Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:56   #21
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
I like the balance and feel of the 18.5" barrel.
Like the one you're holding in your avatar?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:00   #22
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
People over look the Maverick 88 but it really does have the optimum fire controls in my opinion too. (if you ever run a pistol grip stock)
Hell yeah. My only beef is that the mag release is still kind of a pain but oh well. My buddy just got an 870 w/ Spec Ops. Great gun but even that safety location isn't the greatest.

The BEST shotgun controls is on the Benelli Super Nova Tactical. With a pistol grip you can index the safety and mag release. It's probably the coolest pump I've ever seen. (minus the HUGE plastic forend)

I'll get one someday but I already have Mossberg extras ready to go.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:03   #23
Minnow

I had a 20" 590 and swapped it for a 18.5" 590. It makes a difference to me. The latter is a more compact and balanced package.
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:14   #24
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfam View Post
Like the one you're holding in your avatar?
Like this one:

Tactical Shotguns

Ok that's not an 18.5" barrel.

This one:

Tactical Shotguns
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:24   #25
David Armstrong

Quote:
What do you folks prefer?
For use in the home defense role, I prefer the 18" hands-down. IME you get a lighter, easier to maneuver firearm that will take care of pretty much anything you need done. It doesn't take much to slip a couple of extra rounds into the tube if needed.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:33   #26
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Quote:

This one:

Tactical Shotguns
Now that's a classy looking shotgun. No frills with some nice wood. I like that a lot. It's refreshing to take a break from black plastic from time to time.
Old 02-15-2010, 15:20   #27
vafish

Quote:
Now that's a classy looking shotgun. No frills with some nice wood. I like that a lot. It's refreshing to take a break from black plastic from time to time.
It's got one hidden frill.

The barrel is a contract over run heavy walled barrel with screw in accu chokes.

Heavy walled barrel on the left, factory 28" Vent Rib barrel on the right.

Tactical Shotguns

Last edited by vafish; 02-15-2010 at 15:22..
Old 02-15-2010, 17:16   #28
mixflip

Quote:
Like this one:

Tactical Shotguns
I agree the old school wood furniture is much better feeling than plastic and it just look classy and cool. Looks like something a 70's cop would have in his cruiser. Very nice 500! I'd buy that.

Do they make a mag extension for the 500? To make it flush with the barrel and give you +1 shot?
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 19:00   #29
vafish

Quote:
Do they make a mag extension for the 500? To make it flush with the barrel and give you +1 shot?
No,

The way the 500 barrel attaches to the mag tub prevents an extension being put on. You either go with the 5+1 shot 18.5" barrel or the 7+1 shot 20" barrel.
Old 02-15-2010, 20:22   #30
GAFinch

Quote:
I agree the old school wood furniture is much better feeling than plastic and it just look classy and cool. Looks like something a 70's cop would have in his cruiser. Very nice 500! I'd buy that.
The thing that really bugged me about the plastic furniture on Mossbergs is that there's no checkering on the grip, which sucks if your hand gets sweaty. I think that's why so many 500 owners keep looking into pistol grip stocks. Remington has the checkering, as well as the wooden Mossbergs.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 20:24   #31
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Woah, I was just posting how I was PISSED that Buds Gun Shop was sold out of the short barrel 88s and what do you know??? They're back up for $191 now.

I'm going to give it a shot.

I will keep my 500A and I wouldn't mind putting some wood on that piece. Have one classy looking shotgun in the safe. VAFish did you put that wood on there yourself?
Old 02-15-2010, 20:29   #32
GAFinch

Quote:
I will keep my 500A and I wouldn't mind putting some wood on that piece. Have one classy looking shotgun in the safe. VAFish did you put that wood on there yourself?
I've seen the wooden ones in a local gun shop once or twice, the 18.5" at least. I think they're just made in limited quantities.
Old 02-15-2010, 20:36   #33
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

On another note, if I may...

I was roaming around the gun shop today and was looking at a Browning BPS. Anyone have experience with these? Man that gun looked slick as hell with no ejection port. I think it was 5+1 with a 20" barrel? It ejects out of the bottom and has a top mounted safety (think mossberg).

My buddy was looking into a HD weapon and was asking me for advice. (I'm the local gun nut.) He is not a shooter and would probably only come to the range a few times a year. Also, has no pistol permit. I told him you can't go wrong with a pump shotgun. Only thing is... He's LEFTY. His wife is normal, I mean right handed. So I'm thinking this would be the perfect weapon for them. Reliable, simple controls, powerful, affordable, etc. Throw a limbsaver on it and fill it with reduced recoil 00 buck and he's good.

Just a thought.
Old 02-15-2010, 21:15   #34
GAFinch

I've looked into the Brownings. They seem to be right on par with Remington/Mossberg/Benelli and for southpaws are a good replacement for the Ithaca 37. Harder to find accessories than for Remington or Mossberg, IF he's planning to pimp it out.
Old 02-15-2010, 21:35   #35
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
I've looked into the Brownings. They seem to be right on par with Remington/Mossberg/Benelli and for southpaws are a good replacement for the Ithaca 37. Harder to find accessories than for Remington or Mossberg, IF he's planning to pimp it out.
Yeah I figured that. I see they aren't into "tacticool" stuff over at Browning. They are a sporting goods company. Honestly, I don't see my friend as a gun guy. I've brought him to the range once in all these years. I doubt he's going to get into pimping it out and staring at it every night. (Like me)

Probably just pick it up. Hit the range with wifey a few times and then stick it in the closet. Stock set up would be fine. I'm sure it would last him a lifetime.

I've never tried shooting lefty but I can't imagine it's fun with those shells flying past your face. Maybe it's not a big deal....
Old 02-16-2010, 07:34   #36
vafish

Quote:
...VAFish did you put that wood on there yourself?

No it came with a 28" vent rib barrel, it's the hunting gun. I bought the 18.5" barrel as a close out from Havlin Sales.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:01   #37
acftmech
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Hell yeah. My only beef is that the mag release is still kind of a pain but oh well. My buddy just got an 870 w/ Spec Ops. Great gun but even that safety location isn't the greatest.

The BEST shotgun controls is on the Benelli Super Nova Tactical. With a pistol grip you can index the safety and mag release. It's probably the coolest pump I've ever seen. (minus the HUGE plastic forend)

I'll get one someday but I already have Mossberg extras ready to go.
What he said:Tactical Shotguns
Old 02-17-2010, 14:07   #38
MavsX
The Dude Abides

i have a mossberg 18.5 my buddy has a 20 inch. i just dont like that it is so freaking long....i like the shorter one(thats what she said)
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 20:58   #39
longbowshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
The thing that really bugged me about the plastic furniture on Mossbergs is that there's no checkering on the grip, which sucks if your hand gets sweaty.
May I recommend a roll of black friction tape.
longbowshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 23:25   #40
Spen84107

I owned a 20" 7+1.. and couldnt' stop thinking about the 18" 5+1.. so I got rid of the prior and bought the latter. Now, I can't stop thinking about the 20" 7+1.

My solution?

By both. : )

But really. Grass is greener on the other side. Both have their advantages, and i'm not sure there is an adequate argument could really justify the purchase of one or the other.
40 S&W Club #8410
Kalashnikov Klub #5
Spen84107 is offline   Reply With Quote