Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:35   #1
max pain

Idpa

What is the typical round count I will need for a segment in a IDPA match? I would like to take my 1911 which holds 7rds and have 4 mags on me and one in the gun so thats only 35rds total will that get me through?

Never forget Mark Wilson- Tyler, Texas
max pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:39   #2
Wash-ar15

I think 18 rds per stage is the max
Wash-ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 20:54   #3
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash-ar15 View Post
I think 18 rds per stage is the max
Correct, Sort of.

Eighteen (18) is the maximum REQUIRED round count - unless limited you are free to shoot up to division capacity - for SSP that's thirty-one (31).

In any semi-auto division you are only allowed one (1) magazine in the firearm and two (2) on the belt. An extra "barney" magazine is allowed on the belt (as I recall?) or pocket. A "Barney" is used to chamber a round upon "load and make ready" and is empty before the CoF is started.
Old 03-08-2010, 21:02   #4
max pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
Correct, Sort of.

Eighteen (18) is the maximum REQUIRED round count - unless limited you are free to shoot up to division capacity - for SSP that's thirty-one (31).

In any semi-auto division you are only allowed one (1) magazine in the firearm and two (2) on the belt. An extra "barney" magazine is allowed on the belt (as I recall?) or pocket. A "Barney" is used to chamber a round upon "load and make ready" and is empty before the CoF is started.
Well if I have two mags and one in the gun 21rds total I guess I better not miss LOL

Never forget Mark Wilson- Tyler, Texas
max pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:40   #5
A6Gator

You'll have 22 rds available. Three mags w/7 and one in the pipe. That's what the "barney" mag is used for. If you get the 8 rd mags (I've had best luck w/Wilson 47D and Chip McCormick Power Mags, I've heard good things about the Wilson ETM) it gives you an additional 3 rds total. With a 1911, you're shooting CDP class, at a match, you'll need to declare whether you're using a 7 or 8 round mags and must use those throughout the match.

Yes, you've got fewer rounds than the SSP or ESP guys, so make your shots count. Also, think the stage through and figure out when your reloads should occur and when you may have the flexibility to make up a shot. CDP makes you think a bit more, but you get a bigger hole when it comes close to the line....

Last edited by A6Gator; 03-09-2010 at 05:45..
A6Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34   #6
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

I'd recommend picking up some 8 round magazines if you could. 18 is the maximum required rounds per stage as already pointed out. However, 16 round stages are common and with 7+1, you'll be required to make an extra reload over those using 8 round magazines.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:56   #7
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6Gator View Post
CDP makes you think a bit more, but you get a bigger hole when it comes close to the line....
Also makes it easier to knock down the poppers. I shot my first match last Sat., and the guys using 9mm sometimes had to hit them 3-4 times to knock them over. 1 shot each with 230 gr .45.

And yeah, get some 8 rounders.

Last edited by HexHead; 03-09-2010 at 08:56..
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote