GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 23:22   #1
Tang419
Glock is GUUD
 
Tang419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cana, Virginia
Posts: 1,664
Mossberg 930 vs Benelli M4

I've always been a Mossberg fan, but been toying with the idea of getting a Benelli. Im just curious if anyone has compared them side by side.

Pics welcome ofcourse ~!
__________________
Venturing off into the Gen 4 unknown with my G19 !
Tang419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 23:26   #2
WellArmedSheep
NRA Member
 
WellArmedSheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ala-freakin'-bama
Posts: 3,971
If you can afford a Benelli get it.
__________________
IDPA/USPSA/3 Gun Junkie

Jack of all trades, master of none.
WellArmedSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 23:32   #3
Tang419
Glock is GUUD
 
Tang419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cana, Virginia
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellArmedSheep View Post
If you can afford a Benelli get it.
Then thats what I will do. I wanted the collpasible stock, but they are going for $500 on gun broker I will deal with the fixed pistol grip style.


The only other thing I cant decide, Desert Camo or Black My wife is going to kill me. I just bought a Remington Sendero and a G39 here shortly after. If I can just get it to the safe without her seeing it...lol
__________________
Venturing off into the Gen 4 unknown with my G19 !

Last edited by Tang419; 02-27-2010 at 23:34..
Tang419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 23:51   #4
mixflip
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,673
I have always advocated folks get what the heart desires...if you are already leaning towards the Benelli and can obviously afford it (you just bought 2 other guns you said?) then just go for the Benelli and dont look back.

I just bought a Benelli SuperNova tactical pump about 4 hours ago and I absolutely love Benellis now.

As for the M4. The ARGOS system is obviously top shelf technology. I just bought the Mossberg 930 SPX about 3 weeks ago and absolutely love it. It cycles cheap low brass WalMart bulk birdshot like water which makes for a very fun day out in the desert. And cheap to shoot. A bulk pack of 100 is only about $21 at my area WalMart.

The only negative issue with the Benelli is that I have seen the M3 Super 90 malfunction with low brass birdshot. OO-buck or heavy field loads only. That can get expensive but hey you are not buying it for shotgun plinking fun, you are buying it for serious combat or home defense right? Thats what the M4 is built for.

The 930 SPX is built off basically a bird hunting gun receiver so of course it should cycle birdshot well. I personally have no need for the collapsible stock since I dont wear body armor for home defense or when plinking but would still like to have one so the wife and kids could adjust to shoot it.

Plus the 930 SPX gives me all the tacticool feel & function I need at a decent price of $695 out the door. If I were richer of course I'd splurge on a $1500 shotgun, but I am just a blue collar worker trying to live under my means during this economic recession.

Good luck with the Benelli!

Last edited by mixflip; 02-27-2010 at 23:53..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 00:18   #5
Tang419
Glock is GUUD
 
Tang419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cana, Virginia
Posts: 1,664
Trust me, Im a blue collar guy who's desire most of the time get him in trouble. I've always wanted a Benelli and since I sold my evil black rifle, Im looking to put that towards the Benelli. Usually for me, new guns have to be a sacrifice for the lesser wanted ones.

Yes the Benelli will be my HD gun. I talked my father in law into buying a Benelli SBE when he was looking for a new hunting shotgun, and he loves his. His previous dove/turkey gun was a Remmy 1187.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
I have always advocated folks get what the heart desires...if you are already leaning towards the Benelli and can obviously afford it (you just bought 2 other guns you said?) then just go for the Benelli and dont look back.

I just bought a Benelli SuperNova tactical pump about 4 hours ago and I absolutely love Benellis now.

As for the M4. The ARGOS system is obviously top shelf technology. I just bought the Mossberg 930 SPX about 3 weeks ago and absolutely love it. It cycles cheap low brass WalMart bulk birdshot like water which makes for a very fun day out in the desert. And cheap to shoot. A bulk pack of 100 is only about $21 at my area WalMart.

The only negative issue with the Benelli is that I have seen the M3 Super 90 malfunction with low brass birdshot. OO-buck or heavy field loads only. That can get expensive but hey you are not buying it for shotgun plinking fun, you are buying it for serious combat or home defense right? Thats what the M4 is built for.

The 930 SPX is built off basically a bird hunting gun receiver so of course it should cycle birdshot well. I personally have no need for the collapsible stock since I dont wear body armor for home defense or when plinking but would still like to have one so the wife and kids could adjust to shoot it.

Plus the 930 SPX gives me all the tacticool feel & function I need at a decent price of $695 out the door. If I were richer of course I'd splurge on a $1500 shotgun, but I am just a blue collar worker trying to live under my means during this economic recession.

