Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2010, 00:22   #1
Fishin6061

Need to choose SD .357 ammo

Well I have joined the .357 club with a G32 and need to choose ammo. I can get ranger Tís from an LEO friend, but was also considering gold dots. What do yall think? Thanks
Fishin6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 00:29   #2
G-31
.357 Sig

I like to keep the top half full of MagSafe rounds and the bottom half FMJ.
Sig Sauer Club #108, Top Guns .357 Sig #109,
Heckler & Koch Club #110
G-31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 22:29   #3
skip a stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin6061 View Post
Well I have joined the .357 club with a G32 and need to choose ammo. I can get ranger Tís from an LEO friend, but was also considering gold dots. What do yall think? Thanks
I've had problems with the Speer GoldDots bullets setting back in the silver nickel plated brass. I usually only carry CorBon for defense conceal carry because they put a deep canalure in their bullets and crimp their brass into it virtually eliminating the possibility of any setback problems, however I have been carrying DoubleTaps in 125 and 147 grain because of the sheer amazing amount of speed they get out of the muzzle. I've only been using them recently beause of velocity and they use a bonded golddot bullet. That gives a good balance of penetration and expansion.
skip a stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 22:43   #4
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

DT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 00:25   #5
JBarbaresi

i have heard too many stories of peope receiving DT ammo that isn't loaded with Gold Dot bullets lately, don't know what's going on with the company but that's what been reported by buyers lately. You can't go wrong with factory GD ammo, its the choice of most police agencies who carry 357. bullet setback is another one of those fantasy "he said/she said" things. I've never experienced it and most people who claim its an issue have never personally experienced it either. Another I would recommend you look into is the Federal HST 125gr.
JBarbaresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 18:49   #6
hoffy

Experiment....

I have two XDs and they far prefer Remington yellow/green 125 HPs. Hotter than the Rangers, and a bit more muzzle flash at night, though it isn't as flashy as some(kind or purple rather than bright yellow or orange) . My SIG P239 prefers the Rangers. Honestly the diff is not that significant until you get out to 50 yards, and realistically, not many situations going to justify making a shot at that range. Both my XD chambers are tight, some of the cheap Speer TMJ stuff wont chamber, goes into the SIG. The Gold Dots work ok too, good bullet design, I have some, and will use it when I rotate my REM and WIN stuff into the backstop. Accuracy wise they are in the middle, and so far they chamber in the XDs, but I reload 90+% of what i shoot .
Old 02-27-2010, 22:49   #7
skip a stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarbaresi View Post
i have heard too many stories of peope receiving DT ammo that isn't loaded with Gold Dot bullets lately, don't know what's going on with the company but that's what been reported by buyers lately. You can't go wrong with factory GD ammo, its the choice of most police agencies who carry 357. bullet setback is another one of those fantasy "he said/she said" things. I've never experienced it and most people who claim its an issue have never personally experienced it either. Another I would recommend you look into is the Federal HST 125gr.
DoubleTap does indeed use GoldDot ammo. Because of two different types of GoldDot bullets being made (one shallow and one deep) has led some people to suspect that they aren't getting the genuine article, they are.

As far as bullet setback goes, if you own a 357 Sig take a mag full of Speer GoldDots measure them with a set of quality calipers and then cycle them through your weapon like I did when I wanted to test a new extractor I had recently replaced. Now measure them and see how they compare to your original measurements. It is beyond me why someone would disbelieve that a round like the 357 Sig with that tiny little bit of brass holding the actual bullet in place couldn't possibly have bullet setback problems.
skip a stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:20   #8
countryrebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip a stone View Post
DoubleTap does indeed use GoldDot ammo. Because of two different types of GoldDot bullets being made (one shallow and one deep) has led some people to suspect that they aren't getting the genuine article, they are.

As far as bullet setback goes, if you own a 357 Sig take a mag full of Speer GoldDots measure them with a set of quality calipers and then cycle them through your weapon like I did when I wanted to test a new extractor I had recently replaced. Now measure them and see how they compare to your original measurements. It is beyond me why someone would disbelieve that a round like the 357 Sig with that tiny little bit of brass holding the actual bullet in place couldn't possibly have bullet setback problems.
I have not measured any but I might have to try that and see what happens.
Old 02-28-2010, 19:03   #9
TreeTrooper
Shhhhh...

My agency shelved our Ranger-T ammo because of frequent ammunition-related failures (squib rounds, no crimp, missing primers, .40cal rounds in .357 boxes). We are now issued Speer 125gr Gold Dot for duty use. The Ranger T is to be expended for range use only.
Big Dawg #1175
Niner's Club #116
Pennsylvania Glocker #80
Top Gun 357 SIG #116
Sub Club #116
TreeTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote