Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:36   #1
VN350X10

10MM Carbine/Rifle ?

While I'm aware of the Mec-Tech conversions, the H&K MP 10's, & the Olympic Arms 10MM uppers, Has anyone ever produced a dedicated carbine in 10MM ?
I think I remember a conversion of the M-1 Carbine chambered in 10MM, but I can't be sure.

thanks !

uncle albert
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Certified Instructor for Rifle & Pistol, Illinois State Rifle Assn. - Life Member, GSSF Life Member,N.R.O.I. level I, IL Glockers #34
G: 19,20(x2),21,22,23(x2),24,27,29,34,35 & 36 (still counting)
USPSA, IDPA,
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 14:58   #2
Myself

There were a few custom 10mm carbines made over the years. Also if you like obscure you can try to find a d-max carbine. They are very hard to find but nice. Similar in looks to a sten gun, they run on grease gun mags and have wooden stocks.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 16:55   #3
Retired Squid

T/C made 10mm barrel's for the Contender rifle version in 16" I think, or at least that's what a local friend has told me that is very big in the T/C Contender. I think it was probably a offering from their Custom Shop at that time.

I have seen 6.5", 10", 12" and 14" barrels on the internet and a 14" barrel can be used with the rifle stocks. I have a 10" and I think a member here has a 12" or 14" barrel.
Retired Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:56   #4
NordicG3K
10mm Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Squid View Post
T/C made 10mm barrel's for the Contender rifle version in 16" I think, or at least that's what a local friend has told me that is very big in the T/C Contender. I think it was probably a offering from their Custom Shop at that time.

I have seen 6.5", 10", 12" and 14" barrels on the internet and a 14" barrel can be used with the rifle stocks. I have a 10" and I think a member here has a 12" or 14" barrel.
Don't forget, anything under 16" with a stock is an NFA item.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for info and discussion on the Bren Ten and other 10mm firearms!
NordicG3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 19:00   #5
Myself

There is a 16" barrel for the Thompson. I have a carbine set up like that.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 19:03   #6
Retired Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicG3K View Post
Don't forget, anything under 16" with a stock is an NFA item.
When sold as a pistol with 14" barrel you can put a rifle stock on it and its still a pistol. You and I can't take a 10/22 rifle and cut it down to a pistol and use or sell it but the mfg can and does. Now you can take that Ruger pistol and drop it in a rifle stock and it's still classified as a pistol and legal to use.

In T/C it is the receiver that is classed as rifle or pistol, so you can put a 21" rifle barrel and stock on the pistol and it's still a pistol and legal. Now if it's a "rifle" receiver then you can't put the pistol barrel on it and be legal, even though they are basically the same.

The thing is with a T/C you can probably get away with the switches (the install of pistol barrel on rifle) because of mfg offerings of receivers that are almost identical for pistol and rifle and who would know until caught doing something else that was illegal. To me being a 10mm shooter and having a G2 Contender pistol and a 10" barrel in 10mm auto, the thought of buying a rifle stock is intriguing to me, but I just don't see the need for spending the money.

The T/C for me is just a range toy, not a hunting or defense gun. I have G20/29 for personal defense and several large bore rifles for hunting or target, the G2 was more of an idea for 10mm test bed gun that has sprung out of a failed idea of using G2 as a first gun for a young grandson but the 12" bull barrel was too heavy and trigger reach too long for him.
Old 05-08-2010, 19:12   #7
Retired Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself View Post
There is a 16" barrel for the Thompson. I have a carbine set up like that.
Would "was a 16" barrel" be better stated for T/C made barrel?

Think I would rather have my Marlin 1894P 44 Rem Mag for hunting, but that's just me. That said I guess it would be fun rolling your own ammo for it and playing with velocity and accuracy loads for a shooting hobby.
Old 05-08-2010, 20:10   #8
NordicG3K
10mm Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Squid View Post
When sold as a pistol with 14" barrel you can put a rifle stock on it and its still a pistol. You and I can't take a 10/22 rifle and cut it down to a pistol and use or sell it but the mfg can and does. Now you can take that Ruger pistol and drop it in a rifle stock and it's still classified as a pistol and legal to use.

In T/C it is the receiver that is classed as rifle or pistol, so you can put a 21" rifle barrel and stock on the pistol and it's still a pistol and legal. Now if it's a "rifle" receiver then you can't put the pistol barrel on it and be legal, even though they are basically the same.

The thing is with a T/C you can probably get away with the switches (the install of pistol barrel on rifle) because of mfg offerings of receivers that are almost identical for pistol and rifle and who would know until caught doing something else that was illegal. To me being a 10mm shooter and having a G2 Contender pistol and a 10" barrel in 10mm auto, the thought of buying a rifle stock is intriguing to me, but I just don't see the need for spending the money.

The T/C for me is just a range toy, not a hunting or defense gun. I have G20/29 for personal defense and several large bore rifles for hunting or target, the G2 was more of an idea for 10mm test bed gun that has sprung out of a failed idea of using G2 as a first gun for a young grandson but the 12" bull barrel was too heavy and trigger reach too long for him.
This is not correct. Check with BATFE. There are numerous kits that involve adding a stock to a Glock and these all require that the pistol be registered as a short barreled rifle. Same thing when putting a folding stock on a Heckler & Koch SP89 pistol. Also, you cannot buy a AR15 pistol and then simply put a stock on it. The fact that it is built as a "handgun" is irrelevant. If you take any sub-16" barreled firearm and turn it into a shoulder fired weapon without registering it as a NFA item you are committing a federal crime.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for info and discussion on the Bren Ten and other 10mm firearms!
NordicG3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 20:54   #9
VN350X10

enough of the NFA already guys !

I have a 10" for my Contender, but I was interested in a SPORTING style rifle.
There have been a lot of grease-gun types, kits, conversions, etc. but I'm thinking along the lines of a bolt action rifle.
Since the .30 Remington is actually the parent case for 10MM (hence the large primer), I was thinking along those lines; The Rem model 30S was made in .30 Rem. but it was a klunky beast, as it was based on the 1919 Enfield pattern. Most were made in .30-06, but a few other calibers were offered.
A converted M1 Carbine might do, as it works in the same pressure range.
But I really was wondering if I had missed anything that had been offered.

uncle albert
Old 05-08-2010, 20:57   #10
VN350X10

NordicG3K,
I was hoping you'd show up !
Thought if anybody knew of something in 10MM that I didn't you'd be the man.

uncle albert
Old 05-08-2010, 21:00   #11
Retired Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicG3K View Post
This is not correct. Check with BATFE. There are numerous kits that involve adding a stock to a Glock and these all require that the pistol be registered as a short barreled rifle. Same thing when putting a folding stock on a Heckler & Koch SP89 pistol. Also, you cannot buy a AR15 pistol and then simply put a stock on it. The fact that it is built as a "handgun" is irrelevant. If you take any sub-16" barreled firearm and turn it into a shoulder fired weapon without registering it as a NFA item you are committing a federal crime.
Sorry I guess I made it clear as mudd, but I was trying to say the mfg could do it either way, but not legal for us to do. And in the case of switching the T/C or Ruger around you probably never have anyone say anything about the T/C because of their known barrel options. Not sure the same would be true about Ruger, but I bet you money that if you swapped out for standard barrel and stock no one would ever notice unless in the woods and you were checked by game warden and he wanted to look at your gun.
Old 05-08-2010, 21:10   #12
Retired Squid

Just remembered looking at one of these at the last gun show, but it was 45ACP best I remember. Thought it would be too much fun to shooot that I would never keep up with reloading fot the thing.

http://www.guns-rifles-firearms.com/index.htm

Last edited by Retired Squid; 05-08-2010 at 21:10..
Old 05-09-2010, 04:47   #13
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Someone started a thread over in non glock firearms last week saying they had contacted Lipsey's to ask them about getting in contact with Auto Ordinance to see if a run of 10mm M-1 carbines could be done, and how many would have to be produced to do it. He said if Lipsey's got back with him he would let us know. So far I haven't heard anything back from him.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:56   #14
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Here is that thread if you want to tag it

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216477

There was also an interesting thread on a guy who had just gotten a DeLisle replica in 45. Be interesting if someone could do the same thing in 10mm.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1213191

How DUI enforcement should really work.

Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 15:35   #15
VN350X10

Thanks Bull, I'll keep my eyes on it !

uncle albert