Good luck with the Benelli!
__________________
Venturing off into the Gen 4 unknown with my G19 !
Tang419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:49   #6
frankr
Senior Member
 
frankr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania
Posts: 581
If your heart is set on the Benelli then you should get it even if you have to wait a few months longer until you can save the extra money. If you don’t then you will always be comparing what ever you get to the Benelli. Just like mixflip I also have the Mossberg 930 SPX and for $657 out the door it has everything I would expect a tactical home defense shotgun to have. My 930 SPX is chambered for 12 gauge 2 ¾ and 3” that functions flawlessly with target loads, to magnum loads and slug loads. The magazine capacity is 7+1 and each 930 SPX comes with factory mounted Picatinny rail and LPA/M16 style Ghost Ring sights, Every 930 SPX even comes with a set of specially designed spacers for horizontal or vertical adjustment angel of the stock for a custom feel. I'm retired so for me a great value at $657. mixflip here I go agan. If you what to see the gun in action check out mixflip’s range review video. Good luck with what ever gun you get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9uNb...eature=related
__________________
Frank
frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 13:31   #7
Tang419
Glock is GUUD
 
Tang419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cana, Virginia
Posts: 1,664
The only thing I dont understand about the Benelli, is how does it only hold 4, with a tube that long ? Does it have a "plug" in it ?
__________________
Venturing off into the Gen 4 unknown with my G19 !

Last edited by Tang419; 02-28-2010 at 13:40..
Tang419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 13:52   #8
mixflip
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,673
I asked the same thing at a gun store. He told me that the extension you see isnt even an extension at all. Its just for looks. You can buy a real extension but it will cost you some serious cash. I looked close at it and he was absolutely right. The end piece was just a spacer tube and not an extension at all. Why they did this I have no idea?

For the price you have to pay you'd think an extension would be included? Thats my only gripe with the M4. Other than that its still a sexy beast.

Last edited by mixflip; 02-28-2010 at 13:53..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 13:55   #9
Tang419
Glock is GUUD
 
Tang419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cana, Virginia
Posts: 1,664
mixflip, thank you for all your help. I was a bit "peeved" by not being able to get the Skeleton Collapsible stock, but another $135 for the piece to bring it up to full capacity ???!!!

Mix, your youtube review was great, and Im going to go with the Mossberg. I have a 500 that I have owned for over ten years, it was the first gun I ever purchased for myself. So it looks like its going to have a Semi-Auto brother soon.

But can you do the Benelli loading trick with the mossberg ? You know, put a shell on the lifter, to get an extra shell in there ?

Quote:
Load up 7 in the mag tube, with the bolt CLOSED. Then retract the bolt rearward just enough to drop one on the lifter, and finally one in the chamber. Let the bolt slide shut.

The key is to retract the bolt rearward enough to place the shells on the lifter and in the chamber, without reaching the bolt's rear locking position. It's difficult to do with a shot timer running or in competition reloading situation. It is a nice technique to master when you are told to "load and make ready"!

Next question, how does the M1 Super 90 compare ? Ive seen some great deals on those.
__________________
Venturing off into the Gen 4 unknown with my G19 !

Last edited by Tang419; 02-28-2010 at 14:08..
Tang419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 00:36   #10
mixflip
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr View Post
mixflip here I go agan. If you what to see the gun in action check out mixflip’s range review video. Good luck with what ever gun you get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9uNb...eature=related
Lol. Your my official PR dept. here at Glock Talk. I promise to kick you back some gifts if I ever I start getting sponsors like Nutnfancy.
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:13   #11
frankr
Senior Member
 
frankr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Lol. Your my official PR dept. here at Glock Talk. I promise to kick you back some gifts if I ever I start getting sponsors like Nutnfancy.
Ha,Ha,Ha, thank you. mixflip I read a few forums and it maybe just me but ever since your field strip videos were posted on Youtube I’ve been seeing fewer and fewer threads talking about problems with the 930 SPX. I think most, if not all problems people are having with their automatic shotgun are due to improper maintenance. I just can’t imagine paying up to and even over a $1,000 for a comparable shotgun when ours will shoot just as good plus have some great factory installed extras. And our guns as you are will aware of will shoot the $21.00 dollar 100 shell value packs from Wal-Mart all day long. The Mossberg 930 SPX is just an all around great value. Sorry for going on and on again. Stay safe.
__________________
Frank
frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 13:33   #12
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!
 
ScrappyDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,599
Another thing to consider : for me in Jersey we can't have autoloading shotguns with a pistol grip. The whole deal with the M4 is that fancy tactical stock. The 930 SPX I have is the regular stock model. So I couldn't really even consider the Benelli M4. I really wanted the M2 by but my 930 SPX is more versatile and I'm as happy as i would be with the M2 at half price ( better than half cause i got a plain soft case, 3 boxes of different shells, a hoppes cleaning kit , and tax )

if I decide to add a pump I'll probably follow mixflips well thought out strategy and fulfill my Lamborghini/Ferrari I mean Benelli fix with the pump synthetic Super Nova.

Cannot stress how awesome the 930 SPX , regardless of price. The price is even more gravy. It's like having a Hummer H1A and a Corvette but paying for a Cobalt.
__________________

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:37.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,329
406 Members
923 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42