Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:18   #1
G36_Me

What does your reloading log look like?

Here is what I've come up with for 45 Auto. It has been through several revisions. Just last night made another change. Of course, it is filled in by hand at the bench, but I entered some 'real' data so you can see what I do.

What do you have in your log? (thanks to jaybirdjtt for mentioning his log in another post. i've been wanting to ask this for a while).

Reloading
Glock Professional Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
G36_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 13:13   #2
fredj338

Mine is sim. I do not show quant or control number but add vel, sd & accuracy as well as type/model of gun used (kind of imoportant if you load for more than one).
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 03-09-2010 at 13:14..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 13:31   #3
G36_Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Mine is sim. I do not show quant or control number but add vel, sd & accuracy as well as type/model of gun used (kind of imoportant if you load for more than one).
Good points.
The control number is just something I put on the 'end' of the box. When they are stacked on the shelf, I take my log to the shelf and pull off the ammo I want to use, using the control number as an easy way to not have to pull all the boxes off and read the top.

With no chrono (yet, maybe in the next 30 years) I don't have vel and sd info, wish I did, but not convinced yet I need to go to this next step. (don't want to get off track on this discussion here)

Type and model of gun, that's the type of info I put in the margins if necessary.
All my 230 gr loads work in all my guns, mandatory for me. The 185 gr loads do have gun related info in the margins, since that is my only specialized load.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 14:21   #4
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36_Me View Post
Here is what I've come up with for 45 Auto. It has been through several revisions. Just last night made another change. Of course, it is filled in by hand at the bench, but I entered some 'real' data so you can see what I do.

What do you have in your log? (thanks to jaybirdjtt for mentioning his log in another post. i've been wanting to ask this for a while).

Reloading
Mine is also pretty similar... When I get a Chrony, I want to add columns for it.

I really don't understand why people would pay for a log book, or pay for some "gun inventory program", etc.. If you've got Excel,, you can fire it up and do whatever you want w/ minimum knowledge and effort. If you don't have MS Office, just download Open Office for free, and use its spreadsheet program.

My whole gun collection is in a spread sheet, complete w/ model #'s, serial #'s, etc.. I've also got my logbook for my reloading data.

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 14:29   #5
kjm1016

I do mine on the computer using M/S word. Each caliber has a Chapter listing the weapons I own in that cal., including a photo of the gun. Then loads are listed under type of bullet. For individual loads I list a number, date, powder charge, primer, casing, crimp, data source to including the test barrel listed in the data source, anticipated velocity, powder measure rotor #, and chronograph data. A notes section if you like. This works for me. I keep a hard copy in document protectors and reprint pages as needed. However the computer version is the primary. The hard copy is a backup in case of a computer crash. A good idea is to keep your data on a flash drive, which isolates it until needed and if the computer goes bye-bye, you still have your data. See example page below, .38 Special, 148 Lead Hollow Base Wadcutter. As you can see, I've been at this awhile.

Bullet: Speer (swaged) 148 LHBWC
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Load Number: 28 Date Established: 1APR86
Powder Charge: 3.2 WW231 Primer: CCI500
Brass: Misc. Crimp: Roll
O.A.L.: 1.180” Data Source: Hornady#3
Est. Velocity: 740 LDPMR#: 2 D/S Test BBL.: 4”Rev.
Chrony Data: 30DEC93: DB.38 (4”) AV.768/ES.53/AD.20/E.194.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Load Number: 29 Date Established: 1APR86
Powder Charge: 2.9 Bullseye Primer: CCI500
O.A.L.: 1.180” Data Source: Hornady#3
Est. Velocity: 775 LDPMR#: 2 D/S Test BBL.: 4”Rev.
Chrony Data: 30DEC93: DB.38 (4”) AV.760/ES.79/AD.18/E.190.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Load Number: 181 Date Established: 30DEC93
Powder Charge: 4.3 AA5 Primer: CCI500
O.A.L.: 1.180” Data Source: A.A.Gd.#5
Est. Velocity: 725 LDPMR#: 2 D/S Test BBL.: 4”Rev.
Chrony Data: 30DEC93: DB.38 (4”) AV.776/ES.89/AD.22/E.198.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Load Number: 368 Date Established: 30DEC08
Powder Charge: 3.5 HP-38 Primer: CCI500
Brass: Starline Crimp: Roll
O.A.L.: 1.180” Data Source: Speer#14
Est. Velocity: 825 LDPMR#: 3 D/S Test BBL.: 6”Rev.
Chrony Data: 29DEC08/S&W M-10 (4”) AV.751/ES.34/AD.13/E.185
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It is well that war is so terrible. We should grow too fond of it."
R.E. Lee at Fredericksburg

Last edited by kjm1016; 03-09-2010 at 14:30..
kjm1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 14:30   #6
Run&Shoot

Similar but I don't have separate columns for each aspect of bullet, case, and primer. For instance the one bullet column would have a value such as "170 gr. Lead TC, Dardas"

I leave room below each entry for a line or two of range results comments which now include chrony stats, accuracy, and functioning notes. Takes up more room vertically but the notes are critical to know what works and how well.

I also have a separate section just for favorite loads with each bullet type within each cartridge.
Run&Shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 14:49   #7
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

Here's mine.

Reloading

It's an Excel spreadsheet that anyone may have by e-mailing me at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net.
Old 03-09-2010, 17:00   #8
HAMMERHEAD

My highly advanced log book.
Reloading
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 17:06   #9
PCJim

Mine logbook is two fold...

