SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:01   #1
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

AR Red Dot Optic Suggestion

I have two AR-15 carbines. One is a 6.8spc and one is a 5.56. They both have a removable handle, a quad rail, a fold down rear sight, an A-frame front sight and a CAA FGA front grip/flashlight holder and on/off switch (great product) with surfire G2L's on them.

My level of experience is where I can take them down and clean them as well as do part replacements as needed.

My intended use is for home defense or SHTF type of situations should they occur.

Given that I would like a couple of top rail mounted red dot or similar optic that is inexpensive and won't break too easily while working out to 100 yards or more. As a side benefit a variable or 2x would be nice.

What would you suggest?

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 14:11   #2
Constructor
GT Sponsor

This is another one of those heated topics, the experts say an Aimpoint is the only way to go because they are tougher and the batteries last longer and then the buttons are in the wrong place on a EOT if you use night vision and so on. If you go with an Aimpoint I would suggest a 2MOA dot not the 4 MOA, the 4MOA just covers too much target IMO, paper or whatever.
The EO Tech has a larger field of view and a 1 MOA dot with a 65MOA ring which IMO has it's advantages. We are not all operators so I am not sure we all need the best but then you have the buy once cry once thing to consider so I would not buy a cheap product or a knock off.
I personally would like to see a larger diameter Aimpoint.
The Aimpoint CompC3(Am1141) runs around $400 MSRP, the M2 is also in that price range and tougher , The EOT 512 is also around $400.
I have a 2x commercial grade Aimpoint, a 9000 or something on a 11-87 turkey shotgun that has been there for years with not 1 single problem so for us non- operators lesser models can work great for our purpose and not break the bank, check Cabela's bargain cave for closeouts.
There are other brands of red dots made by decent companies like Burris or Bushnell that may work just fine I just have no experience with them personally so while I have not heard of any issues with them I am reluctant to say try them.

Last edited by Constructor; 04-10-2010 at 14:29..
Constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 19:23   #3
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Thankyou for the advice. I have been looking and hoping to find one of the cheap red dots that would work but I have already bought once and won't do that again. I ride a motorcycle and in the same way I have learned that with many products the best one is the cheapest one because it works and you only buy it the one time.

So now I need a good deal...

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
Old 04-10-2010, 23:55   #4
Constructor
GT Sponsor

Live near a mil base? find out where they trade their optics.
I live near Carson and found some trade ins a few years ago, they are still running on the original batteries.
Constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:14   #5
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constructor View Post
Live near a mil base? find out where they trade their optics.
I live near Carson and found some trade ins a few years ago, they are still running on the original batteries.
That's a great idea, I will give it a try.