight from my G30 pretty easily. The Ameriglo is a pretty tight fit so I'm going to find someone tomorrow with a pusher and get it done right. Here are a few pics.

Again, nothing but good so far. The yellow looks good in the dark and contrasts nicely to the green front. I'm going to love the wider notch in back. I'm glad I went twith the Pro style.

^^ike
Old 02-12-2010, 07:15   #9
AmeriGlo

Fly,

Thanks for the feedback.

We used to use USPS but had too many problems with delivery confirmation and real-time tracking. If we were shipping something less expensive, we'd probably take our chances with USPS.

Currently we charge $8.50 per package (even if you ordered 10 sets and three heavy sight tools). At that rate we break even on most residential deliveries. For rural and a lot of stuff out west we actually lose $1 or so at the $8.50 rate.

Rick
AmeriGlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 18:21   #10
FlyfishermanMike

That makes sense. I knew you had a good reason USPS leaves a lot to be desired in the tracking department. Thanks,

^^ike
Old 02-16-2010, 20:47   #11
Sklee

width

What width are the rear sights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyfishermanMike View Post

Again, nothing but good so far. The yellow looks good in the dark and contrasts nicely to the green front. I'm going to love the wider notch in back. I'm glad I went twith the Pro style.

^^ike
Sklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 18:00   #12
bucken

Just got back from a trip and my new front sight was waiting for me. But WAIT! The orange surrounding the green trit on my sight is ROUND, not square, as I was
expecting. At first, I was disappointed but the more I look at it, I'm not so sure. What does everyone else think? Round or Square?[URL="http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt229/buckenr/AmerigloFS.jpg%5B/IMG%5D"]Sights, Optics and Lasers[/URL]

Last edited by bucken; 02-19-2010 at 19:07..
Old 02-20-2010, 16:50   #13
ck1
Some Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucken View Post
Just got back from a trip and my new front sight was waiting for me. But WAIT! The orange surrounding the green trit on my sight is ROUND, not square, as I was
expecting. At first, I was disappointed but the more I look at it, I'm not so sure. What does everyone else think? Round or Square?Sights, Optics and Lasers
I ordered one the other day and should have it in a few days... I spoke to Rick the other day and he told me about how they tweaked the Pro Glo a bit so that now it only comes in a dot instead of the optional square and that now the Luminova is a slightly darker red-ish/orange color... I've had both the square and the dot version of the older Luminova's and can say that I far and away preferred the dot (the dot leaves more of a black outline that I feel contrasts better with the light bars/space around the front blade... the orange gets your attention and is what you use close-in, but for real precision you can still line up the blade inside the notch easily and quickly).

I'm using a super-wide (.160) Meprolight Night sight as a front right now, and while I improved my sight picture 1,000,000% once I switched out the Mepro rear (with narrow .140 rear notch) with the pro series rear with it's .180 rear notch, and it's now really pretty good, I know the pro glo up front will be better for sure.

It's a .140 width sight which I'll pair with the pro series serrated plain black rear (with a .180 wide notch) which gives a perceived light bar ratio of 40% of the front sight width on a G17... adds up to about the same ratio as Warren/Sevigny comp sights in a lower profile, wider-overall package which IMO absolutely rules (I've run it before with a "normal" .140 wide tritium up front)!

I have no freakin' idea how guys can possibly stand the Glock factory Mepro NS set-up with .160 front and .140 rear notch, NO light bars whatsoever, just horrible, worse than the Glock stock/plastic sight ratio (.140 front, .150 rear notch)... ESPECIALLY after knowing what a good set-up looks like.

Last edited by ck1; 02-20-2010 at 17:22..
ck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 20:22   #14
bucken

ck1,
Thanks for your comments... I've also noticed that the newer Luminova (the reddish orange color) has absolutely no glow-in-the-dark tendencies. I actually like it better since (I think) the green tritium may appear more distinct that way.
Old 02-20-2010, 22:32   #15
FlyfishermanMike

Interesting they've moved to only a circle now. I like my square so I'm not too disappointed. It's easier to fit a square front sight into a square rear sight. I had my rear Pro Operator installed today and I love the setup! The only way to install an Ameriglo rear is with a sight pusher. The gunsmith commented on how tight it was even with a pusher. Don't try it yourself with a hammer/drift!! Why spend $50 on a sight only to screw it up yourself?! The yellow and green contrast is awesome in the dark! I can pick up it up so quickly. The rear .180" and front .140" is the only way to go. I think if I went any smaller, like the .125" front I'd have a harder time aligning the front sight but this seems to be the best of both worlds for me.

Here they are side by side:

I'm amazed at how I lived with my stock sights for so long. The Ameriglo's rear sight is deeper so I can actually see the whole sights. My Glock sights when aligned right, I couldn't see all of the dot and that always bothered me. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I'd align the top of the rear with the top of the front. Anyone considering night sights or any type of upgrade should check out Ameriglo! They have non-night sight setups in the same dimensions. I'll post some more pics of the rears on my gun.

^^ike
Old 02-21-2010, 00:25   #16
ck1
Some Dude

Fly, the square front in a square notch is very cool, I just found I preferred more of a black outline with the dot.

I'd also like to pass on that if one chooses a plain rear there's no sight pusher needed (no vials to break), I've installed 4 different ones perfectly with a hammer and nothing more than a plastic square profile chopstick as a drift (wooden paint stirrer works ok too)!

