GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 17:48   #51
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 29,694
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG22 View Post
UPDATE:

California is about as bad as it gets. So I just called California DOJ firearms office ((916)263-4887) and asked about a stopover/cancellation/etc and what I should do.

There were two suggestions, and he was incredibly helpful and friendly:

1. Consider terminal storage

2. If not, and a passenger (non resident of California) is forced to stop over in California (Los Angeles from LAX, for example), then the hotel becomes their temporary residence and there's no need to call ATF/DOJ, etc, to inform. Just keep the handgun in TSA condition--broken down is best, locked, unloaded, etc-- and all is fine. He said this works for a period of passing through. If you decided to spend a few extra days and play, it would become subject to out of state transport and etc and may become a different situation.

I'd want to call NY as well to see if it's the same, but California is about as strict as it gets so I imagine that if you inquire at each state, about the same standard could apply. That is an assumption. I'll see if I can get ahold of NYC as well.
Great read.. I'm not much of a traveler, but you've posted some good and handy info. I think most of us have read about what happened to the gun owner who was detained for 3mo before it was finally worked out. Sounds like Terminal Storage is the best idea if you think there is any possibility you'll be stopped in NYC/NJ.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 15:13   #52
skyparker
SkyMan
 
skyparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Branson, MO
Posts: 41
Send a message via ICQ to skyparker
The wife and I are headed to Florida on Allegiant Air in a couple of weeks and are planning to take 3 autos in a Pelican/Storm type case. (1 CCW, 1 bug, 1 for a range to train) I'm taking just a few mags worth of SD ammo and purchasing range ammo there.

I'll take advantage of the OP's great tips and follow his steps of firearm/ammo prep, case prep and securing all to my baggage.

Has anyone had experience or issues flying with more than one firearm in a case? If asked "why?" by an agent or TSA, what would be an appropriate response?
skyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 16:25   #53
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member
 
MacG22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyparker View Post
The wife and I are headed to Florida on Allegiant Air in a couple of weeks and are planning to take 3 autos in a Pelican/Storm type case. (1 CCW, 1 bug, 1 for a range to train) I'm taking just a few mags worth of SD ammo and purchasing range ammo there.

I'll take advantage of the OP's great tips and follow his steps of firearm/ammo prep, case prep and securing all to my baggage.

Has anyone had experience or issues flying with more than one firearm in a case? If asked "why?" by an agent or TSA, what would be an appropriate response?

Sometimes I fly with two. But never more than two... just because I didn't have need.

A few considerations:

1. Every airline has a different standard. In general, you can take one to four in one case, total (sometimes in multiple cases, depending on the airline). That's just a general outline... be sure to read and have a copy for you airline (never been on it).

2. When I carried two I was never asked why, but if so I would probably throw out something like "pistol sports competition". Sure, it's not the truth. And I understand it's none of their business (you don't have to answer the question even if they ask), however I personally see a lot of value in putting the gate agent at ease. They don't need to know your theories about personal defense and concealed carry. They don't need to know anything, really. But I have found that the more at ease they are, the quicker you get through and the less hassle you have.

Just my opinion and there are certainly many sides to the issue of "what to tell them above and beyond the law and their regulations".

Have a good trip, and if you're able, please post an account of your travel experience here when you get back.
__________________
“Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, but I consider the capacity for it terrifying...--Kurt Vonnegut
MacG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 22:32   #54
skyparker
SkyMan
 
skyparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Branson, MO
Posts: 41
Send a message via ICQ to skyparker
Quote:
Sometimes I fly with two. But never more than two... just because I didn't have need.

A few considerations:

1. Every airline has a different standard. In general, you can take one to four in one case, total (sometimes in multiple cases, depending on the airline). That's just a general outline... be sure to read and have a copy for you airline (never been on it).

2. When I carried two I was never asked why, but if so I would probably throw out something like "pistol sports competition". Sure, it's not the truth. And I understand it's none of their business (you don't have to answer the question even if they ask), however I personally see a lot of value in putting the gate agent at ease. They don't need to know your theories about personal defense and concealed carry. They don't need to know anything, really. But I have found that the more at ease they are, the quicker you get through and the less hassle you have.

