Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-02-2010, 13:48   #1
andyo5

New CW4543: Slide stop backs out.

I shot my new CW45 for the first time today. About 40 rounds. The gun generally shot well but malfunctioned a few times. After each malfunction, it was apparent that the slide stop had begun to back out and that the slide had not gone into battery. I pushed the slide stop back in and all was well until it backed out again.
What's up with this? Is this a known problem or am I doing something wrong?
As far as I can tell, the slide stop spring is laying on top of the slide stop the way it should.
andyo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 16:26   #2
rk02

First call Kahr and tell them the problem and they will sent you a new slide stop spring. I called yesterday and they said it would take a week. No Charge.
Second if you want go to the below link at kahrtalk.com. The thread talks about a tweek you can try. It helped mine but did not fix it.

http://kahrtalk.com/p-cw-series-pist...e-problem.html

Good Luck
rk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 19:15   #3
KCTanfoglio

The slide stop spring is rotated to a point where it is not seating in the groove on the stop completely.

Check this out -

http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistol...-question.html
KCTanfoglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 22:37   #4
neosocrates1

I've Heard of This Problem Before, and Not Just on the CW45 series.

I Have a CW45 that Performs Flawlessly, and It's What I Typically Carry.
neosocrates1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:36   #5
andyo5

Well, I fiddled with the spring last night and ensured that it was slipping into the groove on the slide stop. I fired 76 rounds through it this morning and had no malfunctions. I do have the impression that if you use the slide stop to drop the slide on a fresh magazine (instead of pulling the slide back and releasing it), the slide stop is more likely to back out.
The gun is shooting well and I really prefer it to my Glock 30SF. I think I will sell my Glock and promote the Kahr to my main carry gun (along with my J frame Smith).
Old 04-03-2010, 09:53   #6
KCTanfoglio

I'm with you, Andy. My 1st Kahr was a CW9. I liked it so much I got a PM9, then a P380. I've been looking for a decent used PM45, but they are scare or people don't want to sell them.

I have a G36 which I am completely happy with, but in a few weeks, it's just going to be too much baggage to haul around in hot, sweaty weather. PM in the belt, G36 on the night stand.
Old 04-03-2010, 15:09   #7
andyo5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTanfoglio View Post
I'm with you, Andy. My 1st Kahr was a CW9. I liked it so much I got a PM9, then a P380. I've been looking for a decent used PM45, but they are scare or people don't want to sell them.

I have a G36 which I am completely happy with, but in a few weeks, it's just going to be too much baggage to haul around in hot, sweaty weather. PM in the belt, G36 on the night stand.
I called the two biggest dealers in my area, and neither was able to locate a CW45 for me. I bought mine on GunBroker, new for $399. I am very fond of this gun. I hope I will have no further issues. The accuracy is as good as my Glock, and the ergonomics are far better. I am somewhat concerned about the nylon frame rails, but if they were an issue I guess I would have read about it by now. The bore looked rough when new, but has polished out nicely after 120 rounds of hardball.
Old 04-03-2010, 15:28   #8
KCTanfoglio

The polymer rails are just for guiding the slide onto the frame in the assembly process. They could actually break off completely and it wouldn't hurt a thing. The slide only rides on the very front steel rails (one piece in the dust cover imbedded in the polymer) and the 2 steel segments in the rear. If you get any shaving of the polymer, it's only from the break-in/mating process. No worries.
Very solid design, actually. More rail surface than any of the G models.
Old 04-03-2010, 17:16   #9
targus

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo5 View Post
I do have the impression that if you use the slide stop to drop the slide on a fresh magazine (instead of pulling the slide back and releasing it), the slide stop is more likely to back out.
The problem is that's EXACTLY how Kahr says in the manual to chamber the first round from a full magazine. That's what it says in my PM9 manual and have heard the same thing over and over again for the other Kahr models.
targus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 17:17   #10
targus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTanfoglio View Post
The polymer rails are just for guiding the slide onto the frame in the assembly process. They could actually break off completely and it wouldn't hurt a thing. The slide only rides on the very front steel rails (one piece in the dust cover imbedded in the polymer) and the 2 steel segments in the rear. If you get any shaving of the polymer, it's only from the break-in/mating process. No worries.
Very solid design, actually. More rail surface than any of the G models.
There's even a sticky about this complete with pictures right here.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765313

Last edited by targus; 04-03-2010 at 17:19..
targus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:57   #11
user
VaLegalDefense

I've never had that problem with any of my Kahrs. I wonder whether the groove in the pin may vary or have burrs or something. Perhaps cleaning it out with an itty-bitty diamond file would help. I had one condition arise in a PM9 due to a burr left over from the CNC milling process, and just cleaning one part up a bit solved the problem.

As to the comment Andy05 made,
Quote:
The gun is shooting well and I really prefer it to my Glock 30SF. I think I will sell my Glock and promote the Kahr to my main carry gun (along with my J frame Smith).
, I, myself, am a revolver guy. But I routinely carry a PM9, a K9, or a T9, depending on circumstances and clothing options.
Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.
http://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com
user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 14:51   #12
andyo5

I noticed some wear on the forward edge of the washer that holds the spring in place. It looks like this washer was preventing the slide stop from going in far enough for the spring to slip into the groove. But after some wear, it now goes in. I guess I could have filed the edge of the washer and gotten the same result.
Old 04-06-2010, 15:07   #13
andyo5

I shot 80 rounds through the gun this morning to finish the "official" 200 round break-in. Not one single hiccup, and it shot very accurately.
I am very happy with this gun. It does not seem to recoil badly at all, especially for such a light gun.
I'm fast becoming a Kahrophile.
Anybody wanna buy a nice G30SF with night sights?