SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-18-2010, 13:06   #1
Getwild2
Mac Aficionado

Hiding pistols throughout the house

My fiance and I are to be wed the end of September 2010. We're moving into a 3,400 sq. ft. house, which concerns me on the security front. While we will have a burglar alarm and a dog, those are obviously not full-proof means of security. I store my guns in a 600lb gun safe and that safe will be housed in the den at one end of the first floor. I'm considering locations to 'stash' handguns in the event my fiance or I need to get to them in a hurry. Typically I carry mine on me every waking moment, however sometimes when relaxing I take my rig off and place it on the nightstand or coffee table.

Please note, when I refer to 'stash', I either want a very inexpensive way to hide and secure the weapon, i.e. single weapon gun safe, or some sort of means to hide that no one could easily find. Our house has a middle floor, full finished basement and an upstairs. My thoughts were one in the bedroom middle floor, one at the opposite end (perhaps kitchen) and one downstairs. The upstairs will not be utilized at ALL unless we have guests, we're only 2 people and its a big house.

What have you guys done in your homes? What do you suggest? You should also note we have no children and at this time do not anticipate having children anytime soon.
S&W M&P 9c, 40c
Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III
Getwild2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 15:44   #2
Defender77

You could always just bring whatever pistol with you into whatever room you are gonna be in.

Speaking for myself only, I only use a few rooms in our place anyway and if I'm gonna be doing a back and forth thing (like cleaning, vacuuming) I'll just leave it in a general area where it is easiest to get to no matter where I am.
Defender77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 17:42   #3
dhoomonyou

Carry
Smith & Wesson Club # 711
Do not demand accomplishment from those with no talent.
dhoomonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 18:02   #4
Defender77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoomonyou View Post
Carry
Probably the best option next to mine

If the OP places guns throughout his house, what happens if there are visitors or visitors with kids...or repair people, etc.

Then you gotta remember where everything is and store them properly.

Or, suppose a burglar or home invader comes knocking while the OP is not at home or worse....while he's at home.

Now say he finds those guns.
Old 02-18-2010, 18:02   #5
RonaldG29
Noah's Hero

Just have one with you all the time and you will have no worries. I myself can't as I have a little critter running around investigating every cabinet and every drawer. Good luck!
RonaldG29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 18:09   #6
Getwild2
Mac Aficionado

Good point about hiding guns and repair people or burglars finding them. That's why I was leaning more towards bolt down quick access safes. 3 or so around the house in locations you wouldn't check might be a decent idea.

As for "carry", I do. However not 100% of the time I'm home. I bet few people carry 100% of the time they are home. Plus I was thinking more of my future non-carrying (yet) wife, if something were to arise while I was gone and she were downstairs when the alarm went off, she would have a gun nearby if need be.
S&W M&P 9c, 40c
Old 02-18-2010, 18:10   #7
Getwild2
Mac Aficionado

Thanks for your posts guys but I think the quick access safe is the way to go.
S&W M&P 9c, 40c
Old 02-18-2010, 21:00   #8
Defender77

Happy to help!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:00   #9
FAS1
GT Sponsor

Getwild2,

Here's what we have to offer. I hope you will consider our safe for your needs. This link leads you to a 25% discount for GT readers.

I don't have any kids in the house, but friends visit with theirs plus cleaning service and misc. repair people are needed from time to time. By using a fast access safe or two, you know your handgun(s) is always secure but very accessable. Good luck finding what works best for you.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1156669
Attached Thumbnails
Tactics and Training - Click for larger version  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"The Fast and Secure One"
Link to Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
FAS1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 13:52   #10
Kith

Get some 2x4's, plywood, drywall, spackle and paint.

Underneath of light switches (maybe 6 inches down) carefully cut a square hole in the wall a little bigger then the pistol.

build a square with the 2x4's, put a back on it with the plywood and screw it to the same stud the light switch box is screwed to above.

Put pistol and spare (full) mag in a plastic bag. Place in square.

Put a piece of drywall over, covering the hole.

Spackle, paint.

It now looks like the rest of the wall.

Gun is safely hidden, ready to go. Won't be accidentally found by neighbors, visitors, or children.

If you are ever in need, just punch out the wall where you know it is. (trust me, if you need it, punching the wall out will not be a problem) You keep it in the plastic bag so no dust gets in the gun when you punch the wall out.

Problem solved.
Kith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 14:01   #11
Dreamaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kith View Post
Get some 2x4's, plywood, drywall, spackle and paint.

Underneath of light switches (maybe 6 inches down) carefully cut a square hole in the wall a little bigger then the pistol.

build a square with the 2x4's, put a back on it with the plywood and screw it to the same stud the light switch box is screwed to above.

Put pistol and spare (full) mag in a plastic bag. Place in square.

Put a piece of drywall over, covering the hole.

Spackle, paint.

It now looks like the rest of the wall.

Gun is safely hidden, ready to go. Won't be accidentally found by neighbors, visitors, or children.

If you are ever in need, just punch out the wall where you know it is. (trust me, if you need it, punching the wall out will not be a problem) You keep it in the plastic bag so no dust gets in the gun when you punch the wall out.

Problem solved.
Whoa... that's hard core.
Dreamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 15:14   #12
Getwild2
Mac Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamaster View Post
Whoa... that's hard core.
LOL, that is pretty hard core and sweet! A little too much for me though, I shoot my guns regularly and I'd need to be able to go around to collect the ones I'm taking to the range. I like your line of thinking though, very cool.

