Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-24-2010, 17:34   #1
DeereDriver

Basic/Economy rifle pics for leftys

First off let me say thank you for the great articles you've posted here. you answered most of my questions and given me a great foundation to build on. I'm sure I'll be going back to them often in the future.

I do everything righty with the exception of shooting long guns and as a result my options are somewhat limited as far as a basic/economy bolt guns in lefty. The only Remington 700 in .308 is the SPS Varnmit with a 26" barrel and a 1:12 twist. If I understand correctly I'm going to want something with a 1:10 so that i can shoot heaver bullets. That leaves me with the Savage 10 FLCP-K that gives me the desired 1:10 twist but gives up 2" in barrel length @ 24". Is it worth giving up 2" of barrel length and there for MV for the higher twist rate?

Over time I'll want to upgrade the stock and barrel is one better than the other for upgrading later?

again thanks for all the fantastic info.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:07   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

First, there is nothing wrong with the 1:12 twist unless you need to shoot bullets heavier than 190gr (going by Berger's chart), and the most common long-range bullets for .308 are the 155, 168, and 175.

Second, there is really no problem with a lefty using a RH bolt rifle. It is actually more efficient to operate a "wrong handed" rifle because you can retain a firing grip with your strong hand and run the bolt with your weak hand. The only circumstance where this does not work is slung up sitting or prone, and these are not particularly common situations unless you are shooting an NRA-HP match.

A .308 with a 24" is fine for long-range shooting. Since .308 is less overbore than cartridges like .260 or 7mm RM, you lose less velocity than you would with those two. The AI-AWP .308 I have shot since 2005 has a 24" barrel.

hope this helps
Zak

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 16:27   #3
DeereDriver

thanks for the reply Zak. I've been chewing on it for a couple of weeks. A right hand gun is going to be a lot easier to find for sure. I'm new to the long gun game and I'm trying to determine how much I'll be using a sling. My goal is to be consistent at 500 yards and beyond so I'm guessing that most of that will happen prone from a bi pod or sitting with a sling. I just may try some competitive shooting that might require rapid fire so I'm kind of on the fence not knowing for sure what my needs are really going to be.

I've read some of the articles on practical long range shooting and that's kind of what got me started down this road. Do you find yourself using a sling much in that type of comp or do you shoot from a bi pod or pack?
Old 05-08-2010, 17:07   #4
Zak Smith
3Gunner

For the types of matches I shoot and administer, slung shots are pretty rare- however, from time to time the natural terrain will dictate that some sort of sitting/kneeling position is required, and in these cases adding the sling can be helpful (but not mandatory if you have shooting sticks).

Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote