Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:39   #1
mixflip

Thinking about buying a S&W M&P15-22?

So after some homework, I think I want to buy an M&P15-22? Definately looking for more of an AR trainer more than just a tacticool toy. Here is what I think I know so far...

Pro's - Very light weight. Almost exactly the same fire controls and placement of a real M4. All my AR mall ninja and Magpul koolaide stuff will hang off this gun too. The bolt release actually works on the M&P vs the Colt/Umarex. Newest models have threaded barrels for A2 flash hiders or cans. The mag changes are way better than on a 10/22. 2 stage trigger groups can be dropped right in the lower. Ammo is cheaper than 5.56mm.

Con's - Plastic receiver vs metal. Buffer tube is built into the receiver. History of ejector problems on the 1st run models and needing to be sent back to S&W for repairs but run great after? Barrels cant be swapped out for aftermarket barrels. $450 is alot for a .22 plinker.

I dont own an AR or an AR lower so a Spikes upper or CMMG 22 kit is not an option I want to consider. I also dont want to build up a 10/22 to look like an AR. All the controls are different and I have already been there and done that. I had fun with the 10/22 kits but its time to move on for me.

Am I missing anything? If you own this gun tell me the real world issues and praises of this gun before I commit 100% to buying it please.

I pretty much like this setup...
Rimfire Forum

Last edited by mixflip; 02-26-2010 at 03:47..
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:36   #2
Flipz

I suggest saving up more and getting the Spikes Tactical Dedicated .22lr Upper. You can find a cheap AR lower to put it on. This gives you the option of later on buying a 5.56 upper and then you have 2 guns in one. Just switch the uppers whenever you want to switch between 5.56 and .22lr.

If you wanted to go all out I would get the Spikes Tactical ST-22 Complete Rifle
http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...qao7k5e1oitor7

Then at a later date if you wanted to buy a 5.56 upper your ready to go. I know its a lot to spend, but you get what you pay for.
GSSF Member
Hornady LnL AP, 9mm & 45ACP

Last edited by Flipz; 02-26-2010 at 10:40..
Flipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:04   #3
Darkangel1846

Well my S&W AR22 works great.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:44   #4
mixflip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipz View Post
If you wanted to go all out I would get the Spikes Tactical ST-22 Complete Rifle
http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...qao7k5e1oitor7
I know its a lot to spend, but you get what you pay for.
$850 plus tax and FFL transfer..."its alot" is an understatement. Thats twice as much as an M&P15-22. I completely understand the concept of you get what you pay for but is that extra $400 really giving me more 22 plinking/training for the money than an M&P? $400 is not just a few bucks more. I am just a lowly state employee (with furloughs and no more OT) so $850 bucks on a .22 is alot of money to me.

Buying a lower then buying a dedicated upper is expensive any way you slice it and defeats the whole purpose of what I am wanting to do, which is save some money but still enjoy the features of an AR. I'd buy an upper in a heart beat if I already owned an AR but I dont, and I dont want to but an traditional AR right now. If I get a new AR it will be a next gen gas piston variant and I am not ready to go there yet.

Last edited by mixflip; 02-26-2010 at 11:48..
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:51   #5
Flipz

I completely understand where youre coming from. The price of everything has just sky-rocketed. Its hard enough to enjoy the sport we love when everything involved is draining our wallets.

Personally, and Im just speaking for myself, I always try and look at the long run. I know that one day I will want a .223/5.56 AR. But I also know that right now im really enjoying .22lr's. They are cheap and fun to shoot. They also enable me to save up some cash so that when the time comes I can purchase an AR. Thats why I look at it the way I do, I could spend a little more money now for a dedicated .22lr M4 from Spikes and later on when I save up more money again, just have to buy the upper of my choice.

But again, I do see your point and have heard good things about the M&P 15-22. I looked at purchasing one myself but decided on the Sig 522 instead. I believe that most of the extractor issues that were experienced by early adopters of the 15-22 have been resolved. The only 2 things I dont like about the 15-22 are, proprietary mags, and that its totally made out of polymer. Otherwise, its a fun gun to shoot.

Good luck in your purchase and please post the results.
GSSF Member
Old 02-26-2010, 14:46   #6
AZ Husker

Mine has paid for itself in ammo in three months. The kids love it and it keeps them away from my expensive toys. I've had no issues and it eats cheap Remington Golden bullets just fine.
Old 02-26-2010, 15:19   #7
Flipz

They said at Shot Show that they are releasing a Magpul MOE version with a threaded flash hider, Id look for that one if that is the look you are going for. Look on Youtube for the video that I think Nutnfancy did at their booth. They show the M&P 15-22 Magpul MOE edition. It comes with the MOE stock & grip, the Magpul MBUS sights, and a threaded flash hider. It might be a bit more expensive but if youre going to buy those pieces anyways might as well get the MOE addition which will probably be cheaper then adding all the Magpul stuff after you purchase. Just a thought.

Oh, and they havent been released yet but Magpul is coming out with their own vertical foregrip. I think its called the Magpul RVG. It looks pretty nice.

