Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2010, 21:18   #1
ctaggart

Night sights on an AR, your thoughts/experiences

So, I'm finishing up my build for duty use and was thinking about adding a front night sight to the build. I have the TruGlo Tritium/Fiber optic in mind.

My thoughts are that I'll my TLR-1 mounted at 6 O'Clock under the forearm will illuminate the fiber optic brightly enough so that it will be easily recognizeable.

My concern is durability. I really don't like exposed fiber optics because I feel they're succeptable to being bumped and knocked loose.

Discuss.
Old 03-15-2010, 21:33   #2
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Get an Aimpoint.

In the unlikely event it dies, if you're swapping rounds in the dark with tritium/fiberoptics you'll be blind past the first shot anyways at the level of light you can pick them up, and firing at muzzle flashes.

You can turn an Aimpoint up and down........can't with tritium/fiberoptic.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 21:59   #3
ctaggart

I'm not looking for an optic, just an illuminated front sight post. I can't add an optic to my rifle.
Old 03-16-2010, 00:19   #4
steve1911

Troy Tritium Battlesights, would be a good choice.

1911club#410
Old 03-16-2010, 01:14   #5
MStarmer
In Jail...

My experience having a tritium front (kind of bulky) is it's fine if you have no weapon light. As soon as you illuminate you loose the glow and it's not likely to be seen again after a flash with a light or a round going off. I ended up selling mine and just sticking with the light.
Old 03-17-2010, 00:22   #6
GenoTac Ind.
|KYDEX GEAR>

Why can't you add an optic to your rifle?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:18   #7
MStarmer
In Jail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by g30another600r View Post
Why can't you add an optic to your rifle?
Probably policy.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:50   #8
ctaggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStarmer View Post
Probably policy.
That's correct, it's policy. Only the guy who's on the SERT team can have an optic and he uses an EoTech(and I'm ok with that). I just purchased a Truglo Tritium/Fiber Optic sight from CheaperThanDirt. I'll let you know how I like it. Here's a pic.
Black Rifle Forum

For what it's worth, we use quality Black Hills ammunition and I have no problem with muzzle flash when doing a night shoot, as mentioned previously in this thread.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:05   #9
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaggart View Post
So, I'm finishing up my build for duty use and was thinking about adding a front night sight to the build. I have the TruGlo Tritium/Fiber optic in mind.

My thoughts are that I'll my TLR-1 mounted at 6 O'Clock under the forearm will illuminate the fiber optic brightly enough so that it will be easily recognizeable.

My concern is durability. I really don't like exposed fiber optics because I feel they're succeptable to being bumped and knocked loose.

Discuss.
Night sights are a must if you don't run an optic. Fibers are only good in the day and the white like will not light them up. Inside 50 yards you can do pretty good with irons.
pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class

Last edited by Alaskapopo; 03-17-2010 at 04:07..
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:13   #10
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

If it's policy idiocy.....

#1, fight it.

#2 if you MUST run a tritium/fiberoptic, get the XS white stripe tritium front sight.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:55   #11
Spiffums
I.C.P.

For what its worth, I'm going to use Troy flip up sights on my next build with tritium inserts. The odds of me even needing the iron sights are slim but I would rather have night sights in them if the outside chance that I need iron sights at night comes up.
Old 03-17-2010, 14:10   #12
patscrazy

I have an XS tritium front sight on patrol rifle. I really like it. Nice and bright and does not have an exposed fiber optic like the truglo. I too am not allowed to have a red dot sight on my patrol rifle. If I want to use my own rifle, I have to have it set up the same as my department's rifles and theirs don't have red dots. So I'm SOL. Stupid yes, but the way it has to be until they get red dots on theirs, (which will not happen anytime soon) and train everyone on how to use it.
J-frame snubbie club#495

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which one are you?

Last edited by patscrazy; 03-17-2010 at 14:14..
patscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 14:48   #13
rem2429

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
If it's policy idiocy.....

#1, fight it.

#2 if you MUST run a tritium/fiberoptic, get the XS white stripe tritium front sight.
I would find every scrap of data supporting better qual scores, less chance of missing and causing inadvertant injury and present it as the better option. I'd say zero checks and qualification with optics and without are a must. Then, I'd consider adding an XS tritium sight to the front post. If you can't swing the optic, I'd not use the XS as it is so big.
rem2429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 16:51   #14
ctaggart

Ok, so as far as not allowing the red dots, EoTechs, etc. Our patrol rifles are set up without them. As patscrazy stated, his policy says that an individual Officer's rifle must be set up the same as the departments. Our policy reads the same way.