Thanks FAS1, I will have to check that out!
S&W M&P 9c, 40c
Old 02-19-2010, 15:25   #13
Hedo1

I have a three level house. I keep my carry gun in the nightstand upstairs when not wearing it. My wife keeps her carry gun stowed in the kitchen well hidden in a cabinet, on the middle floor. Same place every time. If I was ever cornered in my basement, God help the home invader. That's where I store the rest of my guns! One is loaded and secured close by the safe. If I got time to charge up a few of the other ones he'll have a very bad day.
Old 02-19-2010, 17:13   #14
1 old 0311

Keeping one or two in different parts of the house is a good idea.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 22:06   #15
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getwild2 View Post
I'm considering locations to 'stash' handguns in the event my fiance or I need to get to them in a hurry.
Getwild,

First keep in mind that everything has to be thought out with children in mnd. That is can they get to them? Make sure they can't!

Now here is the best way I know.

1. Get a light switch box (one of those metal ones that go in the wall where the electric lines go. Kind of like a junction box.) Now you will find usually a J frame .38 will fit in if you cut the top of the switch box out so the gun rest muzzle up. Do so and add felt so the .38 won’t be scratched.
2. Get a plastic light switch face to match and a couple of light switch toggles.
3. Get some magnetic strips.
4. And some epoxy.

Make sure they match the light switch style of all your other switches.

Now cut into the sheetrock and install the box. Screw the box into the 2x4s behind the sheetrock (of course use a studfinder to find the 2x4s and cut to the side of them.) Epoxy the magnetic strips to the box AND the plastic light switch cover. Do this in a way so it cannot be seen from the sides.

Also epoxy the toggles on the plastic light switch cover. It would be nice if you can get the toggles and the pivots to work so the toggles do work up and down.

Once built you will now have an honest looking light switch that you can just grab the toggle and take the plastic switch cover off and grab the pistol.

These can be planted all over the house at heights kids can’t reach so well.

And there are other sneeky places I know I'm not talking about in this forum that are even better.

Deaf
Old 02-23-2010, 12:59   #16
Motown Fire
Everett

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoomonyou View Post
Carry

Well stated. I carry at home. The other guns that I don't carry are in the safe unless they are taking a hunting trip with me.
Old 02-23-2010, 13:14   #17
Motown Fire
Everett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
Getwild,

First keep in mind that everything has to be thought out with children in mnd. That is can they get to them? Make sure they can't!

Now here is the best way I know.

1. Get a light switch box (one of those metal ones that go in the wall where the electric lines go. Kind of like a junction box.) Now you will find usually a J frame .38 will fit in if you cut the top of the switch box out so the gun rest muzzle up. Do so and add felt so the .38 won’t be scratched.
2. Get a plastic light switch face to match and a couple of light switch toggles.
3. Get some magnetic strips.
4. And some epoxy.

Make sure they match the light switch style of all your other switches.

Now cut into the sheetrock and install the box. Screw the box into the 2x4s behind the sheetrock (of course use a studfinder to find the 2x4s and cut to the side of them.) Epoxy the magnetic strips to the box AND the plastic light switch cover. Do this in a way so it cannot be seen from the sides.

Also epoxy the toggles on the plastic light switch cover. It would be nice if you can get the toggles and the pivots to work so the toggles do work up and down.

Once built you will now have an honest looking light switch that you can just grab the toggle and take the plastic switch cover off and grab the pistol.

These can be planted all over the house at heights kids can’t reach so well.

And there are other sneeky places I know I'm not talking about in this forum that are even better.

Deaf
That's a cool idea. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-23-2010, 20:52   #18
CAcop

I say find places to put small but realtively quick opening safes near points of entry or rooms where you are likely to be without a gun.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 00:33   #19
Never Nervous

I use earth magnets secured behind my headboard, and under my computer desk. I have one in the kitchen under the cabinet and other rooms of the house. I went to Lowe's and bought magnets. Get the ones that are covered with rubber or some other material that will not scratch the gun. Earth magnets are the strongest and will hold the gun firmly. You will be able to pull it off the magnets if you need it. I use two magnets per gun, one on the front of the slide and one on the rear (especially with polymer frames.)

I had to drill holes in some of them to get the short screws to go through to secure them to the headboard and whereever. This is the best system that works for me. I started with the picture frames that the gun fit into but I never seemed to be near the pictures most of the time. Also, whenever I have pants on I am packing.

NN
Old 02-27-2010, 01:10   #20
Kith

Rare earth magnets.

Traditional ceramic magnets can be considered earth magnets.

The best rare earth magnet is made of neodymium-iron-boron

I've done business with this company in the past - great service/company

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=164

(link takes you right to rubber-coated magnets in the catalog)

The magnet idea is a good one, I like it.

ETA: an earth magnet and rare earth magnet are not the same thing. Your run of the mill ceramic magnet isn't very worthwhile. Just wanted to clarify what I said right above, it seemed to me like I was saying a ceramic magnet and a rare earth magnet were the same thing, and they are not.

A magnet composed of rare earth materials is much much stronger then the ceramic magnets you can get at your local radio shack. Beyond the neodymium-iron-boron combination, some also have Cerium, Lanthanum or Praseodymium. They are good magnets too. I have had issues with the Hydrogen rich magnets not performing up to snuff, but we might be moving beyond the worth of this kind of information to the thread. Safe to say any rare earth magnets you get will work and be awesome.

Do not cut or drill a rare earth magnet. The composition is plated, and once the plating is damaged the magnet starts to break apart. The rubber coated magnets will last you much longer, but once the rubber coating is damaged be careful in using it.

Care should be taken when using more then one rare earth magnet together. They snap together with enough force to not only damage themselves but to also hurt you, such as pinching your skin.

I still think the magnet idea is a damn good one though. I'm a little put out that I didn't think of it actually, for all the work I do with magnets...

Last edited by Kith; 02-27-2010 at 01:25..
Kith is offline   Reply With Quote