Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:16   #1
HOV

Really bad accuracy with DT

I'm still getting used to my G20. So far, I have shot Remington 180-gr UMC FMJ, Buffalo Bore "Heavy 10mm" 180-gr. JHP, and Double Tap 180-gr. w/Nosler JHP.

I have also shot a good quantity of .40 S&W through it with a conversion barrel from KKM.

Accuracy with the loads:

Remington - good
Buffalo Bore - adequate
Double Tap - awful
Any .40 S&W - great

Normally I am a very good shot with the pistol. I cut out ragged holes with pretty much any of my carry pistols up to .45 ACP, but there's a problem somewhere in the system with the hot 10mm stuff.

Do you think it's shooter error, or have any of you had accuracy problems with premium hot 10mm ammo, and DT in particular?
HOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:36   #2
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

What's awful? If you are used to cutting ragged holes is a 2 inch group awful? What range? I personally don't cut ragged holes with anything, but I think of myself as a pretty fair shot, I am no expert but I wouldn't stand in front of me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:15   #3
HOV

At close range - 7 yards, my normal groupings are 2" or so, but with DT ammo there was a lot of variability, with many shots landing high and to the right.

If no one else has issues with the ammo, then the problem is probably the nut behind the wheel.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:19   #4
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

I have always had good luck with it. Mostly shooting the 180 grain target loading.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 00:03   #5
RayRevolver

The 135gr Noslers seemed to group badly for me. All the other DT loads seemed within my normal pattern.

That said I have not shot the G20 in a while and most of the DT I have is a few years old.
RayRevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:14   #6
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOV View Post
I'm still getting used to my G20. So far, I have shot Remington 180-gr UMC FMJ, Buffalo Bore "Heavy 10mm" 180-gr. JHP, and Double Tap 180-gr. w/Nosler JHP.

I have also shot a good quantity of .40 S&W through it with a conversion barrel from KKM.

Accuracy with the loads:

Remington - good
Buffalo Bore - adequate
Double Tap - awful
Any .40 S&W - great

Normally I am a very good shot with the pistol. I cut out ragged holes with pretty much any of my carry pistols up to .45 ACP, but there's a problem somewhere in the system with the hot 10mm stuff.

Do you think it's shooter error, or have any of you had accuracy problems with premium hot 10mm ammo, and DT in particular?
From the simple RAW DATA you're putting here, it would seems that your accuracy is being reduced proportionally as the power is increased.

.40 - least powerful - "great accuracy"
Rem - mild 10mm, a bit more powerful - "good accuracy"
Buffalo Bore - very hot loads - "adequate accuracy"
DT - hottest stuff around - "awful"

Not trying to say anything bad or be rude in the least but ... have you considered the possibility that you are flinching more and more with the more powerful loads? Have you had anyone else shoot groups next to you to compare between shooters? Are you shooting from a bench, slowly, with some gloves or freehand speed shooting?

Things to consider. Many new shooters don't understand or even believe that they are pulling shots until they are "shown" what they're doing (ie, a laser gun sight or a accidental bad flinch, etc). As I said, I don't know how long you've been shooting or if you're already aware of this.... so, just thought I'd offer.

FWIW, I've never had any accuracy problems with DT stuff.... in fact, its some of the more accurate stuff. Practice, Practice, Practice!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”

Last edited by nickE10mm; 03-22-2010 at 01:15..
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:56   #7
HOV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
From the simple RAW DATA you're putting here, it would seems that your accuracy is being reduced proportionally as the power is increased.

.40 - least powerful - "great accuracy"
Rem - mild 10mm, a bit more powerful - "good accuracy"
Buffalo Bore - very hot loads - "adequate accuracy"
DT - hottest stuff around - "awful"

Not trying to say anything bad or be rude in the least but ... have you considered the possibility that you are flinching more and more with the more powerful loads? Have you had anyone else shoot groups next to you to compare between shooters? Are you shooting from a bench, slowly, with some gloves or freehand speed shooting?

Things to consider. Many new shooters don't understand or even believe that they are pulling shots until they are "shown" what they're doing (ie, a laser gun sight or a accidental bad flinch, etc). As I said, I don't know how long you've been shooting or if you're already aware of this.... so, just thought I'd offer.

FWIW, I've never had any accuracy problems with DT stuff.... in fact, its some of the more accurate stuff. Practice, Practice, Practice!
No offense taken at all, I've made mention several times that I believe the problem could be me - especially if no one else seems to have accuracy problems with the ammo.

I'm not a new shooter... been shooting for many years and I take pride in trigger discipline that I work on ad nauseum with snap caps and range sessions.

But - I mostly shoot the standard service calibers, so this is the first time I've shot a magnum-level round from an autoloader. When I started getting bad accuracy with the DT ammo, I really put my best trigger discipline game on and took a while to aim and make the shots. Didn't pay didvidends...

