Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-04-2010, 13:11   #1
PastorDan

870 Barrel Options

I am new to the topic of tactical/defensive shotgun. I own a Rem 870 express and have recently replaced the stock and foregrip to fit my taste and function a bit better. I own 2 barrels for this gun a longer vent rib with a mod choke and a smooth bore short slug barrel with standard blade sights.
The vent rib is way to long for my in home use, but the slug barrel does not pattern shot in a way I am comfortable with (I am guessing because it has not choke)
My question is what options are out there to help remedy this issue. Money is an issue but I will spend what is reasonable if I am confident that it will serve the needed purpose.
PastorDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 13:21   #2
glock2619
Work in Progres

Hi Pastor Dan,

First, welcome to Glocktalk. You'll get some good answers to your questions here (mostly below my post).

On your issue, I would think it would be worth it to try some Federal buckshot that uses a "Flite control" wad. I've heard good things about it keeping a better group for people. Hopefully smarter people than I can come along and verify this.

What choke does your slug barrel have? I believe my similar barrel has an improved cylinder choke. It works just fine (for me) with plain old Federal 4Buck. YMMV.

That said, how bad does yours pattern? At what distance? What are you using currently for a load? What choke is in your gun. These types of questions might help people better diagnose what you have going on.

Again welcome.

Edit: Here's the 00Buck from them that would probably work. They also have the same load in 4Buck.
http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...ot.aspx?id=909

Last edited by glock2619; 03-04-2010 at 13:26..
glock2619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 14:07   #3
aippi

The first question would be is your slug barrel rifled? If that is case then it has no choke and will not pattern buckshot. If it is a smooth bore it is an I/c choke and is going to pattern the same as any 18.5" I/c barrel you get.

Next is since money is an issue then the Remington factory barrel - 18.5 Parkerized Police barrel with bead sight and a fixed I/C choke is the best value out there at $101 on the Remington parts list or as little as $98 from Remington parts Dealers (like me)
Or, if he has to match the Express finish then the same barrel in the Express finish is $134 from Remington.

Since you want an HD barrel, pattern is not important at close ranges found inside homes and building so getting another barrel is not an issue if your 20" barrel is a smooth bore. If you want a tighter pattern then there is an $18.5 that is threaded for Rem Choke and comes in a matte finish with one modified tube and sells for $148 or an 18.5" police barrel, parkerized with factory installed Meprolight tritium bead and a fixed Modified choke for $148. You can find all these barrels on the accessories page of www.aiptactical.com and they are less then factory prices and some are factory new Gun Smith Take offs and are far less, for example, the 185 matte is $134 from Remington but $120 on that web site as it is a Gun Smith take off.

But again, if your slug barrel is smooth bore then don't waste money on another barrel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 14:57   #4
Devils Haircut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
The first question would be is your slug barrel rifled? If that is case then it has no choke and will not pattern buckshot. If it is a smooth bore it is an I/c choke and is going to pattern the same as any 18.5" I/c barrel you get.

Next is since money is an issue then the Remington factory barrel - 18.5 Parkerized Police barrel with bead sight and a fixed I/C choke is the best value out there at $101 on the Remington parts list or as little as $98 from Remington parts Dealers (like me)
Or, if he has to match the Express finish then the same barrel in the Express finish is $134 from Remington.

Since you want an HD barrel, pattern is not important at close ranges found inside homes and building so getting another barrel is not an issue if your 20" barrel is a smooth bore. If you want a tighter pattern then there is an $18.5 that is threaded for Rem Choke and comes in a matte finish with one modified tube and sells for $148 or an 18.5" police barrel, parkerized with factory installed Meprolight tritium bead and a fixed Modified choke for $148. You can find all these barrels on the accessories page of [URL="http://www.aiptactical.com"]www.aiptactical.com[/URL] and they are less then factory prices and some are factory new Gun Smith Take offs and are far less, for example, the 185 matte is $134 from Remington but $120 on that web site as it is a Gun Smith take off.

But again, if your slug barrel is smooth bore then don't waste money on another barrel.
^^^Listen to this guy!
Devils Haircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 15:10   #5
Austinite

If the short barrel does indeed have an IC choke (and no rifling) and the patterns are too wide for your liking, try Federal's buckshot with the Flite Control wads. This load will tighten your patterns considerably.
Austinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 16:50   #6
PastorDan

Thanks All

Thanks to all for your post, I may not have to replace my barrel after all, it is the factory smooth barrel and I just assumed that it had no choke, but hearing about some alternate loads I think now it will just be a matter of changing the sights on what I have now to ghost rings I like them much better, thanks again
PastorDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 18:12   #7
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorDan View Post
Thanks to all for your post, I may not have to replace my barrel after all, it is the factory smooth barrel and I just assumed that it had no choke, but hearing about some alternate loads I think now it will just be a matter of changing the sights on what I have now to ghost rings I like them much better, thanks again
Loads from Remington, Winchester, Federal (and others) will probably pattern differently from your barrel. (Just like ice cream. . . . everybody doesn't like the same flavor. That's why they make chocolate, vanilla and strawberry!)

I suggest getting a couple of boxes (at least) of each of the popular 00B or 000B rounds, and see how they pattern in YOUR scattergun.
I also don't rely on just the 00 or 000 Buck.
#4 Buck has been used for years, too. (More pellets per shell.)

Yes, the Federal 00B with Flite-Control Wad is an excellent round, albeit more expensive than most of the others.

Lastly, welcome to GT!

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barrels, shotgun glock remington