SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2010, 16:02   #1
George Tichbourne
Deceased

Just an Intro to Custom Knifemaking

I know that a lot of people look at custom knifemaking a an artsy sort of thing and out of touch with the real world. I hope to help people understand what is really going on there.

Custom knifemakers have been described as the biggest R & D department that the knife industry could ever ask for and they work for nothing. In short we custom knifemakers are always trying to come up with something new, innovative and cost effective and the factories watch what is being done in the custom world to try to stay ahead of the market trends.

Some custom makers manage to license their designs to the knife industry which in turn trades on the maker's reputation and name to increase their sales and the maker benifits from royalties. A very few custom makers manage to transition from the custom market to manufacturing and marketing their own line.

In short we are a wealth of information on materials used, methods of manufacture, design elements, and we even are very helpful to new or upcoming knife lovers or maker.

I would like to hear from you.

George
Old 05-21-2010, 06:02   #2
George Tichbourne
Deceased

Don't hesitate to ask questions

Greetings,

Many of you likely have a factory knife as your EDC. There's nothing wrong with that there are some great factory knives to be had. Before I started turning out my own folders I've always carried one.

Some of you will have a few custom knives around that you use for hunting, camping, cooking, Cowboy Action Shooting, military use etc. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have. Would enjoy hearing from you and there is no such thing as a stupid question. We all have our own areas of expertise and experience, asking others is how we broaden our knowledge base.

It's a little lonesome over here, feel free to send me some questions.