Last edited by ck1; 02-21-2010 at 00:29..
Old 02-25-2010, 09:35   #17
ck1
Some Dude

So I installed my Pro Glo... It's awesome. Sucks that removing the Meprolight front was a PIA and the tritium vial and white surround melted once I got it hot enough to loosen the red loctite that was applied at the factory, but oh well, I won't be needing it anymore anyway.

These pics are lousy since they're taken with my iPhone in less than optimum lighting/focus conditions but here they are just so someone can kind of see... I have an Ameriglo pro series plain black serrated rear sight with a .180 wide notch (I don't like tritium rears, but that's just me, the Operators are the tritium version of the same sight in case you're wondering) - comes out to just about a perfect 40% light bar-to-front-sight-width ratio.
(I know an extra-wide .180 wide notch may seem crazy to some, but it's all in the math and what your eyes perceive, matching the .180 notch to the .140 front looks like what you see when you're looking through a common .150 wide rear notch at a .115 wide front blade... you're eyes center it perfectly, the front doesn't "swim", don't knock it 'till you tried it.)

(Achtung!- these pics don't show proper focus, makes the front look too small, way smaller than it looks in person! - and these are shown on a G17 in case you're wondering.)

Add a little sunlight, and holy cow that front jumps out.

I can already tell they're super fast to pick up and the added light bars/space around the front blade should lead to more precision out around 15-25 yards, not to mention that orang-ish red is not really a color found in nature/out-in-the-world so your eyes go right to it (I think of it kind of like a fiber sight you won't break with tritium in the middle for using at night).

Just want to say that Rick and Ameriglo rule, they're making sights with options for guys who are thinking above the fray of the stupid "who's sights are brightest?" arguments and looking for something more, and they're always a better deal money-wise too, I thank them for that.

I'll put some rounds downrange and post my impressions soon... For now though, my impression is "Get a set of these."

Last edited by ck1; 02-25-2010 at 19:55..
Old 02-25-2010, 12:46   #18
ck1
Some Dude

Ok, so thanks to having a range 5 minutes from my house, first range report didn't take long...

All shots/targets are off-hand shooting good ol' WWB 115gr FMJ from the local Wallymart. Got some errands and stuff to take care of today so I shot only 100rds and was at the range for maybe 30 minutes total.

First 10 rounds cold at 10 yards, shot bang, bang, bang, etc, 1 shot per second...

A little left, but it was probably just me, I was feeling pretty good about the first 10 so I pushed the target out a little further...

Here's the rest of the box (40rds) at 15 yards shooting the same way (again about 1 round per second or so), I was trying on purpose to NOT take my time... I shoot IDPA mostly so I was looking to get an idea on what these sights might do for me, this is NOT slow-fire by any means...).

Again, a little to the left, but my fault as usual... 1 flyer, otherwise just one big hole (but not too big... all zero's/A's).

I shot another box doing various rapid-fire from the draw drills... the front-sight-tracking was better than I've ever experienced before.

Here's a pic of approximately 30 rounds to the head back at 10 yards drawing from concealment. I did a mix of draw-to-1 shot, draw-to-double-tap, and some failure-to-stop drills (2 to the body COM, 1 to the head... that's where the other 20 rounds went, they all went through the hole I made previously, thus no pic needed)...
I used my iPhone Surefire Shot Timer App and averaged a 1.8s first shot with a .30 split time for subsequent shots which is already better than average for me, especially from concealment using my new favorite $12 Glock Sport/Combat holster.

Again, still left... but I'll take it, as normally for me at 10 yards, drills to the head like this aren't nearly as pretty...

Once I got back to the house I noticed that I had installed the front sight a hair crooked to the right, so that's good news as I fixed it and that should help some in moving my shots over to the right slightly.

My first impression after shooting these new sights exactly once and not taking a whole lot of time to do it is: far and away the best sights I've ever used, period.

I'm psyched and can't wait for some more practice and my first match using these (which won't be until at least 3/13 due to my work/travel schedule).

I can already tell, these are good, and worth a try... I feel like I improved after just shooting these once, and the groupings make it painfully obvious that I've got some grip/trigger/stance work to do to stop pulling to the left... it's NOT the sights that's for sure, they rock, in the hands of someone who can really shoot, like a GM these should be SUPER FAST, I'm still new to IDPA and as of yet am an unclassified shooter... these sights will help, not hurt, my progress I'm sure.

My match gun IS my carry gun, it's a 3rd gen G17 that has a Lone Wolf 3.5 connector in it and I've done the ubiquitous $.25 trigger job to it, otherwise it's stock (stock/factory 17lb recoil spring assembly), so after loading up +P Gold Dots, it's on my hip and I'm off to knock out my errands...

Last edited by ck1; 02-25-2010 at 23:59..
Old 02-25-2010, 19:53   #19
FlyfishermanMike

Thanks ck1 for your helpful additions and pics! Nice targets! I can usually get some decent groups but I have many more strays out there than you. Ameriglo is really the only way to go! It's amazing the difference with the .180" rear sight! I'm really, really happy that I went the ProGlo up front.
Old 02-25-2010, 20:05   #20
ck1
Some Dude

Thanks man.

These sights are a really good idea IMO, they look/work even better than I hoped they would.