Anyway, I've been a miser with this stuff because it's so costly. It would be worth my money to go through more rounds and practice with the full strength until I either improve myself or really identify a material vice user error.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:56   #8
Dave T

I've tried 4 different DT loads (two 180s and two 200s) in two different 10mms. Accuracy was poor to bad with all, compared to Silvertips, Hornady and Georgia Arms reloads. They also switched bullets (Hornady to Montana Gold) without notifying me or properly labeling the ammo. I will not be buying any more ammunition from DT.

Dave

PS: Should have mentioned I do my testing at 20-25 yards. Groups with DT run 5-6 inches. The other stuff is more like 2-2.5 inches, this for 5 shot groups from two hand supported position.

Last edited by Dave T; 03-22-2010 at 08:58..
Dave T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:07   #9
527varmint

I've read more then one person getting bad accuracy with DT.

Maybe it just doesn't like the stock glock barrel?

I'm not sure with 10mm but with alot of rifles there is often an accuracy sweet spot and it before the hottest loads.

I sleep better in bear country with a 10mm under my pillow!
527varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 21:58   #10
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
No offense taken at all, I've made mention several times that I believe the problem could be me - especially if no one else seems to have accuracy problems with the ammo.

I'm not a new shooter... been shooting for many years and I take pride in trigger discipline that I work on ad nauseum with snap caps and range sessions.

But - I mostly shoot the standard service calibers, so this is the first time I've shot a magnum-level round from an autoloader. When I started getting bad accuracy with the DT ammo, I really put my best trigger discipline game on and took a while to aim and make the shots. Didn't pay didvidends...

Anyway, I've been a miser with this stuff because it's so costly. It would be worth my money to go through more rounds and practice with the full strength until I either improve myself or really identify a material vice user error.

Sounds like you're on the right track to working out your accuracy riddle. Here's my one suggestion (since you seem to know what needs to be done and are actively "doing" it): Don't strive to get out and blow a billion rounds down the tube in the name of "practice". Rather, practice more OFTEN. Ideally, you would go shooting every day in a week but shooting only 25-45 rounds a day. That's what works for me, at least. Its the muscle memory that sets in...not the sheer number of rounds.

My problem is that I don't live out in the woods or I WOULD do that. I have to drive 30 miles to the range and its only open on ONE of my days off a week.... so I don't get the opportunity that I really NEED to stay an ace shot.... but during those times that I DO have that opportunity, my groups shink down to the best they get after a couple consecutive days of shooting.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:26   #11
HOV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Sounds like you're on the right track to working out your accuracy riddle. Here's my one suggestion (since you seem to know what needs to be done and are actively "doing" it): Don't strive to get out and blow a billion rounds down the tube in the name of "practice". Rather, practice more OFTEN. Ideally, you would go shooting every day in a week but shooting only 25-45 rounds a day. That's what works for me, at least. Its the muscle memory that sets in...not the sheer number of rounds.

My problem is that I don't live out in the woods or I WOULD do that. I have to drive 30 miles to the range and its only open on ONE of my days off a week.... so I don't get the opportunity that I really NEED to stay an ace shot.... but during those times that I DO have that opportunity, my groups shink down to the best they get after a couple consecutive days of shooting.
Same boat here - range is 32 miles away and best I can do is one day a week or every other week. I make do at other times with snap cap/draw practice at home, and reload ammo on other days just to get some kind of gun Zen going.

This amount of practice is okay for me for stand and plink kind of stuff. I can get good groups with my usual service caliber ammo right from the get go. Drawing from the holster under time constraint is a different story... I do need some warmup to get decent groups if training like that.

I'm going to load up some 10mm to 75% levels next and see what happens. Granted there may be some variability with my hand loads as I get a recipie ironed out, but I've been known to nail a recipie on the first try. Going with what 527varmint said - if I load up some moderately hot stuff and get good groups, I'll know it's not me or my gun, and from there I can jack up the powder levels and see what happens to accuracy.

Last edited by HOV; 03-23-2010 at 07:27..
Old 03-23-2010, 07:52   #12
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Sounds good, HOV.... let us know how it goes, sir! Stay safe! -Nick

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:40   #13
HOV

OK guys, I had a chance to load up some 10mm and give it a go at the range.

My load:

10mm 180-gr. Sierra FMJ bullet
Used Starline brass
6.4-gr. Unique
CCI large pistol primer
1.28" COAL

I loaded up fifteen of these guys and shot them through my stock Glock 20. Slow, aimed fire just like with the DT that got me the terrible results the first time around. Result:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27926538@N02/4470001241/

And just for fun I gave it another go with a box of .40 S&W with my KKM 10mm->.40S&W conversion barrel.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2792653...n/photostream/

I did not bring any DT to the range this time - should have but forgot to toss it in my range kit the day before.

Next time I will bring DT, and my next batch of 10mm will have a little more powder in there. In fact, now that I know my dies are set up right, I may load up 50 rounds, starting with the level of powder I currently have and ending up at max load. See if there's any effect on accuracy as powder levels increase.

So far it's not looking good for DT, for me at least.

Last edited by HOV; 03-28-2010 at 12:41..
Old 03-28-2010, 17:10   #14
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Thanks for the report, looks good.....HOWEVER, why is it "not lookin good" for DT? Until you do some controlled tests it's still looking like the "shooter" right now. In fact, I would think that after all this range shooting you're doing LEADING UP to shooting more DT ammo should help your accuracy with that ammo. Plus, you're shooting nice mellow loads with good accuracy again, which is great, but it doesn't say much for the Doubletap, as it's power was what we figured might be the culprit. Maybe you'll do your DT trial and accuracy will be better this time. Who knows

Anyways, good shootin'. I always get the "itch" after reading shooting reports....

Why do I carry a 10mm?

Last edited by nickE10mm; 03-28-2010 at 17:11..
Old 03-28-2010, 19:28   #15
HOV

I hear you Nick. But I'm never going to get to the point of controlled tests - it's just a matter of dialing in what works for me. Thus far, DT isn't working well with my human/machine system.

Keep in mind, before my original post I also went through some full strength Buffalo Bore ammunition, which made okay groupings for me. Not the best I've ever shot, but my groups had the kind of variability I would expect for shooting full power stuff in a new gun. The DT groups were ridiculously bad. I just don't shoot like that.

I cleaned and examined my brass after the range today and found something interesting. Here's a picture of two Remington casings (left), two DT casings (center), and two Buffalo Bore casings (right). Forgive the distortion - I was using a wide angle macro lens:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27926538@N02/4471178187/

All Remington cases were intact after one firing. All Double Tap casings after one firing had the marks you see in the picture - what could be the beginning of case/head separation or split neck.

Most of the Starline brass used in the Buffalo Bore loads was good to go even after having been reloaded and fired twice... except one Buffalo Bore casing which actually did separate after the reload was fired:

So in terms of reload-abliity, DT isn't scoring well for me so far either. I will not re-use that brass.
Old 03-28-2010, 21:55   #16
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
I hear you Nick. But I'm never going to get to the point of controlled tests - it's just a matter of dialing in what works for me. Thus far, DT isn't working well with my human/machine system.

Keep in mind, before my original post I also went through some full strength Buffalo Bore ammunition, which made okay groupings for me. Not the best I've ever shot, but my groups had the kind of variability I would expect for shooting full power stuff in a new gun. The DT groups were ridiculously bad. I just don't shoot like that.

I cleaned and examined my brass after the range today and found something interesting. Here's a picture of two Remington casings (left), two DT casings (center), and two Buffalo Bore casings (right). Forgive the distortion - I was using a wide angle macro lens:

All Remington cases were intact after one firing. All Double Tap casings after one firing had the marks you see in the picture - what could be the beginning of case/head separation or split neck.

Most of the Starline brass used in the Buffalo Bore loads was good to go even after having been reloaded and fired twice... except one Buffalo Bore casing which actually did separate after the reload was fired:

So in terms of reload-abliity, DT isn't scoring well for me so far either. I will not re-use that brass.
I hear ya, man.... and I wanna reiterate, I'm not tryin' to come across as being rude. It may very well just be a bad batch of ammo or simply that your Glock doesn't like DT ammo. Also, you have being doing all one could be expected to do in a situation like yours (aside from the "controlled" tests, lol) and you have communicated your ideas well on here. I had REALLY bad accuracy with some of DT's wide flat nose hunting loads before that I could NOT attribute to anything else than 1) my gun didn't like the ammo or 2) the ammo was bad..... and I remember getting a lot of push-back on the forums from people insisting that it was my shooting.... so I understand about you wanting to figure it out.

As for the empty DT cases... they don't look good, you're right. I might call DT and ask if they have had any other problems with that lot of ammo. Glock barrels are loose but that looks to be bordering on unsafe. I could be wrong but DT will set you straight. They are good people. If its not DT, Glock might also say to send them the barrel and they might replace it. Who knows. I know that my Glock 20 and current G29 DT empties don't look like that, nor do the DT loads I've fired from my Razorback.

Good luck and let us know!

Why do I carry a 10mm?

Last edited by nickE10mm; 03-28-2010 at 21:57..
Old 03-29-2010, 06:42   #17
HOV

Nick - you're not coming across as rude at all, I appreciate the input and need the discourse.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:47   #18
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 03-29-2010, 18:45   #19
HOV

Correction - the ruptured case turned out to be a Hornady range pickup, not one of my Buffalo Bore/hand loads. All of my twice-fired Starline brass courtesy of Buffalo Bore is intact and shows no signs of overpressure.

I updated the picture of the casings with a better one:

Last edited by HOV; 03-29-2010 at 18:46..
Old 04-01-2010, 21:34   #20
brass shower

Send a message via ICQ to brass shower
Never tried it myself but Buffalo Bore claims underpowered recoil springs can affect the extreme spread velocities of hotter 10mm loads ( http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=114 ). If the velocity is fluxuating it will affect where the bullet strikes. If you havn't done so already you might try a 20 pound or heavier spring setup in your G20.

Last edited by brass shower; 04-01-2010 at 21:36..
brass shower is offline   Reply With Quote