Just my opinion and there are certainly many sides to the issue of "what to tell them above and beyond the law and their regulations".

Have a good trip, and if you're able, please post an account of your travel experience here when you get back.
ALLEGIANT AIR WARNING... I found this out today and what a big surprise I got. The following is the entire firearm script copied straight from the Allegiant Air website at http://www.allegiantair.com/aaFAQ.php

Allegiant allows firearms to be transported using the following guidelines:
  1. All customers must declare their firearm at time of check-in.
  2. Firearms and ammunition cannot be carried on-board the aircraft and are accepted in checked baggage only.
  3. All firearms must be unloaded
  4. Firearms must be in a locked case and must be able to withstand normal baggage handling without damaging the firearm or other baggage.
  5. Small-arms ammunition intended for sport or hunting are accepted only if carried in a sturdy checked bag.
  6. Ammunition must be in the manufactures original container, or equivalent fiber, wood, or metal container specifically designed to carry ammunition. This carrier must provide sufficient cartridge separation.
  7. The following are per person limitations on ammunition:
    1. No more than three hundred (300) rounds of pistol (rim fire) ammunition.
    2. No more than one hundred twenty (120) rounds of rifle (center fire) ammunition.
    3. No more than one hundred fifty (150) shotgun shells.
    4. The total gross weight of the ammunition cannot exceed eleven (11) pounds per passenger.
    5. One handgun case (with only 1 unloaded handgun inside) will be accepted for each paying passenger.
    6. One shotgun case (with maximum 2 unloaded shotguns inside) will be accepted for each paying passenger.
    7. One rifle case (with maximum 2 unloaded rifles inside) will be accepted for each paying passenger.
PLEASE NOTE THE BOLD RULE 5 ABOVE.

I previously wrote in an earlier post that I desired to take 3 firearms in one Pelican/Storm type case. So, I called Allegiant today to confirm.
OK, per the rule, I was ready to comply and only take two guns using two gun cases with one gun in each case. And, per the rule, my wife and I are both paying passengers. This is where they got me... I was informed by Allegiant they only allow ONE handgun in ONE case in ONE CHECKED BAG.

WOW, unless somebody sees something I don't, the entire rule script does not mention, infer or interpret anything like that. How are we supposed to interpret "paying passengers" to really mean "paid checked baggage?" Not all passengers in this day and time with high bag fees check more than 1 bag. This seems somewhat misleading to say the least. Needless to say, I'm not too happy about it.

Well, I'm so glad I I called them...it didn't make a lot of sense to have 2 guns in 2 cases in 1 checked bag, but I was ready to comply. It just chaps me that it's not stated that way.

Had I not called and went ahead and followed the letter of their law, my wife and I would have had a mess on our hands with a extra gun or two at the ticket counter. It probably would not have even mattered if I had their firearm rules printed in hand. The only way we can take two guns now is to pay an extra $40plus to check another bag.

What I learned today: Read the airlines rules, then call them for the interpretation.

Oh..and fly Southwest Airlines... No baggage fees and they allow multiple firearms to be transported inside one hard-sided case.

Last edited by skyparker; 04-07-2010 at 06:44..
skyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:52   #55
hikerpaddler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 5,383
Send a message via AIM to hikerpaddler
Yes, cable locks are acceptable. Yes, if you're not bright enough to secure your case with one properly, you can have a problem. And I've never found a cable lock that wasn't sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG22 View Post
I lumped the PA under NYPD, in this case, because the ATF agent said that that NYPD Pistol Licensing are the ones deferred to when TSA, PA, NYPD, and ATF have an issue with firearms and the state law. That's who they call, so to speak.

However, I am certainly not an expert on the agencies there and only know what I was told in my conversations with those agencies. The numbers are posted above and I would encourage any NYC residents to investigate further post your findings here for the benefit of the community.



Yes and no. I asked TSA if a cable lock was a sufficient lock for the gun case (as a backup...because I have two dozen of them sitting in the safe). According to TSA, a cable lock is fine so long as it prevents the case from opening. However, if you can still open it enough to get the gun out (which you CAN, with many cable locks) then they will not permit it to be loaded on the plane. TSA told me that the box must be locked SECURELY, meaning that you can't just reach in and get it out.

So regarding cable locks their answer was, essentially, "If you've got a way to make a cable lock keep it closed--which most won't do--then yes. But cable locks were designed for the firearm itself, not the case". A stock glock cable can be wrapped around the handle of the stock glock box pretty securely, IMO, but it can also leave some slack if you're not careful.

I'm sure many folks have used the cable lock just fine and can continue to, but I also wanted to let you know that it could be a problem with TSA if you get the wrong guy on the wrong day and that may not be a chance worth taking. The combo masterlock I put on my case cost me $10 and is twice as strong as the cable locks I got with my firearms (in terms of force to cut). However, if you're going to use your stock glock box (I use my M&P case) there's no lock hole so you'll have to improvise in some way.
__________________
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor
hikerpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:12   #56
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member
 
MacG22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyparker View Post
ALLEGIANT AIR WARNING... I found this out today and what a big surprise I got. The following is the entire firearm script copied straight from the Allegiant Air website at http://www.allegiantair.com/aaFAQ.php

Allegiant allows firearms to be transported using the following guidelines:
  1. All customers must declare their firearm at time of check-in.
  2. Firearms and ammunition cannot be carried on-board the aircraft and are accepted in checked baggage only.
  3. All firearms must be unloaded
  4. Firearms must be in a locked case and must be able to withstand normal baggage handling without damaging the firearm or other baggage.
  5. Small-arms ammunition intended for sport or hunting are accepted only if carried in a sturdy checked bag.
  6. Ammunition must be in the manufactures original container, or equivalent fiber, wood, or metal container specifically designed to carry ammunition. This carrier must provide sufficient cartridge separation.
  7. The following are per person limitations on ammunition:
    1. No more than three hundred (300) rounds of pistol (rim fire) ammunition.
    2. No more than one hundred twenty (120) rounds of rifle (center fire) ammunition.
    3. No more than one hundred fifty (150) shotgun shells.
    4. The total gross weight of the ammunition cannot exceed eleven (11) pounds per passenger.
    5. One handgun case (with only 1 unloaded handgun inside) will be accepted for each paying passenger.
    6. One shotgun case (with maximum 2 unloaded shotguns inside) will be accepted for each paying passenger.
    7. One rifle case (with maximum 2 unloaded rifles inside) will be accepted for each paying passenger.
PLEASE NOTE THE BOLD RULE 5 ABOVE.

I previously wrote in an earlier post that I desired to take 3 firearms in one Pelican/Storm type case. So, I called Allegiant today to confirm.
OK, per the rule, I was ready to comply and only take two guns using two gun cases with one gun in each case. And, per the rule, my wife and I are both paying passengers. This is where they got me... I was informed by Allegiant they only allow ONE handgun in ONE case in ONE CHECKED BAG.

WOW, unless somebody sees something I don't, the entire rule script does not mention, infer or interpret anything like that. How are we supposed to interpret "paying passengers" to really mean "paid checked baggage?" Not all passengers in this day and time with high bag fees check more than 1 bag. This seems somewhat misleading to say the least. Needless to say, I'm not too happy about it.

Well, I'm so glad I I called them...it didn't make a lot of sense to have 2 guns in 2 cases in 1 checked bag, but I was ready to comply. It just chaps me that it's not stated that way.

Had I not called and went ahead and followed the letter of their law, my wife and I would have had a mess on our hands with a extra gun or two at the ticket counter. It probably would not have even mattered if I had their firearm rules printed in hand. The only way we can take two guns now is to pay an extra $40plus to check another bag.

What I learned today: Read the airlines rules, then call them for the interpretation.

Oh..and fly Southwest Airlines... No baggage fees and they allow multiple firearms to be transported inside one hard-sided case.

So which gun will you be taking? Is it worth it for you to take the extra $40 for the bag (for both legs) to have the other pistol with you?

Good thing you made the call. However, had you have had a a copy of their regs from their site (One per passenger) and made it to the gate, I bet you would have been able to speak with a manager and been fine. The last thing they want at the gate is a scene, and if they caused you to miss your flight because they worded their regs poorly they would open themselves up to any manner of administrative issues. Especially if your wife holds up her cell phone camera and says something like, "Honey, we're gonna be youtube stars."

Really, though, in my experience and with all the folks I've compared notes with on this stuff if you have TSA regs and the airline regs on you and you follow it to the letter, you'll get on the plane regardless of what else they try to interpret at the gate. However, I always hold to the rule that it's best not the be the test case and I won't provoke any situations. I carry the rules because, if I accidentally find myself in some situation I can simply point out that I was following everything to the letter of their law.
__________________
“Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, but I consider the capacity for it terrifying...--Kurt Vonnegut
MacG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 14:49   #57
skyparker
SkyMan
 
skyparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Branson, MO
Posts: 41
Send a message via ICQ to skyparker
MacG22, 1++ on your great comments and I agree with all.

I'm still kicking it around about springing for another checked bag. If not, will probably take my EDC, holster, its alternate barrel and some SD ammo. Have been intending to try some of the ranges in FL but also wanted to have more than one gun.

If I have any further dialog with Allegiant, I'll be sure to post it. Will add that they were nothing but nice, courteous and helpful as they could be to me even as I pressed the issue on their regs being so ambiguous and unclear. But, they held their ground.

Thanks again for all your help in this thread.
skyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:13   #58
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member
 
MacG22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,576
So I wanted to post a quick update. I'm sitting in the airport now typing on my laptop.

I'm headed to a place that honors my permit but I've never carried while flying there... mostly because I was always stopped and worked in Chicago or New York before I get there.

I will say it seems to be getting easier and easier to fly out of Denver with a firearm. Not to say they're not doing their job... they are. I was asked probably 7 times if everything was prepared properly and if it was locked properly. The gate agent was kind and helpful. In fact, when she handed the "firearm" tag to her assistant she stated very clearly, "this goes inside, not outside".

On the way to secondary screening the airline employee, a man in his fifties, asked "so what do you carry..." which led to a pleasant conversation. TSA screeners had me stand outside their pod area and screened it, confirmed it was properly locked (by asking and observing) but never had me unlock everything or create a hassle. In fact, when they were finished they told me everything was great and they were friendly and smiling. I was impressed and would certainly give TSA Denver a glowing review (this is not my first positive experience here).

I think this goes to show that the more folks that check a legal and properly prepared firearm--incident free--the easier it will get. I actually think having a lot of folks fly with their firearm and to do it RIGHT (no issues, no scenes) the easier it will get for us. It may not be as effective as donating to the NRA or calling your representatives, etc, but maybe it is. I tend to believe that "organic changes" to law and policy are generally more durable and effective than ones that are forced.

I will also add that I was gracious and profession the whole time. I was a parrot, too. Every time they asked if something was done I would say "Yes sir/mam. I have prepared everything to your airline's and TSA's requirements" and you're more than welcome to inspect it". I wasn't fake or false with them at all. I find that is often counter productive. But I was warm and disarming and that seems to go a long way.

Again, great experience and I felt the Denver TSA and Airline employees did a great job interacting with me as well as following their procedures and protocols.

All in all, it added about 10 minutes to my standard airline routine.
__________________
“Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, but I consider the capacity for it terrifying...--Kurt Vonnegut
MacG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:02   #59
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,376
Regarding connection in NYC, what about high capacity magazine restrictions/hollow points? Aren't they illegal there? If so, is that covered under travellers through, or no?

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 13:01   #60
swinokur
Senior Member
 
swinokur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG22 View Post
So I wanted to post a quick update. I'm sitting in the airport now typing on my laptop.

I'm headed to a place that honors my permit but I've never carried while flying there... mostly because I was always stopped and worked in Chicago or New York before I get there.

I will say it seems to be getting easier and easier to fly out of Denver with a firearm. Not to say they're not doing their job... they are. I was asked probably 7 times if everything was prepared properly and if it was locked properly. The gate agent was kind and helpful. In fact, when she handed the "firearm" tag to her assistant she stated very clearly, "this goes inside, not outside".

On the way to secondary screening the airline employee, a man in his fifties, asked "so what do you carry..." which led to a pleasant conversation. TSA screeners had me stand outside their pod area and screened it, confirmed it was properly locked (by asking and observing) but never had me unlock everything or create a hassle. In fact, when they were finished they told me everything was great and they were friendly and smiling. I was impressed and would certainly give TSA Denver a glowing review (this is not my first positive experience here).

