SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:24   #21
Wolfgang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Are you saying visitors to the Commonwealth should not carry at all if open carry is their only option?
I'm saying, if you are ok in IL, why are you not ok in VA? If you feel that unsafe, stay at home. (Or move to a state that recognizes personal freedom)

What would that visitor do in NYC?

I don't get it. {Keeping in perspective the lack of gun rights in their home state} Why does one desire to show off their gun in VA? Does it make one feel big? Macho? Protected? They don't mind not being protected in their home state?

I have no problem with someone following the law in VA, so I don't really care what the OP does in VA within the law. BUT WHY is it so important? Must be because you can?
Big Dawg #140
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:42   #22
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I'm saying, if you are ok in IL, why are you not ok in VA? If you feel that unsafe, stay at home. (Or move to a state that recognizes personal freedom)

What would that visitor do in NYC?

I don't get it. {Keeping in perspective the lack of gun rights in their home state} Why does one desire to show off their gun in VA? Does it make one feel big? Macho? Protected? They don't mind not being protected in their home state?

I have no problem with someone following the law in VA, so I don't really care what the OP does in VA within the law. BUT WHY is it so important? Must be because you can?
Okay, so someone from Illinois does not deserve the same Right afforded the citizens of Virginia, especially if they appear to be applying some importance to carrying for self defense.

I see you are not a fan of open carry. I agree open carrying to show off, to project some air of superiority, those are the wrong reasons. The "protected" has pluses and minuses, depending on the carriers mindset.

That part in red, you can't be serious. Are you not aware of the grass roots efforts to bring carry to IL? Go here and read... http://www.illinoiscarry.com/ They are very busy in Illinois.

"I have no problem with someone following the law in VA, so I don't really care what the OP does in VA within the law. BUT WHY is it so important? Must be because you can?" You think, maybe, you should have posted, "...Must be because it's the only way you can?"

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:51   #23
srwhite85

Send a message via ICQ to srwhite85
Quote:
VA is safer than IL.

You don't carry a gun there; why carry one here?
I don't carry in Illinois because some dumbass in Chicago runs the state and thinks guns are bad. Yet he carries one every day and is constantly surrounded by armed bodyguards. I hate the fact that I can't carry here, but for now this is where I live until I move to the safe and intelligent state of Virginia. Since I will be in Virginia visiting my dad and I can legally carry, I will. Yes, because I can, but more importantly because I will feel better knowing that should I need my Glock 19, I will have it.
srwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:12   #24
fifty2you
Bad guy

Open Carry in Virginia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwhite85

I don't carry in Illinois because some dumbass in Chicago runs the state and thinks guns are bad. Yet he carries one every day and is constantly surrounded by armed bodyguards. I hate the fact that I can't carry here, but for now this is where I live until I move to the safe and intelligent state of Virginia. Since I will be in Virginia visiting my dad and I can legally carry, I will. Yes, because I can, but more importantly because I will feel better knowing that should I need my Glock 19, I will have it.
I second this ! Have a great time
fifty2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:30   #25
Wolfgang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Okay, so someone from Illinois does not deserve the same Right afforded the citizens of Virginia, especially if they appear to be applying some importance to carrying for self defense.

I see you are not a fan of open carry. I agree open carrying to show off, to project some air of superiority, those are the wrong reasons. The "protected" has pluses and minuses, depending on the carriers mindset.
"
"I see you are not a fan of open carry." Are you a mind reader? I doubt it. I also doubt you have any idea what I think or how I feel about it.

"Okay, so someone from Illinois does not deserve the same Right afforded the citizens of Virginia, " Again, you miss the mark. It should not be a VA or an IL issue. The 2nd should apply to all in each and every state.

Saying someone from Illinois does not deserve the same Right afforded the citizens of Virginia is almost like saying ......... on second thought I would open a real can of worms, so I won't go there!

Enjoy the visit to VA. It is a nice place to live---well, most of it, anyway!
Big Dawg #140

Last edited by Wolfgang; 05-11-2010 at 12:30..
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:46   #26
coondog22554
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
"I see you are not a fan of open carry." Are you a mind reader? I doubt it. I also doubt you have any idea what I think or how I feel about it.

"Okay, so someone from Illinois does not deserve the same Right afforded the citizens of Virginia, " Again, you miss the mark. It should not be a VA or an IL issue. The 2nd should apply to all in each and every state.

Saying someone from Illinois does not deserve the same Right afforded the citizens of Virginia is almost like saying ......... on second thought I would open a real can of worms, so I won't go there!

If your message is not clear don't blame the listener.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:53   #27
ross2004
Mark it zero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley View Post
No you can carry loaded and starting July first even those without permits can keep a loaded handgun in their glovebox, center console or any other closed storage compartment.
And, you can have a gun on your person in an establishment that serves alcohol, as long as you aren't drinking yourself.
ross2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 13:14   #28
srwhite85

after july 1st is there any places I am not aloud to have a gun?
Old 05-11-2010, 14:20   #29
RussP

Quote:
How do you feel about open carry, well, wait, what do you think about the people who open carry?
Quote:
Good.
Quote:
Good.
Quote:
Yes, that's true.

Old 05-11-2010, 14:30   #30
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwhite85 View Post
after july 1st is there any places I am not aloud to have a gun?
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

Go to the above link. It's been updated.

Old 05-11-2010, 19:51   #31
snuggles

Even before July 1 you could open carry into places that serve alcohol, it's always been that way. That bill just allows concealed carry now, with a chp, in said establishments. So don't worry about restaurants, or any july 1 deadline, if you don't have a chp.

Enjoy your visit!
snuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:12   #32
Kiladonut

If its anything like PA you cant have your handgun with you in your car without a LTCF because its considered concealed. Unless things have changed in the past year.
Kiladonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:37   #33
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwhite85 View Post
Enjoy your stay, and your freedom, in our fine and beautiful state and spend lots of money while here. In case I missed it, in which part of our state are you visiting?
Old 05-12-2010, 06:52   #34
mkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiladonut View Post
If its anything like PA you cant have your handgun with you in your car without a LTCF because its considered concealed. Unless things have changed in the past year.
In VA you can have an openly carried handgun without a CHP.

In certain cities without a CHP you can not carry a handgun openly with more then a 20 round magazine, or that can accommodate a silencer.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-287.4

Also a comment earlier in the thread made it sound like closer towards DC OC will get people upset. I would tend to disagree. The area I tend to OC in is directly across the river from DC, and I have never had a problem. I OC 90% of my time within 3-4 miles of DC, so in one of the most urban areas in northern virginia, with no problems.

Have fun, and be safe.
mkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:51   #35
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkl View Post
In VA you can have an openly carried handgun without a CHP.

In certain cities without a CHP you can not carry a handgun openly with more then a 20 round magazine, or that can accommodate a silencer.

Also a comment earlier in the thread made it sound like closer towards DC OC will get people upset. I would tend to disagree. The area I tend to OC in is directly across the river from DC, and I have never had a problem. I OC 90% of my time within 3-4 miles of DC, so in one of the most urban areas in northern virginia, with no problems.

Have fun, and be safe.

I'm in Nova too. I don't OC often, but the times I have it was not an issue.

Due to several cases in recent years of OC'rs being harassed and arrested by police unlawfully, and some resulting lawsuits I would say that NOVA Police are very familiar with OC laws and even if the sheeple do call 911 on you the responding officer should handle it very professionally.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:56   #36
gbambeck1
Tinfoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien-Glocker View Post
From 1 July 2010 forward non-CHP holders can have a loaded handgun in a private vehicle concealed if it is in an unlocked (or locked if you wish) container or compartment--glove box. See HB 885. There is no longer a requirement to be in plain sight.

That is GREAT!! Finally! Thank you for the info. Does this include while the vihicle is motion or only when parked and unattended?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:02   #37
swinokur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbambeck1 View Post
That is GREAT!! Finally! Thank you for the info. Does this include while the vihicle is motion or only when parked and unattended?
The law makes no distinction about vehicle movement. it also includes vessels.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:13   #38
srwhite85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
Enjoy your stay, and your freedom, in our fine and beautiful state and spend lots of money while here. In case I missed it, in which part of our state are you visiting?
My Dad lives in Falls Mills. Its pretty close to West Virginia.
Old 05-12-2010, 20:27   #39
Lawman90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbambeck1 View Post
No mags over 20 rounds I believe
This is correct! Thank god for spare mags though.

Lawman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 19:44   #40
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross2004 View Post
And, you can have a gun on your person in an establishment that serves alcohol, as long as you aren't drinking yourself.
If you are OC'ing, you may imbibe though we who OC tend to frown on that because of the image it creates.