EDIT: Heres the video from Shot Show with the M&P 15-22 MOE Edition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF5Ri4aNbwE

It comes in at 1:30, enjoy.
GSSF Member

Last edited by Flipz; 02-26-2010 at 15:38..
Old 02-26-2010, 15:42   #8
CMG

I have two S&W 15-22s and no issues with either one... I have two centerfire ARs, but chose the S&W over a dedicated upper, because I hate conversions, and knew I'd end up with buying a new lower to go with the upper. Instead, I now have a pair of .22s that mimic my center-fires in the way they are setup.

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Good luck.
Old 02-26-2010, 15:56   #9
M2 Carbine

Quote:
Definately looking for more of an AR trainer more than just a tacticool toy
In just a few months my S&W M&P 15-22 has more than paid for itself in .223 ammo cost just teaching s few people to shoot the AR.
I have the S&W set up exactly like my AR's.

Several females were completely comfortable with the AR aftering running a bunch of magazines through my S&W M&P.

I've lost count of how any thousands of rounds have gone through the Smith.

Everyone, experienced shooters and new shooters, all like the rifle.

I do a good bit of low light laser and laser/light practice. With the Smith, standing in for thr AR, the noise level is within reasonable limits when practicing using the laser/light after dark.
M2 Carbine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 16:25   #10
EyeToEye

I originally purchased the 15-22 for my 11 yr old son but the whole family is now involved with it. It is a blast for the WHOLE family. It is our first introduction to the AR platform and has been well worth the enjoyment.

I to ruled out the more expensive options of uppers and lowers or just going with a straight 5.56 but decided on the 15-22 to begin with due to costs. I am glad I went this route as I never imagined how much fun it brings and the daughters and wife do not hesitate to go shooting now.

You can't go wrong with the 15-22.
EyeToEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 17:18   #11
DJ Niner

Mine came in last week, and I finally got it out to the range yesterday. First 120 rounds with no problems, then I switched to the cheap bulk-pack stuff and had a few failures to eject. Went back to the CCI Mini-Mags and no more problems. 200 rounds in all.

Light as a feather, and I'm trying different optics on it now. A good choice, all-in-all.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 18:00   #12
M2 Carbine

Quote:
then I switched to the cheap bulk-pack stuff and had a few failures to eject.
In addition to the S&W M&P I have the GSG-5 rifle and pistol, SIG 522, Ruger 10/22 rifle and Charger, Ruger 22/45 and Browning Buckmark.
All of them have one problem or another with the Wal Mart 550 bulk pack ammo.

I go through thousands of rounds of the bulk pack, so I just put up with the malfunctions.
M2 Carbine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 19:01   #13
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkangel1846 View Post
Well my S&W AR22 works great.

so does mine

$419 NIB
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 20:20   #14
WUSSCVR

I love mine, bought it in December '09 and have had 600 trouble free, cheap rounds run through it. Actually my buddy enjoyed it so much that he bought one today at the gunshow.

I dont mind the polymer rails because the feel real nice, sort of like the polymer Glocks are made out of.

I highly recommend the M&P over the Colt and Ruger, just my .02.

Rimfire Forum
Rimfire Club #113, Tactical Shotgun Club #113, 1911 Club #113
"Get yourself a Glock. Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol." (Tommy Lee Jones - U.S. Marshals)

Last edited by WUSSCVR; 02-27-2010 at 20:21..
WUSSCVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:17   #15
DJ Niner

Oooh, I really didn't need to see all that Magpul stuff.

I think you just cost me about a C-note in add-ons...

Nice rig!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:16   #16
WUSSCVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
Oooh, I really didn't need to see all that Magpul stuff.

I think you just cost me about a C-note in add-ons...

Nice rig!
Yea and it just keeps coming! Magpul MBUS on order.
Rimfire Club #113, Tactical Shotgun Club #113, 1911 Club #113
"Get yourself a Glock. Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol." (Tommy Lee Jones - U.S. Marshals)
WUSSCVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 15:29   #17
Flipz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WUSSCVR View Post
I love mine, bought it in December '09 and have had 600 trouble free, cheap rounds run through it. Actually my buddy enjoyed it so much that he bought one today at the gunshow.

I dont mind the polymer rails because the feel real nice, sort of like the polymer Glocks are made out of.

I highly recommend the M&P over the Colt and Ruger, just my .02.

Rimfire Forum
What scope is that? Looks great!
GSSF Member
Old 02-28-2010, 21:02   #18
DJ Niner

After the successful basic functioning test, I've bolted-on a few "upgrades" . Nice thing about a .22 that's used for recreation is I don't have be quite so serious about adding high-grade accessories. I can do something just for fun.

Rimfire Forum

Tru-Glo selectable red/green dot sight (circle-dot reticle) in a cheesy quick-release mount, basic black ladder-type rail covers, a Brownell's flash suppressor adapter for plain-barrel AR-style rifles with an old A1 FS on it, and an ambi Ergo grip. Big step up in feel and (hopefully) shootability.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 02-28-2010 at 21:14..