I really don't have a problem with this policy. I'm sure qualification scores would improve with a holographic sight, but the department just doesn't have the funding for it. I work for a 12 man department and although we're not in the poor house with funding, it's just not in the budget. Sometimes you just gotta work with what you can afford. It's along the same lines as purchasing a new Charger with either the 3.5 V6 or the V8. Our budget dictates the V6 and that's just what we have. We deal with it.
Old 03-17-2010, 23:34   #15
GenoTac Ind.
|KYDEX GEAR>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaggart View Post
Ok, so as far as not allowing the red dots, EoTechs, etc. Our patrol rifles are set up without them. As patscrazy stated, his policy says that an individual Officer's rifle must be set up the same as the departments. Our policy reads the same way.
Looks like your armorer/firearms instructor needs to do a little selling to admin...If officers buy their own rifles and buy their own gear and your armorer can approve the equipment and you can qualify with it, why not? The dept won't be out of any money there...have Eotech, Aimpoint, or whoever send a rep to sell some of that stuff...

Sorry, probably beating a dead horse....

Last edited by GenoTac Ind.; 03-17-2010 at 23:35..
GenoTac Ind. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:00   #16
patscrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by g30another600r View Post
Looks like your armorer/firearms instructor needs to do a little selling to admin...If officers buy their own rifles and buy their own gear and your armorer can approve the equipment and you can qualify with it, why not? The dept won't be out of any money there...have Eotech, Aimpoint, or whoever send a rep to sell some of that stuff...

Sorry, probably beating a dead horse....
For me it is . I have tried to rational with our firearms guy. Its only a red dot, I'd say. Who can't understand how to use a red dot sight? 1. Put dot on object you want to shoot/kill 2. Pull trigger as many times as deemed necessary to stop threat. Easy, anyone could figure that out right?! Not in their eyes.

He is so tried of dealing with our admin on this subject(along with others). He gets mad when you even bring it up.

The way he has explained it to me when I tried to have my rifle set up how I wanted it, was that every person on the department was trained and qualified with the stock M4 patrol rifle. No red dots, lasers, scopes, rails, FVG's, etc. This may be hard for some to believe, but their rational is this: In a fire fight, everyone on the department, even the lowest common denominator patrolmen, could pick up my rifle if I got shot, be completely familiar with it and fire it. Since they were never trained on how to use an M4 with a red dot, no gets to use a red dot. Even if the department had the money to buy Eotech's or Aimpoints for our their rifles, I doubt they would. Some guys are still purists, they see a those things as too tacticool.
J-frame snubbie club#495

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which one are you?

Last edited by patscrazy; 03-18-2010 at 01:02..
patscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:23   #17
GenoTac Ind.
|KYDEX GEAR>

Quote:
Originally Posted by patscrazy View Post
Some guys are still purists, they see a those things as too tacticool.
I feel you on that. Pretty much the only thing we aren't allow to have on our carbines are magnifiers. Hopefully Wprebeck will be chiming in soon...he is our SRT armorer and has done great things for us...maybe some more pointer from him would help...Prebeck where are you???

Sorry about hijacking your thread...

Last edited by GenoTac Ind.; 03-18-2010 at 01:24..
GenoTac Ind. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:49   #18
ctaggart

It's all been tried before. There is no convincing admin. Period. When they're ready to make the leap to EoTechs, they'll make it. That will be no time soon.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:13   #19
nmleo431

I have a set of Trijicon night sites on one of my Bushmaster A2's...I am a firearms instructor in New Mexico..they are fine...you do loose some fine front site adjustment since the insert is only visible on one of the 4 sides of a normal front site. I like mine. they cost about 80.00 per set. They do help out for night qualifications...I also have a TLR-1 mounted on the gun...the sights are back up if the light fails.

Good Luck.
nmleo431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 13:05   #20
ctaggart

I received the TruGlo front sight post in the mail and installed it yesterday morning...what a pain in the ass. I had to cut the retaining spring down to size and my fingers just aren't as nimble as they should be for this time of fine work.

Adjustment is a real pain as well. You have to take the sight out to adjust the front post then re-install it and then fire it to see if you're close. It took me a little while to sight the rifle in.

I do like this little sight. I don't know if it's going to be as robust as I need it to be, but only time will tell there. The front bead really has a nice glow to it when you're outside. In the dark, it is bright enough to be visible, but it's not very bright. That's just my initial take on it. I do think it's worth the 70 bucks I spent on it.