I think this goes to show that the more folks that check a legal and properly prepared firearm--incident free--the easier it will get. I actually think having a lot of folks fly with their firearm and to do it RIGHT (no issues, no scenes) the easier it will get for us. It may not be as effective as donating to the NRA or calling your representatives, etc, but maybe it is. I tend to believe that "organic changes" to law and policy are generally more durable and effective than ones that are forced.

I will also add that I was gracious and profession the whole time. I was a parrot, too. Every time they asked if something was done I would say "Yes sir/mam. I have prepared everything to your airline's and TSA's requirements" and you're more than welcome to inspect it". I wasn't fake or false with them at all. I find that is often counter productive. But I was warm and disarming and that seems to go a long way.

Again, great experience and I felt the Denver TSA and Airline employees did a great job interacting with me as well as following their procedures and protocols.

All in all, it added about 10 minutes to my standard airline routine.
Ditto for McCarran in Las Vegas and Dulles in VA. Never a problem. Always cheerful and cooperative. It may just be my imagination but it seems to me that both TSA and airline staff are easier to deal with in gun friendly states.

Maybe they just get more travelers with firearms than gun hostile states.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 19:27   #61
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,456
I am traveling for the first time with a pistol next week out of Orlando into Vegas and then back.

Can you use the Kiosks for getting your boarding passes or do you have to stand in the big line of people that need to talk with an agent? With the kiosks an agent comes up to you still and checks you ID and puts the tag on your luggage which then you drop off for TSA.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:28   #62
B.Reid
Senior Member
 
B.Reid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,285
The one question I have is about the ammo. I know it has to be in a box but does the box have to lock? Does it go in the case with the gun or in another locked case? Or can I just put the ammo boxes loose in my bag?
__________________
Embrace the apocalypse!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:37   #63
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
The one question I have is about the ammo. I know it has to be in a box but does the box have to lock? Does it go in the case with the gun or in another locked case? Or can I just put the ammo boxes loose in my bag?
For Delta it does not need to be locked up. It just needs to be packed so the rounds are separated from each other. It could be a paper, plastic, or metal box up to 11 lbs.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:23   #64
swinokur
Senior Member
 
swinokur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
I am traveling for the first time with a pistol next week out of Orlando into Vegas and then back.

Can you use the Kiosks for getting your boarding passes or do you have to stand in the big line of people that need to talk with an agent? With the kiosks an agent comes up to you still and checks you ID and puts the tag on your luggage which then you drop off for TSA.
Using a Kiosk won't work well because:

1. A counter agent may or may not want to inspect your firearm.
2. A counter agent needs you to sign a declaration tag that you put inside your suitcase declaring the firearm is unloaded. kiosks can't do that.
3. In some cases an airline rep will have to walk you and your bag to TSA for screeniing, If the screeners aren't close by. Again, Kiosks are not set up for people traveling with guns. You can get your boarding pass when you get to the counter although some airlines give you a small discount for checking in and checking your bag on line. But you still gotta go to the counter anyway for the tag and inspection

I always give myself an extra 30 minutes if I am traveling with a handgun in case of the aforementioned counter lines. Small tip as you approach the counter,just state in a normal conversation level and matter of fact voice "I have an unloaded weapon I need to declare." Works much better than "I have a gun" in a voice others in line can hear.

My .02 YMMV

Last edited by swinokur; 04-20-2010 at 09:23..
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:42   #65
swinokur
Senior Member
 
swinokur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
The one question I have is about the ammo. I know it has to be in a box but does the box have to lock? Does it go in the case with the gun or in another locked case? Or can I just put the ammo boxes loose in my bag?
TSA allows ammo to be either in your luggage or inside the locked gun container. As mentioned it has to be in a container suitable for holding ammo. (no loose rounds) Original containers are OK. Check airline web pages for weight restrictions on ammo. As an example, United allows onnly 11 lbs but Alaska air allows 50. Check before flying.

