Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:53   #21
mixflip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiNNiK View Post
Hammer forged barrels.
Hammer forged barrels? Dang it I thought I covered everything. That is good to know, thanks. Now I have to add that bit if info on the video as a pop up annotation.

Last edited by mixflip; 03-04-2010 at 02:53..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:56   #22
frankr

mixflip, great looking gun and as always great video's. But my number one shotgun for home protection is my 930 SPX. Went to the range yesterday for fun shooting and of the four boxes in the low brass Federal 100 shell value pack we get at Wal-Mart I shot three boxes from my shoulder and the last box from my hip. Guess what. Your correct, not one malfunction. Good luck with your new shotgun and keep posting your videos. Count to date, 350 shells shot, malfuntions 0

Last edited by frankr; 03-04-2010 at 05:01..
frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:24   #23
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

frank and mix, quick question. Do either of you have an , dare I say, Upgraded? barrel for the 930 SPX? I don't mean upgraded as in better... I mean, maybe, bigger/longer for different applications? I want to use my 930 as my tactical shotgun / HD weapon but also my "primary" shotgun ... and seeing as it's my only shotgun and it seems the next I purchase will also be a tactical model (The Benelli) and I'm not buying a new barrel for THAT mofo, I'd like to consider and maybe get some ideas/options for buying a new barrel for the Mossberg so I can increase its versatility...

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks gents.

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:43   #24
frankr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyDoo View Post
frank and mix, quick question. Do either of you have an , dare I say, Upgraded? barrel for the 930 SPX? I don't mean upgraded as in better... I mean, maybe, bigger/longer for different applications? I want to use my 930 as my tactical shotgun / HD weapon but also my "primary" shotgun ... and seeing as it's my only shotgun and it seems the next I purchase will also be a tactical model (The Benelli) and I'm not buying a new barrel for THAT mofo, I'd like to consider and maybe get some ideas/options for buying a new barrel for the Mossberg so I can increase its versatility...

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks gents.
ScrappyDoo I have the factory installed 18.5 barrel only but I see no reason why you would not be able to put any Mossberg 930 barrel on your SPX. The only difference between the 930 SPX and a field grade 930 is the finish, sights, magazine 2 shot extension and Picatinny rail. You should be able to remove your SPX barrel and slip on your hunting barrel, the finish will be different and you may have to go with a shorter magazine spring and end cap depending if your limited to the number of shells your gun can be loaded with when hunting in your state. You would also have to remove the rear ghost ring sight, but there should be room to look down the picatinny rail to the front bead of your hunting barrel. Hope this helps. mix may have more information.

Last edited by frankr; 03-04-2010 at 10:49..
frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:43   #25
mixflip

I am not 100% sure but I just looked at Mossbergs catalog magazine and there are tons of 930 hunting gun variations for duck, dove, turkey, ect. Since th eSPX is essentially based off a semi-auto hunting gun I dont see why any of those barrels wouldnt fit the SPX. Call or email Mossberg before you actually buy one just to be sure.

The only issue I can see is that your SPX has ghost ring sights. If you swap in a hunting barrel with a vent rib and bead sight. You will have to remove your rear ghost ring sight (which is easy) and either go with a holosight mounted on the picatinny rail or remove the picatinny rail all together and go 100% hunter style.

Also as Frank mentioned, you will probably need to buy a standard mag cap and a shell limiter dowel (or make your own if you are cheap like me) just to keep the Game Warden happy.

Last edited by mixflip; 03-04-2010 at 10:46..
Old 03-04-2010, 10:45   #26
blaster_54738

well here it is.

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

now just to order the Nordic +2 extension and top rail for maybe an eotech and it'll be done

Last edited by blaster_54738; 03-04-2010 at 10:46..
blaster_54738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:55   #27
frankr

blaster-54738 Great looking gun thank you for posting your pictures and I wish you the best of luck. Stay safe.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:10   #28
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
After owning Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s I would choose the Benelli Supernova as my next shotgun purchase.

I.M.O./E. Tactical stocks are for combat only and I would choose the conventional stock for fexibility.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:39   #29
Apocalypse_Now
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster_54738 View Post
thought about it if somebody sold them around here
My bedside gun is a Mossberg 500 18 inch that I have been shooting and beating the h#ell out of for 25 years. No disappointments
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. ... Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible instrument of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Tench Coxe 1788.
Apocalypse_Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 13:37   #30
mixflip

Nice choice! Mine was a little tight at first but it smooths out after breaking it in.

I love the comfort tech feature in my stock and I dont think I can justify swapping it out.

I am on the hunt for a mag extension myself. I think I may go with a TacStar so I can beat it up a little and not cry if I scratch it. Nordics are works of art.

