Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-05-2010, 17:54   #1
compscotty

mounting issue with bullets all over the place

i think this is the right place for this to be posted. But i have mounted a riser and a new scope on my Colt Match Target Competition hbar ii. I took the handle off.

here's the links to the base and scope that i installed.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=871193
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=695174

My shots are all over the place at 100 yards. I dunno why. Everything seems to be tight and well screwed down. What should i do. Just throw it away and start over?

scott
compscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 21:46   #2
Constructor
GT Sponsor

Scott,
Could you define " all over the place" and what type of ammo are you shooting? Are you shooting off of a rest or bipod or?
Many things can effect accuracy on a AR, can you mount the scope on the upper receiver picatinny rail without the riser?
This may take a few back and forth posts here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:55   #3
compscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constructor View Post
Scott,
Could you define " all over the place" and what type of ammo are you shooting? Are you shooting off of a rest or bipod or?
Many things can effect accuracy on a AR, can you mount the scope on the upper receiver picatinny rail without the riser?
This may take a few back and forth posts here.
i'm shooting from a bench rest. i used loaded rounds as well as factory winchester rounds. The bullets are going all over the place deviating by as much as 6 inches!

I 'm using a riser because i didn't want to take off my front sight because my sling is attached to it.
Old 04-06-2010, 13:54   #4
Constructor
GT Sponsor

I understand now. Have you shot for groups with iron sights?
If everything you have shot is FMJ you may want to try a different bullet like 69gr Sierra Match Kings from Black Hills or Federal.
The truth is many production barrels are loose in the muzzle and spray bullets, the 69 SMK seems to work much better in those loose barrels.
The second check is borrow a scope from someone and try it just to narrow down the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-06-2010, 14:29   #5
compscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constructor View Post
I understand now. Have you shot for groups with iron sights?
If everything you have shot is FMJ you may want to try a different bullet like 69gr Sierra Match Kings from Black Hills or Federal.
The truth is many production barrels are loose in the muzzle and spray bullets, the 69 SMK seems to work much better in those loose barrels.
The second check is borrow a scope from someone and try it just to narrow down the problem.
i have never used iron sites lol. Is it possible to have a gunsmith analyze my colt match target? Man, i thought i had a high quality 223.

The ironic thing about this is that my very first gun was a Marlin 600 22lr with a cheap scope. I still have it and it's the most accurate rifle i've ever owned!!LOL i get 100 yard groups with in 2 inches.

What other types of bullets you recommend for my 1:9 twist 16 inch barrel besides the 69SMKs ???

scott

Last edited by compscotty; 04-06-2010 at 14:48..
Old 04-06-2010, 15:17   #6
Constructor
GT Sponsor

I am not in any way saying the barrel you have is bad just that some ammo will shoot better in it than others. The 9" twist limits the weights of bullets you can use to 69 and under, it's actually the length that matters but lets just say 69gr and under for now. First I would try a different scope to see if it makes a difference then order a couple of boxes of 69gr Black Hills and see if that makes a difference.
I have around 90 barrels left that will not shoot 55gr fmj for anything but several of them have shot 69gr SMKs into less than 1" at 100yds when handloaded with 24gr of RE15, it's just finding the right load or ammo in most cases.