Last edited by swinokur; 04-20-2010 at 10:59..
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:51   #66
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member
 
MacG22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
The one question I have is about the ammo. I know it has to be in a box but does the box have to lock? Does it go in the case with the gun or in another locked case? Or can I just put the ammo boxes loose in my bag?
Every airline is different. Some are really easy about it (just properly secure your unlaoded mags, etc) and some are more harsh. I have adopted a system which is pretty foolproof... I found what I believed to be the strctest interpretations and I use them for every flight. It's not necessary to do that, but there's no chance for mistakes if I get rushed or have a temporary lapse in memory, etc. My default routine satisfies the strictest requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
I am traveling for the first time with a pistol next week out of Orlando into Vegas and then back.

Can you use the Kiosks for getting your boarding passes or do you have to stand in the big line of people that need to talk with an agent? With the kiosks an agent comes up to you still and checks you ID and puts the tag on your luggage which then you drop off for TSA.
I use the kiosks if I need. Generally I try to check in online before I get there, though.

Here's why I like to use the kiosks...

When you check in at the kiosk, you can pretty well get done by the time they come and try and take any back you have selected to check. And you can select your seat, etc, which can be nice.

If you go to the counter and you get someone who is put off by the firearm, they may not be as kind an accommodating when selecting your seat for you. I was given a middle seat one time from that story I posted in the OP and when the plane took off there were tons of other seats open.

So the kiosk isn't bad, in my experience, but by far the best way to have checked in online and printed your boarding pass at hone, IMO.
__________________
“Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, but I consider the capacity for it terrifying...--Kurt Vonnegut

Last edited by MacG22; 04-20-2010 at 09:51..
MacG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:31   #67
B.Reid
Senior Member
 
B.Reid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG22 View Post
Every airline is different. Some are really easy about it (just properly secure your unlaoded mags, etc) and some are more harsh. I have adopted a system which is pretty foolproof... I found what I believed to be the strctest interpretations and I use them for every flight. It's not necessary to do that, but there's no chance for mistakes if I get rushed or have a temporary lapse in memory, etc. My default routine satisfies the strictest requirements.



I use the kiosks if I need. Generally I try to check in online before I get there, though.

Here's why I like to use the kiosks...

When you check in at the kiosk, you can pretty well get done by the time they come and try and take any back you have selected to check. And you can select your seat, etc, which can be nice.

If you go to the counter and you get someone who is put off by the firearm, they may not be as kind an accommodating when selecting your seat for you. I was given a middle seat one time from that story I posted in the OP and when the plane took off there were tons of other seats open.

So the kiosk isn't bad, in my experience, but by far the best way to have checked in online and printed your boarding pass at hone, IMO.


What is the proper way to secure my mags? Lock them in the case with the gun. Can the ammo boxes just be placed in my checked bag?
__________________
Embrace the apocalypse!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:43   #68
glockaviator
Senior Member
 
glockaviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 979
Anyone ever try flying into another country?
__________________
Truth is stranger than fiction, fiction has to be believable.
glockaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:12   #69
swinokur
Senior Member
 
swinokur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
What is the proper way to secure my mags? Lock them in the case with the gun. Can the ammo boxes just be placed in my checked bag?
Mags should be locked in your pistol case or suitcase UNLOADED. According to TSA rules you can put loaded mags into your luggage if the open ends are covered as inserted into a belt mag holder, but I have seen airline reps who wouldn't allow it, so to be safe, travel with mags unloaded to guarantee a hassle free trip.


Ammo can be placed in your checked bag no problem. Conform with ammo box rules and you'll be fine.

Again, my .02
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:14   #70
swinokur
Senior Member
 
swinokur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockaviator View Post
Anyone ever try flying into another country?
Ever watch the cable show Locked Up Abroad?

swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 13:54   #71
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG22 View Post


I use the kiosks if I need. Generally I try to check in online before I get there, though.

Here's why I like to use the kiosks...

When you check in at the kiosk, you can pretty well get done by the time they come and try and take any back you have selected to check. And you can select your seat, etc, which can be nice.

If you go to the counter and you get someone who is put off by the firearm, they may not be as kind an accommodating when selecting your seat for you. I was given a middle seat one time from that story I posted in the OP and when the plane took off there were tons of other seats open.

