Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-25-2010, 23:52   #1
9mm +p+

To 5.45 or not?

I've got a chance to get a Polish Tantal for a really good price, I already know the stuff to look for before buying but my question is, is it really that great of a caliber? I've never fired a 5.45 so I know little about them other than waht I've read online. My other AK's are 7.62's, I love the idea of cheaper ammo and mags. So 5.45 owners are you glad you got yours?
Old 02-26-2010, 00:42   #2
gp35fn

Horrible weapons-stick to the 7.62x39mm, ignore the "poison bullet", longer range and greater accuracy, less recoil BS. LOL.
The Kalashnikov Klub
The Kalashnikov Klub
The Kalashnikov Klub
The Kalashnikov Klub
gp35fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:55   #3
mikeyU

I like my 5.45, go for it you won't regret it, cheap ammo, no recoil, and better accuracy at range. I would like a couple more rifles in this caliber.

Last edited by mikeyU; 02-26-2010 at 02:56..
mikeyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:42   #4
my762buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ View Post
I've got a chance to get a Polish Tantal for a really good price

Is it a century arms tantal with the mistakenly installed .223 barrel bore that causes the bullets to keyhole?
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36700

Gotta love century quality control.

They managed to improve the poison bullet effect whether or not you have an air gap at the tip and possibly
doubled barrel service life because of the lower pressure.
Simply ingenius.

Last edited by my762buzz; 02-26-2010 at 08:46..
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 13:54   #5
mikeyU

Quote:
Originally Posted by my762buzz View Post
Is it a century arms tantal with the mistakenly installed .223 barrel bore that causes the bullets to keyhole?
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36700

possibly
doubled barrel service life because of the lower pressure.
Simply ingenius.
I thought the Tantal had a short barrel life? maybe read it from a bad source. If it is longer that would be a nice surprise. My Tantal shots fine doesnt keyhole even when hot, I think its hit or miss with the keyhole factor, or they fixed the problem completely on newer ones. I still an wary and wont buy another century because of the issue and am going SLR with the next 74. Either way I do like my tantal alot and would like another ecspecially with a chromelined barrel.
mikeyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 17:20   #6
9mm +p+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyU View Post
I thought the Tantal had a short barrel life? maybe read it from a bad source. If it is longer that would be a nice surprise. My Tantal shots fine doesnt keyhole even when hot, I think its hit or miss with the keyhole factor, or they fixed the problem completely on newer ones. I still an wary and wont buy another century because of the issue and am going SLR with the next 74. Either way I do like my tantal alot and would like another ecspecially with a chromelined barrel.
It is a Century(my first question too), A friend has it, bought it new and it's still unfired in the box. I'm going to do the bullet test and look it over REAL good before I buy. It comes with 2 30rd Bulgy mags as well and the price is a steal! He tells me it's a 1-9" barrel? We'll see but I think I may heave the 5.45 bug anyways so a new 5.45 is gonna be in my future regardless more than likely.
gp35fn, that's a very nice collection you've got there! I love the plum one, just something abou that plum furniture, looks great!