A pocket-sized 6 ring binder sits on the reloading bench that has the date, caliber, type of brass, number of rounds, primer, powder, charge, bullet size and mfg, COL and data source listed. Every batch of rounds I've ever made is in that logbook.

Second is an Excel file with the same information, plus any particular observations when any test loadings were fired. This is cross-referenced back to each bench top logbook entry. I use the Excel file for quick sorting and for carrying with me to look up loads when away from home.

Chronograph results are kept only in the Excel file, in a separate workbook. They are also cross-referenced back to the batch entry in the primary workbook.

ETA - after seeing Hammerhead's photo entry, mine looks mighty similar...

Last edited by PCJim; 03-09-2010 at 17:07..
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:29   #10
G36_Me

kjm1016
what do the abbrev. in these lines mean?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:31   #11
G36_Me

Run&Shoot
regarding:
I leave room below each entry for a line or two of range results comments which now include chrony stats, accuracy, and functioning notes. Takes up more room vertically but the notes are critical to know what works and how well.

I think I will try this and see if I like it. Better than writing in the margins as I am doing now.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:52   #12
StoneDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD View Post
My highly advanced log book.
Reloading
Granted I'm a total newb and have only been through one round of reloading, but this is almost exactly what mine looks like.
StoneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:01   #13
DoctaGlockta

Reloading

Wow I think I might need some simplification after seeing everyone's.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 13:33   #14
PCJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36_Me View Post
kjm1016
what do the abbrev. in these lines mean?
I'll take a run on this, although the "E" did have me going for a short while...

LDPMR#2 - Lee Powder Measure Rotor Number
AV - Average Velocity of shot string
ES - Extreme Spread of shot string (high velocity minus low velocity)
AD - Average Deviation of shot string (see your calculus professor)
E - Energy (average velocity x average velocity x bullet weight. His notation is in thousands)
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 15:03   #15
johnjohn

I copied a page from my Lyman reloading manual.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 16:39   #16
marchboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
Reloading

I Like this one. Going to use this instead of the one I have been using. Mine was a LOT more complicated than this.
The obama administration and the democrat party...the ultimate in domestic corruption and dedicated to the destruction of the United States.
marchboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 16:59   #17
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
Reloading

Hey, isn't that the schematic for the warp drive system on the Starship Enterprise? No, wait, I'm sorry... it's a copy of my last divorce decree.

Now that I see it with a clear mind I think I found the problem.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 17:06   #18
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

It took me a while, but I was able to find a copy of Jack's first reloading log book. The scribe isn't recognizable, perhaps he can explain it...

Reloading
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 03-11-2010 at 17:07..
Old 03-11-2010, 17:14   #19
dudel

Mine's sort of easy now. I wrote an application to log all the stuff (because I could, and my handwriting is terrible). It's web based, so I can access it from the phone in the garage or in the store.

In the garage I can look up loads, at the store, I can review inventory.

It prints labels for ammo boxes, calculates cost per round (or per 100) based on the components it's using. Tells me when I'm running low on various components. It also prints targets.

I'll be adding a balistic calculator function and an inventory of important serial numbers.

What can I say, it keeps me off the streets.

Don
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 17:36   #20
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
It took me a while, but I was able to find a copy of Jack's first reloading log book. The scribe isn't recognizable, perhaps he can explain it...

Reloading

That's my second log book... my first one is still available for viewing on cave walls. (Wise ass)

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 18:04   #21
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn View Post
I copied a page from my Lyman reloading manual.
Good idea, but that tells you what you *can* use.. not necessarily what you've used, and what you've liked...

IGF
RIP Jack
Old 03-12-2010, 17:53   #22
DoctaGlockta

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post

Reloading
That has to be one of the best ball busting posts ever on GTR.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 18:17   #23
jaybirdjtt

Better than Hammerhead's but only slightly. It is a thick spiral notebook with tabs for caliber. I don't get too fancy. Rifles loads have alot of remarks regarding pressure or MV if it's chrono'd plus accuracy. I will cut out targets and save "screamers" stapled to the page, like those really nice 3/8", 5 shot 223 loads or 1/2" 25/06 loads. I don't experiment "ad nauseum" but will work up some good, accurate loads for different bullet weights and then just stick with those. 223,243, 25-06, 7mm RM, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H and used to load 300 Weatherby, 264 Winchester Mag and 45-70 for a Ruger.
Pistols, it depends. I load 9mm, 45 ACP, 38 Spcl, 357, 44 mag and used to load 223 and 30/30 when I had a Contender. If the pistol will be shot beyond 25 or so yards, I will spend some time on accuracy loads.
I keep stuff simple and have never bothered with computer spread sheets. It's worked for me since 1960 this way. I'll tell you, not much has really changed in 50 years except your choice of powder has increased exponentially.
jaybirdjtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 18:33   #24
LoadedTech

I LOL'd seriously at 4-5 posts here. Thanks guys I needed that. I come up with a working load and shoot the heck out of them. But then again, I have only used 3 different powders, and 3 different plated bullets, all 180gr. I write it inside the cover of the used WWB ammo box.
Old 04-28-2010, 13:06   #25
-Jeremiah-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
Mine's sort of easy now. I wrote an application to log all the stuff (because I could, and my handwriting is terrible). It's web based, so I can access it from the phone in the garage or in the store.

In the garage I can look up loads, at the store, I can review inventory.

It prints labels for ammo boxes, calculates cost per round (or per 100) based on the components it's using. Tells me when I'm running low on various components. It also prints targets.

I'll be adding a balistic calculator function and an inventory of important serial numbers.

What can I say, it keeps me off the streets.

Don
Sounds interesting! Is this something that you're willing to share?