So the kiosk isn't bad, in my experience, but by far the best way to have checked in online and printed your boarding pass at hone, IMO.
Ok. I will plan on checking in online. Hopefully it will be pretty clear where I need to go with my boarding pass and bag to check. I have not flown in a couple of years. I have a confirmed seat and am in the first class cabin so they better not try and move me around.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 15:03   #72
rmarkob
NRA Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 62
Send a message via AIM to rmarkob
I have packed my bag in a similar manner as MacG22 describes here, but using a $30 Secure-It or http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm, with a steel cable looped around the suitcase frame. The case my Glock came in doesn't have a place for a padlock.

I usually just tell them at the airline counter that I need an unloaded firearms declaration form. I've had varied experience with where the airline employee wants the tag to go. Most realize it's supposed to be inside the luggage, but outside of the locked firearm container, specifically so the TSA screener can see I declared it with the airline. In fact at SeaTac the secondary TSA guy once taped the tag to the gunsafe so it wouldn't get separated inside the luggage.

At Savannah/Hilton Head a couple of weeks ago, the airline lady (US Airways) absolutely insisted the tag go inside the case, stating it was what TSA there wanted (she radio'd ahead that it was on its way down). Some tags have an elastic string, and I usually loop that over the latch inside the case and leave the tag hanging out, but I didn't argue with the witch (sorry, she had an attitude). The reason for confusion is probably because when traveling with a rifle or shotgun where the case is the luggage, the only place to put the tag is inside the case.

I even drove from PA to NJ to fly out of Newark airport with a gun once. Another poster alluded to the case of a traveler with a firearm being arrested there a few years ago. Here's that case: http://www.anjrpc.org/fopalawsuit.htm. Because of this and other abuses at NY area airports, Congressman Don Young wrote to the TSA to get their interpretation of FOPA and received this response from the Assistant U.S. Attorney General: http://www.nraila.org/images/DOJltrTSA.pdf.

Anyway, I took my chances and didn't have any issues at the airport. However, I think it's probably so rare for travelers to declare handguns at Newark (and the TSA guy was so overly polite) that I think they assumed I was a LEO (mere mortals don't have guns in NJ, unless they're criminals!).

Another good source of info on flying with firearms is http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig10/ollam1.html. Check out the link to some entertaining videos on this topic near the bottom of the page.
rmarkob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 19:11   #73
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member
 
MacG22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
Mags should be locked in your pistol case or suitcase UNLOADED. According to TSA rules you can put loaded mags into your luggage if the open ends are covered as inserted into a belt mag holder, but I have seen airline reps who wouldn't allow it, so to be safe, travel with mags unloaded to guarantee a hassle free trip.


Ammo can be placed in your checked bag no problem. Conform with ammo box rules and the airline's rules and you'll be fine.

Again, my .02
Couldn't have said it any better, other than the one edit. Some airlines get sticky with ammo in checked bags. But in general there's no problem.
__________________
“Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, but I consider the capacity for it terrifying...--Kurt Vonnegut

Last edited by MacG22; 04-20-2010 at 19:12..
MacG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 23:28   #74
B.Reid
Senior Member
 
B.Reid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
Mags should be locked in your pistol case or suitcase UNLOADED. According to TSA rules you can put loaded mags into your luggage if the open ends are covered as inserted into a belt mag holder, but I have seen airline reps who wouldn't allow it, so to be safe, travel with mags unloaded to guarantee a hassle free trip.


Ammo can be placed in your checked bag no problem. Conform with ammo box rules and you'll be fine.

Again, my .02
Thanks for the info, I haven't flown commercial in 20 years so things have changed a bit.

Does your bag that the guncase goes into have to be locked?
__________________
Embrace the apocalypse!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!

Last edited by B.Reid; 04-20-2010 at 23:32..
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 23:39   #75
Alchemy
Senior Member
 
Alchemy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Oregon..
Posts: 21,457


Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNg View Post
Do NOT do that and get caught.


Maybe someone should direct EMT1581 to this thread. Since I'm on
his ignore list and he's already started a thread in carry issues about it.
He could learn a lot from this thread.

He's flying to Florida next year for a wedding.

So if someone that is not on his ignore list could forward a message
to him about this post. It might spare us a lot of misery until next
year.
Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
airplane gun, fly gun, tsa travel rules
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:52.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 959
280 Members
679 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42