As far as a top rail? I am probably going with a Mesa Tactical rail & side saddle combo. Expensive but wont get stripped threads after years of use so its worth the extra bucks I think.
Old 03-04-2010, 17:03   #31
SiNNiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster_54738 View Post
now just to order the Nordic +2 extension and top rail for maybe an eotech and it'll be done
Nordic is who I went with, except I got the +3 due to a brain fart.

Glad I did though, once I send my barrel to King Armory for their Breach/Brake job, it'll even things up nice and pretty and I'll have 7+1 capacity.

I also got Nordic's teflon coated follower, nice although I wish it came in different colors.

Don't forget the barrel clamp, even though you probably won't need it for +2, they have a little rail that attaches to it for a spiffy place to mount a light, or a cup holder, or something.
SiNNiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 17:10   #32
SiNNiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
I am on the hunt for a mag extension myself. I think I may go with a TacStar so I can beat it up a little and not cry if I scratch it. Nordics are works of art.

As far as a top rail? I am probably going with a Mesa Tactical rail & side saddle combo. Expensive but wont get stripped threads after years of use so its worth the extra bucks I think.
Just curious, why would you "go for it" on the side saddle and cheap out on the mag extension?

Also, some guys were having problems with side saddles on the SNT's where it was stripping out the threads in the receiver, I forget what the problem was, but it seems like it was a specific brand of side saddle and the screws were wrong.

I'll try to find it, anyway what they did to "fix" it was to drill out the holes on the top of the receiver and install steel inserts.
Old 03-04-2010, 17:15   #33
SiNNiK

One more thing, the action in the SNT is long but butter smooth.

It's probably, for me at least, the most exciting thing about shooting the SNT is working the action and loading another round.

I just picked up some 3.5" Remington Mag Express 00 Buckshot for the next range trip, just because I can.

Old 03-04-2010, 17:31   #34
blaster_54738

I was looking at the Mesa rail/saddle combo and thats what worried me was the weight applied to those small holes. i dont know how tight the shells fit in the holder but could yanking one out cause any problems?
blaster_54738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 19:47   #35
SiNNiK

This was the problem.

Quote:
Yeah these side saddles are great. I didn't strip the screws when installing them. They began to walk themselves out with blue loctite on them at my last 3 gun match. So i got home and tightened them back up. Only about 2-3 threads actually make it into the receiver and wouldn't tighten any further it would then just spin in the hole. Therefore meaning my receiver is now stripped out. I guess from recoil somehow worked the screws loose. The gun has over 2,000 rounds thru it since the Mesa saddle was installed. So basically now I have only 3 screws holding this thing in. I went out shooting today and got about 75 rounds down the pipe, no problem. On my last box of ammo, middle of shooting about 3 rounds into it, the whole side saddle comes right off. I get home and look at this thing and try putting the screws in without the rail on there and they turn in fine but u can pull them out with your hand. I get my factory rail and screws w/ washers out and hand thread them in without the rail and they go in no problem. Then I install them on the gun with the rail and its rock solid. U can't even pull it off. Sao basically only the first few threads in my receiver are stripped out, since the factory screws go in further past the stripped part. The Mesa rail is taller and uses longer screws but they dont make enough contact with the M4 receiver. Mesa recommended installing Helicoils and having the receiver retapped, but does anyone know someone that can accomplish this, or should I just leave the facory one on there?
I hope I can link the source without getting in trouble.

Link.
Old 03-04-2010, 22:01   #36
mixflip

Maybe I dont fully understand the Mesa setup, but I thought the mesa side saddles mount in the reciever pin holes with non-walking pins. Essentially a bolt with flared nuts on both ends.

How is anything getting stripped in the reciever?

Last edited by mixflip; 03-04-2010 at 22:01..
Old 03-04-2010, 22:20   #37
IBreakStuff

Rem 870P, or Moss 590A1. Built to last and huge after market support.
Old 03-04-2010, 23:49   #38
SiNNiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Maybe I dont fully understand the Mesa setup, but I thought the mesa side saddles mount in the reciever pin holes with non-walking pins. Essentially a bolt with flared nuts on both ends.

How is anything getting stripped in the reciever?
The holes tapped into the top of the receiver. There are little plastic pieces that you pop out (from the inside) in case you wanted to mount a rail (or a side saddle that utilizes them), those are the ones that were getting stripped.
Old 03-05-2010, 00:03   #39
mixflip

Oh ok so the whole system works by bolting down the tiny top screws and no trigger housing pins? That sucks! Looks like I wont be getting the Mesa combo.
Old 03-05-2010, 00:03   #40
SiNNiK

Another instance of stripped receiver.

Link.